Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I can't imagine how this increases security. So a postal worker hand stamps it. How does this increase security?
Yes, it makes no sense. And, they say you can use the automated postage machines to weigh and print your postage at the PO. How does that make a package safer?

I can see that they want everything digital so it can be scanned and machined. But don't hide behind the excuse that it is only for safety.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
ok- dumb question here.....when you use click and ship....what do you print on so that it sticks to your package? Or are you just taping the label?
I use Paypal shipping all the time (I sell on etsy), and I get half page labels on ebay. I just turn off the receipt option on Paypal, so I print one label, and then feed it thru the other way on the printer to get the 2nd label.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Yes, it makes no sense. And, they say you can use the automated postage machines to weigh and print your postage at the PO. How does that make a package safer?

I can see that they want everything digital so it can be scanned and machined. But don't hide behind the excuse that it is only for safety.
It makes total sense for security, here's why:

1.) Gets everyone that is mailing something heavier than a letter out into daylight (or tracked) and has them being seen by someone. Imagine how much someone doing something really wrong does not want to have to go to the post office with their envelope/box full of
whatever.

2.) They can ask you if you have anything perishable, liquid, or hazardous etc etc. This way, they are covered for liability--hey, they asked and you lied.

3.) They want to get your information as often as possible when you mail so that they can track it if they need to for security purposes--when you use online mailing software, you have to give your own address as well as the one that you are mailing to--more people are likely to use these rather than go to the P.O.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #44  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyStampFrogView Post
It makes total sense for security, here's why:

1.) Gets everyone that is mailing something heavier than a letter out into daylight (or tracked) and has them being seen by someone. Imagine how much someone doing something really wrong does not want to have to go to the post office with their envelope/box full of
whatever.

2.) They can ask you if you have anything perishable, liquid, or hazardous etc etc. This way, they are covered for liability--hey, they asked and you lied.

3.) They want to get your information as often as possible when you mail so that they can track it if they need to for security purposes--when you use online mailing software, you have to give your own address as well as the one that you are mailing to--more people are likely to use these rather than go to the P.O.
You stated it much more eloquently than I did (back in post # 33).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyStampFrogView Post
lol Imagine the story reenactment on the show "America's Dumbest Criminals" for the one that didn't lie...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
When people say, "No metered strips" they generally mean the kind produced by a machine made by Pitney-Bowes that businesses buy to do their mail with...it produces those barcode strips across the bottom and a printed postage on the corner of the envelope. Metered strips do NOT mean the postage you print off using the kiosk at the post office or the postage you print using click 'n ship.
So, If I used click n ship and printed off postage - how will that work for a hostess? It won't be dated for the day that she ships out. It seems like it's just like a metered strip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJJView Post
So, If I used click n ship and printed off postage - how will that work for a hostess? It won't be dated for the day that she ships out. It seems like it's just like a metered strip.
You have the option of selecting a date 4 days out. I just select the furthest date out...no one has ever had a problem using it to mail my swaps back even if it isn't the date I specified.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

You can still use stamps, you just have to give it to a USPS employee. You do not have to buy their metered postage.

Since it was the same rule for 16 oz. before, this is not a big deal.

(And don't lie, that's not funny.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have two different ways of printing my postage. I use stamps.com so I can actually print postage stamps that will stick to my envelopes and I use the Click n ship from the post office. They both are used for different reasons. I can print the actual stamps from stamps.net (when I signed up they gave us a free digital scale) and I print the shipping labels for priority or parcel post packages from here. I ALWAYS cover the entire lable with clear shipping tape and have never had one voided or returned. I do a lot of shipping so I take advantage almost every day of the pick up at my home. They (the post office) even supplied me with some plastic bins for the front porch. I love the convenience of this. I put it out in the morning and it is gone when I come home, ready to fill the bin again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

oops...stamps.com not net.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Awhile back, I sent out a card with the clear SU! envelopes and had no problems. Shortly there after, sent out another card with the clear SU! envelope (a card for a friend's birthday) and I come to receive it back more than a week later. I come to find that there was a change in the PO "regulations" and that an additional .17cents was needed to mail something in a clear envelope. Hmm, not only did the birthday card arrive very late to my friend, but I had to pay an addition to the .41cents it already takes to send a letter. I wonder what tomorrow's newest rule will involve with the Post Office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

What we might have to start doing with Swaps is Pay the person who is doing the swap money via Paypal or Money Order.

This would be for the envelope inside the swap envelope.

I learn something about a week ago. from my local Post Office.

They will not send out any Flat Rate Envelope if it has been taped anywhere.

I taped down the corners of the envelope because they looked like they weren't going to hold.

And I tape across the top on the corner.

I told them if they would make a envelope that wouldn't fall apart in the mail, I wouldn't have to tape those corner's down....They told if it falls apart then there is too much inside the envelope!!

What?

Come on those envelopes are slapped together. and there isn't much holding them together.

Also I do this on my envelopes for my Card swap...I was told that I couldn't do that either.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #53  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I went to my favorite local post office (not in my town, but the next one.) I go there instead of the one in my town because the posties are actually friendly. At the one in my town, if one cracked a smile, I think his/her face would fall right off. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the automated postage machine had been removed. Wonder if they are going to get rid of all of them? :confused:

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuteblueshoesView Post

Since it was the same rule for 16 oz. before, this is not a big deal.
I agree- it's been in place for a long time, they just lowered it by 3 oz.

I personally just wish my PO would get one of those automated machines. Everywhere else I've lived has had one and I got spoiled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Too many stamps?

Has anyone heard anything abou the PO not wanting "too many stamps" on an envelope or package? I sent my package for a swap last week at a small "office" post office and the worker was concerned about putting too many stamps on the envelope and having it returned. It cost like $1.84 to mail. But maybe I outsmarted them because on the return envelope I put my address as the to and from address, so it would get returned to me anyway.
Carolina Girls Shoebox Swap #7 - June 13, 2009
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

I mail a lot of cards out in clear envelopes and I have never ever had one returned for the addtional .17 in postage. I always just use the .41. I think all the post offices are different. I know others who also have had their mail returned sometimes and sometimes not. Just another way that the post offices are not consistant.
I also mail in a flat rate 4.60 envelopes 10 packages of clear envelopes so the envelope is ready to burst...I put a lot of tape on those and I am anxious to see if any of them come back. If I have to start using the flat rate boxes it is going to get mighty expensive to purchase clear envelopes. I think they are trying to get more money out of us because so many use email and instant messages now and dont mail as much?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

I use click n ship all the time to do mailings and it does work well. Just prints out on regular white paper. I cut the receipt part off and tape the label part. It says not to tape over the barcode part, but the postmaster told me that if it doesn't read, theyjust type in the numbers. I hadn't thought about setting the date 4 days ahead and mailing for swaps. That might work if you are mailing at last minute. We bought a scale some time ago and it has been a lifesaver. Am participating in my first swap so will be watching to see how the rules change how they are run - if they do.
btw my theory about the post office is that the new postal general is a couple bubbles off level and not particularly practical in nature. So he has decided since we all use email he is going to punish us by making anything that DOES have to go snail mail is vewy, vewy coplicated. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

I just mailed a few swaps and the postal worker put tape on my envelope because he thought it needed it. I have had to pay 17 cents more on cards, not because of a clear envelope, but because of bumps. One knot and 17 cents more. I have mailed them form home though without 17 cents and they get there just fine. There are so many inconsistencies between post offices and even postal workers in the same building! I was asking about swaps and explained the whole process with swappers sending SASE. This employee told me if it was over 13oz. and had stamps on it, if it was brought to the desk, they would print a $0.00 stamp to put it on as well. I'll ask again when someone else is working though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Wow...my head hurts after reading all this...and I still don't understand!...I'll just do what they tell me and that's that I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #60  
Inking Addict

I have one that goes even better I like to play PIF and I am also in other crafting and bookswapping groups and the Jerk ask ME if I Know all the people I am sending people mail to. I told him yes in fact these friends are as close as family.
Every time I pick up mail or mail it when he is there I have a problem but after hubby chewed him a new *** hole today and my complaint that will go in monday I think I will be save in mailing my packages (anywhere from 10-20)

Irene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #61  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
For the Controlfreaks, we've gone to using video mailers for the return; if your swap hostess is aware that you want your returns done priority, she gets the envelopes/boxes ahead of time and then you just include your printed postage for her to tape on.
Since my mailman seems to enjoy folding up the priority flat rate envies, I use the video boxes for my swaps. I use the box as the return, put MY swaps in it, rubberband it closed, then put the box INSIDE the Tyvek addressed to the Hostess. Works like a charm and then the hostess doesn't have to try and find a box.

Jan - how are you printing the return postage? When I do Click & Ship, it requires a mailing date.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #62  

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbeecomerView Post
Has anyone heard anything abou the PO not wanting "too many stamps" on an envelope or package? I sent my package for a swap last week at a small "office" post office and the worker was concerned about putting too many stamps on the envelope and having it returned. It cost like $1.84 to mail. But maybe I outsmarted them because on the return envelope I put my address as the to and from address, so it would get returned to me anyway.
They don't like when you do that because they have to hand cancel each stamp. More work. Sorry, but if they won't sell $1 stamps, they're gonna get multiple 37 and 39 cent ones from my stash! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #63  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I mail a lot of cards out in clear envelopes and I have never ever had one returned for the addtional .17 in postage. I always just use the .41. I think all the post offices are different. I know others who also have had their mail returned sometimes and sometimes not. Just another way that the post offices are not consistant.
I had my Christmas cards in clear envies last year. Had the 39 cent (or whatever the rate was then) stamps on them. Went to drop them off at the counter and the postal worker said they needed an additional 12 cents each for the clear envie. All they had were 5 and 2 cent stamps which would have been too many stamps on the envelope so they were going to have to meter EACH ONE for an additional 12 cents. Rather than do that (since we have one window and there were at least 6 people in line behind me) she decided to hand cancel them and just let them go at 39 cents. Apparently the rules are determined by the person at the window at the moment you drop off your mail.

What I'm really sad about is that I'm not going to be able to use brads, knots or bows on my Christmas cards this year because if they are not "uniform thickness", they get charged at package rate which is $1.13 for the first ounce. SUCKS! Tried to mail something with a rhinestone brad and got charged $1.13 since they could feel a bump in the package. SIGH.....

At this rate, I'm gonna stamp ONE FABULOUS Christmas card, scan it and EMAIL it to everyone this year.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbeecomerView Post
But maybe I outsmarted them because on the return envelope I put my address as the to and from address, so it would get returned to me anyway.
I have heard on more than one time that if they need to return something that has the same return address as mailing they just throw it away. I don't know if that is true, but it makes sense to me, I can see people trying to scam postage that way

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #65  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycatstamperView Post
SIGH.....

At this rate, I'm gonna stamp ONE FABULOUS Christmas card, scan it and EMAIL it to everyone this year.....
I actually have done that, well not for Christmas cards but for other little holidays that I used to send a few cards out for. The prices are just getting unreal and now with all these new rules, I guess I might be doing it more often!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

A couple of thoughts...
We receive most of our mail through a mail forwarding service - sent out about once a week. They often use flat rate envelopes (the cardboard ones) and it is often stuffed, sealed with clear tape. THey send a lot, so apparently that P.O. oks that.

Regarding bumpy cards - I have seen people use crimped cs, cuttlebugged cs, bubble wrap, or that bumpy vinyl shelf liner (don't know the name). Sometimes I position it so the protection sheet is everywhere but over thebumpy ribbon or whatever, thereby evening out the thickness.

All this being careful not to exceded the quarter inch thickness, since more than that also requires additional postage. I used my exacto knife and cut a quarter inch slit in thick cardboard - if the envelope slips through it is ok.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
If my envelopes have postage already on them, I just physically hand it to a clerk without standing in line. I've never had a clerk tell me to get into line. They accept them that way, or like Ann said, they just tell me to put it on the counter. It's a quick in and out, easy peasy.

At my local one they yell at you when you do this!! and then they wonder why they have a bad rep...:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #68  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post
Awhile back, I sent out a card with the clear SU! envelopes and had no problems. Shortly there after, sent out another card with the clear SU! envelope (a card for a friend's birthday) and I come to receive it back more than a week later. I come to find that there was a change in the PO "regulations" and that an additional .17cents was needed to mail something in a clear envelope. Hmm, not only did the birthday card arrive very late to my friend, but I had to pay an addition to the .41cents it already takes to send a letter. I wonder what tomorrow's newest rule will involve with the Post Office.
Was it a square envelope? Those cost more in postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #69  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Since my mailman seems to enjoy folding up the priority flat rate envies, I use the video boxes for my swaps. I use the box as the return, put MY swaps in it, rubberband it closed, then put the box INSIDE the Tyvek addressed to the Hostess. Works like a charm and then the hostess doesn't have to try and find a box.

Jan - how are you printing the return postage? When I do Click & Ship, it requires a mailing date.....
Yes, but it doesn't print a date on there. I just choose the farthest one out...my swap hostesses have never had a problem mailing back with the label I've provided!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH my gosh! I mailed myself a priority box from Convention last week, and I used stamps on the box. I still haven't received my box yet, but maybe this is why??? I hadn't heard about this either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #71  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post
I come to find that there was a change in the PO "regulations" and that an additional .17cents was needed to mail something in a clear envelope. Hmm, not only did the birthday card arrive very late to my friend, but I had to pay an addition to the .41cents it already takes to send a letter. I wonder what tomorrow's newest rule will involve with the Post Office.
There actually hasn't been any change in the PO regulations regarding clear envelopes. Clear envelopes are considered non machinable and, therefore, have always been subject to the extra postage. I know it has been like that for at least 4 years (and I am sure longer) because I have seen it discussed many times on the CTMH consultant BB. It may just be that your PO is cracking down on the clear envelopes.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

Quote:

What I'm really sad about is that I'm not going to be able to use brads, knots or bows on my Christmas cards this year because if they are not "uniform thickness", they get charged at package rate which is $1.13 for the first ounce. SUCKS! Tried to mail something with a rhinestone brad and got charged $1.13 since they could feel a bump in the package. SIGH.....
You may want to look up the regulations on that because I mailed one a couple months ago with a knotted ribbon and the guy at the PO only charged me an extra 17 cents. If they indeed are going to be charging a $1.13 for bumping cards, then they are certainly going to be hurting because I am sure a lot of people with just forgo sending out Christmas cards.

I made a birthday card for my cousin that had a folded ribbon and a brad. I just put the 41 cents on it and dropped it in the mailbox. I later checked with my cousin and she said she got the card and there was no extra postage required.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

OK, I decided to go and look up the regulations for lumpy (or non-machinable) mail. To read it in detail, you can read it here. It looks to me that if your card meets the normal first class standards as far as size and weight but is lumpy then you should just be charged the additional 17 cents surcharge. Lisa, you might want to print the regulation out and take it with you when you mail a lumpy card again so that you don't get overcharged.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a link I posted over on another thread about mailing square cards. There is some good general information about mailing. I hope it helps to clear some of the questions. I don't know much about the 13 oz policy, but it could be an Airline restriction, as most of the mail is flown commercially. Just a thought.

http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/notices/not123/not123.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I went to the post office last night to mail a bubble envie, and I didn't even have the choice to mail it first class! I only had the option to mail Prioirity. Did they take away first class on large envelopes too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #76  
Inking Addict

I am thinking it depends on who and where you mail your stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #77  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyklpView Post
Well, I went to the post office last night to mail a bubble envie, and I didn't even have the choice to mail it first class! I only had the option to mail Prioirity. Did they take away first class on large envelopes too?
I recently mailed a small bubble envelope (about half a piece of paper) but it was really bulky and kind of weird shaped- they let me mail that first class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #78  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyklpView Post
What was the weight of your envelope? My guess is that it was over 13 oz. which is over the first class limit.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

So what exactly is the security issue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I took my swap to PO day before yesterday and THEY put stamps on it. I think they were $1 or $2 stamps plus the change. Think they're trying to make everything go Priority??
Reply With Quote Likes