Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michaels canceling ALL classes

Thats right ladies you read it right. I got a call from my manager today to let me know that starting in April Michaels will no longer offer classes. Corporate says that they are loosing money by offering classes. I think this is a crock of ****. I am an instructor at my local Michaels and we always have a good turn out for our classes. If you think that corporate is wrong please contact them and let them know how you feel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

i think they are wrong in dropping the classes.
i think it is poorly run-here at our local michael's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Aww, that's sad. I've always been meating to take a class there, but never seem to have the time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

That's a shame. My kids love taking their classes.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

They have made some strange business decisions lately (like closing Recollections) and it reminds me of when they went bust as MJ Designs...

but this is good news for me - I guess attendance at my workshops will be picking up! I've already seen an increase at my crops...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Location: Trying to Stamp~But heading off to Sports, School & whatever else can fit into a day!!

Does this include the B'day parties? Dd just went to a B'day Party there and she had a blast, so I was thinking maybe we would check into it for her b'day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always thought their classes were priced too low. Wondered how instructors ever made any money teaching there. Seems like they could just raise their class fees if that's really the issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not surprised. I took my Brownie troop to their holiday workshop two years ago. They paid $4 each, and made 4 projects. The fee didn't nearly cover the cost of materials (even at wholesale) let alone the instructor's time.

I did get next week's flyer today, though, and there's a little blurb "The Knack" Where Kids Discover Coming Soon! So maybe they're re-formatting the kids' activities?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I think they are keeping the kids activities and the birthday parties
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Default WOW

I am not surprised they are dropping them but I wish they would not. I think that the Michaels by me is very poorly run. Everytime I go there they have stuff everywhere but on the shelves. The shelves are empty or disorganized and there are supplies all over the floors. I actually dread going in there. I don't have a choice most times as there aren't any other craft stores near me.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

i was informed last night by a friend of a friend who does classes at Michael's that Michael's was taken over by Staples and that is why the classes and parties are being discontinued. Also, all stores will be reset to have the same lay out.

That's what I heard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I am sorry to hear Michaels will no longer offer classes. I also feel Michaels is not the best place to shop anymore. Just recently I contacted their CS because I heard they were starting to offer their coupons online and wanted to find out how to register for this service. Well, they responded and said they did not offer their coupons online but I know this is not true. Therefore, I have decided to just shop at A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby. Maybe the customers that attended their classes should send a message and start going to classes and shopping else where. Money talks and you know what else walks. It is my understanding they required the instructors to throw away leftover products from the classes. If this is true, this is why they are loosing money from the classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof2girlsView Post
Thats right ladies you read it right. I got a call from my manager today to let me know that starting in April Michaels will no longer offer classes. Corporate says that they are loosing money by offering classes. I think this is a crock of ****. I am an instructor at my local Michaels and we always have a good turn out for our classes. If you think that corporate is wrong please contact them and let them know how you feel.

Last edited by kisa31707; 03-02-2008 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #13  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default michaels classroom

I am an instructor and also work at Michales. The Kids club is staying but it will be $5 and the supplies will be sent from corporate. Hopefully the projects will be better quality. The one we had a few weeks ago was a paper heart and a pipe cleaner to wrap around a pencil....for $2!!!!!!!!!

One of the reasons they are losing money is all the waste....someone else mentioned hearing that we throw away supplies left over from class....it is crazy what we are told to get rid of. I used to be the Event Coordinator and corporate would send us a list of supplies to "store use" and keep in our supply cabinet to use for demos and classes. If we used anything that wasn't on the list (which we were allowed to do-to make samples or for demos or for kids classes and parties) we had to throw the left overs away...even if they were usable! Even if I planned on using them later in the month for other classes!! I honestly didn't do it, I would hide things. Last year they updated the "supply list" and I had to throw away never used art supplies...paints, brushes, a carrying bag...it was a crime to put that stuff in the trash. I can't remember exactly when we were bought out, but I think the new people must be looking into the way the classroom was run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Sounds like they could use some "reorganizing" to me. Just tried to find info on the web about the Staples connection and came up with this (from the michaels home site). Back in 2006, Michaels was acquired by two private equity firms (sorry, I'm not a business person so that's greek to me) which are the Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. BC also owns/operates Staples - among many other companies - but it doesn't look like Staples has any other connection w/Michaels. And Michaels has a new CEO (a really big fish!) as of last summer and my guess is given the new owners and new CEO there is some major analysis going on of how it all works - and that probably is good news in the long run, though it will be rather an upheaval in the short run. When I say good news, it's not that I'll like the changes per se (I find Staples expensive just for example) but it's much better run than many places I go, and I know what I'll find/what to expect etc. When you have a big company (which Michaels is), it needs good management or it all falls apart and you lose money. To offer classes, they have to be worth their salt, and they need to bring IN money, not send it out. There must be "rules" as to what can and can't be done or things will get out of control Frankly, they need to restructure their classes, indeed. And some of the "rules" sounds crazy... As to competition, in our area there is little to none. We're lucky to have a Michaels at all. Hope they stick around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Does that mean they wont be doing wilton classes anymore? I loved taking the wilton class at our Michaels. It was alot of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirterView Post
Last year they updated the "supply list" and I had to throw away never used art supplies...paints, brushes, a carrying bag...it was a crime to put that stuff in the trash.

This boggles my mind. And makes me want to go to the garbage dump.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I can honestly say I guess I consider myself fortunate...the powers that be at Michael's must have hired new management teams or whatever at the 2 store I frequent...The scrapbooking department alone at both have been re-worked and cleaned up...I can totally tell you where something is in either store. The one store by me is rather old...but looks completely new now, and the other is a store that might not even be 1 year old yet...but super organized!!!! I actually like going there to shop...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Is this in Canada as well?

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I just checked my Michael's calendar and there is no March calendar. Everything is gone.

And, my husband works in the Wilton Headquarters. He was unaware of the classes being canceled and said that the last time he heard, they were expanding with classes to include EK Success, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Count me as one of those Michael's teachers who was laid off-I was told that we have until the end of March for our classes.. I guess I had better double check that now before I go check in for work tomorrow- It stinks ... totally stinks, if you ask me.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, that is surprising. I will say that for the very short time I even considered teaching at one - I was struck by the lack of management direction. They always wanted me to talk to an event coordinator, and not to slam those of you who did this and did it well - but my experience was NOT as such. They didn't know what I was talking about, even when I was specifically naming a product. They would have [I]some[I] of the product I needed, but lacking a basic tool to use it, and have no ability to order that item.

For example, what if a store had a Crop a Dile, but no eyelets? How do you demonstrate or teach a class using the tool?

It was frustrating and I went back to teaching only at specialty paper craft stores. Bigger is definitely NOT better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

I was at my local store today. March schedule is LOADED with classes. I asked if they were going to continue to have classes and they said as far as they knew they would be! I can't imagine buying cake decorating supplies without taking a class. I took a class 20 years ago and certainly couldn't even frost a cake without that class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

miceal's used to be my favorite store. i haven't bought anything there for a long time. i will go to hobby lobby but the closet one is like 30 miles away. i was at archivers lately, which is about 60 miles away but wa not all that impressed. i'll be sticking to su!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Just down the road from my work is Michaels, AC Moore and Joanne's, all within a quarter of a mile from each other. Michaels is my last choice. The store is usually messy and their selection isn't the greatest.

I didn't realise that Michaels used to be MJ Designs. I liked them back then. Of course that was over ten years ago.

If I had to rate the stores, it would be:
1. Joanne's - best customer service, selection and prices.
2. AC Moores - Sometimes there are good sales, the store is clean
3. Michael's - ..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillgunterView Post
Does that mean they wont be doing wilton classes anymore? I loved taking the wilton class at our Michaels. It was alot of fun.
Here's what I know.
The Wilton classes will continue, but the price is going up. They will continue with kids club, but it is revamped to mainly include Crayola products. They will still have BD parties, but there will be a minimum and the party kits and supplies are ordered directly from corporate so there is no more changing the numbers at the last minute. If you say you will be bringing 10 kids you have to pay for 10 even if only 8 show up. If you bring 12, too bad.

I've been an instructor there and it's a bad move in my opinion. They should revamp the program not discontinue it. The regular store employees are not required to know how to use the products, only to know where they are. If they take the instructors out of the store, they remove the expertise.
I think they will regret it. I've written a letter to the corporation letting them know what I think, since they didn't ask me in the first place.

One more thing, I'm amazed that so many of Michaels customers are unaware that there are classes for adults. They should have done more advertising instead.
I'm a princess! I've been adopted by the King of Kings! Romans 8:14-16
Come visit me at The Card Castle http://thecardcastle.blogspot.com/

Last edited by joyfulheartart; 03-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: I forgot something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had read this post... then while in Michael's yesterday.. I noticed the entire class board was taken down. Kinda sad... but at the same time.. I'd never taken a class there, even though I thought about it often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

So the Wilton cake decorating classes will continue?? I'm dying to take that and had planned on starting it the next time it ran. I took an art class and loved it.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #29  
Vintage Vixen

I was at my local Michaels tonight and it looked as if they had a full schedule of courses for March, including the Wilton cake classes. I did not ask about classes after March.

AND, I was able to use the online coupon that someone posted here (that they received as part of a test-market for online coupons)! I've been searching for that thread to post about it and haven't been able to find it. I showed it to the clerk before she starting ringing up my items and she was familiar with it so I had no problems using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

We had a meeting yesterday and classes will continue throughout March and thats it. Wilton classes will continue with a price increase and kids club will increase in price. There will be NO birthday parties. All supplies for kids club comes directly from corporate. Each store will be sent a certain number of packets for each week and once they run out on that day that is it...no more. This sucks...especially for the kids that go later in the day on Sat. They could get there and say sorry dont have enough for you.

The only good decision that I have seen come from corporate is that Michaels is getting a STATE OF THE ART CRAYOLA SECTION.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

I went to my Michaels yesterday and it was actually very cleaned up and organized....so it makes sense now why it felt different to me. I have never taken a class so that won't affect me but the store IS cleaner and in order, best I have ever seen it! Now that I think about it, a cake decorating class would be FUN!! I could add another "craft" to by belt. I'm going to look into it, thanks for all the heads up. I love this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

We had a meeting yesterday and classes will continue throughout March and thats it. Wilton classes will continue with a price increase and kids club will increase in price. There will be NO birthday parties. All supplies for kids club comes directly from corporate. Each store will be sent a certain number of packets for each week and once they run out on that day that is it...no more. This sucks...especially for the kids that go later in the day on Sat. They could get there and say sorry dont have enough for you.

The only good decision that I have seen come from corporate is that Michaels is getting a STATE OF THE ART CRAYOLA SECTION.
Well that absolutely sucks...My girls love the kids class on Saturday morning and that was a regular part of our Saturday morning in the spring and fall when my DH is hunting...

I certainly will NOT be paying $5/kid for the projects - I don't care how fabulous they are... $2 or even bumping it up to $3 is one thing but $5...

Personally I figured classes like those just covered the cost of materials in order to get you in the store...I know I would pay my $4 and know I had a good 20-30 minutes to wonder around the store and buy stuff - I usually walked out of there at least $20 poorer + depending on what they were doing in the kids craft I might be tempted to buy some of what they were useing (umm yeah the week they used the Crayola Model Magic...bought a bunch of that).

Since I have 2 kids - that would mean paying $10...to me that is just not worth it - I guess I will be saving money then...if I don't go to their store i don't buy stuff I really don't need right...

I have really hyped up the kids club to my multiples group because of the low cost of $2/kid (since everyone has at least 2 if not 3 kids to pay for)

Very poor decision on their part - I know the one near me usually gets anywhere from 8-15 kids on a Saturday morning and mainly because of the low cost...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I remember a while back M's was sold to an investment group. At the time, I thought it was bad that a company that really had no interest in the craft industry was taking M's over, I figured they would either eventually sell it or close... I'm hoping they are not on the path to closing.

It just seems that they have made a lot of changes that are all about the profit, (not that that isn't the main goal of every company, understandably)but they don't even seem to be changes that work for their particular consumers.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. All I can say is I wish Acmoore was closer to me, not to mention I wish Hobby Lobby would have locations in Fl.

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I don't keep up with the financials of retailers like Michael's, but a private equity firm is used when a company has poor (or no) cash flow. There are other reasons, but cash flow is a major reason. It's like having an almost limitless bank account. But these equity firms expect very high returns on their investment, that's why all the changes I would guess.

I haven't been in a Michael's in about 6 months, they changed the scrapbook section and I don't like their selection anymore. Really, really small!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

This sounds neat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmaxView Post
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. All I can say is I wish Acmoore was closer to me, not to mention I wish Hobby Lobby would have locations in Fl.

Dina

I have been to a Hobby Lobby in Ocala Fl. while visitng my sister. I am almost 4 hours soputh of that and wish there was one closer to me, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampininthesunView Post
I am almost 4 hours soputh of that and wish there was one closer to me, too!
Wishing here too, only I am 5 hours away in Sarasota...

Micheal's where we live got a boost when they reorganized for Martha Stewarts' products. More and better scrapping stuff and more aisles.

It will be sad to see their classes go. My girlfriends at work say the beading classes were fantastic and I have always wanted to take the cake decorating class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Default just my .02 cents

I think the Michael's organization is poorly run. There is no consistancy with the coupons...one store honors them...another doesn't. Remember when the Circuit came out and a lot of people were able to use the coupon because it didn't include Provo Craft not included? Then others couldn't one week later. I think people get angry at stuff like that and shop elsewhere and M's is feeling the effects. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. They never have stock of the stuff you go for. The stores have a lot of opportunity for improvement in mho.

I'm an artist. I can't draw, so I stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I work as an instructor at my new local Michael's and I just called my event coordinator. She said that my classes are still running for March, and nothing after that. They are revamping things and classes WILL resume, though no one knows when it is. I enjoy going to Michael's though. The new ones are very nice and organized. I previously worked at an older Michael's and it was so cluttered and dirty, I hated working there and trying to find everything!

I'm happy they are revamping everything though. Perhaps they will work on advertising and maybe even some helpful hints as to how to have better class attendance and project ideas. It was sometimes hard to put a class together because I never knew when the inventory would change, or things just didn't go together! Unlike Stampin' Up, nothing matched!!!! For me, that was a real challenge when trying to have card classes. I stopped doing that and have just focused on teaching techniques and product introductions.

I am looking forward to the new look for classes! I'm so glad I found this thread! Now I'm in the know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I don't shop at Michaels much anymore either. I usually go to the one in Apple Valley MN and they've had the same stock there for eons, same stamps, scrapbook paper, tools, etc. The one in Burnsville is worse, won't even go in that one, old, dirty, messy, got that "stuck in a time warp" thing goin. The only thing that changes in those two stores are the seasonal items.
:(

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes