Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever had cards stolen?

Hi all!
I had some cards in the new boutique in town and had 18 of them stolen last week. We can pretty much pinpoint when it happened, since I had been there 2 days in a row. There one afternoon, gone the next morning! The interesting thing is, it wasn't a random grab---the cards were sorted through and the thief selected the ones they wanted! I was pretty bummed! Of the $129.50 inventory I had there I wound up with $39.50! The owner still took her commission on the ones sold. I removed the cards from the shop. I'm beyond being mad, just disappointed now...

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, how was it handled?

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default wow

Ouch! That's a big chunk of money.
Im surprised the owner didnt pass on her commission on the cards that did sell. Sad. I'd take my cards too. Sorry that happened to you :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Oh, ss that happened to you! Very frustrating I know it has to be. I'm weird though, my first thought would have been, wow, somebody liked them enough to steal them! LOL!

Senior Design Team member for Gina K Designs
Behind the Scenes Crew at StampTV.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default stolen cards?

Eeuuuuw! The owner took her commission on what you had left! That's cold!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is so sad.:
Did you have the cards on consignment? That being the case... I don't think the owner should have taken any commission on the ones that were sold. IMHO she is the one that owes you money. Unless there was a disclamer at the beginning of the transaction (not responsible for items lost, etc, etc.) which is always a red flag to me, for I feel it is a cop-out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

So not cool! I would of said something!!

I have items at a local peddler's mall. There people pick up items and walk around then decided that they don't want them and put them down someplace else. But the nice thing is at the end of the month they give you a printout of what did sell and one what day. I've not had to go looking for items - thank goodness - but it is irritating.

I still think that I would of said something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

The good news??? You're "stealable"! The bad news??? she should have had the heart to NOT take her commissions. If I had someone steal someone else's stuff from my shop, I would be, well, not so happy and would certainly not ask for any money.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I would file a police report!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #9  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymamaView Post
Hi all!
I had some cards in the new boutique in town and had 18 of them stolen last week. We can pretty much pinpoint when it happened, since I had been there 2 days in a row. There one afternoon, gone the next morning! The interesting thing is, it wasn't a random grab---the cards were sorted through and the thief selected the ones they wanted! I was pretty bummed! Of the $129.50 inventory I had there I wound up with $39.50! The owner still took her commission on the ones sold. I removed the cards from the shop. I'm beyond being mad, just disappointed now...

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, how was it handled?
i think it's appropriate for the store owner to take commission on what sold; that's your deal. HOWEVER, she should compensate you for your product that was stolen from her store! it's her responsibility to watch inventory - does she let people walk out with stuff as long as it isn't HER product? jesh!

it's a shame we live in a world where someone would steal handmade art!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
Eeuuuuw! The owner took her commission on what you had left! That's cold!

Jutta
That's pretty much what I thought, too!

The cards were on commission. I guess I learned an expensive lesson, since we didn't have a written aggreement. I really didn't realize I needed one...

On the same table the cards were sitting, she had a comment book and many people had written that her prices were too high (they are high). I just wonder if someone was trying to "gouge" her back? Don't know---how does a thief think? It just seems so fishy to me. Like I posted before, the cards were sorted through and the thief choose what they wanted. They didn't just take a random handful...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

First very sorry - I think if I had been the owner I would have felt awful.

Did your little display say that you were a completely different business? as you say it could have been a way of someone getting something back etc and they got the wrong person.

Personally, I would put a well worded letter to the Editor of the local paper together (especially if you live in a small community) - About how you enjoy making cards etc but have had this experience (be careful not to point any fingers at the owner) maybe then word will get back to the culprit and they will send your payment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
i think it's appropriate for the store owner to take commission on what sold; that's your deal. HOWEVER, she should compensate you for your product that was stolen from her store! it's her responsibility to watch inventory - does she let people walk out with stuff as long as it isn't HER product? jesh!
After thinking about this, I totally agree.

And to have that much time to sift through and pick and choose and nobody noticing?! Baffles me.

AND who is to say it wasn't an employee that took the cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post

it's a shame we live in a world where someone would steal handmade art!
I couldn't agree more!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

First off let me say how sorry I am for you that someone took your cards that you put alot of work and time into, second I would go back to the store or have one of your friends who knows what your cards look like and see if they are there for sale again. My first thought when you said that they had been sorted through was that the owner might have gone through them and picked out the ones she like hoping that you would pull the rest from her store and then after a few weeks put them back up for sale and make the profit for herself. I guess it is my suspicious nature (I worked security for a long time), I hope this is not the case but it might be something for you to check out, if you have pictures of the cards that you put in her store that would be even better because then you would have proof if you need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

That's pretty much what I thought, too!

The cards were on commission. I guess I learned an expensive lesson, since we didn't have a written aggreement. I really didn't realize I needed one...

On the same table the cards were sitting, she had a comment book and many people had written that her prices were too high (they are high). I just wonder if someone was trying to "gouge" her back? Don't know---how does a thief think? It just seems so fishy to me. Like I posted before, the cards were sorted through and the thief choose what they wanted. They didn't just take a random handful...
you know, that's a lot for a customer in the store to get away with. can you be sure it wasn't the store owner? food for thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

It's hard for me to believe that someone could browse through your cards to pick out the ones that they wanted and then walk out with them without the owner knowing what was going on! Is the store completely unattended while she works "in the back" or something? Were your cards the only thing stolen? Either she's up to no good or has a problem with the management of her store. At least now that you know how desirable your cards are you can put them in a nearby store with a responsible owner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, that's crazy! I'm sorry to hear that. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
First off let me say how sorry I am for you that someone took your cards that you put alot of work and time into, second I would go back to the store or have one of your friends who knows what your cards look like and see if they are there for sale again. My first thought when you said that they had been sorted through was that the owner might have gone through them and picked out the ones she like hoping that you would pull the rest from her store and then after a few weeks put them back up for sale and make the profit for herself. I guess it is my suspicious nature (I worked security for a long time), I hope this is not the case but it might be something for you to check out, if you have pictures of the cards that you put in her store that would be even better because then you would have proof if you need it.
Having worked in retail, and knowing how cutthroat some small shop owners are, the same thought crossed my mind! It would not surprise me in the least to find that the owner had in fact stolen the cards herself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

The more I think about this the more I think you should file a police report.

I know it would probably be a misdemeanor even IF they found the culprit but it may be that you would be covered by the owner's insurance for your loss but they would need a police report. Given the amount I think it would be worth considering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your thoughts and responses, everyone!

I know it isn't the owner, as she and her partner were out of town on RAGBRAI. I told my husband I had a weird feeling it could be her daughter. A good share of the cards were something that would appeal to a younger person. An EXAMPLE. This card had a package of Crystal Light Pink Lemonade packaged with it. 3 of them were missing. There were also come caramel apple cards gone and a pig one that said "tickled pink". Just a weird feeling I had. She would have access to the shop after hours when nobody was around.

I would NEVER say this to the owner as I don't have proof.

I have accepted the fact that the money is gone, but I'd love to solve the mystery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have accepted the fact that the money is gone, but I'd love to solve the mystery!
I think you did! The daughter or owner would be my guess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I have some at a central location at work & just last week noticed 10 missing. I started keeping detailed account about 4 months ago when the numbers weren't adding up. The sad part is I am charging so little for them to begin with. I decided to pull them and a few loyal customers know how to reach me & will call me when they need something. I only started selling as a way to get rid of some of the ones I made-I had so many and will never use them all. So sad that someone would do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I feel for you, a lot of work gone. I sent a box of cards to a sil's sister's gift shop out of state. Never heard a word out of her. It is a big tourist town, so little did she know I had friends go by there, my cards were displayed, and a count was made. Many had been sold. I chalked it up to experience, and a lesson learned. I would file a police report in your case, if it was an 'INSIDE JOB" might make the perpertrator uneasy.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohm shoot! I didn't get that right! EXAMPLE I'll try again! I think this is appealing to the young set...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I feel for you, a lot of work gone. I sent a box of cards to a sil's sister's gift shop out of state. Never heard a word out of her. It is a big tourist town, so little did she know I had friends go by there, my cards were displayed, and a count was made. Many had been sold. I chalked it up to experience, and a lesson learned. I would file a police report in your case, if it was an 'INSIDE JOB" might make the perpertrator uneasy.

Patrice
Did you ever contact the gal? I'm sorry that this happened to you, too.

A lot of people have mentioned a police report, not sure how the owner would react? I'm just disappointed in what I see as her lack of integrity. I guess it takes all kinds... As I said before, a lesson learned...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

My first thought was "inside job" as well. The statistics on retail theft usually shows like 85-90% of the time it is employees or some sort of insider. Also with the timeframe you gave of the alleged theft, it seems like maybe someone did it after hours.

I think it would be best to have some sort of written agreement in the future or I also hear people who have the stores buy the cards from them at a "wholesale" price, then they try to re-sell them. So once u sell ur cards to the store you are done with the transaction on your end.

You may want to read a crafts business book to familiarize yourself with all the legal ends of it.

Hope you can work it out for the future!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #27  
Chat Box Chick

That really stinks. :( Sorry that happened to you.

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoa1View Post
I have some at a central location at work & just last week noticed 10 missing. I started keeping detailed account about 4 months ago when the numbers weren't adding up. The sad part is I am charging so little for them to begin with. I decided to pull them and a few loyal customers know how to reach me & will call me when they need something. I only started selling as a way to get rid of some of the ones I made-I had so many and will never use them all. So sad that someone would do that.
I also sell at work, but they stay on my floor and my co-workers are pretty trustworthy. I have had people forget to pay on occasion; I honestly do believe they forgot.

My mom also sells them for me at the bank. I had a problem awhile back with a few missing here and there. I mentioned it to a friend who also works there. I think she must have said something, because it stopped. I KNOW it wasn't her, no doubt in my mind. Anyway, she buys $30, $40, $50 and up at a time! She is my best customer!

Sorry this has happened to you to. It's a bummer that one stinker can ruin a good thing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvpaisleyView Post
My first thought was "inside job" as well. The statistics on retail theft usually shows like 85-90% of the time it is employees or some sort of insider. Also with the timeframe you gave of the alleged theft, it seems like maybe someone did it after hours.

I think it would be best to have some sort of written agreement in the future or I also hear people who have the stores buy the cards from them at a "wholesale" price, then they try to re-sell them. So once u sell ur cards to the store you are done with the transaction on your end.

You may want to read a crafts business book to familiarize yourself with all the legal ends of it.

Hope you can work it out for the future!
Thanks for the good info!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

My first thought when I read this was did you have an agreement in writing. That can cover a multitude of what ifs. I am very sorry that someone felt the need to steal from you. It still amazes me how low some people can be. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

So sorry this happened to you. It is really sad how twisted some people are. Whoever took the cards, I guess they don't get it, stealing cards so they
can give some else a card to brighten their day. Duh, that doesn't compute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #32  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CathyRoseView Post
... I guess they don't get it, stealing cards so they can give some else a card to brighten their day. Duh, that doesn't compute!
definitely BAD KARMA!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

that's terrible!
My only thought was similar to a few others.... if someone walked in there and took off with a product the owner paid for, the owner would file a police report, so why shouldn't you file one for your product missing?
With that much product missing, I would file one, but I would not mention to the owner that you think it's her or her daughter, just that it was stolen, during what time, and who was "manning" the store at the time, then the police have a place to start.
Even if the police didn't pursue it with much force, it would certainly show the owner and/or her daughter that they have done something wrong (if they don't already know that, it would be beyond me!).

On the other hand, like someone else said, what an honor your cards were "worth" wanting to steal!

If I were an owner of a retail store, I think I would have relinquished my right to commission in this case. Only because it would essentially fall on me to protect everything in that store, whether or not I was in town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx stamperView Post
that's terrible!
My only thought was similar to a few others.... if someone walked in there and took off with a product the owner paid for, the owner would file a police report, so why shouldn't you file one for your product missing?
With that much product missing, I would file one, but I would not mention to the owner that you think it's her or her daughter, just that it was stolen, during what time, and who was "manning" the store at the time, then the police have a place to start.
Even if the police didn't pursue it with much force, it would certainly show the owner and/or her daughter that they have done something wrong (if they don't already know that, it would be beyond me!).

On the other hand, like someone else said, what an honor your cards were "worth" wanting to steal!

If I were an owner of a retail store, I think I would have relinquished my right to commission in this case. Only because it would essentially fall on me to protect everything in that store, whether or not I was in town.
That's what I tried to say earlier and failed so miserably to do.

Also if the thief finds finds out it is being investigated then it might just make them think twice before doing it to someone else...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx stamperView Post
that's terrible!
My Sentiments Exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

wow. I am appalled. People never cease to surprize me...and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #37  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Definitely an inside job. I agree that it is good you pulled the cards and are not dealing with them again. I also think if you file a police report, it might make the perpetrator think twice about doing it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I am strongly thinking about the police report.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry to hear this--very upsetting. I agree with the police report. Also, I think when selling in stores like this, it's better to have the owners "buy" from you, then they can turn around and up the price to sell in the store. That way, you are never out any money as you were paid up front. I realize not all store owners want to work this way, but then you would have to make that decision on whether to work with them.

If you do file a police report, be sure to let us know what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I would file your own police report. I would think the store would have to file their own as well, especially if they will file an INSURANCE CLAIM on the stolen product! I think ou should have been paid for the stolen cards. If they are not even going to file a claim, I would be REALLY suspicious.
Reply With Quote Likes