Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else feel this way?

I bought a 6x6 album to make for my mom. (my first 6x6 ever!) I bought it b/c i thought the idea of sending more pages as cards was so cool- but now that I have been working on it.... I'm not such a big fan. :( I have found that the square-ness and small-ness of the pages have been a huge creativity buster. I have done other small albums- 5x7 and really enjoyed them, I think it's something about the square that messes me up.

Anyone else have this problem? (i have searched through the gallery to CASE things... you guys have done great stuff- but when I sit down with my photos, I'm at a loss. I am actually a little embarrassed to give it to her b/c she has seen my other work- this one looks like a kid did it!

PLEASE OH PLEASE SU can we have the 5x7's back again?

OH! one more thing- I love the look of the linen, but i find that it's getting dirty looking just from sitting on my desk while i fill it... anyone else
Heather
(this is really the first "complaint" i've had with SU, mostly i love everything! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

i didn't do any scrapbooking until i discovered the fun of 6x6, i like the size and have had good results with the layouts. Keep trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I love the 6x6 pages. I also like the pages that can be a 6x6 and then can be added to a 8x11 and those added to a 12x12. When I finally start scrapping, I'm definitely doing the 6x6 pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not an experienced scrapbooker at all. Wanting to start, I thought I'd try the 6x6 figuring it was closer to a card and therefore similar to what I was comfortable with. Well, I just had a real hard time with it and thought it was the scrapbooking process in general.

Giving it one more shot, I went to my local scrapbook store and took a class using the 12x12 pages. So much easier!!!! I actually enjoyed the process so much more and I thought that the pages looked better in the 12x12.

So, this is a long winded I hear ya!!! And I agree, having trouble with the smaller size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've done a 12x12 and a couple of 6x6 albums. I found the difference to be similar to the difference between writing a novel versus a short story. For the 6x6, don't try so much to tell the story. Let the photos do that. I just use the formatting to frame the pictures. Also, crop, crop, crop!! I trimmed down so much excess stuff from my pictures. Focused just on the central figure(s) in the photos. The 12x12 album I did was my daughter's wedding pictures, so that was a complete labor of love. But I think the 6x6 format suits me better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I love 6x6, and I find myself creating more gifts and themed albums. The squareness is an adjustment, but I love the fact that one 12x12 piece of paper will give me 4 6x6 pages. It sure helps our designer series paper go a lot further!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I *love* my 6x6 albums! Like RT said, when working with this size, let the pics tell the story! I love my pics, and prefer to have them shine rather than all of the extra embellishments and doodads I tend to find space for on the bigger pages. I like to use flaps & hinges to make more room for journaling on the 6x6, too. I get such a sense of accomplishment from making them! Perfect for those "I only have one really good picture" things that you want to scrap!

I do work with 12x12 & 8 1/2 x 11, too. . . but not as much as the 6x6! And even with the 12x12, I find myself focusing on just one big, wonderful picture! I like a simple, uncluttered page, and 6x6 gives me just that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #8  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should check out jenn's work-when I think of 6x6 I think of her. She has a way to take one photo and make story out of it! LOL

I think one thing that is important with 6x6 is finding a good image-not an all smiley one, but one with a little interest-a look in the eyes or an open mouth smile.
Did you see teh pic LisaLisa posted of her daughter in teh snow a few days ago? To me that pic would be awesome for a 6x6 b/c her expression says it all-ya know?

I am sure you are being really critical-I would love to see some of your cards/pages.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Default avid scrapbooker

I actually scrapbook more than make cards (yes I do a lot of stamping in my scrapbooks). I find that the 6 x 6 and other smaller formats are better used as simple brag book style scrapbooks. Highlight a picture with a title or a few short words and embelishments. Save the detail and multiple picture layouts for 12 x 12 scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made my first 6X6 book as a Christmas present for my Grandmother for Christmas. We were in Florida in October for her 90th birthday. I had a bit of a hard time in that I REALLY like to get up close and personal with my photos. There usually isn't a lot to crop out. That was my only complaint.

I used the polka dot party SU scrapping kit and a few other embellishments and I loved how easily it all pulled together. I did not do a lot of journalling, as some of the others have said -- let the pictures do the talking.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I agree, that 12 x 12 is easier to work with...but only if you plan on putting a lot onto a page. For fast pages, I prefer 6 x 6, and you can make some very cute, simple pages if you don't try to put too much on them. Start with you pic, and pic out the colors that you want to *highlight*. Mat your photo, work out a title, and maybe add some ribbon and a tag. You can also do a simple background if the pic isn't too busy. That's usually enough for 6 x 6. Not much room for journalling, but you can write a date or ages on the tag, or put one of those little tabs on the pic.

HTH,
Michelle

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/michellenstamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my 6X6 albums!! It's so much easier to keep them simple and to the point. Keep working with it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I think there is a place for all sizes!
My kids have a "first year" 6 x 6 brag book, an 8 1/2 x 11 for everything else and our family album is 12 x 12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #14  
Failed Lurker

I wish I'd discovered 6x6 earlier! I am still new to it, but love the speed of it. If you are missing the journalling, why not do a spread - put the photo on one side of the spread and the words on the other? In other words, treat it as a 12x6 - that should stop you feeling caged in by the squareness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I like the 6x6 pages. The main reason is because its easy. I have a lot of photos that don't seem to match. It makes it hard to do a 12x12 page with only one photo. The 6x6 pages work great for my single photos. They are also good for school photos.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I find the 6x6 much easier to use. It seems like I only get one or two "good" photo's and they seem to get lost on an 8.5x11 or 12x12. They tend highlight your photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

I tried the 8x8 and like it better than the 6x6. This size gives me a little more room. I use my stampinup supplies to make the pages, but I do have to purchase a non-stampinup album to put them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Stampdancer-it sounds like you are used to working in 8 1/2 by 11. That may be why you have a hard time with 6x6. Where for people who usually work in 12x12 the "squareness" is normal. I find 5x7 difficult. :lol:
In my experience (as a sb instructor at Michaels) more people use a 12x12 album so that is probably why SU! has changed to 6x6 as well.

Give it a chance, It will just take some getting used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2005, 02:57 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I just did a 6x6 for my parents for Christmas. I was used to 12x12 and was a little frustrated at first until I started spreading it over two pages. I just had to make sure that the two pages faced each other in the album. Once I did that I had a lot of fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes