Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the response to the check writer should have been another handmade card thanking them for their kind donation - with "Oh I didn't realize you were an off the peg person and didn't like couture." Someone that values money over time would definitely get it! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #82  
Duchess of CBCs

People like that are why I find it so hard to part with the cards I've made. I put so much of myself into them, that I hate to think of the recipient sneering or jeering.

I do keep making cards though. There are some people that I know appreciate them. It cuts down on my Christmas card list too. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #84  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think the response to the check writer should have been another handmade card thanking them for their kind donation - with "Oh I didn't realize you were an off the peg person and didn't like couture." Someone that values money over time would definitely get it! ;)
That is exactly what I would have done! What an ignoramus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #85  
Matboard Maniac

My mother describes store bought cards as "proper cards".I love my hobbie and continue to do it (much to my mothers disgust apparently I am wasting money and time and should be resting more,I am fit and healthy but Mum loves a good rest and I am a happier person then my mum and that says it all.
Junnee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #86  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
My husband read it to me this morning. I can not believe how rude some people are. Unlike Abby, I would have spent the money she sent me and wrote out a thank you note telling her I bought some more paper or whatever with it. That would be the last card she ever got from me.
ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!

Too funny! I, too, would have spent the money...however, I would have sent a STAMP SET to her for her CHRISTMAS GIFT! LOL;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #87  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunneeView Post
My mother describes store bought cards as "proper cards".I love my hobbie and continue to do it (much to my mothers disgust apparently I am wasting money and time and should be resting more,I am fit and healthy but Mum loves a good rest and I am a happier person then my mum and that says it all.
Junnee
My mother worked for Hallmark. She would say, "Our cards are the very best...unless you count Handcrafted cards...those are the ULTIMATE gift. They are part of the artist who crafted them!"

Wasn't she an angel? *Insert a heavy sigh here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #88  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
My mother worked for Hallmark. She would say, "Our cards are the very best...unless you count Handcrafted cards...those are the ULTIMATE gift. They are part of the artist who crafted them!"

Wasn't she an angel? *Insert a heavy sigh here.
Definate angel there!

I wonder if the person who wrote to Dear Abby associates handmade cards with recycling used cards? I remember people years ago used to cut out things from cards they received and made their own cards for the following year. It was more to save money than being creative, but I wouldn't have uttered a bad word even then. It still takes time to do that. We have mailboxes at church and some people sign a card and don't even address the front so they can just pop one in any box they feel like...that to me is not personal like a handmade card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Dear Abby letter broke my heart. The chick that sent the check sure has a lot of *all* to send something so hurtful. But count me as one who would use the money to buy more stamps...and send a handstamped thank you for the money that was used to buy more stamps...and then cross her off the mailing list.

I do have to admit...the same day that was in the paper, I received a Christmas card from my husband's godparents. In her letter, she said how much she was looking forward to our card and "that there's a lot of love in your handmade cards." And, I have several other friends and relatives that have told me how much they enjoy my Christmas cards...and are just totally amazed by the cool things I can do with paper and ink. So...there ARE people that get it

Blessings of the season!
JJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #90  
Crimping Master

I would send the lady her money back with a pic of the GRINCH on it and leave the card blank so she could come to her own conclusions to what you meant by sending it....how nasty of her shame on her..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #91  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilroyView Post
My husband read it to me this morning. I can not believe how rude some people are. Unlike Abby, I would have spent the money she sent me and wrote out a thank you note telling her I bought some more paper or whatever with it. That would be the last card she ever got from me.
I was thinking the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also sent a response to Dear Abby. How sad that anyone would chose to crush a little one's spirit in that way! I would never share such unkindness with a child! I have handmade ornaments that I have over the years received from children who have been clients. They are not all masterful works of art, but they are touching tributes from the heart and I get a warm glow everytime I hang one up! I think the relative needs to be called on her rude behavior.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #93  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
Maybe you should invite your friends/relatives that don't appreciate handmade cards over for a card-making night. I know mine liked my cards before, but after seeing all the supplies and work it takes to make one, they really appreciate it now!

Anne
What an EXCELLENT idea! My MIL never dissed my cards and always seemed to appreciate them, but after she tried making some with me, she commented on how much work and practice goes into them. She now makes more of a point to express her appreciation. But then, she sews and quilts, so appreciating hand-made is well-ingrained in her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

As I stated above, I would have definitely cashed the check. I may have bought more supplies, but then every time I would look at them, I would think of her and it would have made me mad! I would probably just have given the $10 to my church or some other charity and then sent her a letter telling her what I did! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #95  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberfiteView Post
I would send the lady her money back with a pic of the GRINCH on it and leave the card blank so she could come to her own conclusions to what you meant by sending it....how nasty of her shame on her..
This made me chuckle because I made a card (it's in my gallery) with a Grinch on it. Hubby asked me why I made it and who would I send it to....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #96  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had one person call me "cheap" for making cards...Never sent them another one..I get many compliments and have a large demand here at my office that I sell. One man loves them so much instead of giving me $5 a card, he said I under value my self and pays $10. My point is, do what you love and it will bring joy to others..I know many service men love to get them, as to the elderly shut ins, or kids in children's hospitals. I would tell her to make them and give them to those who appreciate them.
I think the time spent with her neice will be some of her fondest memories later in life. I know mine are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #97  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie090277View Post
Um. WOW! I don't even know what to say about the Dear Abby letter!

What I will say is that the meaning of "handmade" should be stamped somewhere on the envelope so that non-cardmakers understand that "handmade" actually means ...that someone took some time out of their day to create something special just for you. What it also means is that you were in mind when coming up with the design, picking the pretty papers and the perfect sentiment and image let alone the colouring or paper piecing. That it also means that they may have possibly endured injury to them selves (paper cuts, glitter in the eyes, use your imagination because injuries in papercrafting can be serious *wink*) and their property (ink pads on the carpet, glue on the furniture, burning down the house with a heat gun) and even draining their bank accounts for supplies for a beautiful handmade, one of a kind greeting, made specifically just to brighten your day
You are so funny!!!! Well said...I will have to remember this for later.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #98  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I know a lot of people who are like the woman who sent the check - they live and breath money. If you didn't buy it or if you didn't pay a lot of money for it (then tell everyone just where and for how much you spent), then you're cheap. Unfortunately, those people are teaching their kids to behave the same way. The number of rude, uncaring, thoughtless people in this world is increasing at a huge rate. I see it everyday with people who think their time and money is so much more important than anyone else's.
This was what I was trying to express in my post also, but you did it much better! Sometimes, I have a hard time getting my point across, and I use too many words. I envy people that express themselves in a concise and to-the-point matter. Thanks for your post; you said it perfectly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #99  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I know a lot of people who are like the woman who sent the check - they live and breath money. If you didn't buy it or if you didn't pay a lot of money for it (then tell everyone just where and for how much you spent), then you're cheap.
Um maybe we should all send the lady the invoices from ALL our purchases? We'd see who's "cheap" then! LOL!!!! Cracks me up when people think cardmaking is cheap with supplies alone...and then the extra postage we have to pay from all the embellies:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #100  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
This made me chuckle because I made a card (it's in my gallery) with a Grinch on it. Hubby asked me why I made it and who would I send it to....LOL

I looked for it but couldnt find it...i will keep trying...but yes I guess you just never know what kind of card you might need...LOL...who would have thought a Grinch card would come in handy ?! I am sure your card is cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #101  
Die Cut Diva

I think she should send her a hand made thank you card with a picture of her and her niece toasting wine glasses and say "thanks for buying our wine, wouldn't think of sending anything other than hand made...cheers!" (sorry evil side of me brought out by rude people)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #102  
Ted
Kookie Creator

As I mentioned in the Papertrey Ink forums when I saw this...

I would have used the money she gave me to purchase a "Common Etiquette" book (or "Graciousness for Dummies") and send it to her...

Wrapped in handmade paper of course. ;)

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

:shock: Obviously, the "friend" of Blue at Christmas may exchange gifts and cards at Christmas, but doesn't comprehend the meaning behind it, or she would never devalue someone's effort like that. If I were the advice columnist, I wouldn't waste breath on her, but I would tell Blue at Christmas to continue crafting with her niece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #104  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love flooding her with letters...here is mine:

Quote:

Dear Abby,

I just read the letter about the hand made cards. I hope someone had directed you to a site: Splitcoaststampers.com . Go to the gallery and you will see the fabulous art work. Hand making cards is expensive, time consuming and a work of love. Anyone who does not appreciate the art is not worthy of receiving one of my cards. And, yes, I have a family member that does not get one of mine anymore. I buy a commercially, reproduced card from China for her. As you can see, art is in the eye of the beholder in this case.

yep--my own sister asked me not to send her anymore of my cards. I try to send a card a month to a list of 20 people so they get some 'good' mail. I replaced her with someone who cares! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #105  
Matboard Maniac

Sent my response to Dear Abby. Please keep us posted if she replies in the paper. I encourage others to flood her office. Maybe the lady who wrote the letter will get the idea.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 AM   #106  
Rubber Obsessor

I was shocked when I read it. How could anyone not love a hand made card? I also will reply to Abby. What ignorant person to write a check. She's just plain evil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Sad but true, I probably spend more money on just the adhesive than most do on their boxed cards.

I did wonder about others thinking I was too cheap to send a bought card..... if they only knew. (Maybe instead of pictures of the kids this year I should send a photo of my studio... where all all the magic happens. LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

Cheap. Hmmmmm, well, I just got my stamp club order and have made one card so far with the supplies so that card alone cost me $32 to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #109  
Inking Addict

How rude...I wonder how much the check was for..Cause I would have written her a thank you note of a post-it note and said "Looks whose talking bout cheap. The store bought cards that I would want to give you are gonna cost a little more than you sent. Please forward extra funds so you can get it by next Xmas."

Thats why so many young people's creativity and freedom of expression gets destroyed. All it takes is one senseless remark to make a person give up on something they love to do.

Whoever you are, please continue to be creative and share your cards. If I were you I would still send her my cards so she can continue to send checks to use on more crafting products.

Those who refuse to work for themselves will always work for others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #110  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I had an interesting phone call from my sister-in-law the other day. Apparently, I had not put enough postage on the envelope for the Christmas card I sent. She told me that she had laughingly said the card better be worth the 37 cents she had to pay the post office. She assured me that the card was well worth the money she had to fork over to get it! I have several friends that tell me they save every card I send them. So . . . there are plenty of people out there who appreciate hand-made cards. So sorry the Dear Abby writer had a bad experience.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #111  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I had a good friend from high school who got cancer 6 or 7 years ago and went though many battles with it and finally passed at a way too young age (before 30) a couple of years ago. I think I should write dear Abby and tell her how my friend LOVED my cards and saved every single one I made for him. He had even taken pictures of them on his mantel and emailed them to me to see:-) At his visitation and funeral I was pointed out to MANY family members as "the girl who makes T those awesome cards". He was always showing/telling his family about them although I didn't know that until he was gone.

That article still makes my jaw drop...that the recipient of the card could be that thoughtless/ignorant/and rude!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #112  
Watercolor Wizard

I thought about this thread as I posted a washi tape card last night and realized that single one-layer card cost about $20 just in the washi (which I overbought bigtime and am not really enjoying using...sort of a waste!). Non-crafters just don't have a CLUE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I didn't know we were supposed to evaluate the holiday cards we received!

Can you imagine if you gave feedback to all your friends and relatives ... the photo cards, the holiday letters, the obviously-mass-produced cards? Wow!

Seriously takes the 'joy of family and friends' right out of the picture, doesn't it?

It makes me sad that the writer wasn't able to internally just blow off this person who obviously misses the point of sending cards. And yeh, I think Abby missed the mark on her response.

About not-so-well-meaning people and what they're remembered for:
When my parents passed away and I was going through their papers, their photos, their momentos, I came across an old, yellowed hand written letter from some aunt of my grandmother. My mother was a twin. The youngest (by a minute) of five children.

My grandmother had been raised the daughter of a banker. She had married a humble school teacher.

The letter was posted January, and my mom would have been about four months old when my grandmother received it. Was it a letter of congratulations? Was it a letter rejoicing in the life two new babies? No. It was a letter sharing this aunt's deep 'concern' and criticism over a school teacher and his wife having now five children, asking my grandmother what on earth could she be thinking?

I can't imagine the possible shame my grandmother may have felt, as she held her two new babies. I wonder how much joy that letter stole from her. I'm not sure how it affected my mother. She never spoke of the letter, but here it was all those many years later.

While I never met this self-absorbed judgmental great-great aunt of mine, her legacy, for me, certainly lives on. And it's far from a pretty one.

ETA: While there's a huge difference between babies and cards, the motivation behind those small minded people with enormous egos who think they're disguising their cruel words as 'helpfulness' ... they're the same.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 12-18-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

(Oh dear ... did not realize this thread was more than one page.

sign me,
slightly embarrassed here.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 997 Likes on 678 Posts

I am so sorry! Unfortunately, There are and will always be thoughtless and uncaring people in our world. I continue to make handmade cards for my MIL who has told me many times that I should buy 99 cent cards. I bite my tongue. As I was taught.... continue to be nice to those that are ignorant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #116  
ckm
Rubber Obsessor

I would have signed the back of the check and sent it to a charity. That way maybe she would realize the importance of your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #117  
Kookie Creator

I wish there was a way that woman could know about this thread so she could share it with her niece -- that would be a great way of reassuring her niece that so many of us "have her back" and give her the encouragement to continue develeloping her creativity! I hope they continue making cards and focus on the majority of recipients who DO appreciate their talents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Good response. Personally I would hold on to the cheque until almost the stale date so it would be running through her books (used to be 6 months here in Canada) . Then I would photocopy it and then cash it! Take the money and the note and put it in a frame and hang it in my craft studio with the caption underneath it ' I thought you were worth my extra work..sorry my mistake'. LOL. Just because I am a witch (with a B)! I have a small rubber stamp for the back of cards that says 'If you think I am cheap because I made this card...you have never bought a rubber stamp'! My sick sense of humour thinks that is funny!
So the moral of the story is...Don't waste your time on someone who doesn't appreciate it..that's what dollar store cards are for...the uglier the better! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #119  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd love to send a card to the lady who wrote in. Wouldn't it be great if she could get cards from all of us in support?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #120  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 491 Likes on 309 Posts

Just clicked to send my response to Dear Abby.....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes