Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
They are beautiful cards, and I, too, would've expected at least a $10 bid � right? But pat yourself on the back for making such beautiful works of art and for your big heart in donating them to a great cause. Many people don't bother doing that.

I'm steeling myself for the donation I just made for a dog rescue silent auction fundraiser--a handmade junk journal made from a vintage children's book about a dog named Snowball. This journal should sell for at least $30 but I'm fully expecting that it will go for under $10--which is $5 more than their average donation so I guess I'll have to be okay with that :-)
Do you have any photos? It sounds delightfully creative.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing I feel is important to mention is the audience itself. Your lovely cards have a simple and clean feeling that's great for anyone that loves a modern look. But if the majority of the charity goers were into the vintage shabby chic or retro floral designs, they might not have found the cards to be their style.

One of my crafty friends makes lovely hand-painted tile coasters and plates. Despite her talent, she never sold many of them at her shows until she started keeping track of the show attendees. She noticed that a lot of them were in their 20s and she started designing something that's a little more modern or bohemian than she was offering before. Once she got in a few of the more modern designs (especially things matching IKEA furniture), her wares started selling like hotcakes. It wasn't that she didn't have enough talent or that her products were bad before. People just had an easier time seeing her stuff in their kitchen if it matched their kitchen design.

I think the same thing applies to any other sort of craft.

Just an extra tidbit of food for thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 483 Likes on 171 Posts

Auctions are hard to call, especially those raising money or fundraisers or charity auctions. I have participated in many, many auctions over the years and never, ever saw my donation sell for even half what I invested in it. I'd rather have donated the money directly to the cause. As I am the one who chose to participate in said auctions, I really can't say much. The latest one I participated in I don't recall what the "theme" of the basket I chose to supply was for, but I bought a darling mug, a 1/2 pound bag of Starbucks beans, a $5 Sbux gift card, several packets of hot chocolate packets, a stir few stir sticks (honey, sugar, white chocolate etc.) and a little wood plaque that said "..but first coffee.." On top of the product, there was the cost of the basket, the stuffing, the huge cello bag and ribbon, I spent over $60. The basket auctioned off at $22. I was very frustrated and beginning to be angry about it. But, I had a talk with myself about the fact I chose to do it, the bidders didn't ask me to put all those things in there, blah blah blah. How I allow myself to feel about it is a choice. (I was peeved at the auction coordinator for pricing the start bids so low, but that's another story.)

Point is, breathe and walk away from allowing the negative feelings you feel assaulting you. It's a choice. It's also a choice to learn from the experience, but hopefully without the angst. I speak from experience.

We are all one child spinning through Mother Sky. (Shawnee proverb)

My little blog: http://mypaperantics.blogspot.com/

My Webshots albums:http://community.webshots.com/user/stampinusa[/url]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Laura, you brought up such good points. And from what you wrote, it dawned on me that nice donations are the draw; they are what bring lots of people to the event, many who probably wouldn't donate directly to the charity, but will spend something at the auction.

So it's a group effort too. Because of lovely donation items like yours, happystamper's and others, the group as a whole can raise a substantial amount.

(I also think it's nice for those who couldn't afford nice luxury items to be able to get a deal, though I might be in the minority, and that's okay.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Do you have any photos? It sounds delightfully creative.
You are so sweet � I didn't see this right away!Here are a few:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

I would SO bid on that and would win no matter how many bids there were! I love children's books anyway, and you took it to a whole other level. What fun. And who knows, if the right kid wandered through my life I'd eventually pass it on. : )

Thank you for posting the photos. : D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I would SO bid on that and would win no matter how many bids there were! I love children's books anyway, and you took it to a whole other level. What fun. And who knows, if the right kid wandered through my life I'd eventually pass it on. : )

Thank you for posting the photos. : D
You are so very sweet � thank you!

Snowball gets into all sorts of scrapes in the neighborhood and turns filthy dirty, which is represented by actual black flocking on the illustrations and cover! This book is a real treasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Gosh, the old children's books have so many great lessons and beyond beautiful illustrations. Best of all, sometimes a new children's book can be purchased for the cost of a purchased greeting card....not a hand crafted card as we all know!
Reply With Quote Likes