Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
YES, YES, a thousand times YES! I've been saying this for years, and I totally agree with you.
So when do you send for international post -

Last year my youngest got a birthday gift a month late that was sent a month early. It didn't help that someone along the chain felt the need to take the gift inside for their own. However, according the logic expressed here, it was late and there are no excuses?!

As for my occasional late cards most of them are postal issues - occasionally they are posting/creative issues.

I get it that a lot of people have generic cards ready to go for anyone. Maybe that is the solution. I always feel that a personalized to the receipient card is worth it even if it is a day late. This isn't business nor professional correspondence, this is social and social graces should politely receive any good will at any time and keep a smile on your face and be thankful for it. ;)

FWIW I'm always early for all appointments and professional deadlines.

I find it interesting the idea perpetuated that someone can't be bothered if they are late when I (and I am certain many others) can attest to the fact that that generalization isn't always the case. I wish I didn't care about the receipient so much so I could just do a challenge and slap a stamp on it and not worry about whether it is their favorite color, animal, flower, interest etc...because it doesn't matter as long as they get something right?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping ServantView Post
In our family we have a mystery. Our very sweet sister-in-law habitually sends birthday cards (she�s not a cardmaker, so they are store bought) approximately 2 week�s late. She always writes, �I�m sorry this is late.� This has been going on for many years. She very seldom misses anyone�s birthday � but they are ALWAYS late by two weeks or more. No one will mention it to her because we love her and are grateful that she remembers us with nice cards �. but why are they always late?? If she can remember to mail them two weeks late, why can�t she remember to mail them so that they will arrive at the right time? Tis a mystery.
Perhaps the sister-in-law just wants to extend the birthday celebration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

No, I wouldn't give in and buy $ stamps. It takes time to get to the store and then to address and mail it out. Not to mention it takes time to get the postage for it too. It should be win/win and I bet it is. The person getting the card is still pleased (at least I hope so). Does everyone complain or just your MIL? I have a country plaque that says, "It it what it is." In this case this is so true! You get them there when you get them there....It is what it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
No, I wouldn't give in and buy $ stamps. It takes time to get to the store and then to address and mail it out. Not to mention it takes time to get the postage for it too. It should be win/win and I bet it is. The person getting the card is still pleased (at least I hope so). Does everyone complain or just your MIL? I have a country plaque that says, "It it what it is." In this case this is so true! You get them there when you get them there....It is what it is!
I meant to say I wouldn't give in and buy $ cards!!! And I also meant it takes some time to get to the store and buy those cards. I almost always get mine out on time but I do have one going out to my best friend from childhood.

I called her and wished her a happy BD and said I still wanted to get a card out and she said, "Oh, you and those homemade cards. Show off." I couldn't believe she said that. I said "That's not what's it's about at all." I had thought I wouldn't send her cards after this...I'm still not sure what I'll do. I never want my cards to be a burden, as in people having to keep them. I want to bring joy to the people I make them for. If it's a negative for her and she doesn't feel pleased when my cards arrive and she thinking negative thoughts, I'd rather not put her through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
So when do you send for international post -

Last year my youngest got a birthday gift a month late that was sent a month early. It didn't help that someone along the chain felt the need to take the gift inside for their own. However, according the logic expressed here, it was late and there are no excuses?!

As for my occasional late cards most of them are postal issues - occasionally they are posting/creative issues.

I get it that a lot of people have generic cards ready to go for anyone. Maybe that is the solution. I always feel that a personalized to the receipient card is worth it even if it is a day late. This isn't business nor professional correspondence, this is social and social graces should politely receive any good will at any time and keep a smile on your face and be thankful for it. ;)

FWIW I'm always early for all appointments and professional deadlines.

I find it interesting the idea perpetuated that someone can't be bothered if they are late when I (and I am certain many others) can attest to the fact that that generalization isn't always the case. I wish I didn't care about the receipient so much so I could just do a challenge and slap a stamp on it and not worry about whether it is their favorite color, animal, flower, interest etc...because it doesn't matter as long as they get something right?
She didn't say there were no excuses. In fact, she said that life does happen. There are people who always make excuses for not sending birthday cards, thank-yous, etc. She and I aren't referring to occasional delays and mishaps. It's the ones whose lives are just too busy to mail your card out a few days ahead of time to at least try to get it there on time. And if something is coming from another country, I would certainly understand if it arrived late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Speaking for only myself here, if a person means enough to me to want to create a hand-made card instead of a store-bought card, then I choose not to put them so far on the backburner of my life that I can't get around to them until after their special day has come and gone. It just sounds too strange to say "I can get to a dentist appointment on a specific time on a specific day, but I can't get around to addressing an envelope with a stamp or getting to the post office for the entire month before your special day." But, that's just me.

And another thing...there are some folks on here who have a personal desire to create home-made cards for recipients who don't seem to appreciate the effort. That breaks my heart!!! There is nothing cheap or easy about the time and intention it takes to create that card for someone, and if they aren't "card-worthy", then they shouldn't get that kind of effort from you. Just sayin'...

For those folks who don't have a stash of all-year-long cards, you might consider participating in a swap to help create that stockpile that you can use when you are in a time crunch. That way you will have some of your own and some that may not be made by you, but they still nicer than what you will find in card aisle at the dollar store. Plus it's a fun way to share some creativity and get fresh ideas for your own designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to say I don't understand giving swap cards. My cards are a gift from and of myself. If I'm going to send a swap card I may as well buy a card. Maybe that will work for others.

I guess I was just raised to appreciate anyone thinking of me enough to send me a card whenever I receive it as a special (store bought or handmade).

I understand where if someone is organized and always on time with cards that it could be irritating to them to receive late cards, however, I guess I see the other side of the gift overall of time in a person's life that may not be the best time organizer and who could have said forget it I'll just buy something less personal.

I do find it interesting how unforgiving of each others quirks we are if they don't align with our beliefs.

TBH a late card isn't like a person who is always late. It doesn't keep anyone from celebrating the day or make anyone late for another appointment. There is no overt ongoing consequence of a late card. I guess I have to agree with the person that said "it is what it is".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is hoarding a certain type of birth control as she decides if her dates are "worthy" enough. I have a list of folks who are certainly worthy of my own cards, and everyone else gets whatever I have on hand in the swap box. In a desperate pinch, I will buy one at the store, but it kills me to spend a lot doing that. Have you seen how much they cost these days?

Mine may not have music that plays or a pre-recorded message with my own voice, but honestly $8-9 for a mass-produced piece of cardstock with some glitter? Really?!?!?

It makes me run a mental list of all the stamping and scrapping supplies I could buy instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I like to make cards for everyone for their birthdays too. I use card sketches and such. So, in November I am creating for January birthdays, December for February, etc. I have a list near my little table with everyone's birthdays and then create 2 months in advance. If it is international then I mail it a month in advance. It may or may not get there in time but I figure a month in advance should be sufficient. But for Christmas I do try to get the Internationals ones out earlier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,087 Likes on 832 Posts

So - sometimes I'll make my cards specially with the person in mind. I can often fit that in with a challenge a couple of weeks before, but sometimes I'll make a card just for that person, no challenges in mind at all.
But of the cards I make for challenges, they go into two boxes, ones that I don't want to give away because I really like them, and ones that I am OK to send out (not saying they're second rate or anything!! just that I don't love them as much). So special people who don't get a card made especially for them get one of the *keeper* cards instead of one of the *to go* cards.
I agree that I wouldn't be able to send out a swap card. It has to be my own work or it may as well be a store-bought card. I understand why people send BRAK cards and suchlike that can be re-used, but as I wouldn't use them I tend to pass those on to Hotwheels (SCS member) for one of the charities she supports.
International post/timing is another issue. I generally find a week in advance covers North America and the States. Anything slower is the postal services experiencing delays. And some countries are slower than others - Spain is a disaster!! As a recipient, stuff can get here from the States faster than from the UK. So my bottom line on international postage is that if the postmark shows it was sent a week before, I'm not going to think the sender was tardy in posting it, no matter when it arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 AM   #52  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I worked in accounts payable, back in the olden days when we sent out checks, we used to make up the envelopes with a date to mail written in the top right corner, then the stamp would cover it. I suppose you could make your cards the month ahead and keep the envelopes near your stamps and mail them as the date on the corner comes up.

you do notice i say you - I am never this organized LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

It's fascinating to read everyones' opinions and the way we all do or don't do things when it comes to cards. I am one of those people who is never late for an appointment, deadline, whatever. I find it rude; but that's me. Life does get in the way sometimes. I make cards for the joy I get in creating and sending. I also know that I am showing and sending my love to the recipient. What they do with that card or what they think about it, I guess I really don't think about too much. As a super self-critical person, I work hard on each card and then let it go!
Here's something to think about & this just speaks to my life.....in the course of the last 11 years my wonderful Grandma and Grandpa, my Mother-in-law, my Mom, my younger sister, and my younger brother all passed away. So, that said, I am at the place in my life where I'm thrilled to have someone I care about to send cards to and thrilled to receive them - whenever they come.
I'm not being fatalistic, but we just never know what's coming tomorrow; so I try to live with an "attitude of gratitude" and don't sweat the small stuff!
Again, it's interesting what different places we all come from, what life experiences have helped shape who we are and what our opinions & priorities are.
This is a great thread! Thanks for posing that first question!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm of a like mind as RiverIsis.

I don't send any old card especially to family members or close friends - it is always made specifically for them. And those are mostly the people I send cards to. Also, before I made them, I used to spend hours looking for just the right card - and even then, with store-bought, I often sent cards late. Yes, I'm still going to try to make cards for everyone a year ahead, but as a challenge to myself. And I appreciate all of the tips for those of you who manage to organize your card-sending. . . SuG, your story is a bit like I do my bills so maybe I should incorporate cards into that scenario.

But the idea that a late greeting card somehow characterizes a person as generally disrespectful? Unreliable? Rude? No. I don't buy that. It's not true in my case and I'm sure many others as well. If you're going to make generalizations about someone based on a quirk like that, then you're probably disappointed in most people most of the time.

I responded to the OP in camaraderie - some of us are a little more challenged with this sort of thing. I was honestly shocked to read such judgmental comments on the topic.

Everyone's situation is different. I'm in my 50s and the youngest of my siblings ~ no one gets all wrapped up in the dates. We're happy to be celebrating birthdays. And even though my birthday is in December, I would be thrilled to get a birthday card in the middle of July - from a dear friend or family member who was thinking of me and kind enough to send their warm wishes - late, early, whatever. What could be more wonderful than that?!! I've never known anyone personally who would grumble over receiving a birthday card late. It could be that over the years we've also gotten used to celebrating birthdays a week or two on either side -- whatever would work out best for everyone to get together. I have a friend with whom I exchanged Christmas gifts for years -- often in the spring!! It was our thing and we loved it.

Maybe some of us are a little more flexible. I believe it's the thought that counts, and better late than never.

And would not send a swap card either - to me, swap cards are business tools. Can't see any other reason for doing it.

Interestingly, I heard on the radio this morning the top 10 things people forget, according to the company Avery:

#1.) To return phone calls

#2.) To reply to emails

#3.) People’s names

#4.) Sending birthday cards

#5.) Charging our phones

#6.) Passwords to different websites

#7.) Taking meat out of the freezer to defrost it

#8.) Watering the plants

#9.) Grabbing print-outs from the printer

#10.) Taking out the garbage

I'm definitely #7, too. Not to say that's an "excuse" -- but RiverIsis, you and I are obviously not alone .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

That list is missing a few items....

11. Where I put my car keys.
12. Where my kids put everything else ("MOM! Where is my _______?")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, Mindy!!

Just got off the phone with my sister whose birthday was yesterday. I had tried to call yesterday and couldn't reach her. I answered the phone singing "Happy yesterday's birthday to you." I asked if it bothered her that cards were late and she gave me an unequivocal "No," with a tone that said, well that would be petty wouldn't it? And then told me that our one aunt used to say, it's never late, just almost a year early .

Not sure I'd even go that far though ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

So interesting to hear several people say that they wouldn't give out swap cards. I'm no longer an demonstrator so I have no business need to participate in swaps. I keep and use the cards I receive that fit into my asthetic and level of quality. I save cards that I don't give out to donate to various organizations. Doesn't bother me at all to give out a card I didn't make to friends or family members. I just got cards back from a swap and there are 2 cards that are perfect for my two nephews' November birthdays and even an awesome card so perfect for my dad. on the topic of the thread....I may not get these three cards out in time, however, for the birthdays!

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
[on the soapbox]

I think I am more inclined to agree with "love pretty paper" and "karen99". A card that is more than a day or two late feels rude and even a little disrespectful. The sender had 365 days to get it together and in the mail on time. If there is some meaningful message about receiving a hand-made card because I'm worth it, then the whole after-the-fact tardiness erased that sentiment and now I feel like an after thought.

And in this day of hustle and bustle, I get really tired of hearing the same excuses over and over again. Yes, life happens. Yes, we are ALL busy. But that's why we have these really handy tools like calendars, daily planners, and electronic reminder do-dads - to help us stay on top of our crazy schedules and stop hiding behind excuses for our procrastination. And when the BIG things in life pop up unexpectedly (major illness, premature labor, death, etc.) I don't think anyone should worry about a piece of cardstock being mailed out at all.

I tell my kids that people's perceptions of them has to do with patterns of behavior. If you are the kind of person that is ALWAYS a day late or a dollar short - that says something about you. If you are ALWAYS on time and prepared, then that one time you aren't, folks are a lot more forgiving. And, you have nearly total control over that perception by your own habitual behavior, so make it count. (Lord, I sound like my father!)

And that whole thing about resenting sending cards for your spouse's family grates me the wrong way too. You married in - it's your family too. That being said, unless your spouse is missing a hand, there isn't a valid reason on earth that they can't sign a card, address an envelope and stick a stamp on it in the same timely manner that you can. If it's so important to them, then they can step up to the plate and prove it.

[off the soapbox]
Really liked what you said! Especially the part that if you're always on time then the one time you're late nobody is going to curse you.

To the OP, I think the answer is a combination of sender and reciever. If I know that a recipient would be more happy to recieve a timely card than a belated handmade card then I would rather send a store bought card that gets to the recipient on time. The card is supposed to make the recipient happy - at least that's my opinion. So sending a belated card to such a recipient is sort of wasted effort. I would've spent so much time and energy on that card and even before I send it I know that it's not going to make the recipient happy because it'll be late.

Last edited by smriti; 11-07-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

RiverIsis, as the lucky recipient of many of your cards, trust me when I say this any delay is worth the wait.

I will swap your MIL with mine if you like lol! failing that we can bask in the glory of being awful DIL 's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #60  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

This makes me mad as heck for you..........you go to the cheapest place...Dollar General and buy a box of cards. I would sit down in front of my husband and address every one of them. Then I would write the words of whatever darn holiday is coming along. Put the stamps on them. Now you have them done for 6 months or a year. Put them in a basket and mail on time...........but know.......... this lady just likes to gritch and she will find something else.............the thought of a homemade card is love and I don't give a rats when I get one but I darn sure appreciate it.............tell your husband I would love to get your cards........bless your heart.......please let us know what you do...save the nerves and do it this way...hugs!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisView Post
This makes me mad as heck for you..........you go to the cheapest place...Dollar General and buy a box of cards. I would sit down in front of my husband and address every one of them. Then I would write the words of whatever darn holiday is coming along. Put the stamps on them. Now you have them done for 6 months or a year. Put them in a basket and mail on time...........but know.......... this lady just likes to gritch and she will find something else.............the thought of a homemade card is love and I don't give a rats when I get one but I darn sure appreciate it.............tell your husband I would love to get your cards........bless your heart.......please let us know what you do...save the nerves and do it this way...hugs!!
I love your style, Sis .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisView Post
:lol: I think you have hit the nail on the head - if it weren't a late card it would be something else! :lol: ;)

And truthfully on the relevance in life scale I just don't think a late congratulatory message of goodwill is an awful thing. I keep thinking about being grateful for what I do have and not sweating what I don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Cool

I couldn't have said this any better. And yes, if I am in that big of a time crunch, I will do a store bought. But please don't shoot any arrows at me, as this is just my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
[on the soapbox]

I think I am more inclined to agree with "love pretty paper" and "karen99". A card that is more than a day or two late feels rude and even a little disrespectful. The sender had 365 days to get it together and in the mail on time. If there is some meaningful message about receiving a hand-made card because I'm worth it, then the whole after-the-fact tardiness erased that sentiment and now I feel like an after thought.

