Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2004, 04:14 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baking tiles DOES NOT seal them!!

I made tiles last night (of course the night before I need them - but in my defense I just got the stamps from UPS yesterday) for Andy's preschool teachers. Well, I did the stazon and baked for 5 min. Let that sit, then when they were cooled I colored them with sharpies. I let that bake for 20 min then left them until this morning. I tried putting water on them and the sharpie totally comes off. It doesn't run or anything, but when I rubbed with a paper towel or my finger, I got ink on it. SO, now I gotta drop Andy off and run to Walmart and get sealant and seal them. I hope the teachers are going to be at church Sunday and I can give them their gifts then.....

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:17 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

they need to sit 48 hours after the sharpies are baked. Cathching the teachers Sunday is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh....no one told me that part! What about just applying a sealant? Wouldn't that work pretty quickly?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:29 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Well, it wouldn't be functional as a coaster b/c it wouldn't obsorb water. If it was a decorative tile rather than a coaster, the sealant would be ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:36 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hmm...I didn't think about that part. Ok, so how come so many use sealant then? You swear if I wait 48 hrs they won't rub off? I guess if they are still rubbing off Saturday night, then I can seal them then....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:39 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

What type of tile are you using?

That is the big question - it sounds like you are using a non-pourous ceramic shiney tile and not the tumbled pourous tiles.

The tumbled pourous tiles will absorb the ink, whereas with the shiney ceramic tiles the image just sits on top - in many cases the Staz-on will stay but sharpies can wipe off. They do make markers specifically for ceramic items but I doubt you want to spend the $$

I haven't used the shiney ceramic tiles except in the little square sized and have had the same thing happen to me - the Staz-on will stick but the sharpies can be rubbed off in some occassions. I have used a clear sealer to seal them so the sharpie color doesn't come off. HOWEVER, if the sealent gets chipped somehow, in most cases the image will come off with the sealent (since the image sits on top of the tile when you spray it the ink "adheres" to the spray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:39 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

that's the whole reason we buy the tumbled tiles not the slick tiles, so they will be absorbant. i gave mine exactly 48 hours and put a sweaty glass on them and they stayed put beautifully. I didn't use sharpies on my coaster but i did use the Stampin Journalers to color in things. Sharpies work just as good though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

using tumbled tiles, i have dunked, soaked, and rubbed the tile after using Stazon and Sharpies, and it did not smear, budge or run. I seal them when i use other inks and chaulks. Good luck!! Sealing them does give a nice finished look tho, even tho they arent absorbant anymore...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Nope, definately the tumbled tiles. They have all the holes in them. I'll wait the 48 hrs. Jenn~ when you did tumbled and used sharpies did yours sit for 48 hrs before you tried to wash them off? I remember you saying you had tried abunch of things when your daughter colored on one. I am just nervous cause I don't want them to not turn out when I have these for so many little gifts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:47 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
Hmm...I didn't think about that part. Ok, so how come so many use sealant then? You swear if I wait 48 hrs they won't rub off? I guess if they are still rubbing off Saturday night, then I can seal them then....
All the tumbled tiles I have ever done I have used Staz-on and sharpies and baked in the oven to set the ink into the tile. Once cooled it is good to go. We had an unfortunate incident involving a child, an ink pen and one of my coasters...I tried a lot of different cleaning products (ones you would have for everyday use - Lysol wipes, windex, dish soap, etcc) and nothing budged the image (or the ink pen marks either) - the only thing that budged the image was the use of a solvent (like nail polish remover or Staz-on cleaner) and even that just faded the image didn't make it go away.

True tumbled tiles are not forgiving - once you ink it that ink is pretty much there to stay in some way shape or form. Whereas, with the ceramic tiles if you make a mistake it can be easily cleaned and start over since the ink does not absorb.

As for sealing some people use pencils and chalks to color in their image so that needs to be sealed in some sort of way - either thru the use of an all-over sealent or spot sealing with CE or some other type of sealent in just the areas with chalk or pencil.

If you are using a ceramic tile I would suggest sealing it - since it would be a ceramic tile it would not be water absorbant anyway - many people swear by Plaids Patrica Nimrocks sealer. I haven't used it myself - I have only used a Krylon sealer (which I have had problems with the sealent chipping in a few cases and the image coming off - so I would not recommend Krylon)

If you are using true tumbled tile and all this is occuring the only thing I can think is you got a weird batch of tumbled tiles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:50 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have tried about everything with the finished shiney tiles and I still have the ink come off. I used stazon and baked - no luck, sharpies and baked - no luck, sealer and they can still chunk off a little and I had troubles getting my sealer to look good (I used the patricia stuff and the other stuff I had at home). So if there is really a way to keep the stamped image on the shiney tiles I would love to know, I still have 1/2 a box of them.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:59 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

hummmm so they are tumbled tiles...

I have only ever used the Bottochino (sp???) maybe yours were the Regalto (sp??) ones - I haven't heard of sharpies coming off once they are baked on either one though.

But now that I think about it - I know Kymbers has had a problem with Sharpie colors changing when baking - something that has never happend to me - It makes me think that the different types (I know there are at least 3 different types that can found in home stores) of tumbled tiles take the staz-on and sharpies differently - as I said I have only ever used the Bottochino ones (I usually sit on the floor and look thru boxes to make up a box of one that has a nice smooth finish with very little amount of holes and marbling). I know the Regalto ones have a more pock-marked effect than the Bottochino ones (at least at my Home Depot) so it makes me wonder if you have the Regalto ones??? Something to think about....

Personally, I would go get some sealer and seal them and call it good. Right now I rarely use mine for sweaty drinks anyway - I use mine more to set hot drinks down.

I am giving my girls daycare teachers a coaster, a cool mug and some hot chocolate as one part of thier gift.

The only thing I would suggest is when you go back to color them in with sharpies again to bake them again for a few minutes (or pop them in your microwave to heat set- i have done that from time to time with the shiney tiles, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for tumbled tiles as well) and let cool and then spray them with the sealer and just call it good...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Excellent idea, with the seal, they would be perfect for hot drinks, quite handy this time of the year. Good luck and knock 'em dead with the tiles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:10 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I had HUGE issues with tiles!!! lol I was using the ceramic finished ones tho..not knowing there were porus tumbled ones too!! lol So, I have gone thru the trials of colors running, changing, bleeding, rubbing off, and even tiles breaking!! lol (dont ask) :lol:
So, maybe it is the "type" of tumbled tile??? I didnt know they had all those different names to the tumbled ones.....so, Emily, i am right there with ya!!! lol I do know that my last ones that did not run or smear were the Bottchino (sp?) ones......(i just looked on the box ) lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:12 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks ladies! I think I have the Regalto ones from Lowe's. Our Home Depot didn't have any. I didn't see another brand so I don't know if they carry the other one. I have to get some more since I only got two boxes to start with so I'll check for the other brand next time.

As for re-coloring...it was only a bit of the purple (from the grapes in Sun Ripened II) that came off on the paper towel after I put water on and rubbed. So I don't think I'll have to do that. I'll just get to sealing. I remembered I had some of that Plaid sealant from Walmart from when I tried pearl ex. I'll start sealing them in the garage after Andy goes to shcool.

Thanks for all the help, ladies. I will leave one to sit for 48 hrs without sealant and see how it fares.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Emily - if you are in a crunch, don't color them in, just do the staz on and be done with it, they'll still look very elegant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:14 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
I had HUGE issues with tiles!!! lol I was using the ceramic finished ones tho..not knowing there were porus tumbled ones too!! lol So, I have gone thru the trials of colors running, changing, bleeding, rubbing off, and even tiles breaking!! lol (dont ask) :lol:
So, maybe it is the "type" of tumbled tile??? I didnt know they had all those different names to the tumbled ones.....so, Emily, i am right there with ya!!! lol I do know that my last ones that did not run or smear were the Bottchino (sp?) ones......(i just looked on the box ) lol

Do you know where you got those ones? And did you just bake the Bottochino ones? Or did you seal them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:15 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cat's Meow
Emily - if you are in a crunch, don't color them in, just do the staz on and be done with it, they'll still look very elegant.
And waste that pack of sharpies?!?!? No, really I was thinking that is what I'll do if this doesn't work...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:35 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

i did let them sit for about a half hour, then baked at 325 for about a half hour or so. I tend to forget they are in the oven, and i get into other stuff... :oops: :lol: ...i have left some in for hours.... :lol: :oops: and they were ok......lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

i got mine at Home Depot. They are rougher than the other tiles, and some are cracked or have holes in them that render the tile kinda useless , unless you are creative and turn the cracks and holes into the design!! I loved the cracked ones for a set of southwest tiles i made, cause the cracks go with the dry, desert theme.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:41 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

All right, I am dragging my 18 mo old and my 3 yo to Home Depot while the 4.5 yo is at preschool this morning! I sure hope they have them cause otherwise it was a ton of effort for nothing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Emily- I bought 6 boxes of the Bottochino tiles from Lowe's (aka tumbled marble). After i stamped with Stazon i put them in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 degree's. After they cooled i dunked them in water, rubbed them and nothing budged. They were such a hit with my dh employees. I'll definitly keep using that style tile, but now i have to find another Lowe's (bought um out) or wait till they get more in. BTW, the HD tumbled marble were WAY to "holey" and the image just looked bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:16 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Re: Baking Tiles does not seal them

Hello - I an definitely a "Tile Newbie" I'm going to attempt my first tile this weekend. I'm stocked with my Tumbled Tiles, Black Stazon and all the colors of Sharpies.

I'm nervous about coloring with the Sharpies, though. I still have nightmares about the first Christmas cards I did years ago as a brand new stamper - using markers! It definitely looked amateurish - at best.

Is there a trick or tip you can share when using the Sharpies to make the colors look pretty and blended?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Nancy
St. Cloud, FL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:43 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyloescards
I have tried about everything with the finished shiney tiles and I still have the ink come off. I used stazon and baked - no luck, sharpies and baked - no luck, sealer and they can still chunk off a little and I had troubles getting my sealer to look good (I used the patricia stuff and the other stuff I had at home). So if there is really a way to keep the stamped image on the shiney tiles I would love to know, I still have 1/2 a box of them.
From everything I've ever read on doing tiles (both types), the best way to do the shiny/slick tiles, is to actually stamp on tissue paper and decoupage the tissue to the tile, adding subsequent coats of the decoupage medium to seal and protect it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I learned to do both types of tiles (m)

The tumbled marble tiles ones are much easier and IMHO much classier looking - easier to work with - I use stazon and chalk - then seal them with a glossy coat - they are quite pourous - so they really soak in the ink. But using chalks - you have to seal them.

The matte finish (non glossy) floor tiles (ceramic - not marble) - I would use craft pads - bake them in an oven at 350 on a cookie sheet (LINED WITH foil if you ever want to use them again). Then cool them. Cover them with versamark and UTEE. Bake again. Cool, cover any spots with versamark and UTEE and bake again.

The nice thing about these (matte tiles) is you have many more options for coloring. You can use all your craft pad colors - you can sponge the background for an antique look - you can use your blender pen to color. It is really a nice look.

In the long run- I think the tumbled marble tiles are a much nicer look!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:56 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ok, I went to home depot and bought 3 boxes of the bottochino tiles, they are definately a different look that the others. I like them better too! So I am going to do one box and make sure I like them before I open the other boxes...unlike last time where I did them all and now I guess I'll have to seal them so I can do something with them. Thanks for all the help and I'll update when I get them done!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Emily - if you are using the Bottochino ones you don't need to seal them - at least those are the ones I have only ever used and have never had a problem and I haven't ever sealed my tumbled tiles...

You should be good to go now...

although that does make me wonder about the differences in tumbled tiles and sharpies...

Oh I packaged mine in a cello bag with some of that crinkle stuff all around it -looks cute...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
I loved the cracked ones for a set of southwest tiles i made, cause the cracks go with the dry, desert theme.....
Hey ScrappinChick, do you have a sample of the SW ones I can see? I have to make a set of these per request & I am just drawing a BLANK...the set I have to use is Ancient Art.
Thanks

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 07:50 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Ok, I went to home depot and bought 3 boxes of the bottochino tiles, they are definately a different look that the others. I like them better too! So I am going to do one box and make sure I like them before I open the other boxes...unlike last time where I did them all and now I guess I'll have to seal them so I can do something with them. Thanks for all the help and I'll update when I get them done!
For my tumbled tiles I've used a Krylon Clear Matte sealant. It doesn't add any shine to the tiles and they still absorb the "sweat" from the glasses. Good luck
James 1:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey ScrappinChick, do you have a sample of the SW ones I can see? I have to make a set of these per request & I am just drawing a BLANK...the set I have to use is Ancient Art.
Thanks[/quote]
here is the link!
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

All right, I am dragging my 18 mo old and my 3 yo to Home Depot while the 4.5 yo is at preschool this morning! I sure hope they have them cause otherwise it was a ton of effort for nothing!
They were discontinuing selling them a month or so ago. Hopefully they've changed their minds.

Not to be the voice of desention, but YOU CAN USE SEALED TILES AS COASTERS FOR COLD DRINKS!! I hate seeing people swear you can't. I do it all the time and have for a year. I've had absolutely no issues and neither have the people I've given them to. I've given a bunch of sets and have sets for each season. None of which have given me any problems. I use Patricia Nimock matte finish followed by gloss and they work fine. I don't have water accumulate or anything and I live in the south.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 03:46 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

I used the ones form home depot and usedthe vine and berry set with craft ink. they look great when they are a bit *rustic* looking.

I even did some with candy canes form teh tag team set. Very cute to use as trivets for the holiday table.

I was going to get the krylon matte finish spray and leave it up to my family how they use the tiles. hot, cold, wet, or dry, coasters or trivets.

I did not get the ones form Lowes. I was in a hurry and Home Depot was right next to Target and Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I didn't know there were different kinds of tumbled marble tiles! I guess I need to run down to my craft room and see which ones I have. They are not real "holey" and have a somewhat smooth surface. My mom picked them for me at HD a month ago and I just now got around to trying them! :o

Anyways, I had no problems with having to heat set them. I made 2 sets the other day using Frosty and colored in using Sharpies. I even took a damp cloth to it and nothing came off. I guess I got the right ones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

I am jealous that most of you have been able to pick out your tiles. I bought a set from HD but they come in a shrink wrap of 9. I just had to look at the edges to find one that weren't totally chipped. These are 4" botticino tiles. The tag says 1 sq. ft. I haven't opened these yet, I need too. I also bought a 'sheet' of the 1.5" tiles to make magnets. These aren't stuck together in any way, they are just semi attatched to a mesh background. I have pulled one off and they are fine.
What was it again that I should use to clean my stamps after using Staz-On? I don't really mind if my rubber is stained, is that the main problem of Staz-On?
Thank you for any help and advice!

Erika
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodles74
What was it again that I should use to clean my stamps after using Staz-On? I don't really mind if my rubber is stained, is that the main problem of Staz-On?
Thank you for any help and advice!

Erika

I got Stazon cleaner. They a spot for it at Michaels, but were out. I went to my LSS and got some. works great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:00 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Ok, I bought either 4 or 8 (can't remember) of the shiny ones. I don't even know what to look for. So when you say "tumbled tiles" does it say that on the box? If i ask an associate about tumbled tiles will they look at me like I have two heads?

And let me get this straight..... if I get the tumbled ones..... I can use stazon and sharpies. After doing the stazon I bake for how long Then I let them cool... color with sharpies and then bake again, how long
Then I don't need to seal.... right.

But for the glossy ones..... I don't need to bake, just seal or what?

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

To clean your stamps after using stazon you have afew choices- stazon cleaner which can be found at Michaels although it sells out fast, an old yoyo yellow dye ink pad works too. I have used rubbing alcohol at a stamp camp but don't do it often because the alcohol will eventually wreck your rubber. It would be a good idea to condition them after the alcohol maybe with a dab of glycerin or rub into alcohol free babywipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sometimes use a fingertip dipped in olive oil & rub it on the stamp, then I use an old stampin' scrub pad. I then do it one more time & then I scrub it with the SU cleaner. It takes the StazOn off pretty good.
I decided to use olive oil when I realized the StazOn cleaner feels just like oil. LOL

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well, here's my update.

I did the Bottochino tiles from Home Depot this morning. They look great. BUT, when I rub across the stazon or the sharpie part it gets on the paper towel a bit. It doesn't smudge the tile and the tile looks perfect, but it is still on the paper towel a bit. I will wait until tomorrow night and then try again. If it is just getting on the paper towel and not smudging, do you think I need to seal them or not? I have the Plaid sealant if I need to.

Reply With Quote Likes