Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Donnaml

Thanks Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #82  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnamlView Post
Thanks Kathy
You're welcome! I love your enthusiasm about all the products and sites and stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #83  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Bonnie, Thank you. I have no idea what I want (I want the ones that I see on everyones cards that they make LOL) I had no idea each one has their own name, that one is better than another, one stamps clearer than another that this ink is better than that ink. My head spins.Even cardstock, I didn't know there was different weights. I have learned some just by reading on this site, but I still get confused. And then I learn that you use punches to punch out you stamps. I need "Cardmaking For Idiots".
I got started by finding a cool sample in the SU! catty, then reproducing it. Up until a couple of years ago, the SU! catty provided the recipes for each sample in the catty. (is this info on the website now? maybe....) I'd order the items to make that card and then figure it out. I did that for awhile, then moved onto to CASEing samples that I liked -- a great way to work on technique without having to figure out color combinations or layout. After awhile of doing that, I was confident to change up my CASE and moved on from there until I found my own style.

I didn't do the challenges here -- something I regret. Sketch or color challenges are great ways to work within certain confines to make stamping more "manageable". Getting started was so intimidating because there are so many stamp companies to choose from. I think that my best piece of advice is to pick ONE COMPANY, then move on from there when you feel more confident.

I like SU! because everything matches. I know that the cs colors will match the inks, markers, ribbons, brads, buttons, etc. In past years I've branched out a little, buying Basic Gray paper from time to time and Crafty Secrets stamps, being the shabby/vintage-holic that I am. Other people like different companies because their images suit their styles. Find a couple of artists in the gallery that you admire, then note which stamp companies they gravitate to -- that'll help in your decision making, I think.

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Donna,
PM me your address and I'll share some of my stash with you.

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #85  
Proud Fan Club Member

Lisa, you can get the "recipes" for the catty online. That's how I got mine, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. Here's the one for the current catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #86  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Lisa, you can get the "recipes" for the catty online. That's how I got mine, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. Here's the one for the current catty.
Excellent, Kathy -- thanks!!

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Donna, more on the SU discussion. As Lisa mentioned, everything in SU matches from cardstock to ink to ribbon to brads to... Likely most companies carry their lines in the same way.

I started by getting SU back in the beginning of my crafting addiction, and I have stuck with it. There are many companies out there, with literally tons of stamp styles and products to sift through. I elimininate a lot of wasted time and money by sticking with one company. Yes, there are lots of lovely stamps out there. But I can't afford more than I can afford. I love SU; for the small budget I have, I stay within it and just get what I need maybe twice a year.

A lot of people love the variety of looking online and everywhere but for MY needs, I don't bother. What my eyes don't see, my heart doesn't want. (Although I'm not an impulse shopper anyway so I can browse painlessly.) I honestly don't want to take up a lot of time looking on dozens of sites and blogs.

We all develop our own style over time and you will as well. I can imagine right now you are like a butterfly flitting here and there, trying to take it all in, learn techniques, see who carries what... and it is overwhelming. You can't possibly get it all at once and good advice was already given- see who's galleries seem to speak most to you, see what they use for stamps/companies, what sort of embellishments catch your eye.

Take a deep breath and enjoy yourself! My DH doesn't call this craft The Cult for nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #88  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygirl40View Post
I got started by finding a cool sample in the SU! catty, then reproducing it. Up until a couple of years ago, the SU! catty provided the recipes for each sample in the catty. (is this info on the website now? maybe....)
I was just over at SU's site. I found this recipe: Celebrate Card Project Sample - by Stampin' Up!

I have seen other recipes on the stie too.

I am not an SU girl. Oh, I do love their products. Their stamps are the best quality I have ever owned. I love their punches. Least their old style punches. I haven't tried the new ones. I absolutely adore their inks. I am collecting things slowly. I just bought my first ream of paper a couple of months ago. I have been stamping for five years now. I really liked the paper but I tend to use more art paper now in my work. I was happy when I got to splurge and get SU paper. It's nice to have in my collection. I waited a long time to get it.

I only have a few SU stamp sets. I just bought Hello Doily. It was a big expense in my stamping budget. I actually have hemmed and hawed over that stamp since it came out. My DH told me tonight to get it and that was that. I have always had good taste in stamps. I have been really picky. I never had any stamping regrets. I still have over 95% of my collection. The ones I weeded through I just outgrew. When buying stamps I will buy one that is more expensive because I rather have one of a certain style and use it constantly. Than have 25 of similar styles and not use them. Really look at that when buying stamps.

With stamping companies coming out with all similar styles. Stick with the one you love most even if it's a bit more expensive.

I know this is kind of an upfront cost but when buying stamp pads always buy the reinker. I was told this when I started stamping. I was using inks at the time with no reinkers. What a waste of money when they dried up. Buying reinkers you will have that stamp pad for a lifetime. Reinkers last forever and you can do great technques with them.

My first large SU order was all their reinkers, SU markers, two punches and one stamp set. I am really glad I did it that way. It has saved me so much money in the long run. Now, I am collecting my ink pads slowly to go with my reinkers.

I don't stick with one company. I buy what inspires me and I know I will use. I am an eclectic artist and this works for me. I do understand the matching everything. It does take a lot of guess work out of what you want to do. You can create instead of fuss.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

Everyone, Thanks. Just went to the SU site, Doiley stamp is gorgeous I can see why you wanted it. SU seems to be the choice out there. Good advice on reinkers didn't even think about that until you mentioned it Dee Ann. Guess you would go thru alot of inkpads without them. And you are right, I was going from site to site looking at everything. I have decided to slow down and work with the few I have, learing to color them, learning to embellish with ribbon and such. The only thing I really keep going to look at is a couple of sizes of a scallop punch. I love making my own flowers, so I am using those too. I received a christmas ornament embossing folder from a woman and am using that to play around with Christmas cards. So, just playing and actually having a lot of fun working with what I have. But boy, you guys give some great advice, I have really learned alot on here.
As for the galleries. I am too busy Oooing and Ahhhing over everyones, I forget to even look at what stamps they use.
Before all of you, I always thought a stamp was a stamp. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #90  
Hardware Hotshot

Nestabilities or Punches? What do you ladies prefer? Wouldn't nestabilities give me more for my money? Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I love the way you layer your scalloped circles and such with a sentiment or small picture on them and then mount them on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #91  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
You can also go to the stampin up web site and look for a demonstrator in your area. They often have monthly classes for a small fee where you could go and make cards and try new techniques. It is a great way to keep learning with someone right there who not only knows how, but loves to share tips/techniques with others.
I am going to take your advice and check on an upcoming class, probably in November sometime this month is getting a little hectic right now. But I have come to the conclusion that that is my best advice to get started. I just don't want to be pressured into buying a lot of stuff right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #92  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Nestabilities or Punches? What do you ladies prefer? Wouldn't nestabilities give me more for my money? Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. I love the way you layer your scalloped circles and such with a sentiment or small picture on them and then mount them on the card.
Unfortunately, the answer to that is not that simple either. Assuming you have a die cutting machine, then nestabilities are a great option to get the most bang for your buck. That being said, sometimes, I would rather just quickly grab my circle punch and punch out my circle than dig through my nesties to find my circle dies, put them in my sandwich and through my Cuttlebug, then clean it all up and put it away. I find that there is room and need for both punches and dies. In fact, the last time I ordered something, I ordered 4 dies from Memory Box and 3 punches from SU!. I have a circle cutting system from Creative Memories (that is now going on almost 20 years old and still being well used & loved) that cuts circles from 3/4" to 5.5", but the one thing that always bothered me was there wasn't a 1&3/4" size, which I have found I needed on more than 1 occasion. So, I bought that size punch.

Also, you should be careful about what nesties you order and how you think you are going to use them. I have the scalloped ovals nesties, and love them, but I find that I only use 2 of the 5 dies with any regularity, as the other sizes are either too small or too large for any of my purposes.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #93  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Unfortunately, the answer to that is not that simple either. Assuming you have a die cutting machine, then nestabilities are a great option to get the most bang for your buck. That being said, sometimes, I would rather just quickly grab my circle punch and punch out my circle than dig through my nesties to find my circle dies, put them in my sandwich and through my Cuttlebug, then clean it all up and put it away. I find that there is room and need for both punches and dies. In fact, the last time I ordered something, I ordered 4 dies from Memory Box and 3 punches from SU!. I have a circle cutting system from Creative Memories (that is now going on almost 20 years old and still being well used & loved) that cuts circles from 3/4" to 5.5", but the one thing that always bothered me was there wasn't a 1&3/4" size, which I have found I needed on more than 1 occasion. So, I bought that size punch.

Also, you should be careful about what nesties you order and how you think you are going to use them. I have the scalloped ovals nesties, and love them, but I find that I only use 2 of the 5 dies with any regularity, as the other sizes are either too small or too large for any of my purposes.

Hope this helps!
Donami, Listen to Flash, here! My experience mimics her's only she said it better than I could.

One thing you should be aware of with nesties is, one set of ovals won't 'mat' itself - there is 1/4 inch between sizes - so if you want to make matted ovals, for example, you need two sets of different sizes, so the mats will be 1/8 around. I'm slowly collecting the new SU punches, because they're easy to store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #94  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, it does help. Thank you both.
Flash, you talked me out of Nestabilities. Actually, you both did. Punches it is. When I decide to buy some. Your right, easier to grab a punch rather than the cuttlebug and everything else with it just to use the Nestabilities. Glad I asked. Also, Linda, you make a good point with having to buy 2 sets just to mat and then probably not using all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have a few set of Nestabilities I hardly use. I think they are hassle. I just made all the Nestie fans faint, lol. I am lucky to have two die cutting machines: Cricut & Gazelle. I make my own Nesties on the die cutters. I am getting so good at centering on my die cutters that my Nesties keep collecting dust.

Plus, when I make my own Nesties I can size and layer them the way I want. Buying a die cutting machine is very expensive and a much more advanced tool.

I have a Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop punch. I would be lost without that punch. I use it constantly to make flowers and my scallops. I know I am more of a punch girl.

I agree with flash & rusty that die cutters and punches are both needed in the craft room. I know a lot of art stampers get overwhelmed by all the die cutters. They prefer to stay with simple stamping and coloring. I love both die cuts and stamps.

If you have a good scissor skills you can download lots of beautiful templates and SVG files. You can print them out and make your own die cuts. I do this a lot. I love to hand cut.

I have a favorite blog where she makes her own flowers, flourishes and scallops. She is a talented girl. Here's a card example she made her own scallop circle: *VIBGYOR Krafts*: Rotten Pumpkins in Glittery Goo. She also used Crayola markers on her creation too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Dee Ann. Checked out the blog, her cards are beautiful and I just love her flowers. I too like to make my own and am always looking for new ones to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #97  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will add that I also prefer punches, just because of the ease and speed... I do have a cuttlebug though, and a few folders that I use for embossing. I do love to emboss and the CB works great for that. I got a pgk of nesties on sale once, and rarely use them because I want to have the other set too, for matting but I don't have the other one and somehow they don't look as finished otherwise.

I have 3 bigger die cutters that I use in my CB, as well as some small ones, like the leavs and butterflies.

So for me, the punches work best for cutting out the shapes I want, although it takes time to build up your collection. The CB or Big SHot is best for me for embossing or cutting more specialized shapes. But I have to be in the mood to pull it all out.

Donna, you sound as if you are rapidly finding your place, deciding on what you what to use, and generally feeling more informed. That's great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #98  
Hardware Hotshot

It's all thanks to all of you. Without you, I would be so lost and spending money needlessly. So, thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #99  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

It's all thanks to all of you. Without you, I would be so lost and spending money needlessly. So, thank you.
I wish I had found SCS and all of you BEFORE I started shopping! I've been at it for about two years now and am to the point where I am giving away hasty buys and starting to really think it through before I purchase. I use my 50% off coupons on adhesives or things I know I will definately need. I'm glad you found us early, Donna. It sure will help on the budget. I recommend doing Youtube searches before purchases too. You'd be amazed at the tutorials that can help you decide if something is worth buying...just type in the product you are looking for and watch...there's a tutorial for most everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #100  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy,
I never thought about Youtube for product buying, I do use it to watch different videos but not that. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #101  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Kathy,
I never thought about Youtube for product buying, I do use it to watch different videos but not that. Thanks for the info.
I was just checking out the Crop a Dile...still not sure yet, and it looks like they have a Crop A Dile III out now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #102  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I was just checking out the Crop a Dile...still not sure yet, and it looks like they have a Crop A Dile III out now!
I purchased the basic Crop A Dile about 2 weeks ago because I was making these receipe books and didn't have anything to punch the holes with or attach the fasteners (I know thats not the correct name for them). I use 2 potholders (can't remember where I found the idea for them, some website) and then covered some cut cereal boxes with DP (I'm even getting the abreviations down, LOL) and then printed some receipe cards and attached them to each page, decorated the pages and then used rings to bind it all together. I gave one to my daughter when she went away to college. I makes a nice recipe book for someone. But anyway, sorry went off on a tangent. I believe everything eventually comes out with new and improved and better just to get us to buy it. And, they always have that little extra that we feel "we just have to have it". Mine didn't cost that much and I had 50% off, but I still felt guilty hitting that "buy" button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #103  
Proud Fan Club Member

Everything is like that today. Bigger and better and you really must buy it. Computers upgrade systems, cell phones have more gadgets, crafting tools improve based on consumer input...I guess I should learn to wait when something new comes out because they are still working out all the bugs. Round two is sure to be even better. I would like a good hole puncher. The handle springs break on the ones I have. I would like one that can be changed to several different sizes. I did look at one tool someone mentioned. It has a rotating head and each stop has a different size hole punch. I think it's made by We R Memory Keepers...I Youtubed it once, but may look again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #104  
Hardware Hotshot

I had every intention of working on a card to make tonight. I don't get anything accomplished when I get on here. I spend so much time looking at cards everyone makes and reading the different threads that my night is gone before I know it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #105  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I will add that I also prefer punches, just because of the ease and speed... I do have a cuttlebug though, and a few folders that I use for embossing. I do love to emboss and the CB works great for that. I got a pgk of nesties on sale once, and rarely use them because I want to have the other set too, for matting but I don't have the other one and somehow they don't look as finished otherwise.
I love to emboss. Those embossing folders are a must have supply for me. I rely on my CB for embossing. Dealing with Nesties drives me crazy. Set up the sandwich recipe for cutting. Set up the sandwich recipe for embossing and then do this over again so you can mat, lol. My hats off to all the Nesties girls who do this so easy. I want to color. I agree one set the sizing looks off. Then you get the other set and the sizing still looks off to me. I am picky, lol.

Quote:

Kathy,
I do this too. My DH got me hooked on this when he was doing research for his phone. My DH is very picky about what he buys. He does a lot of You Tube.research. Now, I watch videos and Google Image what exactly I want to do with that item. Try to look for tutorials what you want to with the product and not what the product does. The biggest enabling comes from a video or tutorial where you see a cool technique. You buy the item, get it home and think "Well, this was a cool technique but I don't want to do it again." Now, your stuck with a one use item that cost a pretty penny.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #106  
Hardware Hotshot

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

Ok, here is my dilema, At JoAnns on line, I have in my shopping cart, a 3" and 2" scalloped circle paper punch (Fiskars). They are on sale at a good price. I need to know today, should I hit "buy"? I have had my eye on them for a long time because I just love what I see being made with them. And, I can use them to make flowers. I just HATE paying shipping on anything. It always makes a good price look worse. I always think if I had one of these craft stores by me, I would get a fantastic deal. But having to order on line just kills it sometimes. I have an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other and boy are they fighting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #108  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Ok, here is my dilema, At JoAnns on line, I have in my shopping cart, a 3" and 2" scalloped circle paper punch (Fiskars). They are on sale at a good price. I need to know today, should I hit "buy"? I have had my eye on them for a long time because I just love what I see being made with them. And, I can use them to make flowers. I just HATE paying shipping on anything. It always makes a good price look worse. I always think if I had one of these craft stores by me, I would get a fantastic deal. But having to order on line just kills it sometimes. I have an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other and boy are they fighting.
I think you have answered your own question!!! If you have really thought about it, know what you want to do with it and it has multiple uses for you, and you can get a good price that fits within your budget, then I say go for it.

With regard to your question about scallopped circle punches specifically, from my personal experience, I have two different sized scalloped circle punches (both from SU!). I use them both tons, and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again if something happened and they got lost. They are very versatile, and I think you won't be sorry with the purchase.

I sympathize with you on the online ordering thing - for me though it is the high shipping costs because I live in Canada, and the shipping internationally is brutal in most cases. There are stores in my area, but the cost of items is usually the same as it is online because the store embeds the shipping cost that they incurred into the price of the item.

If you do order them - enjoy them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #109  
Hardware Hotshot

OK, you talked me into it. Done!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #110  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

I guess everyone does differently to some extent when it comes to cardmaking or scrapbooking. I actually prefer the variety of different brands and companies. I have a little SU, some CTMH, and many other brands. I love the Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart (cheaper and works great!). I usually buy cardstock at Walmart or Hobby Lobby in packages, as it's cheaper and serves my needs well. I started out with templates to cut my shapes out, and am very tempted to go back to using them, as they were simpler and easy to store and use. After I had been scrapbooking/cardmaking for some time, I did purchase a Cricut. I like it a lot, but could definately have made it without it; use it more with scrapbooking. I know Creative Memories used to sell a circle and oval template (I still see them on ebay and etsy), that is if you have a good steady hand and cut well with scissors.
You can sometimes come across great finds at yardsales and thrift stores. I saw cards for sale at a yardsale for .10, and I thought I'd never use them, so I passed them up, but when I got home, I could've kicked myself. I could have saved the envelopes for the cards I make and used the boxed cards for something else. You can also find buttons, pretty ribbons and other neat stuff at the thrift stores. A friend of mine has found SU and other brands of stamps on rare occasions. I have bought some nice stamp sets at yard sales that were never used and still in the original packaging and other cool supplies. If I was just starting out, I would keep it simple. The longer you are involved in it, the more you can learn what your style is and what will suit your needs best. It's too easy at first to want to get it all, and then find out later, a lot didn't fit your style or needs. This hobby can also be a space hog and a money hog, so I agree with the previous poster's advice about weighing purchases carefully. It is a fun hobby though; just like going back to grade school, cutting paper and coloring! These are the things I use the most and would start with (basics):
*Ruler
*X-acto knife
*Fiskars cutter
*Self healing cutting mat
*Cardstock-white and colored
*Bic Mark-it markers
*Coloring pencils
*Black stamp ink pad
*Templates to cut out oval/round and basic shapes
*Photo tabs or double sided tape (or glue)
*small pair of scissors for cutting
*sentiment stamps
*a few stamp sets you just adore
*bone folder (or other objects mentioned in earlier posts for folding)
At a later date, I would also purchase some SU blending pens; they work great with watercolor pencils and chalks. YouTube and SU and CTMH classes are great learning tools!
You might also later even consider digital stamps (if you like them), there are lots of awesome digi stamps and coloring page images that can be sized to fit cards. I enjoy using those also.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 10-20-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I love the Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart (cheaper and works great!). I usually buy cardstock at Walmart or Hobby Lobby in packages, as it's cheaper and serves my needs well. I started out with templates to cut my shapes out, and am very tempted to go back to using them, as they were simpler and easy to store and use.
I love Georgia Pacific cardstock too. That is a must have for me.

Templates- Yes! I love templates. I still keep making them. I use them constantly. It's so much easier and cheaper too. I think my work looks more elegant.

When I bought all the expensive items I felt like my items were not elegant. Isn't that funny? I have seen elegant creations with expensive tools and toys. My items always fell short of that. I think it was because I psyched myself out. You know the whole mentality "Oh, my creation has to be amazing since I paid a billion dollars for this tool."

I stopped and went back to simple.

hoptownracer- My basic supply list mimics yours a lot.

I have a lot of patience when I am creating. I don't mind going the long route with making things. I find it relaxing. I know time can be short for a lot of people. Those shortcut tools come in handy. I know my DH is addicted to them, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #112  
Hardware Hotshot

Dee Ann,
How do you "make" your own templates?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #113  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Dee Ann,
How do you "make" your own templates?
I have a Bosskut Gazelle & Cricut that I use to make my templates. I can use better template material with those machines. I use a lot of acetate and thinner stencil material. The type of stencil material you can get in WalMart. I mainly use acetate since I save it from packages. I have also used chipboard.

That is my fancy way of making templates. You can find all sorts of beautiful templates online for free. All you need to do is print them out and hand cut.

Here's two of my favorite template sites: Jersgirls Computer Craft and Rubber Stamp Templates & Mirkwood Designs - Templates

If you have a vector drawing program such as Inkscape, Illustrator or Corel Draw you can design your own templates. Print & Cut. I use Inkscape for all my template designing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #114  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

That's a great idea about making your own templates! I had thought about just cutting out some basic shapes that I don't have templates for; thanks for the links. I've gotten some really useful advice and cool links from this thread!
So glad you started it! I am amazed that there is always something new to learn with this hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #115  
Matboard Maniac

Like a couple of others have said, I personally prefer to dip into the huge variety that there is out there. SU is good, but I would never limit myself to just one company when it comes to stamps.

Check out Lawn Fawn, Paper Trey Ink, Hero Arts, Unity, CTMH, Stamping Bella....the list goes on...I'm just naming a few off the top. They all have websites and a quick Google search will get you there.

It is the same with papers, inks, and tools. Do some price comparisons and don't forget to check Amazon! They carry a lot of stamp/craft stuff through their partners and you can get some great prices there.

I also have to show some love for Nesties. They are wonderful! Unlike punches that typically only punch, they also emboss and you can use them to stencil. Storage is a lot easier too, since they take up hardly any space.

As for their ability to "mat"...I guess it depends completely on what you are going for. There is no rule, however, that a mat has to be 1/8". You can mat however you like. They are very easy to use, but you do have to have a machine to run them through; Cuttlebug, Big Shot, etc. Just getting started, you may not be ready to make that investment yet.

Punches are great too. I am loving the Martha Stewart and EK Success punches right now. Both companies have websites that you can check out. They have some fabulous border punches!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #116  
Hardware Hotshot

I never thougth about using nesties for stencils. That is a good idea. I have purchased a
Cuttlebug. I had been looking at one for a long time and finally got it. I love it.

Dee Ann, yes, thank you for the wonderful links I have checked them out a bit but plan to really check them out later.

Hoptownracer1, I am really glad I started this thread also. I have gotten a ton of great advice from everyone that has responded. They are all such wonderful people. And I am also glad someone else has gotten something from it also. I would have been so lost without them.

I have also learned that there are a lot of sites to check out which sometimes can be overwhelming but I now know to check different ones before deciding on what I would like and want.

So, Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #117  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

what program do you use for printing out recipes for swaps? I have such a hard time making sizes that I want. I know there has to be something simple out there.
Reply With Quote Likes