Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone work with Acetate???

Last Fall I picked up some acetate thinking it was clear like the old transparency films of my youth. I was disappointed to learn that there is a coating on it. I'm not sure how to use this stuff so it sits waiting for inspiration Does a person stamp on the coating or remove it somehow? Is there something else you do with Acetate? Any handy tips would be appreciated! Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a StazOn pad when stamping on acetate. Works GREAT!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually wash my acetate with dish soap and water and let dry to remove the coating. I use acetate mostly for shaker cards, and there's less static cling after washing it.

I would only use an ink like Staz On if I were going to stamping directly on the acetate. Otherwise it might smear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used it to make some medallion Easter egg cards. I stamped it with stazon and then used Art institute glue and the micro fine glitters. Really cool. But you must mount them onto a card to get the depth of the glitter. Must be glitter side down. They turned out really nice. When you first apply the glue and the glitter it looks really horrible, but when it dries, it really does become cool to look at. Was thinking of doing some for sun catchers, but it doesn't work. You have to mount them on card. I guess you could sandwhich a piece of card between two glittered ones. I have also seen here where they used glass paints on it and Permanent OHP pens to colour it in with. One of my projects to try is a shaker card one of these days when I get time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
Last Fall I picked up some acetate thinking it was clear like the old transparency films of my youth. I was disappointed to learn that there is a coating on it. I'm not sure how to use this stuff so it sits waiting for inspiration Does a person stamp on the coating or remove it somehow? Is there something else you do with Acetate? Any handy tips would be appreciated! Thanks.
I love working with the transparencies... but not sure what you mean by "coating" on them? Are they printer transparencies (rough on one side where the print goes so as not to smear)?

I usually (but not always) buy the transparencies for my inkjet printer.. that way if I want printing for an overlay, I can do it with my computer. If I want the 'rough' side down when mounting, I just flip the image (words) before printing.

I also find stamping on the 'rough' side keeps my stamps from slipping... which will create a mirror image unless I don't mind the 'rough' side being up when mounted.

I use these same transparencies for the "acetate and tissue" technique (caught in crystal) ... shaker cards... Stained-Glass Window cards (using either ultra fine glitter or metalic-type paints (Lumiere) ... for an overlay adding words on top of an image... for creating a 3-D effect on cards (same image overlay... using glitter or Lumiere on the back of the acetate layer... and for the Pearl Ex and Gold Leafing Technique (name?)

I always use Staz-on ink when stamping on any of my acetates. I'm pleased with the results of Staz-On, so I haven't tried other permanent inks.

Hoping this will give you a few ideas for using your acetate.

Good luck... and most of all.. HAVE FUN!

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Did you buy the SU window sheets? If so, they come with a white vellumy paper backing which you can peel off and then the transparencies are clear.

HTH.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes