Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone here going back to the "old school" way of doing things??

I have wanted to post this for awhile. Granted I am in my 50's, but I am getting a lot of satisfaction of going back to using methods I learned when I first started making cards and scrapbooking.

We have advanced in technology to the point it has become a bit less labor intensive and I need more to do....

Examples:

Adhesive: I love my Uhu glue stick and like how it keeps the card pieces together better than some of the adhesives out there (and I have tried nearly everything).

Punches over Nesties: Just easier to get out and use.

Hammering my eyelets: Okay, I am a little sick here. I love the banging and tools and they turn out for me much better than using my CAD.

Colored pencils: They are much easier for me to use and cheaper. Love'em!

What about you? Anything old school you might like to return to?

Thought this would be a fun read. Can't wait to see what comes this way!

Beaglelover
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I guess I never left the old school! I still do many things the simple way. I have a Cuttlebug, but no electronic machine, no Copics just colored pencils. I have a few basic shapes in Nesties, but prefer my punches for most things. It's a money factor for me. All of the newer things are great, but I'd have to stamp up a storm to justify the expense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I still love using my old plastic alphabet templates-the kind you trace backwards and then cut out by hand. I have plenty of quickutz alphabet dies, but I find the hand cutting to be very therapeutic. It brings me back to my kindergarten days I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Love my nesties, love my Copics, love my cricut! Nope, nothing "old school" for me except the color of my hair.

Now if I had not been doing so much scraping this year instead of card making I would not have purchased the Cricut. That was the major buy of the year, unless you count all the 12x12 paper and I refuse to count that......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I still prefer less expensive, but better adhering glue tape, I love my punches, and they are much, much cheaper than a machine and nesties, simply because you can get an exact few sizes and not be forced to buy loads of sizes you will never use.

I love my coloured pencils, and although I have some lovely, Copic like felt pens, they are not Copics and I think colour just as well (for much less $$$).

Many of the old ways were better because they required a little more imagination. You actually had to contribute and take the time to do it.

Like you I am in my 50's, and am a firm believer in old age and treachery will always overcome youth and technology. :p:p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

since when then being in your 50s make you OLD??? Seriously!!

I love it all. Copics, pencils, punches, nesties, every kind of adhesive they make.

But I also think it is wonderful to find your thing and go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

P. S. I was never very good at using the older products, my punches would not always work, hammering eyelet would knock (bounce) all the stuff off my counter top (it is not fastened down), I never could get the hange of those plastic coluzzle things unless you wanted the plastic cut into bits. Colored pencils looked well like pencil lines, I could not blend with them, still can't.... So I use what works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Good thread Beaglelover and oh too funny to everyone...I can see all sides of this question. I have thought for a long time the PUSH to push new products is insane! Can't we enjoy what we have purchased for at least 24 hours????? before it's off to the next thing. I want to use what I have and love going into my several years old Basic Grey papers to find just the right shade of aqua blue for my FS card today!

My latest pet peeve is all the die cuts available for the MUST have stamps which will be tomorrows' news. I mean...I love to cut out my images, sort of like playing paper dolls when I was a girl...do we really need to pay $14.99 or whatever to have it 'instantly' cut. Where is the pleasure in the doing???

Okay, I've stepped down off my soapbox...thanks for inquiring, Beaglelover!

Happy Creating the old school way....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

You know Beaglelover, I have been pondering the same thing! I definitely get frustrated sometimes with some of the "new school" tools. I love my Cricut,but gosh,sometimes it takes forever to locate,size and actually cut something. I really like punches: you can just pluck it off the shelf,punch and get on with it!

My Copics on the other hand, you will have to pry from my cold hands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah... in many ways I am old school! And as Susan so eloquently put it, can't we enjoy something for 24 hours before the next thing demands our attention!

I love punches, yes they take up room. But they are so quick. I do have a cuttlebug for my folders and so far only 1 set of nesties. But punches are so fast.

Except for adding more layers and having just more choices in stamps, colours and embellishments, I don't think I have changed too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love doing "old school" techniques with paper and ink, but as far as my tools, "high tech" all the way. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to do what I know can be done, but the tools I have won't accomplish the task. The only thing I really haven't bought as far as "the must have" tools are Nestabilities. I have a CraftRobo and make my own for the cost of scrap cardstock, so no need to spend my money on those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #12  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I am a mix of both old and new and probably always will be. I have a cuttlebug for embossing and a big shot for die cutting. I love nestabilities and am slowly increasing my collection. But I also love my increasing punch collection and have no intentions of giving them up!
I do have a hammer and eyelet setter, but they seldom see use - I love my CAD and you would have to pry it out of my hands!
I have a number of colouring mediums and am quite happy using them all! (No copics yet though.)
As for adhesive, well, I've been using double-sided tape from the time I first started stamping and I don't see that changing any time soon. Though I do have scor-tape and pop-dots for some specific uses and the red-liner tape comes out when I want to make beaded pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I have only been at this for a short time so I am not " going back" to old school techniques.

However I have been making some of my own background paper. I am not fond of much of the new SU DP patterns and can't seem to find what I want in stores .
I have mostly SU cardstock and ink so I can make background paper that matches! I understand this was popular several years ago.
I have quite a few Nesties , but I also love punches including basic shapes. If I only want to cut a circle around a greeting or image it is easier to grab a punch or two if I want to mat it .
Plus there is no Nestie the size and shape of the "Word Window" or "Modern Label" punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I have wanted to post this for awhile. Granted I am in my 50's, but I am getting a lot of satisfaction of going back to using methods I learned when I first started making cards and scrapbooking.

We have advanced in technology to the point it has become a bit less labor intensive and I need more to do....

Examples:

Adhesive: I love my Uhu glue stick and like how it keeps the card pieces together better than some of the adhesives out there (and I have tried nearly everything).

Punches over Nesties: Just easier to get out and use.

Hammering my eyelets: Okay, I am a little sick here. I love the banging and tools and they turn out for me much better than using my CAD.

Colored pencils: They are much easier for me to use and cheaper. Love'em!

What about you? Anything old school you might like to return to?

Thought this would be a fun read. Can't wait to see what comes this way!

Beaglelover

LOL! Hmmm, well, I'm only 47. *chuckle*

Actually, I never quit doing certain things old school, i.e. hand-stamping with a ruby red, wood mounted stamp. ;)

As for setting eyelets,hammer method has always worked pretty spiffy for me on the eyelets. I never did like using the CAD to set my eyelets--my eyelets would always fall off and roll away on the floor. But, it's a dang good tool for punching thru thick things!

Dry (or pressure) embossing old school was very taxing on my bum hand/arm (bad tendinitis), so I must say I sure do love that I can still get that look using embossing folders and my Big Shot. :mrgreen: Same with detail cutting by hand--dies/die cutting machines are a great help to me.

Are watercolor pencils considered old school? I dunno. But, watercoloring is still my favorite for open line images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

"Dry (or pressure) embossing old school was very taxing on my bum hand/arm (bad tendinitis), so I must say I sure do love that I can still get that look using embossing folders and my Big Shot. Same with detail cutting by hand--dies/die cutting machines are a great help to me."

Of course exceptions to peeps with physical issues, my pardon, JulieHRR!
But hopefully my tongue in cheek examples get my point across!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I love doing things the "hard" way! While I have all the gadgets and machines, etc, I still go back to the punches, and tracing things and cutting, and all that. I just work better that way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I tend to be a little slow to embrace new things, but now that I have my Cuttlebug, embossing folders, Nesties, Prismacolor markers, etc., I will never go back. I think about how I used to use those plastic templates to make round photos and matts in my scrapbooks, and how I'd sit there cutting and cutting and they ended up looking like an eight-year old cut them out, no, I'll never give up my new stuff. I also love my unmounted stamps.

However...I still love and use my punches, I set my eyelets using a hammer, and I will probably never use digital paper and images, or convert to digital scrapbooking. I enjoy my computer, but my stamping is a separate thing and I intend to keep it that way.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread! I think it's wonderful that we have so many options and can all do our own thing. I don't have a die cut machine, only a few copics I won as blog candy, and wouldn't know what to do with nestie if I had one.

I do have an old school Fiskar's Shape Cutter and a Creative memories circle and oval cutter, and use them regularly. I love my punches unnaturally, and am happiest making one-layer cards with *GASP* just ink.

I just wish people didn't feel pressured to buy...heaven knows I've bought things that afterwards I regretted because they weren't really me.