And in this day of hustle and bustle, I get really tired of hearing the same excuses over and over again. Yes, life happens. Yes, we are ALL busy. But that's why we have these really handy tools like calendars, daily planners, and electronic reminder do-dads - to help us stay on top of our crazy schedules and stop hiding behind excuses for our procrastination. And when the BIG things in life pop up unexpectedly (major illness, premature labor, death, etc.) I don't think anyone should worry about a piece of cardstock being mailed out at all.

I tell my kids that people's perceptions of them has to do with patterns of behavior. If you are the kind of person that is ALWAYS a day late or a dollar short - that says something about you. If you are ALWAYS on time and prepared, then that one time you aren't, folks are a lot more forgiving. And, you have nearly total control over that perception by your own habitual behavior, so make it count. (Lord, I sound like my father!)

And that whole thing about resenting sending cards for your spouse's family grates me the wrong way too. You married in - it's your family too. That being said, unless your spouse is missing a hand, there isn't a valid reason on earth that they can't sign a card, address an envelope and stick a stamp on it in the same timely manner that you can. If it's so important to them, then they can step up to the plate and prove it.

[off the soapbox]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think part of this is that I have a different concept to making cards than many do - I actually use the recipient as my muse. They don't just get a challenge card I did but a card that I thought of by thinking of them.
I don't know if I want to just send a challenge card made for the sake of it card. That isn't the kind of cardmaker I am. I don't think there is anything wrong with that if that works for others. However, I'm not certain how much joy I would get from sending a challenge card and lets be honest the reason why we make cards is because it brings us some elements of joy.

Maybe I just need a stamp that says all that to stamp on each card! LOL!

As for popping a stamp on, it's not that easy with international post and packaging. I do that with my post that stays in the country. Most of my cards are so dimensional for my overseas relatives that I even have to fill out custom forms for a card.

Hopefully this will be the year I get my cards down in January like I promised myself last year! and the year before! LOL!
This is how I make cards too. Anything that needs to be mailed is usually late including gifts. Fortunately this is a trend with my family so no one really minds. It just prolongs the celebration

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I admit I am sometimes late, but I had a friend that said a birthday is like a personal holiday and special occasion since you don't have to share it with anyone I try to be on time . I check the list at the beginning of the month, and check them off as I mail them. Works pretty well most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Late Cards

Maybe a day or two late - okay - but I know how I feel after that. Unless something comes up unexpectedly, cards should be sent out in a timely manner. I love making cards for people - it sounds like some of you don't - (you just do it because you feel you have to) so that puts the brakes on for maybe getting them out in time. Try to enjoy doing them - that will help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

I make all the cards for the month at least a month ahead. I fold the addressed envelope around them and, where the stamp(s) will go, I write the date it must arrive (checking to be sure that if the birthday lands on a Sunday or holiday that I change that to an earlier date) then I put the date that it must go out. I place them in the pocket of my card calendar for the appropriate month (or in a basket for the more numerous ones for holidays). I check this every day, write the note inside, and put it in the pile for the post office. Since I live rural, I have to go to the post office for all mail---sending and receiving---so it's a daily chore. With this system, even if we are going on a trip, I can grab the cards that need to go out (sometimes adjusting the send date if I am going further away from the recipient) and take them with me. All hotels will post mail for you so my task is even easier than when I'm at home! Maybe you could get ahead in a month that you don't have too many cards to make and get the next month done in advance. Once you are ahead, you can always work that way. However, I do believe that people should be understanding when "life" happens and one gets behind. If my DIL would EVER send me a card (even store-bought), I would jump for joy! I get a call from my son with her in the background, but that's it! Oh well, such is life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 354 Likes on 224 Posts

I try to send cards on time. I keep a spreadsheet so I know what card I sent the person before. At the beginning of the month, I print out a sheet with all the birthdays or events and keep it handy on my desk, and I try to review who needs a card in the next few days. I think most people like receiving the handmade cards, which definitely puts on pressure since I feel I have to make cards. But all that being said, life sometimes gets in the way, and we have to cut ourselves some slack when we send a card late. Maybe it matters more to MIL to have a card on time than a personal one made with love ;-) so why not keep a few generic store bought cards that can be dropped in the mail in a timely fashion and make her happy on her birthday?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking My response

I, like many others, am habitually late with birthday cards. I also like to use the recipient as my muse, so don't send generic cards. A couple of years ago I had a stamp made that reads: "Even a late card is better than a bill." That's my story and I'm sticking with it. LOL I stamp it on the envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #70  
Inking Addict

What's the difference between In-laws and outlaws...
.....................Outlaws are wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

A card is a gift. The receiver shouldn't ask for it or have any expectations about it. If I made it for you, whether it's late or not, I took the time and resources to do it for you because I care about you.
We should be grateful for what we receive and we shouldn't have to sweat the small stuff. As important as our craft is to us, it's not life and death.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #72  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not mail the cards early? If it arrives a few days before the actual birthdate, the recipient can enjoy it longer and show it off to others who give store bought cards. That gives one much more time to celebrate and takes the pressure off of trying to have the card arrive on the exact date.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a special book with the names and birthdays of my favorite people. I refer to it a month or two in advance so the cards are made on time. It is not hard to be on time for appointments, lunches, and card sending. It does take discipline, but so do most things in life. An occasional late card is okay, but chronic tardiness shows a lack of respect for the person on the other end. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, but as a punctual person, I am frustrated with others not showing me the same courtesy -- cards, lunches, meetings, whatever. Great, great thread here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #74  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I also make my cards with the person in mind. If I've nearly forgotten, then I will pull one of my pre-mades out because I'd rather send a premade early than a more detailed one late. I too have an excel spreadsheet so I can type in the name of the stamp. I wouldn't want someone receiving the same stamp and layout every year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with you to a certain extent. If you are sending a card for no apparent reason, it's fine to do it on your own schedule. If you are sending that card for a certain occasion...then I try to send said card on the date of that occasion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mztamelaView Post
A card is a gift. The receiver shouldn't ask for it or have any expectations about it. If I made it for you, whether it's late or not, I took the time and resources to do it for you because I care about you.
We should be grateful for what we receive and we shouldn't have to sweat the small stuff. As important as our craft is to us, it's not life and death.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I sometimes realize part ways into the creation of a card that, oh, this would be just right for so-and-so! I save those to use for that person's birthday even if it is months away. I tend to get mind block if I think that I must immediately make a card for a certain person.

We have a family calendar in our kitchen which we look at often. If something's not on that calendar then it doesn't exist! At the beginning of the year I choose a stamp like a cake or balloon, and some brightly colored ink and stamp it on each bday for the year and write each persons name inside the stamped image so that I won't forget anyone's special day. It helps me notice it well in advance so that I don't feel rushed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #77  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandrollstamperView Post
What's the difference between In-laws and outlaws...
.....................Outlaws are wanted.
Thank you for making me laugh!

I am always late sending cards and feel very guilty about it. Today I hope to make a wedding card that is 3 months late. It's for my husband's co-worker and if my husband knew how late it was he would be very mad (dh is in Afghanistan now). If I added up all the time I spent over the last 3 months thinking about that card and feeling bad about it, I could have made 10 cards. So.... my New Year's Resolution is going to be sending cards out on time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #78  
Kookie Creator

Maybe with the people you have conflict over- ask yourself, what's more important, for me to make something I think is meaningful, or for her to get it on time? Ideally, you could plan to have it both ways, but like you say, life gets in the way. So if planning ahead doesn't work, and having less personalized cards available for that instance is too hard for you, tell yourself the more important thing is to make that person happy, and have something be on time at least.

That being said, no matter what I'd do, I'd get flap for it- so in that case, I try to make myself happy. Sometimes that means *no cards* mwa hahah...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

@RiverIsis: I agree, when I read your first post, I thought, this is not about the cards. If not for them being late, it would be something else. I too have loved ones who do this, but about other things.

As for myself, I'm a last-minute mailer who went from maybe it got there on time to now mailing it atleast half a week before. And one of my 2012 resolves is to mail mine 2 weeks ahead regarding birthday and anniversary cards. WHY? Because I merely put myself in their places. Part of a handmade card is that it is the gift as well, usually. And I really appreciate it when I get my cards early so I can display them and enjoy them. Nothing says loving like when you send something ahead of time - it says, I know and value your special day. I remembered. That's just my opinion, of course. But even when it's handmade, I think it is kind of a bummer to get a birthday card late.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #80  
Compulsive Stamper

Stop sending the mother in law a card and let us know what she says then. Some people complain just to complain. She already knows you are late.

Send her a card every month but the right one. Maybe she will catch on.
Reply With Quote Likes