Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not believe how rude some folks are.... It's NOT a privilege to teach our children. Believe me I have 5 in school this year and you want to talk about expensive.... book fees $1600 monthly tuition $720.... The least I can do is take a few minutes to make a card and give them a small gift. Something little like a beaded pen for the girl teacher and a nice pen from WalMart for the guy teachers. Or a "teacher survival kit" with goodies. It doesn't have to cost a lot. It's the thought.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

What great ideas! Now I have another excuse to stamp! :-) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by akmas
Here is a grat one I found:

Teacher Survival Kit
Crayon - to color your day bright and cheerful
Candle - for when you are up late grading papers
Hugs and Kisses - for when you need a hug
Rubberband - to remind you to be flexible
Eraser - to remind you everyone makes mistakes and they can be erased.
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost
Lifesaver candy - you are a lifesaver to many of your students
Jewel - because you are as valuable as a precious stone
Puzzle Piece - without you the class wouldn't be complete
Paperclip - to hold it all together
Mounds Bar - for the mounds of confidence you give your students
Shiny Penny - to remind you, each will shine in their own special way
Ear Plugs - when you just can't take anymore
Starburst - to give you a "burst" of energy when you need it
Mint - to remind you that you are worth a "mint" to your students
Tissues - to wipe away the tears...yours and theirs.
Gum - to help your class "stick" together
Bandaid - to help fix any hurt feelings
�Paulette, 1998, TLC Creations.
This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing! This sounds like a really nice way to start off the school year!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I wish I had thought of back to school gifts when my kids were in school. I always did the Christmas gifts. When they were in High School, I would make up one big bag of tea (herbal), coffee (decaf), gummies, chocolates and have it sent to the teacher's lounge with a note telling all of them they were appreciated. I always wondered if it got lost in the fuss of Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Honestly I'm kind of shocked that some people are openly opposed to someone willing to do something nice for someone else. Perhaps working a mile in someone else's shoes would be helpful sometimes.

I'm making an assumption here that the teacher is female which may not be correct. How about a scented candle with an image of an apple or something similar on the side. Or a beaded pen and notebook. Even just a card saying thanks would be appreciated. Also you could just tell her that you are thankful for her hard work. I always appreciate it when my employer tells me thanks even though it is my job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks for the good ideas. As a former high school teacher who received maybe three thank you cards in eight years, I can appreciate giving a back to school gift. Yet, I also pay school taxes (as we all do I think) which a potion of is supposed to go towards classroom supplies, so I understand the resistance to the idea as well. I volunteered in my son's classroom every Wednesday this past year, was the room mother, and I know I spent more than his teacher did on party and classroom supplies. It would have been very nice if the teacher had shown me some appreciation too. I did not even recive a thank you card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

My children are grown but my SIL teaches elementary school and I give him a little back to school gift. Nothing fancy but a little show of support before the year starts. I think it is an important job, he gets paid very little and gives so much to the kids and his classroom (emotionally and financially). This year Target had a lot of school themed things in the dollar spot so I got a couple of post-it pads, a pen and will stick in a $5 Starbucks card.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #48  
GMC
Kookie Creator

Default Back to School

I have always done some sort of token back to school gift for the elementary school teachers. The past few years I have boxed up homemade chocolate covered strawberries (maybe four or five per each kid's teacher and a small tray for the office staff) and have the kids present them to their new teacher at "meet the teacher day" which happens the day before school begins. I always bring something for the office staff because it always seems that they are long forgotten when it comes to being remembered in the school.

And, yes, our schools ask for donations for the classroom too--kleenex, antibacterial soaps, crayons, baby wipes, etc. along with the usual stuff you buy your own child as school supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
My DD's kindergarten teacher is a SU demo...ARGGHHH! Why me? I usually got the teachers that had no idea about stamping and thought whatever I made was fabulous!! LOL

How can you top a SU demo?? :p
I wouldn't try to top her, I think that she would appreciate anything you would do or make for her....It's also nice to know that your DD has a Kindergarten teacher who can be creative... some of them just aren't LoL

that survival kit would be cute, in a little basket or rubber made container just stamped on or with some paper and ribbon....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

You know, one of those large pump dispensers of hand cleaner for the classroom might be appreciated and would benefit everyone. Sometimes I send in a box of tissues later in the year because they tend to run out of these. I was a mothers' morning out teacher, and we always appreciated chocolate. I do agree that after elementary school, gifts to teachers are not as common. For one thing, the child has more teachers! For my sixth grader's teachers, I sent in small bags of sweets at Christmas and at the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by laderme
I wish I had thought of back to school gifts when my kids were in school. I always did the Christmas gifts. When they were in High School, I would make up one big bag of tea (herbal), coffee (decaf), gummies, chocolates and have it sent to the teacher's lounge with a note telling all of them they were appreciated. I always wondered if it got lost in the fuss of Christmas.
Thank you for remembering those high school teachers. Most teach over 100 students a day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I think the teacher survivial kit is adorable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

My children aren't in school yet. However, I remember how some of my teachers made a great impact on my life. Simply put, I think it's a wonderful gesture.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Has anyone been to the Target $1 spot lately? There are dozens of cute items to give to a teacher. The last time I went there were post it notes, special pencils, flashcards, phonics books, other school supplies, school themed stamps, ink pads, maps of the US with erase-markers, pack of postcards that said "thanks for being in my classroom", stickers, scented markers, etc, etc, etc - I bought a bunch of stuff to sprinkle to my son's teacher this year. I was saving back some stuff for teacher appreciation later in the school year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
ITA with this. Before I went back to school, I worked for an architectural firm. The three partners did nice things for us every now and then, and morale around the office was great. It balanced the inevitable times when a project got really stressful and frustrating, contractors were screwing up, or the printers messed up a big set of documents. Even if it was just making a run to Walgreens for chocolate during a late-night push to meet a deadline, it made us feel appreciated and people really liked working there. ;)
i one hundred percent agree with you rachel..
my boss is ALWAYS going above and beyond to make us feel appreciated, and he almost always receives a smile all day long.
i love my boring annoying job because the people i work with and my two bosses are awesome!
never have i enjoyed a job as much as this one, and it is truly because i FEEL appreciated.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Although I didn't give these as a back to school gift, I've given decorated paint cans that included thank you cards for the teacher's use, a stamped candle, a beaded pen, and a post-it note holder--all matching. My daughter's last teacher really got a kick out of the packaging and had to open it right then in front of the class! I've also given teachers sets of tumbled tiles as coasters, and more note cards for them to use, as they send out a lot of thank yous.

Aside from stamping gifts, I've also given Office Depot or Staples gift cards for the teacher to purchase whatever the classroom may need, and picked up ink cartridges for the computer printers in the class.

The idea for the 6x6 magnetic board posted earlier sounded good--you could get really creative with that. And what about a name frame with the teacher's name on it? I'm planning on doing that maybe for Christmas this year.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aprilinparis
You know, one of those large pump dispensers of hand cleaner for the classroom might be appreciated and would benefit everyone. Sometimes I send in a box of tissues later in the year because they tend to run out of these. I was a mothers' morning out teacher, and we always appreciated chocolate. I do agree that after elementary school, gifts to teachers are not as common. For one thing, the child has more teachers! For my sixth grader's teachers, I sent in small bags of sweets at Christmas and at the end of the year.
my DD's teacher had a treasure chest in her room filled with cheap oriental trading trinket/stuff.. and the kids LOVED it.
for every donation they brought in, they got to visit the treasure chest..
my DD wanted to bring hand sanitizer/kleenex every week! LOL
but, i appreciate them teaching the children sanitation, and am happy to help through out the year.

i LOVED my DD's K teacher last year, and i couldnt quit buying for her, i really hope the 1st grade teacher is even half as good.. she was truly a one of a kind!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great ideas! The teachers at my daughters' school make less than public school teachers (who knew that was possible) and put quite a bit of money back into their classrooms. I will definitely start doing a back-to-school gift from now on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #59  
Inking Addict

How about a coupon book that the teacher can "cash in" during the school year? You can include... helping during a party, going on a field trip, cutting out laminated things, helping with a bulletin board, organizing a book order, etc. There are lots of things that you could do at home (if you work) or at school. And wow... it's free!

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

Wow, thats so harsh to say something like that. There are some schools that are severely under funded and they shell out their own money to get basic supplies on their very small salaries. Teachers are one of the most if not the most underpaid and under appreciated job in this country and any kind of thank you gift is sure to brighten a teachers day. Who ever paid 600 dollars on stamp supplies, where are you shopping at?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

How about a nugget box? You can find directions here:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Or a popcorn slider? You can find directions here:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I have never heard of back to school gifts, but I think *anytime* you can make someone feel appreciated with a token gift, it is a wonderful thing! You go, girl!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

I am doing altered clipboards and matching pens for my kids teachers this year (and DD's teacher from last year!). I took advantage of a great sale back when I still shopped with Viking (NOT ANYMORE!) and got large and small ones for 57 cents each, so I can afford to do these with my 2 clubs this year as well.
This is my second "back to school" season as a demo. Last year in August my workshops included a candy bag with the M&M survival note (if you feel stressed, eat the blue..etc).
I buy extra school supplies now when the prices are good, send one batch of extra in when school begins, and hold back an identical batch to send in Sept. I also try to make sure we donate to the music and art teachers, and others who sometimes don't get anything. Just little stuff-- for the cafeteria workers I wrapped up kitkat bars in school colors-- but it is appreciated.

Just a note-- if you read any of the Teacher Appreciation threads, the teachers that chimed in mostly said NOT to do apple themes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #63  
Gabfest Goddess

okay... so I had this long nasty thing all written out and just erased it. I want to thank the parents who give a card at the beginning of the year. Just want to add - make sure to do it throughout the year too! I want to know that I am making my "customers" happy and a card would have lifted my spirits immensely during my first year of teaching! remember, teachers give too - I had out a handmade birthday card when someone has a birthday! the parents may not see them... but that's because their child doesn't take it home! LOL whata ya do?
BTW - It doesn't have to be fancy! Like I said, a card is a great way to say you're excited for the year!
~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee30
anyone have an idea for a bus driver survivor kit.... would love to one for my DS bus driver too
Well based on the earlier post, how about a nose plug and a mop? :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

This is the first year of school for us! My DD began kindergarten yesterday! On registration day she made a card for her teacher and you would have thought she gave her a ton of cash-my DD was so happy. We will be doing little tokens of appreciation throughout the year. Our teachers are so underpaid and we need to take care of them. They are teaching the kids who will one day be running this country!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After spending the summer with my kids, anybody who can do it for more than an hour or two at a stretch needs a major award or gift every day. I usually make teacher gifts at Christmas and thank you note card or all occassion packs of cards for the end of the year. Doing a little something at the beginning of the year is really nice, too. (Maybe a little chocolate for soothing those stressed nerves - usually works for me!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
I'm making an assumption here that the teacher is female which may not be correct. How about a scented candle with an image of an apple or something similar on the side. Or a beaded pen and notebook. Even just a card saying thanks would be appreciated.
I've heard from more than one teacher, please no candles, no apples, no bath/body products. It wasn't said in a mean way, and certainly not "in public" but I've seen teacher's yard sales where they literally have cases of candles out for sale. Those things are the quick, impersonal type gifts that lots of parents give. While the thought is appreciated, they get tons of those things.

One of the most appreciated gifts I gave to a teacher was a set of notecards. They don't have to be anything extra fancy, but they are something the teachers use a lot. I got a couple of little notes home on basic "scratch" paper- a stamped notecube would be great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

I understand that back to school is expensive. My kids go to a private school and we have to pay tuition, book fees, buy ALL their school suplies, uniforms, pay for all field trips. We are also asked to contribute to the classroom. Things like kleenex, hand soap, sanatizer, extra pencils, etc. I can tell you that becaues it is a private school, the teachers are paied much less than teachers in the public schools in our area. I know they are teaching because they want to be and they love what they do. I enjoy doing whatever I can to help them out and show my support. I think a back to school gift is a great idea. What better way to show our teachers that we apreciate them and are thankful to have them teaching our children. It doesn't have to cost alot. A couple of handmade cards and a post it note holder or beaded pen. Anything really, they are worth it! JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

I found several ideas for bus driver survival kits & poems:

Bus Driver
Bus Driver Kit

Tootsie roll - so you can "roll" down the highway
Sponge - to soak up the rain, so you don't have to drive in it
Mounds - for the mounds of miles that you drive
Marbles - to replace the ones you've lost
Gem - to remind you that you are carrying precious cargo
Aspirin - take two every day
Cotton Ball - to cushion those rough roads
Rubberbands - for when your patience is stretched
Tums - for all the nervous stomachs
Mirror - to remind you how important you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bus Driver Kit

A stick of gum - To remind you to stick with it!
A paper clip - To help keep things together.
A pencil - For the next time somebody says "get the lead out"
An eraser - To erase any mistakes or misunderstandings.
Crayons - To "color" your days bright and sunny
A tissue - To wipe away a tear-- your own or someone else's.
A poem - To share the beauty of words.
A penny - So you have enough "cents" to realize what a good job you are doing
A piece of string - For when you reach the end of your rope - this will keep you going a bit longer
A band aid - For healing hurt feelings, yours and someone else's.
A candle - To find your way to the bus on those dark mornings.
A rubber band - A reminder to stay flexible
A cotton ball - For the rough roads, seek the cushioned support of your family and friends.
A recipe - To make when you have all that extra time in the summer!
A joke - Laughter is the best medicine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bus Driver Poem
Special Person Author:Carolyn Henry

She is a special person, I'm sure you'll all agree
She's the kind of person, I wanted her to be

She is very responsible, in caring for your child
She won't let them be rowdy, and they can't be wild

She drives the bus they ride on, each and every day
she makes sure they are careful, on the bus when they play

She does your job for you, when you send them out the door
They are hers to care for, Until they are home once more.

Do you ever think about her, and the job she does for you
Do you ever say Thank you, for watching all this crew

She's not in it for the pay, there's not enough for that,
She wants to take care of them, and that is where its at

Do you put yourself in her place, as you send them out the door
Do you know she worries, until they're home once more

That is your most precious possession, she is holding in her hand
She knows this and wishes, someone would understand

She is your School Bus Driver but don't you sell her short
She is caring for your children, and she's doing it from her heart.

Poem for bus drivers

Heroes
There are heroes in our land today that never receive any recognition
Some of these are a child's first acquaintance of education.
Now a teacher might be the first one who comes to your mind,
But I speak of the bus driver for which the kids wait in line.

For a moment, put your self in the bus driver's shoes,
And I'm sure you will find that it's a job you might not want to choose.
Just think what it would be like to baby sit for sixty kids or better,
And remember you must chauffeur this bus load of kids regardless of the weather.

I must admit, to be in front of a classroom with 20-30 kids wouldn't be a picnic,
But to drive 60 kids over icy roads would set my nerves on edge and make my stomach sick.
A school bus driver is like the postman and must go regardless of rain, snow, gloom, and darkest of night,
But no postman ever had to have 60 kids, clean up their mess, or break up a fight.

A child can have a bad day at school without any warning,
But can be forgotten when a bus driver says, " Have a good evening, I'll see you in the morning".
Ask any student, what heroes of theirs never received any fame,
And I'll bet a bus driver will be among those that they name.

Author: Dave Arnold

These fun kits are made simply by adding all of the "ingredients", printing the list of items and their meaning and putting it all in a jar with a nice decorative jar topper. These are inexpensive kits, especially if you can recycle the jar from your kitchen (keep your eye open for nice jelly and relish jars at the store.

Return to index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

I love all these ideas! I'm trying to figure out how to translate them into male mode for my son's teacher this year.

Just a side note. For last year's teacher I didn't really stamp anything for her (okay a notebook...who can't use one of those?) but what I did do is buy things that I noticed she needed. She hauled her stuff around in a box with the bottom coming out so I got her a rubbermaid container. She always had huge bottles of water sitting around so I got her a water bottle in her favorite color. If we made goodies the night before we'd take her a treat the next day. At the end of the year I stamped her a Mrs. Jordan's Classroom name frame...she loved it!

Keep the ideas coming all!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

Paula..here is what I did last year for Ava's teacher. I am not sure yet what I will do this year. She *may* have the same teacher as the teacher moved up to 2nd grade. If she doesn't then something similar is in order, but if she has the same teacher I am going to have to come up with something different..LOL...I love the idea of the stamped note cards or scratch paper-that is awesome!

Teacher Gift 2005-2006

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #73  
Glitter Guru

I think I am going to do up some 2, 4, 6, 8 boxes and put like 5-6 chocolate nuggets inside with labels stamped on them. chocolate always seems to be a hit, and if the teacher can't eat it, i am sure a husband/child/other teacher can eat it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Default From a teacher who is mother of 6

The teachers will be very appreciative of any small token, but won't think anything against you if there is no gift. It is not unusual to receive something from at least one child in the classroom (at least at my school). I'm mostly surprised at the the negative posts--like it's the teacher's fault it costs money to educate and care for your child for hours a day.

As to the original question, my mom always believed in giving consummables such as sticky notes, note pads, gel pens, etc. A small stamped post-it pad would hardly cost a thing, but would be a friendly gesture that would also teach your child the importance of showing appreciation to people. Sometimes I send a giant candy bar with a stamped wrapper. If you like to bake, you could simply send something from the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownee
Paula..here is what I did last year for Ava's teacher. I am not sure yet what I will do this year. She *may* have the same teacher as the teacher moved up to 2nd grade. If she doesn't then something similar is in order, but if she has the same teacher I am going to have to come up with something different..LOL...I love the idea of the stamped note cards or scratch paper-that is awesome!

Teacher Gift 2005-2006
Keva-That is fabulous. I may do something similar for Emma's teacher. Thanks for adding that link!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Paula, I love this idea! Even though my DD is a toddler, I'm going to keep it in mind in a year or two!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #77  
Watercolor Wizard

I was actually bummed when I got a handout saying gifts for teachers were not considered appropriate at our son's school. What?! Last year at preschool I gave my son's teachers Blockbuster gift cards for Christmas and at the end of the year I gave them restaurant gift certificates. I thought it was the least I could do, they were so kind.

Natalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #78  
Hardware Hotshot

Paula,

Thanks so much for the idea! Don't know why this thought has never occurred to me, as I do Christmas Gifts and End of the Year Appreciation gifts.

I'm loving the "survival kit" idea--thanks for the list and Keva for the link to your darling paint can! That's a great idea that I think I'll get started on right now. School is only 3 weeks away...yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

What a thoughtful, wonderful idea it is to give a "Welcome Back" gift! I'm sure the teacher will appreciate whatever you decide to give. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for you. Well, I don't have any appropriate ideas. The only thing that came to mind is "a *big* bottle of tequila. I can't imagine being patient enough and giving enough to teach small children. Teachers are often underpaid and underappreciated and it's really a great step in creating a nice, cooperative relationship with the new teacher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

I really miss the edit button! Before anyone gets upset, please know that I was kidding about the tequila. It was just a reference to the fact that I couldn't do their jobs!
Reply With Quote Likes