Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone part of a SU group where you all take turns being hostess?

Our group is over and we are trying to decide what to do next.

I was thinking about it last night and realized what a crock it has been, kind of.

We get together once a month and pay dues. Even if we are hostess we pay our dues. Then when it is our turn we get dues x members and have that much to spend.

Here's what I don't understand, the consultant gets an order out of us almost evertime. So she makes money each time we meet.

So, what do we get as members for being part of the club? We get a chance to be hostess and earn free product but are there any other benefits? Not that I can see. We pay dues and we get that right back when it is our turn so there isn't anything extra there.

So the consultant is really getting the most out of this club.

What would be some other options for us to explore as a club so that we all get something and it would be more benificial to everyone?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a little confused by your club description but I can tell you there are many kids of clubs - marker clubs (each month you pay for one color family of markers) and the demo orders the whole set, so by the end you each earn the case for the markers (as if you had bought the entire set at once). Same kind of club for ink pads classic or craft.

Mostly it sounds like you need to talk to your demo about what your wants and needs are as customers.

I never heard the word "dues" before - I have heard club members must place a minimum order (dollar amount) each time the club meets and every member rotates as hostess.

I have a print out somewhere of club types. I can look for it and get back to you - tomorrow though!

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was in one of these clubs and I loved it. I would have made the purchases anyways so what I got out of it was a free hostess set and free product when it was my turn! I'm not sure what you mean when you say "dues"? Do you mean the set amount that need to spend a month?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, so this may be totally differerent, but let me tell you about my group of card making/ scrapping friends. We try to get together once a month at a different person's home each time. We usually do food potluck style. There are no dues. One of our members is a demo. If anyone wants to order they place an order, if they don't, no pressure. I hosted last month and 3 people including me placed orders (mine was the bulk of the order). The hostess benefits went to me (even though it wasn't really officially an SU party). I did try to give some of the benefits to the other person with a big order, but she said no you choose, I'll borrow from you...
We've done different things with the meetings. We used to do a card swap where there was a "theme" such as spring or try a new technique, etc. This last time we did a mini stamp a stack where each person demonstrated how to make a particular card.
For my group the best part is just getting together. Our demo comes as a member and doesn't expect a sale (but is more than happy to take orders if anyone wants anything).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Dues = $$$ We each pay about $20 at each party we attend. If there are 10 members then for 10 parties we each pay $20 (regardless of if we ordered anything or not).
Then each hostess gets to spend at her party $20 x 10 which would be $200.

Does that make sense? Then after we go through each member we will start over.

But in essense we are spending our own money. We pay our dues each month and just get it back when it is our turn. So there isn't anything extra, it is just what we have paid into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

In the group I'm in, we pay a $5 workshop fee to the demo to help cover the expenses of our projects and her supplies but otherwise, just have to meet the minimum spending requirement (which most everyone surpasses) each month. We all take turns being the hostess, which I know for me, has resulted in a LOT of free product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflake
Dues = $$$ We each pay about $20 at each party we attend. If there are 10 members then for 10 parties we each pay $20 (regardless of if we ordered anything or not).
Then each hostess gets to spend at her party $20 x 10 which would be $200.

Does that make sense? Then after we go through each member we will start over.

But in essense we are spending our own money. We pay our dues each month and just get it back when it is our turn. So there isn't anything extra, it is just what we have paid into it.
oh that is kind of funny...we don't pay like that. We had 6 people for 6mths get together and agree to spend $40cnd a month and each of us took a turn being the hostess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never heard of a club like that either..sounds like not such a good deal...

we did $15/month for 10 months. EAch month one person would be the hostess...but that $15 was the minimum order that each person had to place for the hostess to get her benefit..so everyone got something...and if it was your month to hostess...then you got the hostess sets and credits...

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

At your club meeting, does the SU rep provide you with any consumables? paper, ink embellishments to use on a card? Do you make cards? if you get nothing but the joy of being with her for $20 then i would say time to join a different club!!!
I went to a 'stamp camp' monthly and I did have to pay $5 but she opened up her total SU inventory for me to use, unlimited paper, embellishments, etc for the night.
Club i just joined is $25 order a month, which to me is reasonable.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather_M
oh that is kind of funny...we don't pay like that. We had 6 people for 6mths get together and agree to spend $40cnd a month and each of us took a turn being the hostess.

I'm in the same thing as Heather. We get together once a month, agree to spend a minimum of $40 (or whatever amount/person to give the hostess the minimum benfit), and then we each take a turn as being hostess.

At each class, we make at least two items, be it cards or some other crafty item, which the demonstrator provides all the materials for. We always go to the demonstrator's house for this, but whoever is the hostess has to provide the refreshments. Also, if you are the hostess, you are allowed to bring a friend or two as well to try to add to your sales.

Most often than not, people spend more than $40. My class had sales over $600, so I was pretty happy with that!!! We usually do this from September to May (depending on how many people are in the group), and we take a break for the summer.

So in essence, it's like attending a Stampin' Up party every month. Seems like quite a committment, even if you can't attend, you are required to purchase, but if you can work it into your budget, it's great! Sometimes it's hard just to spend the minimum......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

How funny...I heard about a club like this a few weeks ago from a new friend here on SCS. Basically they get together, make some projects, pay their $15 or $20 each, and then that month's "hostess" gets to spend all that money on an order for herself. The biggest difference here is that instead of participants spending their small minimum, like $15 or $20 on product for themselves each month, when it's their turn to spend the pot they get to put in a HUGE order, probably with higher hostess benefits than they might otherwise get.

I am just not a trusting enough person, sadly. At least with a "normal" hostess club, I'm getting something with every monthly minimum spent. If the club were to totally disband overnight, I'd still have something to show for the money I'd spent. Quite a different story if I'd pitched in $20 a month for 8 months waiting my turn, and then something happened to end the group. I have NOTHING to show for the $160 I'd spent!

As for the demo and why should she get something out of it...well, why not? In theory, she's facilitating the get together, hopefully teaching the group new ideas and techniques, and putting in the orders for everybody. I don't have a problem with this (of course, I'm a demo, lol!!). I think I'd just want a different sort of system for the party, like I described above.

Still, that doesn't mean anything negative about your demo...this may just be something she's learned from her upline. It's up to you if you want to join that type of club. Now that the current rotation is over, why don't you bring up the possibility of a change? I imagine she'd be open to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

What do you mean by dues??? I pay a minumim of $22.00 a month which is apply to my order. My demo is KIND as she holds each months meeting at her house. Hostess of the month supplies the snacks, or dessert. We make 2 different cards & use the demos supplies. My demo all so gives a 10 % discount on the complete set (4 of markers at any time. She all so give a 10% discount on all items used in that night stamping. EVEN on the stamps sets! Now I think that is pretty Awesome! And demos only get 20 % on the show. So with the small group I am in a $200.00 only nets her $40.00 which she in turns orders more supplie for next months meeting. So my demo really does not make out on these stamp clubs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I'm in the club where we spend $25 a month. I would rather that so that you don't have to wait a whole year for your order if you do not want to go above the $25. (Like that ever happens) Also there would be a little less concern of people backing out before their month was up.
My demo does provide supplies and puts together a project to make at no extra cost. This may not be the norm. She also does the same classes we do at a charge. Because we are in the group, we get it for free.
Most of the rewards for purchases for these type clubs go to the hostess. The demo gets their normal sales commission for the orders but she also had not been compensated for her time and money for the supplies. They get no extra.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell_scraps
I've never heard of a club like that either..sounds like not such a good deal...

we did $15/month for 10 months. EAch month one person would be the hostess...but that $15 was the minimum order that each person had to place for the hostess to get her benefit..so everyone got something...and if it was your month to hostess...then you got the hostess sets and credits...
This is the club I just signed up for. We got a free catalog, we spend $15 per month for 10 months. Each person gets to be the hostess once during the cycle. If it is your month - you can have a party/workshop/catalog party and try to get more orders to get more benefits. We also get to attend all of our demo's technique classes for free (she charges everyone else $5).

I don't really understand the "dues" part. For any money you are spending - you should be getting product OR attending a class where you learn techniques and make things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default Stamp Clubs

I am a demo and I resent the fact that you think you aren't getting anything. With your dues you get the opportunity to splurge on stamp stuff when it's your chance. You also get all of the free stamps and merchandise credit for party sales. If you think you are getting ripped off, then quit and buy SU from someone else every month and get no extra benefits for spending $200 anyway, if you spent $20/mo for 10 mo. Not to mention, no projects.

I hate how customers think they are getting screwed. The demo for your group paid fair and square for her sales kit, and supplies she provides for your group. What does she get?? Help making her quarterly sales quota and a measley 20% commissions that most often barely cover her expenses.

I've got another idea... you should buy a starter kit and se how hard it is to establish customers and how much you actually make for your effort.

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Well I did a "virtual" stamp club for a couple of years where we all agreed to spend $15/mo and took turns being the hostess. I don't know about all the other members, but I sent the demo my order via email, paid with a cc, she got the order and mailed it out to me. There was nothing more than that. No meeting, no classes, just catalogs and the chance to order once a month.

On my part I wouldn't join a group where I spend $20 a month, even if they call it dues, and have to wait for 9 months before I have anythng to show for it. I kind of liked the club I was in. The only reason I didn't participate this year is I thought I was moving this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmnett
I am a demo and I resent the fact that you think you aren't getting anything. With your dues you get the opportunity to splurge on stamp stuff when it's your chance. You also get all of the free stamps and merchandise credit for party sales. If you think you are getting ripped off, then quit and buy SU from someone else every month and get no extra benefits for spending $200 anyway, if you spent $20/mo for 10 mo. Not to mention, no projects.

I hate how customers think they are getting screwed. The demo for your group paid fair and square for her sales kit, and supplies she provides for your group. What does she get?? Help making her quarterly sales quota and a measley 20% commissions that most often barely cover her expenses.

I've got another idea... you should buy a starter kit and se how hard it is to establish customers and how much you actually make for your effort.
You seem kind of emotional about this subhect. I think the original poster was just wondering what other people have experiences in terms of groups and obviously there is a wide variety. This way the OP now knows that different demos may do different things and she can look for a group that might suit her needs better.

No one is trying to put down her demo. And she isn't saying she got screwed. She is looking for options. And the customers do not have a say in how much discount the demo gets - that comes from SU. If you think you aren't making enough - join another direct sales company.

Yes - customers are hard to come by - they are also hard to keep with certain areas being saturated with SU demos. As a customer, I think everyone can shop around and find a demo best suited for her needs.

I truly feel the pay $20 per month but you only get product one month out of 10 is strange. What would happen to that person if she had month 10 and by then 5 people had dropped out? I doubt the demo would cover the other $100.

Just my two cents.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sure there are many ways to run a monthly club. The way the original poster described hers wouldn't be the one I chose to participate in. But it still has its benefits.... one very large order... but I would have withdrawal if I didn't order during the months I wasn't hostess. I would much rather just order every month without dues and just earn the hostess benefits when it was my month. Of coarse, I'm a demo now, so I'm not in a club anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenneth
Just my two cents.
Thanks for your post, Glenneth. I was a bit concerned about how hostile that post sounded.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What would be some other options for us to explore as a club so that we all get something and it would be more benificial to everyone?
Getting back to the OP's question.

I think the club I belong to is a good option for your club to explore.
There are 12 'members'..... most of us meet at our Demo's house the 4th Friday of each month. (some girls prefer to just order and not come for the stamping) All of us must spend a minimum of $15 ON S/U products (no 'dues'). Each of us gets the chance to reap the benefits of 'hostess'. In the past, we have tried to do the "someone bring snacks" thing.... but that didn't last. We find we yack too much and don't 'need' them We DO go out for ice cream a lot of times after the stamping! :mrgreen:

Now.... what do I get out of it? I get one night a month that I look SO forward to..... to spend with friends that I have grown to love! We laugh, we stamp, we enjoy each other's company, we do one fun project, and two weeks after that, I get my NEW S/U goodies to PLAY with! I will say, we wish we did two projects, but no one has wanted to ask the Demo about it.... we're working on that! :rolleyes:

I tell you what else I get out of it.....
July was my month..... I had a $550.00 party and got:
2 level 1 hostess sets
1 level 2 hostess set

The Paisley B/G Stamp
Blossoms Abound Set
Petal Pushers Set

Six FREE stamp sets.... I'm all for that!!

I hope you can work something out.... and turn your club into something FUN!

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

forgot to mention.... yes, we get our catalogs for free too.

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 166 Likes on 142 Posts

My demo does things a little differently. She doesn't have any clubs, but she holds 2 stamp camps a month on the 3rd & 4th Fridays. She charges $10.00, supplies snacks and drinks and we make 3-4 projects. There is no pressure to order but anyone who places a minimum $25.00 order gets their name put in a drawing to be the mystery hostess and gets all the hostess benefits. I like this way of doing it because there is no pressure each month to spend a certain amount. There are some months I just can't afford to buy anything and other months where I can spend way over the minimum. This seems to work for a lot of us because she is running out of room in her home now and has started using a local community room for some of her stamp camps! She's an awesome demo that really cares about her customers and just loves to share her love of stamping. But her enthusiasm and motivation just makes us want to buy more, more, more!!

Kathi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheStampsHeCamps
Getting back to the OP's question.

I think the club I belong to is a good option for your club to explore.
There are 12 'members'..... most of us meet at our Demo's house the 4th Friday of each month. (some girls prefer to just order and not come for the stamping) All of us must spend a minimum of $15 ON S/U products (no 'dues'). Each of us gets the chance to reap the benefits of 'hostess'. In the past, we have tried to do the "someone bring snacks" thing.... but that didn't last. We find we yack too much and don't 'need' them We DO go out for ice cream a lot of times after the stamping! :mrgreen:

Now.... what do I get out of it? I get one night a month that I look SO forward to..... to spend with friends that I have grown to love! We laugh, we stamp, we enjoy each other's company, we do one fun project, and two weeks after that, I get my NEW S/U goodies to PLAY with! I will say, we wish we did two projects, but no one has wanted to ask the Demo about it.... we're working on that! :rolleyes:
This is what I usually think of when someone talks about doing a club. Never heard of doing it with monthly dues and the hostess spending the money for her own order.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheStampsHeCamps
forgot to mention.... yes, we get our catalogs for free too.
Forgot to say I get my catty for free too!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up It's a piggy bank

Quote:

......We each pay about $20 at each party we attend. .......Then each hostess gets to spend at her party $20 x 10 which would be $200.
.....in essense we are spending our own money.
Yup!! I was in that kind of club. Loved it. $15 per month for 10 months. It's like having a savings account or piggy bank just for Stampin' Up stuff.
Why I like it....
* If I went to a "regular" Stampin' Up party each month and spent $15, I would never be able to get the bigger sets that are priced at say, $18 to $28.
* I would not be able to get the hostess sets if there were not enough orders when I held a party.
* Without the club, I probably would not put the $15 away in a safe place every month for 10 months.

Other info.......
* Our demo/leader provided a "make 'n take" card each time, so I learned 10 new techniques or sketches.
* Also, she provided a little monthly "door prize" - small Stampin' Up accessories. Each person who brought a card for "show and tell" had the right to enter the drawing.
* Because in some months Stampin' Up gives special hostess gifts, we all put our names in a hat and held a drawing for who would be "hostess" during each month. No hurt feelings.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

I'm confused as to why you think the consultant is getting more out of the club than you are? Your yearly "dues" are $200... when it is your turn, you get $200 in product, plus all the hostess benefits for an order that size. You are getting everything you are entitled to. She is getting her commission as she would on any other sale, and nothing extra.

I personally wouldn't join this kind of club because I couldn't wait all year for my turn to order, but I do see why some people would.

But I think the club members are getting exactly out of it what they signed up for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

You gave your two cents but too bad it was in direct retalliation to mine. We are all entitled to our opinion and the vibe I got from the OP is that she feels taken advantage of. What I am saying it that it is the demo is entitled to running her business a certain way and if that's how she plays it, the OP agreed to the terms. I do not run my stamp clubs that way either, but what I would also like to point out is that it is her business and she shouldn't be subject to ridicule over it. I am not *emotional* about stamp camps or how people run/participate in clubs, but I do feel strongly about personal choice. I want this person to know that there is absolutely nothing wrong or dishonest about what the demo does.

