Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anazon increased their free shipping to $49

Amazon has quietly increased their free shipping amount to $49. It was $35 yesterday .
I understand the postage went up , but being required to either spend $49 ; pay high shipping costs or pay $99 a year for Prime will make it less desirable to shop on line . People may not want or need to spend $49 on products .

The rate increases by the Post Office and other shipping companies may kill the Golden Goose ( on line shopping)

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yikes.

That's the only place I do online shopping because I get Amazon gift cards for doing a few surveys here and there. Guess I'll be giving that up now. I don't want to use up all my Amazon cash just to get free shipping and quite honestly, most of what I buy I can get offline.

I will miss the boxes appearing at my doorstep, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I will continue to shop with Amazon , because they have a lot of things I can't find locally . However I can foresee I will have fewer orders due to the increase in the minimum requirement for free shipping.

In the past if I wanted something I just ordered it and found enough from my wish list to meet the $35 requirement . Now wanting to buy something but needing to spend an additional $25-$30 or more will be a deal breaker for me . I will wait until I have $49 in "must have " merchandise before I place an order.

In the long run I will probably spend less money which is good
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was shocked how much more it costs me to mail packages. It was a big jump!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I was shocked how much more it costs me to mail packages. It was a big jump!
I mailed a couple of things last week and I was shocked too. Now a 1.7ounce greeting card in a 6" x 9" bubble envelope is $2.54 and it only had to go 17.6 miles . Before the rate increase it was $2.32. So that is a 9.5% increase
And both cards were going the same distance .

And it is not just the Post Office that raised their rates. All the shipping companies followed suit

Look for local and on-line stores to be raising their prices to cover this nearly 10% increase . All business products and merchandise are delivered so the stores are getting hit with much higher delivery charges on their orders .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #6  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 632 Likes on 443 Posts

I will have a tough time getting to the $49 dollars!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

PTI raised there free shipping minimum to $80.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Scrap-Mart used to have free shipping on anything small. Dies, Stamps, Copics etc. Now they have a $35 minimum for free shipping . Also in the past they would ship one item free . Now you have to place a $20 order . They will not accept any order under $20 even when you pay the shipping.

I still buy from them because a $35 order is not difficult to attain especially if you are buying dies.

Now I need an attitude adjustment . In the past I ordered things from Amazon that I could buy locally, but if the price was the same I liked the convenience of having them delivered .

Now I will need to only buy things on line that I can't buy locally .
Yesterday I bought 2 things locally that were on my Amazon wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I LOVE Amazon Prime. You don't have to wait until you have the minimum shipping amount unless it's an add-on item. It has paid for itself over and over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I shopped a lot, was in a hurry for packages to be delivered and was not already happy with Netflix, I'd definitely consider Amazon Prime. But I don't, I'm not and I am, so I'll stick with the basics.

It wasn't that long ago that Amazon offered free shipping with a $25 purchase. Then it jumped $10 to $35 and now a $14 increase to $49. I wish my income would see the same increase! Instead, mine seems to be going the opposite direction. :shock:

My son and I usually wait until we each want something on Amazon, then we place our order together. We did this last week, and between our two items our before tax purchase was barely $36. Future purchases will probably be few and far between. Thankfully, both of us are good at waiting and saving up for what we want, now we'll just have to wait and save a little longer.

But I don't think the increased postage rates or free shipping amounts will have a huge impact on Internet shops. There are plenty of people who think nothing of placing orders, no matter the cost, just as long as they get what they want when they want it.

Last edited by melissa59; 02-22-2016 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I could not find fitted sheets with separate pillow cases recently in my city. I quickly found them on Amazon and had them in a week. Considering it is 1.05 in Canada to mail a simple letter and how hit or miss our post delivery is I am happy to keep using Amazon, and they deliver on sundays as well.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I LOVE Amazon Prime. You don't have to wait until you have the minimum shipping amount unless it's an add-on item. It has paid for itself over and over.
I also love Amazon Prime, and it was a good investment for our family. I buy many things online, not just papercraft items. The savings in shipping has been substantial.

I would have spent much time and gas money driving to check out the bargains for stuff we needed that I found on Amazon for a very good price.

Recently I purchased a very nice Rollator walker with large wheels for my husband on Amazon. It was under $60, with free shipping. Local prices on the same walker were over $100!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I have also found that many of the craft items on Amazon are the same as the 40% off price at Hobby Lobby. Even if I didn't make up the cost of shipping every year, the fact that I don't have to contend with weekend traffic, search the stores only to find out they are out of stock, and stand in long lines make Prime worth every penny. More time to craft, not shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

If you order at least $25 of eligible books, your order ships free. I just ordered $30 of books yesterday, and it is shipping free. I believe I could have added crafty or other itmes and it would have shipped free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm in Canada and thought I'd take a look on Amazon.ca to see about shipping increases. Most of the products I have on my wish list still say free shipping on orders over $25 CDN. Might be worth some of you shopping on Amazon.com to switch to the Canadian site, especially with the CDN dollar so low. Granted we don't have as big of a variety as available in the USA and the prices can be marked up quite a bit, but it might be worth doing a little research to see if there are any savings to be had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never get out of Amazon without spending $49 anyways. I've gotten so much free shipping with them (large items) over the years that a bump in the minimum doesn't bother me. The fact that they ship larger items at all with free shipping is a great thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I recently got Amazon Prime for the first time when they were offering it for $73 or something similar. I have done trials but never bit at the $99. I didn't even notice the minimum went up. I may not be able to see it as a Prime member. I really like getting one or two items at a time and having them show up pretty quickly the same week I order. I get several things from Amazon on a normal basis including supplements for both me and my dogs and I need to make sure I have them when I need them. I also love the Amazon Prime streaming. They have a lot of stuff that Netflix doesn't have and vice versa so I have both. I've had Netflix for many years and I don't think I would give it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't been able to read all the other responses. Maybe it has already been answered. I heard that one of the main reasons that the price went up was that they are hoping that instead of paying that extra shipping that it would encourage buyers to become Prime members where the shipping is free and Prime membership is only 99 a year. I actually got it last year and love it. I use the Amazon videos, similar to netflix. I'm kind'a glad that I did get the Prime. I have more than got my moneys worth on it. I've been finding all kinds of regular household things, crafting things, electronics and yes books too.

Anyway, that may shine a light on it a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had Amazon Prime for several years and it's worth every single penny to me! My family is quite spread out, so letting Amazon play Santa for me is wonderful! I can send dishes to one daughter and a percolator to another and an easel to a grandchild and I don't have to pay twice as much for shipping as the gift costs! I also find things there for really good prices that I've never even seen anywhere else. Plus, I have a Kindle Fire and Amazon Fire TV...

Just as an amusing side note, I went to order ONE item from Creative Memories and the shipping was outrageous. There was a button to click if you wanted to see how much more you'd have to spend for free shipping. Know what the minimum was? $450.00!!! I backed right out of that website and never looked back! Found a similar product elsewhere for $20 less, anyway...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't think you can order from Amazon.ca unless you have a Canadian address - I can't shop at Amazon.com anymore unless I use my US Postal Box and go and pick it up - which after $10.00 in tolls is not worth it. I shop their site from time to time, but I get so darned annoyed and downright mad when I see garbage like this, which you get A LOT of here in Canada:
Amazon.ca: molotow masking pen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiagcView Post
I don't think you can order from Amazon.ca unless you have a Canadian address - I can't shop at Amazon.com anymore unless I use my US Postal Box and go and pick it up - which after $10.00 in tolls is not worth it. I shop their site from time to time, but I get so darned annoyed and downright mad when I see garbage like this, which you get A LOT of here in Canada:
Amazon.ca: molotow masking pen
I'm in Canada and can order from both the .com and and the .ca sites but some things the USA site won't ship to Canada and I assume it would be the reverse for shipping from Canada to the USA. I must go take a peek on the .ca version and see what I can find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 03:42 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I just checked and it is indeed the same. Some products on the Canadian site can be sent to USA addresses.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=918768
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Default Amazon Prime

I too have had Amazon Prime for many years. To say I love it is an understatement. I did 90% of my holiday shopping online at Christmas. I don't miss driving all over to find what I want. If I am at a store I'll check the Amazon price before I buy. Quite often the price is much better with Amazon. We live in a small city and shopping options are limited. I love that I can sit at home and find what I need online. We're a tall family so much of what we wear has to be special order as no one carries our size in the stores. That's what originally drove me to online shopping and now I'm happy to stay there. $99 per year is little compared to driving all over trying to find a deal.
Reply With Quote Likes