Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else notice store bought cards are looking more like our homemade ones?

I work out of my house and sit at the dining room table where I have all my Christmas cards lined up. After looking at them for a few days I began to notice that they looked more like our homemade cards. One of them had glittered snowflakes, ribbon, some bling, and a die cut like label added to it. Another one was a simple tree made out of what looks like punched circles of glitter and Cardstock. Of course they are bigger and do have other features a little different from ours but still... I think we are making an impact! Oh and I noticed they cost $4.99 each so even though my supplies cost more, I'll make a bunch more cards out of them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Yes, absolutely noticed! Got this one from my sister.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:: I will not want anything else I will not want anything else:: Kathy, is there a die shaped like that snow globe? I think I know the answer but don't want to know because I really love those cards LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I work out of my house and sit at the dining room table where I have all my Christmas cards lined up. After looking at them for a few days I began to notice that they looked more like our homemade cards. One of them had glittered snowflakes, ribbon, some bling, and a die cut like label added to it. Another one was a simple tree made out of what looks like punched circles of glitter and Cardstock. Of course they are bigger and do have other features a little different from ours but still... I think we are making an impact! Oh and I noticed they cost $4.99 each so even though my supplies cost more, I'll make a bunch more cards out of them.
I have noticed this for a while, but what I think is sad is that the commercial "handmade" seems sterile and lacks life. I've been making junk journals and cards for some close friends, and I am continually surprised at how moved they are, looking at a handmade item made specifically for them. They are often speechless! They show it to everybody they know and keep talking about it.

I'm convinced that the love and energy that you put into a handmade item somehow radiates from it. I know that a newsboy cap that I purchased from a Brooklyn knitter on Etsy gets more compliments than anything I've ever worn! It just seems to attract attention and positive energy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
:: I will not want anything else I will not want anything else:: Kathy, is there a die shaped like that snow globe? I think I know the answer but don't want to know because I really love those cards LOL
Stampin Up has a die set of a snow globe. I think you could figure out a way to use it to make a card like this store bought card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Not that you want to hear this but I just googled snow globe die cut and it came up with about 10 different diecuts - from Avery Elle to Lawn Farm to Taylored Expressions...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Yes I have noticed it as well! and I have people buying me 'homemade' cards so that I can see what someone else has done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

well, if you already have circle dies... Memory box has a set of dies that make regular circles into snow globes ( its a set of bases)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
well, if you already have circle dies... Memory box has a set of dies that make regular circles into snow globes ( its a set of bases)
Oh that's excellent! Thank you!

jukie, thanks for doing my legwork for me � much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I have noticed this for a while, but what I think is sad is that the commercial "handmade" seems sterile and lacks life. I've been making junk journals and cards for some close friends, and I am continually surprised at how moved they are, looking at a handmade item made specifically for them. They are often speechless! They show it to everybody they know and keep talking about it.

I'm convinced that the love and energy that you put into a handmade item somehow radiates from it. I know that a newsboy cap that I purchased from a Brooklyn knitter on Etsy gets more compliments than anything I've ever worn! It just seems to attract attention and positive energy.
I agree with you about handmade cards, and other handmade items. I crochet and always have a bunch of dishcloths/potholders lurking around that I've made. The people I've given them to have raved about them, and told me how much they enjoy using them. Who would have thought dishcloths and potholders could get such responses. I have one friend who told me they were too pretty to use on pots, and she uses them for her face as they are 100% cotton!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Who would have thought dishcloths and potholders could get such responses. I have one friend who told me they were too pretty to use on pots, and she uses them for her face as they are 100% cotton!
A librarian friend asked me about my favorite colors after I sponsored a knitting event at the library, and then knitted me the most beautiful washcloth that I have only looked at but never used
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

I agree with you about handmade cards, and other handmade items. I crochet and always have a bunch of dishcloths/potholders lurking around that I've made. The people I've given them to have raved about them, and told me how much they enjoy using them. Who would have thought dishcloths and potholders could get such responses. I have one friend who told me they were too pretty to use on pots, and she uses them for her face as they are 100% cotton!
I haven't made any recently, but got the same response from the recipients when I did give them away. I personally don't like to use them for dishes as they seem to take too long to dry. I never thought about using them for a face washcloth though.... Interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have noticed this too. I seem to be receiving a lot of trendy foiled cards this year. I don't have the tools to make foiled cards, but I have noticed a lot of card makers have embraced this trend this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 739 Likes on 359 Posts

I noticed this several years ago in the small stationary stores. As I have mentioned before they aggravate me no end. They say "handmade". The H they are. They are machined parts that MAYBE someone hand assembled. Big difference. And around here they get $10 a piece for them. The owners probably think I am insane since I stand there inspecting them carefully LOL

Meanwhile..there was one little gift shop who had cards once that they were selling for $30!!! Those I do believe were handmade. There was a whole thing on the back about the artist and using vintage papers (to make skirts and dresses cutouts) But that was crazy and they didnt repeat them. I should have taken pics. Of course the store had marked them up so maybe the person only got 10-15 for them? I am trying to find out.

But in my travels I have seen lovely HM ones in little shops for 5. So there you go.

Thank you Stacy. I may need to look at that die set too!

To me, this feels like the "Year of the Flock". I used a flocked DP on my cards, the cards I got last year on sale- I had forgotten had flock, and I have received several cards with flock on it. But maybe they got theirs on sale too last year lol.

Hallmark did launch that new series that has a lot of embellishment to it that we talked about before...that may well be in reaction to us. They are like 8 each? Definitely takes extra postage. Wire, Wood cut outs, fabric, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I am part of an ongoing survey group that asks us to record our card and gift wrap purchases. It also asks us to record if we handmade any cards. After each holiday (Easter, Mother's Day, etc.), I get an additional survey asking me in-depth questions about who I recognized and how I recognized them for that particular holiday. I have been in this survey group for several years, but it is not revealed to us which company wants this information. I always assumed it was Hallmark or American Greetings.

Maybe they saw a trend in these surveys, in addition to the popularity of Pinterest and Etsy, and began offering "handmade" cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I made Snow Globe C'mas cards a couple years ago but used a vintage clock die to make it from the Artistry Cricut cart by CTMH It was perfect for a Snow Globe and they turned out really pretty!

I just used stickles for the falling snow but that flocked stuff that was new a couple years back would be so much nicer and so real looking. Was it called Flower Soft??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

I have some crocheted potholders that my grandmother made eons ago before she died. One is ''perfect" no flaws, the other is misshapen because it was one of the last ones she made before Parkinson's and Alzheimers took over. They are over 20 years old and I use them everyday. She didn't teach me but it's because of her and her potholders that I taught myself how to crochet.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I have some crocheted potholders that my grandmother made eons ago before she died. One is ''perfect" no flaws, the other is misshapen because it was one of the last ones she made before Parkinson's and Alzheimers took over. They are over 20 years old and I use them everyday. She didn't teach me but it's because of her and her potholders that I taught myself how to crochet.
Awww, what a sweet story about your grandmother.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

So I was buying Christmas cards for next year on the post holiday sale yesterday at Papyrus...wow.

I have gotten very critical and fussy! Nothing looks as good to me as what I see here! I barely found some! Plus they are not telling people many of those cards will take a second stamp to mail.

Dh says to me "they are handmade". I said no, they are not. He says it says so on the box. I reply I dont care what they say. Those are printed/machined parts someone just glued together by hand. So NOT the same thing!

I find myself getting madder each year when I see that kind of thing. Worse..their cards are expensive. I miss the old Hallmark and American Greeting stores. Pretty cards, cheaper and they didnt pretend stuff.

I went to my local stationary store-they had Papyrus! Ack! (and some lovely Caspari and Crane but old/classic designs I have already used)

I want them to go back to being themselves and leave us to the making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Memory Box's Snow Globe Bases Open Studio Craft Die Set (MB30066) has four bases that can be paired with circle dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

It sounds like H and AG are seeing how popular our hm cards are and are trying to duplicate it. I looked at the cards I received for Christmas this year and they are pretty much the standard ones except for those I KNOW made their cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

A few years ago everyone in the card making world seemed to be making the same card - the birch trees with few red cardinals onto red card. Loved them, so i bought the dies, but alas, never made one card from it. This year I finally made the cards - I feel so behind the times as far as this site goes, but everyone i gave a card to said they had never seen a card like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The card making companies are coming out with MECHANICAL cards too. I found several different snow globe ones in Barnes & Noble this year & they were EXPENSIVE, but they were REALLY NEAT! I did purchase a couple, thinking I might be able to figure it out....we'll see! LOL I can see myself getting it apart, & not being able to get it back together! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
A few years ago everyone in the card making world seemed to be making the same card - the birch trees with few red cardinals onto red card. Loved them, so i bought the dies, but alas, never made one card from it. This year I finally made the cards - I feel so behind the times as far as this site goes, but everyone i gave a card to said they had never seen a card like that.

I wouldn't worry about being behind the times!! I'm always several steps back, haha......but a person in the non-card-making world has no idea that the stamp I used for their card is 2 or 5 or 10 years old for that matter.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm always behind too! It's true no one I give cards to has any idea if something is outdated on a card.

I noticed cards in Walgreens about a year ago card starting to look more like homemade.....I felt it was a compliment to those of us who really make hm cards! What's that old saying? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #26  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

This Hallmark wedding card is very similar to a cutting plate I own:

Greeting Cards | Hallmark
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
This Hallmark wedding card is very similar to a cutting plate I own:

Greeting Cards | Hallmark
Which one? That opened to a whole page of HM wedding cards?

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 AM   #28  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Which one? That opened to a whole page of HM wedding cards?

Joni
They call it Laser-cut Floral and the price is $5.99

Hopefully this is a direct link (I had to go through several pages of "show more product" but now that I have the name the search feature can be used if the link is not specific):

Laser-Cut Floral - Greeting Cards - Hallmark
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
They call it Laser-cut Floral and the price is $5.99

Hopefully this is a direct link (I had to go through several pages of "show more product" but now that I have the name the search feature can be used if the link is not specific):

Laser-Cut Floral - Greeting Cards - Hallmark

The direct link worked...amazing...looks a lot like some die cuts I know of...::rolling my eyes::...LOL Thanks for doing the research on this - that had to take a while!

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Now I am curious which dies do look like this card front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
Now I am curious which dies do look like this card front.
Taylored Expressions has a wedding die almost the same as this card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much, I have found the die! They really look very similar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would hang that beautiful snow globe card on my Christmas tree..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

I have that die too ( the TE one so I was grinning when your link photo loaded)

the people on my list who get store bought cards for Christmas, I have found it easier to find things that appeal to me even in boxed batches so, yes. I do think there are lots of cards out there that look more like hand crafted ones. ( esp. ones at Papyrus)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
You are not behind the times. Many people were using the SU birch tree embossing folder from the Holiday mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am very behind card trends myself but I could care less and as said, our recipients dont have a clue. (unless they are card people and then still wont care and will appreciate your work)

I think I have that die too! I like cover dies...makes life much easier! Very easy to make a card with the bride's colors.

I remember seeing a piece on TV years ago about the Hallmark card creators...that they have lovely grounds that they go out and sit in while they think up expressions and designs and I thought at the time what a cool job to have. Well, now I do-minus the pretty park and the paycheck! lol It does make sense that they are keeping an ear to the ground to trends and we are no "small" trend!

I always liked "laser cut" cards-which I guess is why I like dies so much! At one time years ago I was starting to play with an Xacto knife to make "3D pop up cards"...scared me so I was very slow. Dies are so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I noticed they cost $4.99 each so even though my supplies cost more, I'll make a bunch more cards out of them.
This reminds me ... I made a birthday card for my niece's husband that we gave him at Christmas. He commented that his mother also made cards, and never buys "store-bought" ones anymore. My husband asked if he'd seen my stamping room and then added that my cards only cost $14.73 each to make! We all had a good laugh!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

If a store bought card pieces are machine cut and hand glued together with sequins or pearls added, what is the difference from one of us machine cutting it on a Cricut or with a Big Shot and putting it together. I have been to several card classes where everything was done ahead of time by the "instructor" and the "students" simply attached them to the textured paper, or whatever. They were all claimed to be "handmade" and were no more so than what the stores are offering as hand made. It is the reason I don't go to such classes anymore, don't own all those machines, make my own background papers and do primarily stamping, so that I can claim they are "hand stamped"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

It's not just cards it's also stamped type images on clothing and home decor.

Reply With Quote Likes