Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAARGH!! Paypal!

Dang it!! So I got a $29 cricut cartridge at cricutmachine.com last week. OK, it wound up being $36 and change with shipping, but still...good deal, yes??

I had all but about $5 of that in my paypal account, and did the transaction so it would use the paypal funds first and then transfer the $5 from checking. It said right there in black and white on the paypal page that paypal funds would be used first, THEN the secondary funding would kick in. Seems pretty clear.

So why would paypal BYPASS the paypal funds completely and transfer the entire amount from my checking account? The result was a $5 overdraw PLUS a $19 fee from the bank. Bye bye any savings on the cartridge! Errrrrrgh!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

If your funding sources are set up properly in your account, it should have worked as you described. I would contact PayPal and inquire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

We just has our account hijacked...with no notices until Friday when we were sent REVERSAL notices on the payments that we did not initiate.

I had it set up on a checking we only use for Paypal along with a debit card off the same account...still they took over $500 out, in three payments. The result was 3 overdrafts at $35 each, plus another one for 5 business days in the hole. The money was credited to our Paypal account, not the checking, so a Paypal security breach cost us $140...and they won't cover it. They say they recovered our $500...but THEY LOST IT in the first place.

So frustrating!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
We just has our account hijacked...with no notices until Friday when we were sent REVERSAL notices on the payments that we did not initiate.

I had it set up on a checking we only use for Paypal along with a debit card off the same account...still they took over $500 out, in three payments. The result was 3 overdrafts at $35 each, plus another one for 5 business days in the hole. The money was credited to our Paypal account, not the checking, so a Paypal security breach cost us $140...and they won't cover it. They say they recovered our $500...but THEY LOST IT in the first place.

So frustrating!! :(
This is why I do not use Paypal anymore. I only use a pre-paid visa card. It works much better and hassle. I just run right over to the gas station and put whatever amount I need and then it is instantly added and I can place my order with no problems.
I am so sorry to read that you lost money because of a thief.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
The result was a $5 overdraw PLUS a $19 fee from the bank. Bye bye any savings on the cartridge! Errrrrrgh!
The bright side is that your bank only charges $19 for overdrafts. I think Bank of America is up to $30 now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Update on my crazy issue in case anyone is interested...

We had 4 more small pending payments go through resulting in a total overdraft charge of $280 for 8 overdrafts at $35 each.

My husband sat on the phone with the bank for about an hour and finally they filed disputes on the three unauthorized withdrawals...when Paypal responds with the proof that this was unauthorized, they will credit the $280 since had those deductions not occurred we would not have had a negative balance at any time.

The problem now is that disputing the charges through the bank is the ONLY way to get a credit on the fees, however Paypal had already refunded most of the money to the Paypal account. So I know there is going to be some issue about that...but it's not our fault. The money had to have never been taken out to avoid charges.

Oh well...at least we won't be out so much money...just a big headache and hours on the phone. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I read a few threads here in the past few months of other horror stories with Paypal. I bought of of those keychain pin nuber generators that Paypal sells for $5 that you use to sign in to Paypal with. Its an extra layer of security so that if someone gets your passwork which is easy for a seasoned hacker, they would also need to get the right number off the little keychain thing that changes every 30 seconds.

Its unfortunate that people steal like that, but they do and there is often little anyone can do about it. Paypal isn't letting people steal from anyones account as some people like to claim.They have really good security. They can only do so much when someone hijacks your password.

I recently had my bank call me to ask about some charges that were declined. Someone had gotten both mine and my husbands ATM card numbers and tried to charge $345 at a drug store in Canada, I'm in Los Angeles. They were both declined. I asked how they got both of our card numbers since they were different. The woman told me that its easy. They use a randon number generator to get billions of 16 digit combos and keep trying them until they get a hit and then encrypt a credit card with that number and shop. Scary!!!

What happened to good ol' cash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
I read a few threads here in the past few months of other horror stories with Paypal. I bought of of those keychain pin nuber generators that Paypal sells for $5 that you use to sign in to Paypal with. Its an extra layer of security so that if someone gets your passwork which is easy for a seasoned hacker, they would also need to get the right number off the little keychain thing that changes every 30 seconds.

Its unfortunate that people steal like that, but they do and there is often little anyone can do about it. Paypal isn't letting people steal from anyones account as some people like to claim.They have really good security. They can only do so much when someone hijacks your password.

Actually in my case, there was no password issue. No one got my password. The payments were not initiated from within my account, someone got into Paypals system and moved the money, so that there were no email receipts sent out like when you make a payment. This must have happened to a lot of accounts at once which is why Paypal caught it before we were even notified.

I need my Paypal account...and I understand that no money is secure no matter where you put it. Even banks can and have lost money or had it stolen, etc. But in almost 10 years of using Paypal, I actually think their record isn't too bad. I remember signing up to get the free $5...who knew it would end up so big??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Actually in my case, there was no password issue. No one got my password. The payments were not initiated from within my account, someone got into Paypals system and moved the money, so that there were no email receipts sent out like when you make a payment. This must have happened to a lot of accounts at once which is why Paypal caught it before we were even notified.

I need my Paypal account...and I understand that no money is secure no matter where you put it. Even banks can and have lost money or had it stolen, etc. But in almost 10 years of using Paypal, I actually think their record isn't too bad. I remember signing up to get the free $5...who knew it would end up so big??
I just re-read this...sorry to sound like I was arguing with you Melissa....not what I meant at all!! I just used to think if I was careful and never opened any links or put my password in when I shouldn't... that I was safe.

It's kind of a blow to find out that my money can be taken with no mistakes on my part. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm glad your bank is willing to at least try to work with you, Cher. Mine just said that I'd have to take it up with Paypal to get the overdraft fee back, since it wasn't a bank error. Bets, anybody, on whether Paypal would ever cough it up, lol??

I was about ready to give up on paypal not long ago, too, and decided to get the keyfob thingie. Well, it's a great idea in theory, but the fob doesn't protect against errors like this.

The bad thing (and I do feel REALLY bad!) is that I filed a complaint with Paypal in the heat of my irritation. I'm now worried that even though I made it abundantly clear that my beef was with Paypal and not the vendor, the vendor's name is now tied to a dispute. I hate the thought that my hotheadedness may have dinged their reputation. I did email them to let them know about it. I will be curious to see what, if any, response I get from Paypal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wachovia charges $35 overdraft and another $35 insufficient funds fee. I'm still clueless what that means, and why they charge twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post

I recently had my bank call me to ask about some charges that were declined. Someone had gotten both mine and my husbands ATM card numbers and tried to charge $345 at a drug store in Canada, I'm in Los Angeles. They were both declined. I asked how they got both of our card numbers since they were different. The woman told me that its easy. They use a randon number generator to get billions of 16 digit combos and keep trying them until they get a hit and then encrypt a credit card with that number and shop. Scary!!!

What happened to good ol' cash!
I know what you mean about "good ol' cash!", but you can't send it in the mail so I guess we are stuck trying to keep ahead of the scammers! I also got one of the key fob security things from Paypal and in order to log into Ebay I have to use my security number from the Paypal thingy. That makes me feel better about people possibly using my Ebay account, too.

Does anyone know if there is a charge to buy a prepaid credit card? That sounds like a safer way to do business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

When I bought a $25 VISA gift card for a gift it cost around $29. Is this the same as the "prepaid" credit card? I know there was a time limit one had to use it -- I think 12 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

You could get an account at your bank that you only put money that you intend to spend at a specific time, then use its debit card. Then you can't lose more than what's in there, and if you set it up at your bank, you can just transfer the funds in right before you use it.
just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I quit using Paypal about three years ago because of problems. IF they dont take a money order I don't buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #16  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I've had trouble with the pre-paid Visa cards online. Maybe I'm not using them right........

My problem is when I enter that I'm going to use a Visa card, I enter the Visa card number, but then I need a "billing address" for the card. Since it's a pre-paid, there is no address and it gets declined. Any idea how to get around this anyone?? Or what address do I need to enter?

Sorry to hijack........Paypal gives me fits too.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Dang it!! So I got a $29 cricut cartridge at cricutmachine.com last week. OK, it wound up being $36 and change with shipping, but still...good deal, yes??

I had all but about $5 of that in my paypal account, and did the transaction so it would use the paypal funds first and then transfer the $5 from checking. It said right there in black and white on the paypal page that paypal funds would be used first, THEN the secondary funding would kick in. Seems pretty clear.

So why would paypal BYPASS the paypal funds completely and transfer the entire amount from my checking account? The result was a $5 overdraw PLUS a $19 fee from the bank. Bye bye any savings on the cartridge! Errrrrrgh!
Usually for my account, if there is no enough money on the pay pal account for the transaction, it pulls everything from the bank account, I think usually it says transfer x $ from Bank Account, and then I click confirm.
My account it set up with our regular checking account, so I avoid overdraft on my crafting account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabsnelsonView Post
I've had trouble with the pre-paid Visa cards online. Maybe I'm not using them right........

My problem is when I enter that I'm going to use a Visa card, I enter the Visa card number, but then I need a "billing address" for the card. Since it's a pre-paid, there is no address and it gets declined. Any idea how to get around this anyone?? Or what address do I need to enter?

You MUST register the card on their website and put your name a address as the Billing address. If the card is not registered, then it will be declined everytime you try to use it on-line. It only takes about 3 minutes to register. I love mine and have never had any problem with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #19  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabsnelsonView Post

Hi there.

If you haven't done so already, you might try calling the customer service number that's on the back of the pre-paid Visa card for help. I think the issuing company has to do some set up for you before you can use the card.

I had the decline issue with a pre-paid Visa card that was given to me as a gift. I called the customer service number on the back of the card and explained the problem and they did some stuff on their end. I don't recall exactly what they did, but whatever they did resolved the problem and I was able to use the card without any further problems.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I just re-read this...sorry to sound like I was arguing with you Melissa....not what I meant at all!! I just used to think if I was careful and never opened any links or put my password in when I shouldn't... that I was safe.

It's kind of a blow to find out that my money can be taken with no mistakes on my part. :(
No, I never felt that you were arguing with me at all. I didn't realize that someone was able to access your account without having your password. That sucks big time. I hope they resolve your bank overdrafts too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Melissa...I went ahead and got the little key fob thing for additional protection too. It gives a little more piece of mind anyway. My husband and I have had our account hacked 4 times (not since getting the little fob thingy) but I need Paypal for my online transactions which there are a lot of...lol
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
You could get an account at your bank that you only put money that you intend to spend at a specific time, then use its debit card. Then you can't lose more than what's in there, and if you set it up at your bank, you can just transfer the funds in right before you use it.
just a thought...
I love Paypal and have used it for years, but...
I recently set up a checking account at a completely different bank -- not the one I use for everyday banking, checking, and ATM. I then registered that new account with Paypal and deleted access to my "regular" checking account. All this because of stories I have read here on Splitcoast.
When I need to add funds, I go over to that other bank and deposit a check for a few hundred dollars -- just enough to feed my stamping addiction.
If anyone should hack into Paypal my main account is safe.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

My PayPal account had something similar happen a few months ago. I didn't even realize someone had used it until I got the e-mails about two transactions being disputed and a claim filed. The two transactions totaled $550 and overdrafted my checking account, resulting in 3 fees at $34 each (WaMu).

UGH! People suck! :p

Anyways, it took about two weeks to sort everything out, but PayPal support is AWESOME!!! They handled the whole reversal and claims and were on the ball to catch it before I even noticed it. When I called them about it, they sent me the keychain security fob for free and reimbursed one of my overdraft fees as a "sorry for the inconvenience". They also walked me through printing out the claims in the PayPal resolution center to give to my bank to prove the fradulant charges on my account so they would reverse the overdraft charges.

My bank on the other hand was a PITA to work with on getting the overdraft fees reversed. On the local level they weren't able to help me, I had to call a couple different 800 numbers to finally get someone who could reverse the overdraft charges on my checking account and they insisted on putting a stop payment on anything coming from PayPal. Somewhat inconvenient, but I setup another account to use just with PayPal that isn't tied to my everyday stuff. I've had a PayPal account for 7 years and this was the first time I've ever had a problem with unauthorized charges on my account.

Lesson! PUSH BACK on your bank about the fees they charged when your account was overdrafted or had insufficient funds charged to it. The bank charges those fees and are capable of reversing them. I kept going back and making a stink until they fixed it. PayPal did their part by reversing the bad transactions, but PayPal shouldn't be a victim either by having to pay the exorbitant fees the banks charge for overdrafts. If you're persistant, you shouldn't be out any money!! I actually came out ahead with a free security key. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes