Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #41  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It usually takes me forever to make a card and I usually get inspired at 11:30 at night! I spend way to much time on the computer to get inspired and then I spend a LOT of time getting the papers I want and I seldom predesign and things just evolve. I started out to make a man's birthday card a couple of nights ago and ended up with something way to feminine so it went to someone as a "I'm thinking of you" card. I love the creative process but sometimes have trouble getting off the starting line! I find I have trouble making several of the same cards, so at Christmas I do 8-10 of one and several onsey's and when I run out of time I sometimes do partially computer generated ones and finish with embellishments. I agree with who ever says that they think our productivity has a lot to do with your personality type and each of us just have our very own way that our creativity comes to life.

"She who lives with the most JOY wins!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Wink

Personally, I didn't start making cards with the idea of getting them done in a hurry. I just enjoy the process. And coincidentally, when I don't worry about it............it goes easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I have enough card making supplies to stock a small stamp store. I think my supplies are pretty organized and yet I seem to take forever to produce a small amount of cards. Does anyone have any tips on what they do to make the process smoother and quicker? Don't get me wrong, I love the card making process, but I keep thinking I should be able to make cards a little easier/faster. Thanks in advance for sharing your tips!
Annie, I often refer to the SheetLoad site to make the most of paper cuts for making cards. You can even use the same card idea or sketch, use different paper and embellishments and it look different. Here is the link: SheetLoad of Cards...: SheetLoad Issue
If you go to the top left you can search the archives. Hope this helps.

On another note when I make a card, I have the idea first and then just start looking thru my stuff. It usually comes together with everything falling into place. And... usually looks nothing like the idea I started with in the first place!

Have fun creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

This is such a great question and interesting thread! I have this same problem, where it seems to take forever to get a card or project done. I agree with the poster who said it's partly personality. Many things take longer because I can be a perfectionist and get caught up in the small details. So maybe that's part of it.

As far as advice goes, the cards that go the quickest and most smoothly for me are the ones I've planned out in my head. These are also the cards I'm usually most happy with once they're done too. All day long I'll have a card in my mind and will literally design it in my head. Then when I sit down, I've got a starting point and just piece it together like a puzzle. Much faster because the idea is already done!

Also make sure your space is organized. Stamps in one place, inks in one place, dies in another and all organized and labeled. The organization alone will save you so much time in the long run because you won't be spending too much time looking for everything!

Last edited by Monica K; 09-14-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 AM   #45  
Glitter Queen

I make a bunch of card scored bases ahead of time. Then when I want to make a card that first step is done. When stamping a design or die cutting I try to make extra and store. The stamped images I usually color right away, I find it relaxing to color so I do alot at one time. One blogger wrote that storing them is a problem and she is right but I still do it. I try to keep them out on my craft table to remember to use them. I also like to make the card fronts and finish it later. I make a lot of generic cards and wait for the occasion to finish for birthday, get well. I like the idea of making sympathy ahead of time as those are needed right away. I LOVE cardmaking, it has brought me so much joy. I make for Operation Write Home, nursing homes and mail a card to whoever has a birthday listed in the newspaper as they are usually really old to have their family do that and they like to count how many cards they get without really having to know the people who sent it. I just started doing that! I was telling my girlfriend that if you stub your toe I am going to mail you a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #46  
Glitter Queen

I have found that each card I make has a little of me (my personality) included so I can not hurry the process. Of course I only do it as a hobby. If I make a card for a certain person, I try to use something they like, such as a color, an embellishment or theme. One friends favorite color is lime green so I always include that color in or on my cards to her. If your going to be all stressed out over the card making process...don't do it. Go to the store and buy one...just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

I hope I did not imply that I get stressed over card making as I said I LOVE it. I usually buy cards for men as I have a hard time thinking of macho type ideas and the men in my life don't seem to really appreciate them as women do. I do have a wedding this weekend and was planning on making her card but have too much going on and ended up buying one, although I am going to save the sentiment as it is really a nice thought and I will use at some point. You sound you try to make a special card for all your receipts and I think that is nice. I love that we all have our own style. Thanks for your imput.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually spend a lot of time making one card, then I duplicate it 8-12 times. The process goes a lot faster on the second card. And then I have a bunch of cards to send to different people. Of course, I mail cards out in bulk. I pick a day of the week and send everyone I know a card. That way, no one gets that same card twice. It works for me anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by smhtwinView Post
The only thing I keep a good stash of is card candy. I really need to sit down one of these days and make a bunch of cards with the candy I have already but the thought of making "just one card" and not mass producing is so odd to me ;)
What is "card candy"? It sounds yummy but I'm thinking it's not edible..lol!

I also make more than one card at a time. I figure it's like kids...after you have one...what's 10 or 12 more, right?? ;) Seriously, I have limited time and find that making more than one at a time a good use of my time.

My card prep includes having WW and VV cardstock scored for an A2 size. I don't cut card fronts ahead of time - I do that as I need them.

Other than that I try to make sure I'm aware of what I have for ribbon and embellishments so that when the urge strikes and my MOJO is JO-ing I can just go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bweazView Post
I usually spend a lot of time making one card, then I duplicate it 8-12 times. The process goes a lot faster on the second card. And then I have a bunch of cards to send to different people. Of course, I mail cards out in bulk. I pick a day of the week and send everyone I know a card. That way, no one gets that same card twice. It works for me anyway.
Yay!!! what a great idea. I hake lots at one time, too, and I've been trying to keep track of which cards I send to who - you've solved that one for me...thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Everyone for sharing all of your great tips with us. I plan to try some of your suggestions and think the web sites are going to be helpful, too.

In the past I have looked at lots of neat stamping spaces and borrowed lots of ideas. I am also excited to borrow ideas on how you all organize the process of making cards. Please continue to share your tips. I really enjoy reading your comments!

Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I have enough card making supplies to stock a small stamp store. I think my supplies are pretty organized and yet I seem to take forever to produce a small amount of cards. Does anyone have any tips on what they do to make the process smoother and quicker? Don't get me wrong, I love the card making process, but I keep thinking I should be able to make cards a little easier/faster. Thanks in advance for sharing your tips!
I quit making them LOL I continue to buy all the supplies and pretty embellishments and nifty tools though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Sometimes I spend a lot of time making one custom card for a specific person. I rarely do layers, occasionally I do one extra piece of colored cardstock from an index card. I do "faux layers" using marker to just fill in the border (not sure if this makes it faster or slower, but makes it less expensive).

I spend a lot of time getting a design "just right", then make some more cards of the same design. I like to use the same sketch with different colors and a different image on each card. This makes it faster because you get good at drawing the sketch, but each card is different. I do a lot of my "designing" in postcard format. That saves half the cardstock, and my mom sends the postcards to my grandmas. Some of them are nicer than others, but they love getting anything in the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Michelle Wooderson," Mish Mash", is a wonderfully talented designer and cardmaker. I've been reading her blog since I started making cards.

Here is a link to an old post on mass production, which has lots of tips and inspiration:

Mish Mash: Mass Production Help

Everyone is different in their creative process, but I generally make at least 4 cards alike when I have an idea for a card. I may use a different sentiment on the fronts, but the basic cards are the same.

My stamping stuff is kept in a spare bedroom, and I bring things to a table in my living room to craft. It seems silly to me to make only one card after I've gotten everything out. Also, my method is to make card fronts and attach to a white cardstock base, so I can get 4 fronts from one piece of 8-1/2 x 11 paper.
This is what I do, too. Also, I stamp by theme, or even using only one stamp for the focal point for all the cards for a month. It cuts down on the amount of stamps and supplies I need to have out (I won't need flowers or animals, for instance, if I'm stamping leaves), and I find it pushes my creativity. One idea leads to another and it can go quite quickly--sometimes. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to stampit74

Quote:

Lucky for me, I have no lack of MOJO. Thanks for sharing the CAS web sites. They look great.

What I am wondering about is more in the preparation process. Do you stamp lots of random images and have them ready when you make a card? Do you have a bunch of pre-cut card bases? Do you die-cut shapes and have them filed for when you need a certain shape? Do you make card kits?

I tend to make a card start to finish, but I think some people must follow a different process than me. Maybe I am not alone in the way I create cards, but I have been wondering if someone does it differently.
I make my cards start to finish... always spending so much time, trimming layers, and trimming again and again! FINALLY broke down and watched the videos on the perfect layers site and purchased the set! I LOVE THEM! I love 1/16th inch mats a lot of the time and 1/8th the rest of the time and w/the layering tools I can do it and not be constantly fixing and trimming again! yea! Very time saving!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I too have the issue and am looking for sites or blogs where people post measurements. It drives me crazy to spend time figuring out measurements I guess because I am not good at it. I like the playing with all the pretty paper and embellishments. That said, I just hate to cut a pretty piece of designer paper?;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 AM   #57  
Glitter Queen

Default perfect layers?

to Stampit74,
Where did you watch the video on the perfect layers???? They sound very interesting.
Gloria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Sheetload of Cards is wonderful. So nice of them to share their hard work and put it all together in the pdfs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Speeding things up but I have too much stuff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by papernut123View Post
But...how do you know Beate's card was done quickly. She may have spent hours on that one card design before making a tutorial.
As for my "quick" cards, they sometimes take hours to make. Perfection isn't a fast process.
I agree the design process can take the longest time. Yet regardless I rarely make more than one or two of the same card, there is always some difference. I find it easy to 'CASE' a card and in the process of adding my own touches I have made it my own original. This saves a lot of time (if I don't spend too much time browsing all the terrific blogs first! LOL) A vast majority of my cards are using 'plain card layers' as choosing the patterned papers is my weakness. I hate cutting them up - they are so pretty and I am afraid of stuffing it up, yet foolishly I am attracted to them and keep buying them. I have written a blog entry about my accumulation of "Stuff" and my determination to attack it this month! And then give away my excess! And then I found a terrific blog challenge site that encourages clean and simple cards (which are also faster to make) and if I stay with them I will never use up my 'stuff' this month! LOL So I wrote about that too just yesterday.
Now I need to get off the computer and go make something NOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

I pre-stamp images and sentiments on paper. When I want to make cards I will select the images and match it with dp. Sometimes I will prepare layouts and then stamp on basecards instead of using dp. I like to use solid images, big sentiments and embellishments to minimise if not avoid colouring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #61  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
What is "card candy"? It sounds yummy but I'm thinking it's not edible..lol!
Card candy is pre-made embellishments to put on your cards or scrapbooks or what ever you want. Like making your own Jolee's embellishments. These examples are all packaged up for swaps or for sale. You can store them however you want.

Cr8zyscrapper's Valentine card candy
Cr8zyscrapper's coffee card candy
Bethkinder's wedding card candy
Kirsteen Gill's nautical card candy
brattitude2000's pink & brown card candy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #62  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

The other day I was making several 3x3 cards to put inside my son's Halloween gift bags for school and I got to thinking that I should score my cardstock first and then cut it. That way all I need to do is to fold the cards over rather than cutting my cards first and then scoring all of them separately. (Did that make sense?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
The other day I was making several 3x3 cards to put inside my son's Halloween gift bags for school and I got to thinking that I should score my cardstock first and then cut it. That way all I need to do is to fold the cards over rather than cutting my cards first and then scoring all of them separately. (Did that make sense?)
I had that same light-bulb moment a while back, too, Patty. It makes it so much easier to make cards. I usually do 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 so I score my 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock right down the middle, then cut.

Sometimes I wonder about myself - why does it take me so long to have that "duh?" moment?

It's a good thing I didn't choose a career as an inventor. We would have no gadgets at all with me in charge.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Card Candy

Quote:

Originally Posted by split-peaView Post
Card candy is pre-made embellishments to put on your cards or scrapbooks or what ever you want. Like making your own Jolee's embellishments. These examples are all packaged up for swaps or for sale. You can store them however you want. ....
That is extra ordinary timing... I have just been playing around in my head about making Card Candy for sale. I have come up with some Christmas ideas in my head but no time to make anything yet. I am so glad you included the samples as I hadn't given any though yet to the packaging as yet. I also like the candy too! These are so nice, I have to be careful not to case it too closely ;-)

I will post when I get to around to it. It will probably be a month or 6 weeks as I am flying across to the other side of the country for the birth of my second grand daughter and to assist where I can. So who knows what I can actually get done whilst away... If nothing else I can plan and design stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Scoring before cutting

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
That's a great idea. Yes that makes a lot of sense and would save a lot of time if you were planing on doing many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=split-pea;18754052]Card candy is pre-made embellishments to put on your cards or scrapbooks or what ever you want. Like making your own Jolee's embellishments. These examples are all packaged up for swaps or for sale. You can store them however you want.]

Ahh...well, then, I have LOTS of card candy Thanks for the links, great eye candy !!!

Last edited by dmcg; 09-24-2011 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: quote not in a box like other one's???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a specific product called Card Candi. I first heard of it in the UK and some of the people there were suggesting stationery stores as a source. I pulled this pic from the Custom Crops website. They have about 52 colour combinations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Arrow

110# Georgia Pacific cardstock
Can anyone tell me the UK equivalent of this cardstock please. Penny Duncan uses this for most of her flowers .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by elwoodsusanmView Post
Can anyone tell me the UK equivalent of this cardstock please. Penny Duncan uses this for most of her flowers .
Can Asda stock it? They are (or were when I lived there) owned by Walmart and have many of the same products. It could be worth having a word with the manager and seeing if it something that would still be affordable to stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

Default paper weights for sculpting flowers

Quote:

Originally Posted by elwoodsusanmView Post
I am not in UK, but if you dont' get a definite answer then I would say that the 110 refers to 110gsm which is a light card weight slightly heavier than photocopying paper (80gsm) but less than regular card weight which is generally 180-200gsm (gsm refers to grams per sq metre - the big the number the heavier (thicker) the card!)
I make my paper flowers with either paper or card. The lighter the paper ie photocopy paper the easier it is to shape however the heavier card does hold the shapes better for posting. You can also stiffen paper but various methods such as heat embossing, UTEE, spray on starch, etc.
I have several entries on my blog about handmade flowers eg Inkspirational Designs: Some paper flowers to show you were mostly cardboard flowers
Inkspirational Designs: Hand cutting and shaping the flowers were photo copy paper weight. I tend to choose my papers by colour and texture. Ultimately all things being equal I prefer to make my flowers with paper as it is easier to manipulate.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

yup blogs are my inspiration to get color schemes and ideas.
love it, they make it look so easy though ;)
Reply With Quote Likes