Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware if you subscribe to Cards, etc

Ever had one of those days?! I'm having one. Actually, that's not quite true. Most of my day has been fine. I am just frustrated right now. I have been fighting with Northridge Media (CARDS, Handmade, Scrapbook Trends, etc.) about my subscription for months and just got another email from them. I had subscribed to their Cards and Paper Trends a couple years ago. Things went well until I decided I was not renewing my subscription this year. I've heard the horror stories about how they charge customers without their permission (their so called Platinum Subscriber program) and then the customers ended up fighting with them for months to get their money back. When I got an email back in April asking if I wanted to renew, I promptly emailed them back telling them no. I decided to check my credit card just in case based upon the stories I've heard. They charged my card before they even sent the email! I tried calling them and got no answer so I reported the unauthorized charge to my credit card company and they took care of it.

Flash forward to the end of June. I got another email from them telling me they were going to renew my subscription since I am a platinum subscriber (which by the way was put in place after I subscribed to their magazines so I didn't choose to subscribe that way) if I didn't email and let them know I did not want to renew. I emailed them again and told them do not renew.

I just got another email from them today. I am beyond sick of this!! The email was from the same guy who said my account was just handed over to him and he wanted to give me one last chance to renew. Hello?! He said the same thing last month and I already answered! I am sick of fighting with this company. I wish they would just get it through their heads! They can't keep ripping off their customers and expect to stay in business! I will never again subscribe to one of their magazines, never again purchase a single magazine from their company, and never submit one more card to them! I am ready to pull my hair out with these people!

I don't think I have ever ranted about something on SCS before, but I am just sick of this. If you subscribe, beware and be prepared for a battle when you don't want to renew. If you're thinking about subscribing, definitely beware.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the warning, I had not heard about these issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Oh ouch!!!! So sorry this has happened to you, and thank you for the heads up. I just started subscribing to them again and I hope I don't have this happen to me. I have almost 10 months left on my subscription, so I'll keep an eye out for renewal emails. I hope everything works out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry to hear you have had this to go through and I hope it feels better to have vented (I had my first rant the other day so I know how you're feeling - but yours experience is worse!). Thanks for taking the time to fill in other members so they can be aware of the problems.

I had the same issue with Readers' Digest. I wrote "Cancel" so many times on my renewal forms (which is what they said to do - and I would have called but could never find a number!) but they kept sending bills and notices. I had always paid by check, so they couldn't just charge me. I repeatedly wrote notes on the slips and refused to pay. Finally they stopped. It was months. Frustrating!

Hope you are able to get it straightened around soon. Don't they know who they are dealing with LOL!!? You wield some power around here, baby!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cards Etc. is not the only publisher that does this, sadly. DH subbed to Sports Illustrated but stopped when he discovered they auto-renewed without his knowledge. IMO it is shady and wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I get Cards but only because it was a gift for the next two years...the sad thing is I dont even like the magazine...I always page though it and give it to my two sisters.
I am sorry so many are having issues..
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

It is very frustrating when you try to cancel something and find it's been renewed. I hope you get it straightened out and get your money back.
My DH was getting repeated phone messages that his fishing magazine was up for renewal, and notices in the mail. He didn't know to look at the label for the expiration date. He's good until 2032. I told them if he lives that long we'll think about renewing.
Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Man, I bet they employ the same people who try get you to buy the car extended warranties. I hope they understand how many people will *not* be signing up for their magazine because of this exact reason! And it's not like we're talking about some $10-a-year subscription, either! Grrrr!

(I must admit it was kind of funny seeing your bright, smiling face next to a mean rant...hope you are back to feeling more like your avatar!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Man, I bet they employ the same people who try get you to buy the car extended warranties. I hope they understand how many people will *not* be signing up for their magazine because of this exact reason! And it's not like we're talking about some $10-a-year subscription, either! Grrrr!

(I must admit it was kind of funny seeing your bright, smiling face next to a mean rant...hope you are back to feeling more like your avatar!)
lol Thanks for the laugh!!:mrgreen: I am feeling better about it. I am just ready to be done dealing with this company.

Thanks everyone for all your comments! Hopefully, sharing my experience will help save someone else from having to go through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I was going to subscribe....you all have me rethinking?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking of subscribing too...thanks for the warning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Lots of magazines do this - it's enough to put you off subscribing to anything! If I do subscribe I am careful to write "do not auto reneiw" on my initial subscription and I pay by check so they can't charge me.

I also start getting renewal notices almost as soon as my first issue! Used to make me think I was really loosing my mind until I started to check out the expiration date on the labels.

Sad, really. I'm not sure why anyone thinks this type of underhanded treatment is going to make them any money or win them any customers :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

I didn't know CARDS was like this, but I'm not surprised. As others have mentioned, many magazines are like this with auto renewal programs, sending multiple renewal notices, etc. I deal with quite a few magazine subscriptions through my school, and at one point, we were getting 3 People subscriptions because they kept sending so many darn renewal warnings!!! It can be very frsutrating dealing with stuff like this. Hope everything works out for you, Niki!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree all these tactics are wrong, wrong. It sounds like the magazines are suffering just like the other print media, newspapers. The internet, cable and blogs have really taken a bite of their business.

This is no way to hang on to the customers they still have.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I had this problem getting statements from a mag I never subsribed to. They threatened to send me to a collection agency. I finally wrote a letter to the president of the company and it stopped. Ticked me off!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for the warning, some may call it bad mouthing but I call it helping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #17  

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, Niki! And thanks for the warning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #18  
Vintage Vixen

I would be fuming, too!! Give 'em h-e-l-l. :twisted:

:p

I currently don't subscribe to any magazines. But if I were to start, I would NOT use my credit card to pay for the subscription. I would even be concerned about writing a check anymore, since if someone has your bank routing number and checking account number they could try to pass through an electronic payment without your permission.

Thank goodness the post office still sells money orders. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffguamView Post
I was going to subscribe....you all have me rethinking?
I haven't had any troubles with this magazine at all. I did stop for a while and started up again when I saw how they were starting to branch out and show cards from many of the newer companies. But I personally didn't have any problems canceling.

The magazine is a beautiful publication and they support many of the stamp companies that got their start here at SCS. They have even featured some of the designers that are well-known in the SCS community.

I hope you get your issue worked out Niki. I know that can be frustrasting as heck when you are trying to cancel a subscription to a magazine and it seems to take forever to get it all sorted out.

I also hope everyone decideds whether or not to subscribe based on whether or not they like the magazine, as each of us will have different experiences.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

My theary...don't EVER give your credit card # to these companys. If you want to subscribe....WRITE A CHECK!!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

"I currently don't subscribe to any magazines. But if I were to start, I would NOT use my credit card to pay for the subscription. I would even be concerned about writing a check anymore, since if someone has your bank routing number and checking account number they could try to pass through an electronic payment without your permission."

This just happen to me because I used a check on a, I thought a one time charge and they have now hit my account for three month in a roll. It cost me to have the bank block it. No more checks for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I absolutely agree that the magazine itself is beautiful and has featured lots of amazing companies and designers. It's the business practices of the company that I don't agree with.

I hope that my message didn't come across as just bashing the company. I tried to keep most of my opinions (although I know my opinion is pretty apparent as I was venting also) about the company to myself and just post the facts of what I've been going through with the company. I don't think I have ever posted a negative post about a company before on SCS. I am just very frustrated with this company because I have been dealing with this for months now. I have read many similar posts on Two Peas. If you do a search over there, you will find many people who have had the same experience with this company.
I agree that we should all base things on our own experiences, but I also like to read about others' experiences before purchasing from a company I don't know. I know I personally often read the threads here to learn about new great companies and what ones I should avoid. This post was intended as a way to share my experience (and, yes, I was definitely venting, too. )

Last edited by NikiE; 07-28-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

There's nothing wrong with stating the facts about an experience you've had with a company. It's when people sort of edge over into making statements like "They ripped me off! They're crooks! They stole my money!" that it gets tough for the board owners. But stick to the facts of what happened...that's not a problem.

And as a matter of fact, lol, the same thing happened to me with Cards magazine, among others (even Oprah, sadly...). I think it's just the industry norm anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
My theary...don't EVER give your credit card # to these companys. If you want to subscribe....WRITE A CHECK!!! Karen
When you use your credit card the credit card company will handle all disputes for you and you will not have to pay any charges you think are wrong. If you write a check I don't think a bank will do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
There's nothing wrong with stating the facts about an experience you've had with a company. It's when people sort of edge over into making statements like "They ripped me off! They're crooks! They stole my money!" that it gets tough for the board owners. But stick to the facts of what happened...that's not a problem.

And as a matter of fact, lol, the same thing happened to me with Cards magazine, among others (even Oprah, sadly...). I think it's just the industry norm anymore.
I think you're right Betsy. I believe many of the magazine use clearing houses and other means of processing their payments. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get to the right person to get something canceled once and for all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I absolutely agree that the magazine itself is beautiful and has featured lots of amazing companies and designers. It's the business practices of the company that I don't agree with.

I hope that my message didn't come across as just bashing the company. I tried to keep most of my opinions (although I know my opinion is pretty apparent as I was venting also) about the company to myself and just post the facts of what I've been going through with the company. I don't think I have ever posted a negative post about a company before on SCS. I am just very frustrated with this company because I have been dealing with this for months now. I have read many similar posts on Two Peas. If you do a search over there, you will find many people who have had the same experience with this company.
I agree that we should all base things on our own experiences, but I also like to read about others' experiences before purchasing from a company I don't know. I know I personally often read the threads here to learn about new great companies and what ones I should avoid. This post was intended as a way to share my experience (and, yes, I was definitely venting, too. )

This is one of many threads regarding this magazine company. The same thing happened to me. Got the e-mail, said no, got charged anyway. Called 4 times, took 4 months. Got many promises to fix it, told to check my credit card. Run around for months. Finally called my credit card to dispute the fraudulent charge which I should have done in the first place. CC company kept me on the line while they contacted the Card Company, issued solved immediately. Really sad part of the whole story...I just love Cards Magazine and will never buy it again. I'm so sorry this happened to you too!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post
I would be fuming, too!! Give 'em h-e-l-l. :twisted:

:p

I currently don't subscribe to any magazines. But if I were to start, I would NOT use my credit card to pay for the subscription. I would even be concerned about writing a check anymore, since if someone has your bank routing number and checking account number they could try to pass through an electronic payment without your permission.

Thank goodness the post office still sells money orders. :p
Really?!? I've never heard of this before.

As mentioned credit card companies are often helpful in reversing unauthorized charges - but dealing with banks and unauthorized cheques would be such a hassle.

We don't write many cheques but now I'm going to think twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I just subscribed to their online version. I'm hoping there is less hassle with that b/c the premier subscriptions are only available for the printed version of the catalog! I love it too...you can bookmark, add notes, there are direct links to the products, you get it right away and you can print pages if you really want to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #29  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's called negative billing - billing with the onus being on the customer to cancel. It's terrible. Thanks for letting me know. I had trouble with - don't laugh - Blue Mountain Card with this - and I couldn't find a phone number to call to cancel them. Finally I called my Visa card company and got things straighted up.

Thanks for the heads up . I subscribe to the same magazine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #30  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampacidalView Post
When you use your credit card the credit card company will handle all disputes for you and you will not have to pay any charges you think are wrong. If you write a check I don't think a bank will do the same.
I think you are correct there. The credit card company will handle your disputes for you . Better not to write a cheque - unless maybe you get a money order! That way a magazine can't re charge you .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I think it's called negative billing - billing with the onus being on the customer to cancel. It's terrible. Thanks for letting me know. I had trouble with - don't laugh - Blue Mountain Card with this - and I couldn't find a phone number to call to cancel them. Finally I called my Visa card company and got things straighted up.

Thanks for the heads up . I subscribe to the same magazine.
I thought negative billing was illegal in Canada - wasn't there a fiasco a few years back with Rogers/Shaw Cable and negative billing?

Oh, and Blue Mountain Card? Never heard of them

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in the land of Downunder. yep you guessed it i live in Australia
Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I get Cards but only because it was a gift for the next two years...the sad thing is I dont even like the magazine...I always page though it and give it to my two sisters.
I am sorry so many are having issues..
blessings.
I hope the person that gave you the magazine as a gift doesn't get slugged after the subscription is up. I get so cranky with this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for my last magazine subscription, I used a debit card I won in a box of cereal -- so if they try to auto-renew with it there will be nothing to link the card to me (I never had to register the card in my name or anything).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always send in money order for magazine subscriptions. That way they cannot renew me. I learned my lesson several years ago when the same thing happened to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by malice67View Post
for my last magazine subscription, I used a debit card I won in a box of cereal -- so if they try to auto-renew with it there will be nothing to link the card to me (I never had to register the card in my name or anything).
What cereal do you eat?!?! All I get is a promise of lower cholesterol with mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Money orders are a GREAT idea!!! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking about gifting a 6mo subscription to a friend when her birthday comes. I think I will do it by money order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I think it's important to remember that the magazine might be beautiful and showcase many wonderful people (who did submit quite a while ago per publication calendars and probably have no clue about the payment policies in effect), but it is the business practice of the company that is being brought to attention here, and that does reflect on the magazine as a whole. at least that is my opinion. beautiful or not on the surface, what is going on 'underneath' so to speak, says volumes about the people behind it.

I will continue to support the member companies here at SCS in my own way and peruse the blogs of many whose work I see showcased here. Just because some of these practices have become the 'norm', doesn't make them right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

This is just unreal................that WE the consumer have to go to these length's to PROTECT ourselves. If we don't then we are sitting ducks. It's just not fair. I mean I always send a check too but never thought how they could try and send an electronic check. WOWzer! I will send money order's from now on. Good luck Niki. It's very frustrating I know just ask me about VERIZON!!!!!!!@**@&*@&*@!@(*(@@@@!!!

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Niki, this is just terrible! I hope you finally get it cleared up.

I have a credit card (Bank of America) that allows me to "create" my own numbers and amounts tied to that number. I use it for anything I purchase online. The card number is only good for the amount that I set it for. Very helpful to guard against those auto-bill things!
Reply With Quote Likes