Last edited by LateBlossom; 11-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Premature posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, I just heard a Next Iron Chef competitor say there is no right or wrong in cooking. Do what means something to you, and that's what's right. So applicable to this discussion of stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I'm old school in the fact that I believe stamped artwork involves a stamp made out of rubber or polymer with ink applied to it and then pressed to paper. What's with these digital stamps? They are not stamps if you get the image off a computer. Is it just me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I'm old school as far as my love/need for rubber stamps. Call me a purist but I just haven't been able to get into the digi craze. I need to hold that stamp in my hand as it touches the ink. aaaahhh, pure bliss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I've only been rubber stamping and card making for a short while. So I really don't know what is new and what is old. I just bought a Cricut because JoAnn's had them on sale. They had to special order it, so I just got it yesterday and was setting it up and the doors won't open on it. Think I might return it and just invest in some large punches because I can't cut very straight or neatly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently pulled out my dry embossing plates - still love that look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Since I started in my 50's - old school for me is copics, I love them, cuttle bug, my first and only machine, nestibilities, pencil and ohms. I love rubber and I love rubber on wood .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't "do" old school... I've only been stamping for 4 years, but I am a gadget girl, and need to have the newest, coolest stuff, especially if it helps me streamline my projects and bump them up to the next level. (not saying that new things are better, I just like having current product). There are some things, though, that I have kept around: Cuttlebug instead of Bigshot, the old MM Slice (i will NOT buy the new Elite...), loose glitter, stickles, embossing powder, pencils with OMS.. stuff like that still has a spot in my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love all of my Spellbinders and my CB embossing folders. I use one or both on most everything I make. I can say I do not do digital stamping. It just does not interest me. So not so old school for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no Nesties, no cuttlebug,etc I do have the old red Sizzix sitting gathering dust. Seldom use eyelets or brads. Pencil crayons work just fine, punches are great! Still use stickers too
Interesting thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I had to chuckle when I saw your thread. I am 47 and am probably more old school than new.

I've been wanting a die cutting machine for while....have decided to go with a non-electric one. I just don't want the hassle of something like the cricut.

I love all the technology available to us and love that we have the option to use it or not.

I love punches and will probably add a few nesties to my collection too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I like my Wizard which I was given, but like Late Blossom I also still sometimes use my Fiskars ShapeCutter - not in any hurry to get rid of that. I like the embossing folders in it, but I still use my ShapeBoss too .
Never moved up to Copics, still happy with watercolour pencils, H2Os and regular old-fashioned pan watercolours.
Haven't really got into digis even though that would be a return to my roots when many of cards were produced in CorelDraw. Without a laser printer they're not easy for me to colour, so I'm with old-fashioned stamps.
And whenever I wonder about putting some of my punches in a FreeCycle set-aside, it's hard to find ones I don't use.
So I am a mix, but not much cutting-edge stuff here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I only bought a light box a year ago! I already had my cuttlebug but I love the feel of dry embossing by hand. It's so relaxing. I don't do it a lot but I'll keep my stencils around for that.

I only have one set of nesties and plan to just get a few more. I don't really want lots and lots because I love the ease of punches. I do love punches that match stamps, so I'm kind of drawn in by the dies also!

I love stamping with stamps and ink too much to go to digi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

Great thread! I do old school techniques with new colors and designs. Right now. I've gone back to some old materials I found to use them up -- foils, leaf, mica, sea glass, Pearl Ex. I even dug out some ancient Christmas stamps to make some quick cards for a charity craft sale. I don't do old school, either, I am old school!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a bit of a mix. If I could afford it, I would buy all the latest and greatest, but right now most is out of my price range. I'll be using my punches and hand cranked Big Shot and colored pencils for the time being. And you know what? I don't really feel like I'm missing out. I use 10% of my stuff for 90% of my paper crafts. The rest is taking up space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by One4JoyView Post
Good thread Beaglelover and oh too funny to everyone...I can see all sides of this question. I have thought for a long time the PUSH to push new products is insane! Can't we enjoy what we have purchased for at least 24 hours????? before it's off to the next thing. I want to use what I have and love going into my several years old Basic Grey papers to find just the right shade of aqua blue for my FS card today!

My latest pet peeve is all the die cuts available for the MUST have stamps which will be tomorrows' news. I mean...I love to cut out my images, sort of like playing paper dolls when I was a girl...do we really need to pay $14.99 or whatever to have it 'instantly' cut. Where is the pleasure in the doing???

Okay, I've stepped down off my soapbox...thanks for inquiring, Beaglelover!

Happy Creating the old school way....
I am with you on this one! I would rather take the time to cut things out and spend my money on other things.

As far as "old school", I have been using my old and *gasp* out of date stamps. They really aren't out of style, just older sets. I love using my punches, especially the new SU style, but the nesties do come in handy for larger sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathnanView Post
I'm old school in the fact that I believe stamped artwork involves a stamp made out of rubber or polymer with ink applied to it and then pressed to paper. What's with these digital stamps? They are not stamps if you get the image off a computer. Is it just me?
No, its most definitely not just you. I thought it was just me, lol.It feels 'wrong' to me, thats all. I can't class it as stamping, sorry. Its just downloading a picture & colouring it in. Nothing wrong with that, really, its just NOT stamping,its printing. And I agree that craft tools are getting silly- you buy something, and its been superseded before you get it home, and its almost obsolete by the end of the week.I vary between modern & old school, depending on cost, likeliness of use,and frankly, whether I think I am being ripped off or not! I bought a Silhouette, because that was cost effective- cuts shapes,letters/numbers etc- no more dies to buy.I have a 'Bug, again good value for the result, and I actually use my brass stencils far more now, then when I had to do it all by hand. Working fulltime gives me serious time constraints, so if something will help me time wise, then ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettyjoanesView Post
no Nesties, no cuttlebug,etc I do have the old red Sizzix sitting gathering dust. Seldom use eyelets or brads. Pencil crayons work just fine, punches are great! Still use stickers too
Interesting thread!
Re your old Red Sizzix, if you have the magnetic adapter plate, do you know that you can use Cuttlebug folders in it? And if you trial & error it, you can also use brass stencils in it. There is a thread on here somewhere with loads of sandwich recipes for all these machines. I used to use them in mine, I upped to a 'Bug because the Fiskars plates will fit it, but not a Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by One4JoyView Post
"Dry (or pressure) embossing old school was very taxing on my bum hand/arm (bad tendinitis), so I must say I sure do love that I can still get that look using embossing folders and my Big Shot. Same with detail cutting by hand--dies/die cutting machines are a great help to me."

Of course exceptions to peeps with physical issues, my pardon, JulieHRR!
But hopefully my tongue in cheek examples get my point across!!!
Not at all! I'm a cheeky chick m'self! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I am old school...yes, I have a Big Shot and many embossing folders...but oh, how I love to sit down with my brass stencils and a stylus and hand emboss!!!!

Yes, the digi stamps are cute, but so are coloring books! Give me rubber and ink!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I have wanted to post this for awhile. Granted I am in my 50's, but I am getting a lot of satisfaction of going back to using methods I learned when I first started making cards and scrapbooking. Yeah, I'm 57 in 10 days. I like many of the "old school" techniques too.

Examples:

Adhesive: I love my Uhu glue stick and like how it keeps the card pieces together better than some of the adhesives out there (and I have tried nearly everything). I LOVE Uhu purple glue stick! I use it especially for gluing down large sheets of paper when I'm making journals. It just works better and costs a whole lot less than the runner adhesives.

Punches over Nesties: Just easier to get out and use. I love my Sizzix and the different dies, embossing folders, etc. However, I have several different sets of Nesties and haven't figured out how to use them with my Sizzix. Punches are GREAT and some coordinate with my Sizzix.

Hammering my eyelets: Okay, I am a little sick here. I love the banging and tools and they turn out for me much better than using my CAD. It all depends on the brad. I couldn't get some star brads to work with the hammer technique so had to use the big crimper thing (forgot the name).

Colored pencils: They are much easier for me to use and cheaper. Love'em!Love, love, love my water color pencils! Gives a much prettier look than markers.

Beaglelover
You might say that my card-making style is a little old fashioned too. I like to stick to the basics of ink, paper/CS, and a limited amount of embellishments. My style is simple. I can't seem to pull together some of the elaborate designs that others come up with. I am not much into digital card making, although I do have the Stampin' Up! My Digital Studio software. This software is SOOOO easy to use and I've made a couple of photo albums as gifts (very well recieved). Digital photo albums are very fast for me, it takes me a long time to do it with paper. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Got to thinkin' on this last night, and chuckling.

There is no doubt I get excited over new toys/products--I love that the industry is always seeking to improve and innovate! But, I don't jump on the bandwagons as they roll by because not everything new necessarily improves or innovates the art and craft of stamping, UKWIM?

I will admit I'm easy to please, but hard to impress. ;)

I usually contemplate them for awhile, research them, and if it looks like they will be something I will use frequently, are versatile, and ease up a task that I really like doing but is otherwise difficult for me to do manually, it will come home to live with me.

So, I guess the one and singular "old school" way of doing things that will always remain a constant for me, is stamping by hand. There is something about the process of inking up a stamp, and impressing an image by hand, that simply makes me feel utterly, supremely, and undeniably HAPPY. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

So, I guess the one and singular "old school" way of doing things that will always remain a constant for me, is stamping by hand. There is something about the process of inking up a stamp, and impressing an image by hand, that simply makes me feel utterly, supremely, and undeniably HAPPY. :mrgreen:
Amen, Sister!
Reply With Quote Likes