By the same tolken, it keeps people honest. My groups are $15 each mo for product. Some parties will come in with orders much higher than the minimum and others come in right at $150 without the hostesses order. Then that person feels cheated because she has spent much more throughout the year. I can see value in alternative setups, because this club keeps things at $200. Then there is no animocity between the members.

Just *my two cents*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenneth
You seem kind of emotional about this subhect. I think the original poster was just wondering what other people have experiences in terms of groups and obviously there is a wide variety. This way the OP now knows that different demos may do different things and she can look for a group that might suit her needs better.

No one is trying to put down her demo. And she isn't saying she got screwed. She is looking for options. And the customers do not have a say in how much discount the demo gets - that comes from SU. If you think you aren't making enough - join another direct sales company.

Yes - customers are hard to come by - they are also hard to keep with certain areas being saturated with SU demos. As a customer, I think everyone can shop around and find a demo best suited for her needs.

I truly feel the pay $20 per month but you only get product one month out of 10 is strange. What would happen to that person if she had month 10 and by then 5 people had dropped out? I doubt the demo would cover the other $100.

Just my two cents.

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Way to go, exactly what I was thinking conveyed with much more tact!

Robin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
I'm confused as to why you think the consultant is getting more out of the club than you are? Your yearly "dues" are $200... when it is your turn, you get $200 in product, plus all the hostess benefits for an order that size. You are getting everything you are entitled to. She is getting her commission as she would on any other sale, and nothing extra.

I personally wouldn't join this kind of club because I couldn't wait all year for my turn to order, but I do see why some people would.

But I think the club members are getting exactly out of it what they signed up for.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I am a demo
I hate how customers think they are getting screwed.
I don't think anyone was saying this, including the original poster. I think she was just looking for some feedback on what a "typical" stampclub set up might look like. In addition, since you are a demo I would think you would want people to understand what goes into running these type of groups so they could understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I should have also said that my best friend is a SU demo-and I am in her stamp club-so I know she works hard to think of cool techniques to teach us and shares her supplies and time. I absolutely don't begrudge her any commission or benefits-it is her business after all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I belong to a "Stampers 10 Club". We get a free catalog for joining the club. I have the option to join in monthly swaps with the other club members or not. We all agree to a certain dollar amount that we each spend on product monthly. Each month one club member is the hostess. She gets the benefits of the orders from the club. She also gets to bring the treats for the night. Our demo also provides 2 projects for us to do. It is a great night out for stamping. As I believe it was Garnet said - I like the fact that I get hostess benefits and earn hostess sets from this club. My demo deserves whatever she makes from the class, and she even participates in the swaps. We have a great night of stamping and laughing and fun! I hope the OP finds a stamp club more to her liking. Stamping is just too fun! OH - I almost forgot - we have the option to have the get together at our home or at our demo's house. Only once has one member had it at her home (They had just finished building, and she wanted to show us her beautiful home.).
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I've never run a club and never been in one. But it sounds like you spend a little at a time (sort of like putting money into a bank) and it gets saved for your hostess time. So then you get all the benefits and all the product in one shot. Your demo may make a little each time with the $200 order but I'm guessing she's the one providing the supplies each time? She probably isn't making much if this is the case.
You might want to talk with your demo about changing the "rules" so each time you spend your $20 you place an order with that not just put it into the pot for later. The hostess would still get hostess benefits, the demo still makes her quotas and hopefully makes a little for her time and materials, and each time you'd go home with product as well as your make and takes. This way your not waiting 10 months for your $200 hostess benefits and all the stamps and product that goes with it. You'd get a little all along and just the other hostess benefits later on when you host. Just an idea.

My Blog: http://jenspaperobsession.blogspot.com/

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

My SU demo is very generous. There are 10 of us that meet once a month, at her house. We each commit to placing an order of at least $15 a month. She draws names at the begining of the club to pick who gets what month. You are the hostess for the month your name is picked for and you get all the hostess benefits that month. The Hostess each month picks the date, brings the snacks, can bring outside orders, and can invite other guests to come too. AND are you ready for this !!!!............ We each get to make 10 full cards!!!!!! All materials privided by our very generous Demo!! :mrgreen: We bring a basic stamping kit, black pad, scissors, adhesive... but she provides 10 cards already cut & ready to be stamped and assembled. We have a great time chatting, snacking and stamping. I so look forward to getting out and actually stamping!!! Seems I do more "collecting" than stamping!.:rolleyes: I don't think a single party has been under $300.
But I understand what rmnett is saying too --- "The demo for your group paid fair and square for her sales kit, and supplies she provides for your group. What does she get?? Help making her quarterly sales quota and a measley 20% commissions that most often barely cover her expenses." AND "Some parties will come in with orders much higher than the minimum and others come in right at $150 without the hostesses order. Then that person feels cheated because she has spent much more throughout the year. I can see value in alternative setups, because this club keeps things at $200. Then there is no animocity between the members" ---
I have been lucky and truely blessed :mrgreen: First with my awesome Demo and second with my great stamping buddies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I also belong to a Stampers 10. This is about my 4th time participating in one. There are 10 members, we meet once a month for 10 months, and
agree to purchase a minimum of $15. Everyone gets a turn being hostess and getting benefits. My last time as hostess I earned enough to get paper and ink pads to make my Christmas cards (I make 100+). At each meeting we make 3 or 4 projects, usually featuring a product or technique requested by that month's hostess. What do I get out of it? A night out doing my own thing that no one in my family shares, friends, creativity, and the chance to learn something new. By the way, if my demo, Jennifer C., ever runs across this post: You are the BEST!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Glenneth, that is exactly what I was doing, just trying to get other ideas.

I love my demo and she does an awesome job although she is a bit disorganized she does an awesome job and I want to support her. She is awesome.

I just want different ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

........although she is a bit disorganized ......
LOL, you could be describing me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

So lets say that the ladies in the group wanted to take turns sharring new ideas instead of the demo. Any ideas how we would do something like that? And the parties are always at the hosts home with snack provided by the host.

If we did our one craft to teach and share with the group, maybe we would give the demo the instructions so she can cut paper etc. But the hostess would do the rest of the work.
So how could me make that work so it would be fair to both ladies?

I really appreciate all of the ideas thrown out! We will have a discussion at our next meeting to figure it all out.

One problem we currently have is that no new people can join or else it messes up the dues and then we have to go another month to fit them in. Another problem was that at the end of the last catalog the hostess wanted several items off the retiring list and apparently they were sold out - not sure that is true but she waited all this time and then couldn't get them.
Another problem was that some ladies could not afford to pay dues and order so that hostess would loose out on sales because others couldn't order which kind of stinks. So they leave empty handed, paid their dues but no product.

Thanks for all your views and ideas it has helped a ton!
Sunny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

.....Another problem was that some ladies could not afford to pay dues and order so that hostess would loose out on sales because others couldn't order which kind of stinks. So they leave empty handed, paid their dues but no product. .....Sunny
I am confused about who was "left empty handed." If you did not pay every month, you should still get to order as much product as the amount you put in. If you only put in $100 instead of $200, then you should still get to purchase $100 worth from the catalog.
Also... make sure that everyone is truly committed to paying each time before they join the club. It won't work if some people just join 'cause it sounds like fun.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by joanned72
I'm in the same thing as Heather. We get together once a month, agree to spend a minimum of $40 (or whatever amount/person to give the hostess the minimum benfit), and then we each take a turn as being hostess.

At each class, we make at least two items, be it cards or some other crafty item, which the demonstrator provides all the materials for. We always go to the demonstrator's house for this, but whoever is the hostess has to provide the refreshments. Also, if you are the hostess, you are allowed to bring a friend or two as well to try to add to your sales.

Most often than not, people spend more than $40. My class had sales over $600, so I was pretty happy with that!!! We usually do this from September to May (depending on how many people are in the group), and we take a break for the summer.

So in essence, it's like attending a Stampin' Up party every month. Seems like quite a committment, even if you can't attend, you are required to purchase, but if you can work it into your budget, it's great! Sometimes it's hard just to spend the minimum......
I am in a great club like mentioned above. We make 3 projects every month. We have a minimum but most usally go over that. Also, you can order for your own month to raise your sales. I would have bought the stuff anyway.
Good luck you need a different club
Reply With Quote Likes