Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best sellers?

Crafter sellers, what, in your experience are your best "cheap" sellers and "expensive" sellers at craft shows?

I'm contemplating doing a craft show but can't afford to waste money making things that wont sell (obviously, who can right?).
TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a couple of threads in Techniques that are AWESOME and give a lot of information. Check it out!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I find that the inexpensive things do tend to sell well. Especially with papercrafting stuff. People just wont pay alot of money for our stuff like they would jewelry or decorating stuff.

I used to do 4-5 a year but have cut it down to 2. I find ones in the spring and summer just dont generate as much interest or sales as those between now and Christmas. My first one is this weekend. Then I have another on Dec. 3. The one this weekend is a 2 day event, which is my first 2-day event so I am anxious to see how it goes.

My things that sell best are (and I havent done a craft fair this year, but I have one coming up this weekend so I will post afterwards about what sold at this one):

* Post-it note holders - I usually kind of switch up my designs each year. This year they are post its in a covering that folds over and magnetically closes. I have a mini gel pen with them. I sell these anywhere from $3.50 -$5. Mine are $5 each or 3 for $13 this year because of the extra work on them. Mini post-it note holders are $2 each or 3 for $5. These are little post it notes and have no pens.

* Desktop Calendars - these are made out of those acrylic picture holders and I put 4 inserts with me. Season type inserts. $7 each or 3 for $20

* Candy/Other treats - Anything cheap and with candy sells. I do test tube treats (mine this year are Magic Reindeer Food and Snowman Poop), Grinch Pills, Rudolph's Spare Nose, Snowman Soup, etc. I will sell these 75 cents - $1. Think small and cheap. It's an easy thing to give co-workers.

* Magnets - Glass tile, domino or scrabble tile. I decorate with paper and glue a magnet on the back. Anywhere from $1 to $5 in price range depending.

* Scrabble Tile Pendants - Have some chains to go with them to (think Hobby Lobby when they have their jewelry 50% off). $3 each or $5 for a necklace.

* Beaded Pens - $2 each

* Covered Notebooks or Journals with a matching pen - $5 each or 3 for $12.
I just buy the small ones from Michael's ($1 or cheaper if you catch them on clearance for 50 cents like I did). I get just plain colored ones and you can cover them front and back with DSP.

*Cards - I dont sell a ton of cards but I take them anyway. I am doing mine for $2 each or 3 for $5, but I do fairly simple cards.

Some new things I am trying this year so I will post back to let you know how they sell.

* Mini Sewing Kits - Michael's has these in their $1 section. I covered them with some sewing paper, tied them with bakers twine and put a tag on them that says "Sew Glad We're Friends"

* Obscure Holidays CD case Calendar - $7 each or 3 for $20. These are new for me this year but feedback has been good. They are a 12 month calendar, so 12 pages. I printed them off on white cardstock and have a regular calendar and then at the top, where its blank, I put 6 days that celebrate obscure and weird holidays. I put my funny observations next to them.

* "Chanel" Compact Notepad and Lipstick Pen - saw this on here and just had to try it! They are uber cute and I think they will sell well. I packaged mine in a clear plastic box and tied with ribbon and have a "to/from" tag on it.The ones I saw on here were not "Chanel" but I made mine that way by putting the CC logo on there. The first page of the post-it note pad has the SU saying from the Classy & Fabulous set by Coco Chanel. These turned out AWESOME but were alot of work. I am selling them $7 each or 3 for $20.

* Mini Clothespin Butterfly Magnets - $1 each.

Okay, sorry for such a long post! I'll post back after this weekend and give an update on what sold well this time around. It varies from year to year to year. You just NEVER know!! LOL I say the one thing is to follow the trends and see whats out there. I try to do a variety because my "style" tends to be clean and simple and I love using fun, bright colors. But I also make things that are "vintagey" or shabby chic and also simple and muted colors. Just cuz I like bold and bright, its certainly not everyone's taste and I try to remember that.

Last edited by kspiv; 11-10-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Kelly,
Thanks for the info! Please do reply back afterwards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, Kelly....that was a helpful post. You ROCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I know there is a whole thread on this in one of the forums but I can't remember which one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2 threads in the Techniques Forum --- LOTS of info

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Found it! craft sale best sellers? Let's make a listing! Please by margit at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My friend just did a craft show last week and she did a very good blog post about it here.

Christmas in the Country Art & Craft Show! � Kirstys cards ‘n’ scrapping

You can see the displays. She talks about what were the best sellers and how she priced some of her items. Note - we're in Australia, so take that into consideration when you read the dollars and cents amounts.

This craft event is well known, organized and advertized and it has a high attendance of people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
My friend just did a craft show last week and she did a very good blog post about it here.

Christmas in the Country Art & Craft Show! � Kirstys cards �n� scrapping

You can see the displays. She talks about what were the best sellers and how she priced some of her items. Note - we're in Australia, so take that into consideration when you read the dollars and cents amounts.

This craft event is well known, organized and advertized and it has a high attendance of people.
WOW! That was incredible. Your friend is TALENTED, and her husband so crafty as well Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes