Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2004, 04:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baby shower ideas!!

Hi all....I have a couple baby showers to help throw within the next coming months and I was wondering if anyone had any "WOW" ideas they wouldn't mind passing around..whether it be for favors, decorations, food..anything!!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Kelli
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

The last baby shower I helped with was a co-ed shower, so it was interesting to come up with things that would actually encourage guys to come!

Decorations were simple - we basically went to the party store and bought all kinds of banners and streamers and stuff. I also made vellum wine glass shades stamped with baby images and made centerpieces with those.

We only played one game - baby shower bingo. Everyone got a blank bingo card when they arrived and they had to fill it in with things they thought the couple were going to be receiving that day. Then, as gifts were opened, they marked their cards. Winners got to pick from the centerpieces and we had a couple of candle sets we gave away, too.

We also had a table for folks to write down baby blessings for the parents to read and scrapbook. And of course, a table to stamp a card if they hadn't already done that!

Finish it off with a cake decorated in a baby theme and finger foods (chips, veggies, cookies, sandwiches, etc...) and there ya go!

The shower I did before that was a backwards shower, where we did a lot of the same things. Except people brought their gifts unwrapped and shared with the group how they knew the couple and what they got (and why, if there was a meaning). After everyone shared, we moved to the "wrapping station" to wrap all of our gifts. We recorded the whole thing so after the parents unwrapped all the gifts that were sent to them, they could watch the shower and see exactly who gave them what. It was a lot of fun and actually worked really well!

Hope some of this helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

CincyStamper - I was the recipient of one of those showers almost 13 years ago! My mother hosted it (along with my aunt), I was pregnant w/their first grandchild and in the Navy. I couldn't take leave to go home because I needed to save it for after our son's birth. I have the whole videotape, and still treasure it! I was so excited to see another person did the same thing...I just had to post.

Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Baby Shower Games

Don't gross out! The latest shower game around here is taking 5 or 6 small size diapers, putting in a snack size candy bar, such as Baby Ruth, Recees peanut butter cups, Snickers, etc...then melt them just a touch in the microwave. Pass the diaper around to all the guests and have them guess what the candy bar was in each numbered diaper for a prize...it is hilarious to watch all the women sniffing diapers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:52 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

We played a game where we purchased about a dozen cheap bottles and then paired people up in two's. Of course they didn't know what they were doing... so, we set up some chairs and had one of the pairs sit and the other one stand behind. We took the people that was standing and brought them to another room. We showed them the bottles (filled with SPRITE) and told them that they had to RUN to their partner (who was about 150 feet away) sit on their lap and their partner had to rock them like they were getting put to sleep while they suck down their bottles.

Because we put sprite in there, the carbonation got all crazy cause they were running to their partners. And the pairs cracked me up cause like my brother was sitting on my SIL's lap, adults were sitting on teenagers laps. It was so much fun!!!! :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

At my sister's shower each guest was asked to bring the new Mom a copy of their favorite book from their childhood. It was a great way to start a collection for the new little one. I also like the idea of passing a journal and asking all the Moms to write down their best parenting tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:05 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

These are some great ideas...keep them coming!!!

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I throw scrapbooking baby showers. Each guest makes a scrapbook page for a baby book for the mother to take home. Each guest signs the back and the mother has a wonderful gift to treasure from all her friends and the guests have a great time scrappin!

Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther.
ScrappinGallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

Here's a game I once did for someone's shower: I took a platter and filled it with baby items that I purchased for the new Mommy. I covered it with a receiving blanket to hide what was underneath. I made a BIG deal out of nobody having paper or pencils in hand yet, but passed them all out. I asked the new Mommy to do the honors: Uncover it, and walk around the circle to show it to people. We had a watch and everything to make sure nobody got more than 15 seconds to peep at the tray! After the Mom To Be was done, she walked out of the room, with the tray, to another room. The ladies all had pencils poised, but I said "Now, write down EVERY SINGLE thing you remember Sally was wearing. You have 4 minutes, GO!" And you should have heard the groans!! It was a lot of fun, and the winner packaged all the things from the tray into a baby bag and presented it to the Mom. After all the ladies were done complaining about the trick, they started talking about how they were going to do the same thing!! LOL :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I gave a shower a few years ago where the theme was "Come help Brenda feather her nest". I got a really cute stamp - birdhouse with a stork holding a baby in a bundle - to hand stamp the invitations. The party was garden luncheon with a birds and nests and flowers theme. Guests made their own favors - as they arrived we had a table set up for them to custom paint little wood bird house ornaments. The mom-to-be had decorated her nursery in florals and was not really into very "baby-ish" stuff, so this theme was perfect for her. It was one of the most beautiful parties I have ever given.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Default My Water Broke!!!!

Just had to post this it is one of our family's favorite games.

What you need:

x# of little plastic babies (they come in pkgs of 6 in boy or girl)
Jello mold egg thingy's
Water to make the ice

What you do:

Fill jello mold about half way with water and freeze.

Once frozen add a baby and a little more water then freeze again.

After frozen fill all the way up and freeze again.

Unmold the eggs and place on a cookie sheet in freezer until ready to use and mold more if you need to.

How to play.

Give each person who comes to the shower a cup with a baby in the womb. (frozen baby egg)

**(if mulitiples are expected you can do that as well though I would not go more than 3 to an egg)

Next- Give everyone the instructions-

1. You are not allowed to poke, prod, or chew up the ice to peck your baby out of the womb.

2. You are not allowed to put the cup or the the womb into a hot substance in order to thaw it out.

3. You may not microwave the egg.

4. You may not pour a hot substance or any substance over or the womb.

Object of the game:

the first person whose baby comes out of the womb wins the game. But in order to win they must be the first to "SHOOOUT""

"MY WATER BROKE"

This is the funniest game in my family especially because all the old ladies in the family are cheaters, cheaters cheaters and it is funny to watch them be sneaky and when the shout they shout.

Have fun,
ani
:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Okay, I'm so addicted! This is my LAST post today, I swear!!!

We did this game at my friend's shower, it was hilarious. I can totally picture guys doing this too.

You need a lot of little baby clothes (we used the ones given as gifts), a cordless phone, a baby doll, and a stopwatch.

Time each person as they "talk" on the phone while holding the baby, and fold all of the clothes. No cheating! The clothes have to be folded neatly! It is hysterical to watch. Whoever does it the quickest wins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

There was a game that my now husband's family had us play at our wedding shower that I was told they also used at his cousin's baby shower. For the baby version everyone was given one of those little baby bottle candy things and during the shower there was a list of words that you couldn't say-the word baby is the toughest but a must! Other words could include the baby's name or sex if they know what either is and then anything else that might pertain to friend. (For the wedding one we all had ringpops and couldn't say wedding related words!) If you catch someone saying one of the forbidden words you take their baby bottle. At the end of the shower (or whenever you decide to end the game if the shower is longer) the person with the most baby bottles wins a prize. Silly but so fun and it's a great way to get everyone involved in the shower rather than just sitting back and watching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:07 PM   #14  
SCS Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default baby shower

Im actually going to a baby shower on Saturday. I am making Thank You cards with the cuddles and tickles set as part of her gift. I actually like "cuddles" better than the new baby set this year "I'm Here"

I found mini non SU alphadots and added some beads and ribbons et voila...Its time consuming- only have 10 finished- not even half way there so I best get stamping!

Since I am a new SU demo I am putting my SU labels on the back of all the Thanks you cards I make and hope to generate some interest in parties and stamping?? Keeping fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
baby shower ideas!!-baby_thanks.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:09 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Gina, that is such a cute card! And that's a great idea about putting your label back there! I hope it does spark some interest!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I agree...very cute...LOVE those little letters!!!

Thanks for all the ideas so far..I am really LOVING the baby womb thing...might have to see if I can get some plastic babies??!!!

Thanks,
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 02:28 AM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I think she means by plastic babies, the ones you find in the cake decorating aisle in Wal mart, or other stores that sell cake decorating things. There are so many fun baby things in cake decorating aisle. I have a lot of them here but only got the boys... I just got done making a baby shower cake for my step niece couple months back, used the babies to "hang" on the 2 layer round cake.. It was so cute!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes