Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner's Kit?

Hi! My sister has dealt with major health issues ever since her kidneys failed about 25 years ago. She has been doing pretty well with the latest transplant, but also has diabetes and is currently fighting a bout of pancreaitis. In fact, she was hospitalized for that twice just this month. The last time we spoke she seemed so tired and a bit depressed. I'd really like to cheer her up.

She asked about my "rubber stamp thingy." Has no idea what it's all about, but said if we lived closer she'd be interested in coming over to try it out. Unfortunately, she is in Florida and I'm in Michigan so I can't just bring my own stuff over to play with her and show her the "how-tos."

I want to put a kind of "beginner's kit" together for her. What should I include? Here's what I have on my list so far...

Cardstock in white and colors
Scraps of cardstock and print papers, (including some punched pieces)
Personal paper trimmer (looking for suggestions)
Versamark pad
Black dye inkpad
Stampin' Scrub pad
Stampin' Mist
Cutterbee scissors
a few pieces of ribbon
some assorted brads
Stickles (what color?)
Colored pencils
small chalk set (pastel colors maybe?)
Embossing powder (clear or colored?)
Mono adhesive
a pkg. of card sized envelopes
a couple of stamp sets - (looking for suggestions)
a set with mostly words - (looking for suggestions)

Is there something else I should absolutely include?
Would you pre-fold some card bases for her, or have her do it herself?

I think if she comes to this site, she can get plenty of instruction and see lots of sample cards. Hopefully that will be enough to get her started. Sorry the post is long, but I would appreciate any advice you can share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

How about a heat gun, since you have embossing powders on your list. I only have a few bottles of stickles, but I started with a clear color that can go on anything. You are doing a very nice act of kindness sending her all of those supplies, I hope she will be ok.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

This does not answer your question exactly - but I know I was pretty overwhelmed when I started to stamp. Does she live in an area where there might be some beginner's classes at a store - I know I have been to some free/inexpensive make and takes that helped me know what to do. Or maybe a demo class (SU)? It helped me a lot when I had the hands on experience.

Another thought - the WishRAK group here on SCS is awesome. She can get a variety of images with not so much invested in stamps. You must first join RAK, which takes a couple of weeks for approval. Then you send your info to a WishRAK leader. You can make up to 3 requests to start, then earn bonus wishes by sending stamped images or various other items requested by members. If you do a search using "WishRAK" you should find a lot of examples. (Or look at my gallery which has a lot of such items.) Sorry this is so long - I get excited about sharing my ideas!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

What about one of the Simply Sent kits?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
This does not answer your question exactly - but I know I was pretty overwhelmed when I started to stamp. Does she live in an area where there might be some beginner's classes at a store - I know I have been to some free/inexpensive make and takes that helped me know what to do. Or maybe a demo class (SU)? It helped me a lot when I had the hands on experience.

Another thought - the WishRAK group here on SCS is awesome. She can get a variety of images with not so much invested in stamps. You must first join RAK, which takes a couple of weeks for approval. Then you send your info to a WishRAK leader. You can make up to 3 requests to start, then earn bonus wishes by sending stamped images or various other items requested by members. If you do a search using "WishRAK" you should find a lot of examples. (Or look at my gallery which has a lot of such items.) Sorry this is so long - I get excited about sharing my ideas!
Definitely more embellishments, (brads, primas, eyelets)! What about some punch outs for her use? Rub ons?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would start very simple. A set like Year Round Fun, Very Punny (last year's Sellabration set), or Just Celebrate (from the occasions mini coming up) with stamps and greetings that go together. I prefer markers instead of pastels, but that's a personal preference I think.

So I'd get her 1 set
1 package of white or vanilla cardstock
1 package of colored cardstock (assorted)
1 family of markers
a black dye inkpad
Envelopes
Personal Trimmer
Adhesive

I also like someone else's suggestion of a Simply sent kit. Super easy and less overwhelming for her!

Good luck, and hope she enjoys it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

This is a wonderful idea. Nothing takes you away from your troubles like creating something. How about including a technique scrapbook. Make up
6"x6" pages with a single technique on each one. Include a sample, the instructions and then any extras needed. Use the staamps you are sending her for the examples. This way she gets several ideas for each stamp set. I spent a lot of time sitting with my mother, at night, in the nursing home and I took my CTMH stamps with me. They pack small and were easier to carry and store. But remember, no matter what you send, your sister will be thrilled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchrmomView Post
Hi! My sister has dealt with major health issues ever since her kidneys failed about 25 years ago. She has been doing pretty well with the latest transplant, but also has diabetes and is currently fighting a bout of pancreaitis. In fact, she was hospitalized for that twice just this month. The last time we spoke she seemed so tired and a bit depressed. I'd really like to cheer her up.

She asked about my "rubber stamp thingy." Has no idea what it's all about, but said if we lived closer she'd be interested in coming over to try it out. Unfortunately, she is in Florida and I'm in Michigan so I can't just bring my own stuff over to play with her and show her the "how-tos."

I want to put a kind of "beginner's kit" together for her. What should I include? Here's what I have on my list so far...

Cardstock in white and colors
Scraps of cardstock and print papers, (including some punched pieces)
Personal paper trimmer (looking for suggestions)
Versamark pad
Black dye inkpad
Stampin' Scrub pad
Stampin' Mist
Cutterbee scissors
a few pieces of ribbon
some assorted brads
Stickles (what color?)
Colored pencils
small chalk set (pastel colors maybe?)
Embossing powder (clear or colored?)
Mono adhesive
a pkg. of card sized envelopes
a couple of stamp sets - (looking for suggestions)
a set with mostly words - (looking for suggestions)

Is there something else I should absolutely include?
Would you pre-fold some card bases for her, or have her do it herself?

I think if she comes to this site, she can get plenty of instruction and see lots of sample cards. Hopefully that will be enough to get her started. Sorry the post is long, but I would appreciate any advice you can share.
-If you get her watercolor pencils you could also get her an aqua pen or some blender pens.

Where in Florida does your sister live? If you don't mind me asking. A friend of mine has a group that meets once a month or so and maybe your sister could go. We are in the Orlando area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely prescore/fold the card bases for her. Also what about sending her a little card kit. Not the simply sent kits, but if you made her a kit from a card you have made and include all the embellishments and a copy of your card. This way you could send her stuff frequently also instead of just all at once which depending on her situation might be overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

If she is going to start stamping what about a stampamajig? It really helps ease the frustration of missing!

What about a wheel?

My suggestion would also be clear embossing powder. As for pastels I wonder if this is too soon? They can be quite off putting if you don't know how to use them.
What about a kit with a sketch and maybe a finished sample-put together by you- with everything she needs and a finished card? That way she can gain some confidence whilst producing her first master piece.

Also maybe send stuff out in stages as she becomes more confident you can send the second instalment. So she isn't overwhelmed by all of this stuff. You could make it like a mini series, with instructions and projects accompanying each new technique you send out.

Sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I bet if you found an SU demo in her area and explained the situation, she might be willing to meet with your sisiter and show her a few steps to get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Actually, I think a simply sent kit is an excellent idea. Maybe one of those, plus a trimmer and an extra pack of cardstock.

Then, if she likes it, you can get her more items down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I think the Stampin' Spots are great for someone just starting to stamp to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote for a Simply Sent kit, or even two, this would give her all the supplies for quite a few cards. Then, if she likes it, you can just add some paper and a few embellishments and she will be all set again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

What a wonderfully sweet idea! As soon as I saw the title my first thought was a Simply Sent kit too. They have EVERYTHING she needs to make the cards including adhesive and embellishments and step by step instructions to make the cards. And they are in a cute box that you can refill for her when she runs out of the consumables in the kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

How about some card magazines to give her ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all so much! I guess it would be a little overwhelming to get too many things all at once. You've given me a lot of great suggestions. I just hope a new hobby will help her forget her troubles for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
Definitely prescore/fold the card bases for her. Also what about sending her a little card kit. Not the simply sent kits, but if you made her a kit from a card you have made and include all the embellishments and a copy of your card. This way you could send her stuff frequently also instead of just all at once which depending on her situation might be overwhelming.
This is exactly what I was thinking - send one stamp set with samples and the supplies needed to recreate the example(s). You could send her additional kits with a new sample and the supplies needed; you wouldn't need to include a new stamp set each time if you choose a versatile set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I too was going to say you may be giving her to much if she is a beginner. One thing I thought to include was some sketch ideas. I found (somewhere on here) a lot of sketch ideas. I printed it off and keep it for ideas.

Have you thought about a RAK for her? We could all send her a card and that would lift her spirit and give her ideas.

What a wonderful sister to think of this for her. Oh, one more suggestion send it in a container so she has a place to keep it all together!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I would agree with the recommendation for clear embossing powder. She can then emboss in any color by using the versamark pad before using the classic ink, and then embossing. This works pretty well.
I sent my sister in Fl. a simply sent kit last year, and it got her started. I just sent her a box with more paper, SU DP, ribbon, and markers, as well as some versatile sellabration sets from years gone by. I hope it will keep her going. She has had health problems recently as well. I hope to get down there sometime this year to get some stampin' done.
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes