Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Over Spending Regrets?

whaaa! I decided to stock up on different kinds of ribbon so I went to a store that sells by the yard. I went crazy and got several kinds after the lady cut it all up and rang it up to $131 dollars! on just ribbon! ahhhh, I didn't feel bad at first but now I'm home and feel so bad. You know what you can buy with that money! what was I thinking? Where's the stamper's anonymous group located?
What have you bought that you've spent and regret it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

i can't remember specifically what I purchased, but there have been a NUMBER of time where I took special trips to the US and spent well over $150 on just STUFF.. I could fit it all in one bag and I was like, this is groceries for my son and I for 2 weeks...

i feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I placed a big SU! order once the summer before last when I was a demo and the new catalog came out. I rationalized that I didn't order much throughout the year, and I had some SU! sales money saved to cover part of it. I wasn't too off in my thinking, because I really DO NOT spend a LOT of money, and I had saved up and all, but I ordered so much that lots of it went unused! I just forgot what I had, and that seemed like a waste!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

For a long time whenever I went to Michaels I would spend at least $100, usually closer to $200 because I would just browse and buy all the pretty things that caught my eye. When everything is $2-$4 it doesn't seem like a big deal but a whole shopping cart full add up fast!

My biggest regrets are my SU purchases because I buy things that I like looking at but not necessarily use. Fortunately reselling SU is easy and I get most of the $$$ back.

Sorry your feeling icky, I hope you can do something to perk yourself up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  
Duchess of CBCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGJESSEEView Post
whaaa! I decided to stock up on different kinds of ribbon so I went to a store that sells by the yard. I went crazy and got several kinds after the lady cut it all up and rang it up to $131 dollars! on just ribbon! ahhhh, I didn't feel bad at first but now I'm home and feel so bad. You know what you can buy with that money! what was I thinking? Where's the stamper's anonymous group located?
What have you bought that you've spent and regret it?

The stampers anonymous group would be located under the Wish-Rak forum or under the PIF of Stamped Images forum....:mrgreen:

I can't even begin to list the buyers regret... but I must just muddle through and use what I bought. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those templates for the Fiskars ShapeBoss. I spent at least $125 on those things before even trying to use the ones that come with it. Only then, when I finally got round to using them a year or so later, did I realize they were NOT my style.

That was about six years ago, and I've never made a single expensive mistake like that again. But there've been plenty of $30 stamp sets or $20 tools that I wince to think of.... At least there are fewer of them as time goes by, so I'm learning, but so, so slowly!

As for spending that much on ribbon...just start using it. You'll feel better soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

If you aren't paying your bills or feeding your family, then you should have regrets! If you can afford it, then what's wrong with a little indulgence every now and then??

My DH and I always laugh because I have lots of little indulgences every month and he usually has 2-3 big ones every year. We think we probably keep it even. And we try really hard to make sure neither one of us regrets our purchases. Well, unless it really was something stupid and wasteful, then we'll tease each other something awful!

Enjoy your ribbon! I bet it's all beautiful.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Use it and don't hoard it or forget about it and you'll feel better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have few regrets, actually. Years ago, I spent major bucks on a new Bernina sewing machine and serger. I regretted it since I bought it on time. It was paid in full years ago. I don't regret it one bit now, since I originally bought it with sewing business profits and I've gotten my money's worth. I use it for sewing on cardstock, now, too!

My DH hardly ever spends money on himself and he recently started woodburning. (He won't even buy himself jeans when his old ones have holes in the knees & I will never, as long as I live, shop for shoes for him again. He wears a 13 narrow and they just don't make many styles in that size! His reasoning for hating to shop for jeans is because he wears a 38" inseam and a 32" waist and he has to pay extra for the tall size!)

This morning I ordered him $35 worth of patterns for his new hobby and I'm not going to tell him until they arrive. He'll be surprised.

Funny, he never complains about my stamping spending, or when I spend money on HIM, he just won't spend it on himself. But then, we have no kids, just pets, no mortgage, no credit card bills, and I rarely buy makeup and spend little on clothes. And, I love to cook, so we only go out occasionally for dinner and entertainment.

So, no regrets for my spending on my hobbies. I DO regret that I haven't purchased some of the SU stamp sets that are no longer available that I would use NOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

PenguinCityLady: www.zappos.com
You can shop by shoes size/width. Free shipping AND FREE RETURNS!! It's awesome!

Sorry for the hijack! I'm sure I've regretted but I've conveninently forgotten my regret! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This same thing just happened to me last weekend! I was in a fabulous needle arts shop with mom and sister, and I got carried away and decided to buy a few punch needle kits, a hoop, thread, and the punch needles themselves. When the bill came up to over eighty bucks, I nearly had a heart attack. Here's the kicker...I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PUNCH NEEDLE! :O The items are still in the bag, and I'm seriously thinking about taking it all back. I got home and thought of all the fabulous stamps I could buy for that money. I think I need to stick to one craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know I have had "what was I thinking?" moments... and some purchases still sit there waiting to become validated!

But don't be too hard on yourself. For many of us, this is our primary outlet for discretionary spending and I know I've given up other things because stamping has become more important to me.

If it makes you feel better, hold off on craft/stamping indulgences for awhile, or some other indulgence and make restitution to yourself that way!!

And you could use some of the ribbon to make fabulous cards and/or gifts for others ... and that will surely perk you right up!!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

My only regret is all the money I wasted at the beginning. I only started scrapping 2 years ago (I had never even heard of scrapbooking!). So I ran to the local craft stores and bought everything. And I mean EVERYTHING! I didn't know any better. Since then my niece has shown me the difference that quality products make in a project. We sorted through my project room and I gave away bags and bags of stuff, including paper/CS. Most of the stuff I hadn't even used yet, and most of what I had used I discovered I didn't like. Then I got introduced to SU! Quality products, reasonable prices, and matching color families - what more could you ask for?! With SU!, my Cricut, and Cuttlebug I'm in heaven! But yes, if I look back at all the money I wasted in the beginning ... well, I just try not to think about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks you guys for the support. I did buy it to use it alot. I was just the fact that it total'd for that much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I do now, 'cause I had at one time wanted to hold stamp camps ~ so I got a ton of stuff I thought others would want to use ~ mostly SU ~large ink pads (most have not even been opened) & the biggie ~ the Cricut ~ I've used it maybe 2x. I did use it for a project for the school ~ but there's no way I'll ever get my use out of that one.... I really must get rid of those ink pads (at least the cricut won't 'dry' out...lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes

I recently bought from Petaloo the Fancy Foam flowers that I bough from an online store and they arrived home all torned edges and stained because of the bad packaging.

I had them changes by the online store and an other set from Petaloo and still I can not even have a complete bag. I was so frustrated so I just throw them all in the garbage and lost 50$
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

It's crazy what this hobby does to us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Vonnie:

I did the same thing with my stamping at the beginning, with punches, etc.

Now, I've replaced some poor quality stuff with SU punches, etc. Whenever I meet a new stamper in my SU 10-Club, I give them the poor qaulity stuff until they can afford the good stuff. They've actually passed stuff along to OTHER new stampers. If I end up with duplicates by mistake, I do the same thing.

I invested in a bunch of embroidery thread for my sewing machine that's been sitting around for a few years. Now, it looks very pretty on my cards! hehe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Occassionally I'll think of how much I've spent with regret, but not too often. Reality is that although I've got more toys than use up, I enjoy them and enjoy sharing them. Many friends and co-workers go out to eat every week - or several times a week - which my husband and I rarely do. So although I spend money that to some seems wasteful or excessive, I don't think it is, and I know that (most) months I spend less than they do on meals/movies/shows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
This same thing just happened to me last weekend! I was in a fabulous needle arts shop with mom and sister, and I got carried away and decided to buy a few punch needle kits, a hoop, thread, and the punch needles themselves. When the bill came up to over eighty bucks, I nearly had a heart attack. Here's the kicker...I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PUNCH NEEDLE! :O The items are still in the bag, and I'm seriously thinking about taking it all back. I got home and thought of all the fabulous stamps I could buy for that money. I think I need to stick to one craft!

This is similar to my story except it was rug hooking... I bought all the supplies and got about 1/2 a frame done until I realized I really don't care for this at all!! Now I have all the supplies if I decide to do it again... they are stored next to my forgotten sewing supplies, jewelry supplies, beads, crochet hooks, kinitting needles, bags of yarn, and pattern books. There must me some hobby I forgot in the that list! Oh yeah, spinning wheel and wool! I knew there was another craft I forgot, literally!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

None of my big buys have been a regret- but sometimes I look back at what I spent after I quit my job and DH had just taken a career change that involved a 90% pay cut.
A lot of the poorer quality impulse first purchases have sat unused, must have stamps that were used once etc.
I pass them along- and today I packed up a box of supplies for a children's hospice. The hospice is very grateful and the children will use them and I feel better. It may not be a monetary donation but I think they will get value from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts
Default spending regrets

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
My DH says no more hobbies for me because we don't have any more empty bedrooms....As our 4 children have moved out, I have literally taken over their rooms for office/hobby space. the oldest DD left in 96....her room is now the computer room/office; the second DD left in 99-- her room is now my stamping scrapping room. number 3 DS hasn't lived at home for 2.5 years and is on his own after college graduation so his room is the guest room ( with(only a twin bed and in the basement)---number 4 DS is a Second class midshipman doing his sea year--last saw him in january and won't see him again until November --so his room is full of "stuff" he couldn't take to sea---
AND you need to understand that I have a sewing/leathercrafting room in the basement already!!!!! So my photography "stuff" and I do have a great deal of it----has to share space----so yes I fully understand the spending regrets and space crunches. But---it is cheaper than paying for therapy and lots more fun........

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

truthfully, no, not one time have i regretted buying stamping stuff BUT i'm so tight i squeak (according to DH) and don't like to spend money on myself except for stamping supplies. when i first got into it, i knew this was going to be something i would want to do for a long time, so DH and i came up with a monthly budget. i rarely even spend that much, so on the few times i do, or i go over, i figure it all averages out.

here's my rule of thumb: if it won't matter, or i won't even remember what i spent in say, six months, then it doesn't matter now, and there's plenty of other things in my life i beat myself up over, it SURE won't be for buying pretty things to put on cards that i'm going to give other people.

oh hell to the no, i do not regret spending money on stamping stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

I have regretted lots of little purchases over the years! When I was a demo for SU! I had to make my own minimums so I ended up buying a TON of sets that have never seen ink. I know I can resell them, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's funny that someone mentioned the wish RAKs because I was stamping wishes last night and thought "at least someone will get some use out of these!!" It makes me feel a little more justified knowing that the stamps tasted a bit of ink and in turn I will get wishes so I don't have to buy more stamps - win/win!!

I also have a lot of QK alphas and shape dies that I thought were so cute but never got used. Also, it's not small, but I haven't used my Craft Robo in ages!

Don't even get me started on other crafts - I've got a BIG stash of cross-stitch kits and lot of polymer clay, quilling, plastic canvas, etc.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2View Post
I do now, 'cause I had at one time wanted to hold stamp camps ~ so I got a ton of stuff I thought others would want to use ~ mostly SU ~large ink pads (most have not even been opened) & the biggie ~ the Cricut ~ I've used it maybe 2x. I did use it for a project for the school ~ but there's no way I'll ever get my use out of that one.... I really must get rid of those ink pads (at least the cricut won't 'dry' out...lol)
Your inkpads shouldn't dry out on you anytime soon. You can always get reinkers for your inkpads when they do. They will last ya' a good long time! Open 'em up and give them a whirl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Impulse buying. Gotta love it. $150.00 for me now in a week on flippin $1 clear stamps...

Repeat after me - I do not have a problem, I can quit at any time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

When I first started stamping in October, I purchased the Fiskars shape templates/cutter. I think I've used it twice and I hated it. Now it sits collecting dust. While it wasn't a HUGE purchase, I would have rather used that money on something I would actually use. Live and learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

if it is stuff i will TRULY use...

no remorse here!

last count- i had over 270 rolls of ribbon. i just bought like 4 rolls at michael's on tuesday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

We don't spend lots of money going out with friends or eating out.

So, I look at those who do and what do they have 6 hours after they spend their money? An empty stomach.

What do I have after I spend my money? More stamping supplies or equipment, hehehe. Something to SHOW for my spending...

Is that too weird to think like that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

no matter what I spend on my craft does NOT equal what DH spends on his golf!!!! So, IMO, we're even.

Just search SCS & you'll find TONS of great ideas to use that ribbon on!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

almost everytime i leave the house. i need the stampers anonymous BAD! but as bad as i feel afterwards, it doesn't slow me down the next time.

hello, my name is kimberly and i am a stamping addict!

good luck with your stash of ribbon
My Etsy Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Compared to what my DH spends on gas for his ATV and jetski, parts for his remote control cars and accessories for his ATV ... NEVER! I just spent $166 on Papertrey Ink on Monday. I ordered 4 sets and all the basics and perfect match cardstock, perfect match ink and some of the ribbon. I just remember, I work too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
Use it and don't hoard it or forget about it and you'll feel better.
Agreed! I think we've all been there. There are seasons of my life where I have 'lived' there. LOL! To the OP, the sting is going to last a long time if you hoard this new ribbon and keep 'rehashing' it in your mind. Make up some pretty things and send them to someone you love. It really will make a difference in their day, and can help you with the justification.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

It adds up quick, doesn't it? I'm always shocked by just how much a "few little things" ends up costing...

My problem is, I can never go in to Joanns or Michaels and get only what I need. I ALWAYS end up browsing, and that is where I get in to trouble.

Still. I don't spend much on anything other than stamping, and maybe gardening! But I worry now and then about spending too much...I just found a lovely line of stamps by Lynne Perrella that is new to me, and I ordered way too many of the images. Now I'm wondering if I REALLY needed them all...but I know I'll be thrilled to have them, even if I don't use them all right away.

Sometimes I just can't seem to stop buying, though, and THAT worries me. Is it all about the love of the craft, or is it just about acquiring things?

Interesting question, that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah I have a problem....I just buy stuff I like when I see it. Its those dam coupons! I feel like I MUST use them so I find stuff to buy!

Biggest regrets at mo are "the stencil collection" chalks that were $50, the demo at the expo made them look so cool, loved his ideas, so I cave buy them and have no used them once!! I keep trying but it just looks messy!

And SU ink, I only have the spots in one family, but now I found out I cannot use them on clear stamps so now I have to buy a bunch of chalk inks for the clear! And then the ink does not sit right on regular paper so now I need to buy SU cardstock! Amd then reinkers! Funny thing is I still want the rest of the families haha!

Another thing was the gromet tool, it looked cute, but hard work and I rarely use it!

Shes all that stamps from SU, HAD TO HAVE!! But cannot get a nice stamped image and with shipping that was about $41!

Paper packs....why did I buy soooo many paperpacks, I don't even like half of the paper in them! lol

Think they are my major regrets right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Default Regrets

Preaching to the choir. I have to have it idea has gotten me into trouble. Feeling great when I buy it, thinking oh I can do this or that but then driving home is when I feel guilty because I think about what I could have gotten for my kids. But hey, I work too. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by I love pinkView Post
... Shes all that stamps from SU, HAD TO HAVE!! But cannot get a nice stamped image...
I love pink.......... I'm guessing you're not getting a good image because of the coating on your stamps. Sometimes the solid image stamps need a little help! I use an eraser on the surface of the rubber and then they stamp great! Some people even use sanding blocks on them but I'm always afraid that's too abrasive. I've also just rubbed them on my jeans. Give it a try and see if that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

I do....but for about a minute! ;0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, I got into beading (for about a minute) and spent a ton on a bunch of gorgeous beads!! I still have them..maybe I'll give them to my sister who still beads!

Stamping stuff..I tend to not regret...because I know I'll use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Oh, I have regrets *all* the time! This might make you feel better, I even blogged about it last month:
http://youinkit.blogspot.com/2008/05...s-disease.html

I think it's just a part of the whole kit-and-caboodle of being a stamper! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes