Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How stampers can HELP KATRINA VICTIMS

UPDATE: I regret to inform you all that eBay has removed my listings. Seems they are being greedy by forcing sellers to go through their "charitable" sales process, therefore requiring us to pay more fees, meaning less money that goes into the pockets of the victims and more money for eBay. I am not giving up though. I still plan to find a way to "recycle" these stamp sets into good, hard cash for the victims. I will post them to some of the mail groups I belong to and sell them that way. I was just hoping that a big site like eBay would generate higher prices. Oh well...on to Plan B!

My original post:
I hope it's appropriate to post this here.
I've been struggling for days about how I can help the victims of Katrina from way up here in Virginia. Cash is tight for my family right now, and from what I'm hearing, that's what they need most. Goods aren't helpful because there is no way to get them there. The Red Cross is taking donations and converting 100% of them into debit cards that are being distributed directly to the victims so they can purchase what they need. So, here's my plan, and I want to challenge all of you to do the same:
I have gone through my retired stamps and pulled out 10 sets that I'm going to sell on eBay. I'm giving 100% of the final sales price to the Red Cross.

Now, when you go to eBay, you will see that they have set up a page where you can list your item and the proceeds go to an organization called MissionFish that gives the money to a charity of your choice. The problem I have with this is, they charge a $3 fee per item, plus a % of the final price, so the average $10 sale only amounts to about 67% that gets to the victims. I plan to just state in my listing that I'm donating the money, and I am going to accept only Money Orders as payment, and have buyers mail the money order to me, but make it out to the American Red Cross. When I receive payment, I will ship them the item and mail the money order to the ARC.

So.....I'm listing a few sets today and more over the weekend. I challenge all of you to do the same. Some of you may not have many retired sets to sell, and that's OK. Do whatever you can. Just remember, if you are a demo, you can ONLY sell RETIRED sets!

I know from my 6 years with Stampin' Up! that this is a very giving group of people. I am quite sure that SU will do something on the corporate level as well, but I want to help personally, and I know all of you do too, so let's clear those old stamps off our shelves and help those who need it!!!

Here is my first listing:
See what you all think, and use it as a "template" if you like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8216371296
I support my habit by being an SCS Fan Club member!

Last edited by Cre8tveLdy; 09-02-2005 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: new information
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think that is a really cool idea! I agree with how you are going about it too. What an awesome way to contribute!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Default Help for Katrina Victims

I am so glad to see this thread. I wrote to DS at Stampin' Up! to see if they would be doing something as we did for the Tsunami victims. This is the reply I received:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your request to aid those affected by Hurricane Katrina. We want you to know that we appreciate your desire to assist those in need at this time. Currently we have not been advised of plans to offer any sort of relief campaign; however, if we do decide to develop one it will be posted on the Web site. Thank you again for your caring and understanding. Thank you again for your e-mail. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Demonstrator Support
Stampin' Up!�

I am hoping that SU! will be doing something. I am a fairly new demo to SU! and only had a few discontinued stamp sets which I participated in the Closet Clean Out in Louisiana, so I no longer have those. There are bound to be demos in the New Orleans/South Mississippi area that have lost everything, which includes their SU! business. Keep an eye on the SU! website to see if something is posted.
Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

This is a WONDERFUL idea!!!!

Everyone that does this, please post a link to your ebay set on sale as op has done.

Thank you for doing this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:31 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Where there's a will, there's way!
Way to go !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default Help for Katrina Victims

I have noticed on the SU! Discuss Forum that several of the demos are donating 10% of their September sales to the Red Cross. I will be doing this and encourage as many of you that will to do so, also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Were your items for sale listed on EBay? I followed the link you supplied and it said your items had been removed. It seemed a rather "sinister" announcement to me, like you were some kind of scam artist!

Will you post your items on SCS (both demo and non-demo)??

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes