Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brick and mortar stamp stores ... are they a thing of the past?

My husband and I live in a location where there is only one *true* (meaning they focus really on stamping and not scrapping) stamping store in our city. The next stamp store is about 10 miles north of our city. (We live in a city of about 150,000 with many more surrounding communities that we could serve.) There are 2 scrapbooking stores in my city. One is fairly decent and the other just opened (was not too impressed with the new one). The one stamp store in our town has been there for years, but has a lot of outdated merchandise. The only sections of the store that truly change from month to month are two tables of merchandise (which are the two tables I frequent!).

While I do frequent (and buy quite a bit at!) the one local stamp store quite often, my husband was wondering if it might be in our interest to open our own store. One in a better location ... with more up-to-date merchandise ... with classes offered in the store regularly.

Do you have any thoughts, ladies? Is there room in the market for mom and pop stamp stores with all of the buying that now goes on online?

Personally, I love the personalized service from a local store ... and would love to take classes (if any were offered at my local stamp store). While it is fun to buy online, there is nothing like visiting an actual store, chatting about stamping stuff with the owner or employees, seeing new samples, etc.

Please ... let me hear your thoughts and advice! I know that opening a store is a huge risk and we would be eating and breathing the store. My husband is at a point in his career that he is feeling the itch to change directions and we wondered if this is something we should pursue.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

None directly in my area, but there are several within 15 miles of my home. The newest one, not impressed with. Prices are high and its right across from HL and next to a scrapping store that accepts Mike's coupons. And their classes aren't very good. Too expensive for low quality class.

My favorite sells stamps, papers, inks and all that fun stuff, plus quilting, beading and knitting supplies. All high quality and they are always offering a sale on something. Their classes are awesome. They also have a number of clubs. And once a quarter they extend their hours and have free make and takes "open house" style. But its never free for me - I ALWAYS buy things that I used on my M&Ts. Plus they give a discount on that night and they do a small discount on your club nights too. I love the service, they are helpful and always right on top of trends. I think they've found the magic key to success. HTH

Good Luck and I want to come visit your new store! Always looking for new ones to explore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had 2 stamp stores in our town of about 100,000. They one actually shares her store with her husband so it's got stamps and stuff (all outdated and pretty icky) on one side and remote control cars and stuff on the other. It's primarily the cars and stuff. I don't ever go there, the stuff is too expensive and no one knows anything.

The other one was really nice. It was an extension of the scrapbooking store the owner also had. It was located 3 doors down from her SB store and the discount card could be used at either. They had good classes, knowledgeable staff and decent products. (Not really my style, but a lot of Savvy stamps and PSX stuff) Anyway, she just merged the stamp store with the scrapbook store because there wasn't enough interest to keep it open on it's own.

I would be very careful and do a LOT of research. I think if anyone could have made it with a stamp store here, she could have, and it didn't work out for her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I shop at a store just like what you describe as wanting to open. The owner is just celebrating their 2yr anniversary. I think it's been a tough haul for her..as much as she's tried, a lot of people still don't know she's there. Her closest competition is another stamp store which is far more established that's about 15 min away as well as Michael's, Jo-Ann's and Paper Zone. Impress is only about 30 min away. There's also a HUGE scrapbook store that no one can compete with. I've heard, I think from her, that the industry says stamping is on its way out again but SU does so well it's hard to imagine for me. I think her biggest limitations are definitely $$. To make a store successful, you've got to turn over a lot of product and keep things trendy. That requires a lot of money. Really think hard about what kinds of purchases you would make, lines you would carry, where else those products can be carried, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

If you are serious, you need something that Michael's, etc, can't or won't offer. In the Portland, Oregon, area there are about 4 rubber stamp stores. One of the best is closing because the owner is retiring. I am extremely bummed about it. The best thing about her store was the demo area. If you didn't know how to do a technique, one of the employees would take you to the demo area ( a wrap around desk with all supplies at hand) and show you. It was really neat. I even video taped a couple of the demos so I could remember the steps. It will be the personal service and demos that will draw people to your store. Having stamp companies that the chain stores don't have is a must. Having a great paper selection is essential. Offering classes is necessary. One of the stores in our area even offers a birthday class where it is a bday party with card stamping for the fun. Keeping up on the latest techniques ia a must as well.

I would try to find a location that doesn't have a craft store too close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #6  
Sassy Shani

Which one is closing. Should we talk the boys into letting us buy it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
If you are serious, you need something that Michael's, etc, can't or won't offer. In the Portland, Oregon, area there are about 4 rubber stamp stores. One of the best is closing because the owner is retiring. I am extremely bummed about it. The best thing about her store was the demo area. If you didn't know how to do a technique, one of the employees would take you to the demo area ( a wrap around desk with all supplies at hand) and show you. It was really neat. I even video taped a couple of the demos so I could remember the steps. It will be the personal service and demos that will draw people to your store. Having stamp companies that the chain stores don't have is a must. Having a great paper selection is essential. Offering classes is necessary. One of the stores in our area even offers a birthday class where it is a bday party with card stamping for the fun. Keeping up on the latest techniques ia a must as well.

I would try to find a location that doesn't have a craft store too close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll say that in the Philly area, there NO stamp stores that I know of. I have heard that there is one out towards Lancaster, but that's a haul for me with 2 young children.

There are 2 scrapbook stores that I know of in my area. One I haven't been impressed with, the other I haven't visited, but I hear it's tiny. I even live in an area that's not near a Michaels or ACMoore--general craft store. I have to drive about 25 minutes to get to one of those. There is a Joann right up the street, but it's so small/dirty/unstocked. It's like they try to do fabric AND crafts AND floral AND yarn and they fail at all of them because they don't stock enough of anything to actually finish a project.

I would love to see a local stamping store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

We are also losing stamp stores in our area. The ones that are surviving offer both stamping & scrapping. I recently heard we were getting an Archiver's in our area, so I am sure that hurt the few remaining shops we have.

We have one small stamp store in the city I live in. My friend and I have tried to go there 3 times...but she is never open when she says she is open. So finally we gave up!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmferg
We have one small stamp store in the city I live in. My friend and I have tried to go there 3 times...but she is never open when she says she is open. So finally we gave up!!!
Ahhh, you just named the WORST thing I've found with the "mom & pop." There was a stamping store a few years ago, not too far from me. I went by a couple of times and it was never open, even though from the hours on the door it should have been. I gave up. Did the same thing with the local non-chain ice cream shop.

Note to all potential shop owners: Be open your posted hours!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Thanks, ladies! Keep those comments coming!

Thought of a few more things to add:

We would DEFINITELY have scrappin' stuff, too, as is there is so much overlap ... papers, punches, albums, etc.

Classes are a MUST!

Having a demo area with knowledgeable staff is a MUST!

Being open the hours you post is a MUST!

Ordering products for customers and keeping customers abreast of their order statuses is a MUST!

We do have a Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Joann's store all in our city ... but there stamp selection is pretty small. HL has the biggest selection, but not too many "trendy" stamps are carried. No A Muse, Savvy, Rubber Soul, very few Hero Arts, etc. And all these stores are within a 1/2 mile of each other ... and we would not be located that close to them. And NONE of these stores offer any knowledgeable staff, let me tell you! (Speaking of just the stores within our city, mind you.)

My biggest fear is that an Archiver's will come to our town! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
Note to all potential shop owners: Be open your posted hours!!!
I was browsing in a local scrapping store in Edmonton near my neighbourhood, and the husband of the owner came in to see his wife while she was running it, and he wanted them to go do some fun thing with the kids. He was saying loud enough I could hear, "Let's go do stuff at place-o; just lock the door!" and the wife said quieter, "There's a customer in here!" That made me feel quite uncomfortable and I left shortly thereafter. The next time I tried to go there they had shut down.

Definitely I would suggest having good turnaround on your stock, cos the places that have the exact same items on their shelves (not just the same product, but same exact boxes!) year in and year out are not very interesting. Would it be possible to supplement your store sales with auctions on eBay? As in, once a non-staple has been on your shelf for 6 months, you could put it either by itself or in a lot on eBay to keep product rotating while minimising your losses.

I remember another SCSr has a friend who owns a coffee shop (iirc) and was thinking of branching out to include papercrafting items. Maybe there is another angle you could combine a stamp store with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 04:57 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon
Which one is closing. Should we talk the boys into letting us buy it?
First Impressions - 49th and Fremont. All kinds of discounts now until about the middle of May.
I'll let YOU buy it and I'll work for you! WAIT! Lemme' think this through (Ann working for Shanon......hmmmmmm). What kind of boss are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I think one of the main reasons the stores aren't lasting is that people open them as a hobby instead of a business. And then its no fun anymore, its work.
There used to be a local stamp store nearby, but it went out of business. I wasn't at all surprised. When I had asked her if she'd special order some stamps from a favorite vendor, she wouldn't special order any stamps because she said it was "too much work". !???!
If you open your store, I'd suggest LOTS of classes. The stamp store I frequent is miles away, but I'd love the excuse to go there more often...and I've never been in a stamp store and not bought anything. But the classes the owner offers are usually just for beginners. I could never figure that out, since repeat customers are the heart of her business.
I think a successful stamp store could prosper if you were willing to roll with the trends. Good Luck! And if you open, be sure to let us know so we can visit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I'm currently researching opening a craft store in our local community. I currently have "sticker shock" on the leasing costs associated with brick & mortar stores. I've actually been shopping for sites by looking at spaces available and finding out square footage, price per square foot, maintenance fees, etc.,. It is staggering. Each place charges rent differently making it difficult to figure out the most reasonable. Some add rent, common area maintenance, electricity and water together. Some only charge for the 1st two and let you figure out the rest.

The one local scrapbook store that is now on its 3rd owner in 3 years pays $3400 for rent/cams BEFORE phone, electricity and all other costs like credit card machines etc. Then think about selling sticker packages at $3.50 each and paper at 60 cents a sheet where you actually keep about 1.60 of that sale. Yikes. Industry magazines say inventory turnover is key--craft sales per sales square foot in your store should average $200. Holy cow!

I'm not sharing this info to squelch your dream, I'm just saying keep doing your homework (have a plan on how to keep customers coming back and new customers wanting to find you). Figure out how to differentiate yourself from your competition. Have plenty of $ to get through the first year. It'll take time to get people to say "lets go there" and not the other places in your area.

Each piece of information I get that blows me away, I sit back down and see if I can alter by business strategy to overcome it. What is the most rent I'm willing to pay? I don't want to live at the store, how many people do I need to fill in for me? I have already decided I need to go beyond paper, ink and scrapbooks to make my store profitable quickly. Now I'm working on what other craft segments make sense to carry. Your homework will pay off, I'm confident mine will. I've been working on this concept for about 8 months and am still a good year from an opening day. GOOD LUCK in finding your next big work adventure!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 04:38 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
Your homework will pay off, I'm confident mine will. I've been working on this concept for about 8 months and am still a good year from an opening day. GOOD LUCK in finding your next big work adventure!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Annette,
Wishing you much success in your business venture! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

There was a stamp store in AZ that I used to go to all the time..the owner decided to retire. MANY of us were crushed..it was a 30 min drive for me and there is a stamp store about 5 minutes from me. The one farthest away had such great marketing skills the closer one lacked. They had classes, events where the first 10 got a door prize, make and takes, a stamp of the month that was discounted and many displays of cards on how to use that stamp plus many accessories. The employees were great stampers and so willing to show you any technique that you were interested in. I will miss that store forever!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm in Florida, and there are a number of "mom and pop" stamp vendors that are "based" in Florida, but travel to conventions frequently, and sell their products on line and by phone. They also tend to sell a some sort of niche product like their own embossing powder, stamp designs, or paper.

I think you would really have to do a careful business proposal of the demographics, trends and competition in your area, and if there is sufficient interest.

Our cross stitch store was open for many years and has closed, as has the needlepoint and the heirloom sewing place. I think our scrapbook place is struggling and is on it's second owner. Local support here seems to come and go with trends.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know about where you live, but it seems like the stamp (and scrapbook for that matter) stores around here always have the strangest locations. Totally off the beaten path, and then they rarely advertise. I doubt if ANY store could succeed under those circumstances! We finally got a stamp store in the town about 20 minutes north of here that has the right idea - positioned right along the entrance road to the biggest mall in the area. And guess what? It's BOOMING! Meanwhile the other stores that were sporadically located around town.... Yep, all have closed. Go figure!

I think there is definite potential for a stamp store, but like anything it has to be well thought out, and that includes frontage, marketing, promotions, etc. Unfortunately I just don't see that too often with these types of stores.

I don't know... maybe it's the MBA student in me talking, but some of this stuff just seems like common sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

My mother ran a craft store for a number of years. She was busy all of the time. Some years she did well, some years not. She never did get rich off of it. She did it because she loved it. Her biggest problem was chain stores which could offer product at prices she couldn't match. Her customer base was those that didn't want to drive to the 'city' to the larger store for their items. Classes were the heart of her business, but that demanded that she work evenings as well. My dad worked in the store as well.

This is before Ebay and on line purchasing. I think that this would be hard to complete with in this day and age. I know that many of us will shop online if the item is there rather than running around looking for it.

I would suggest you invest in the time to hire an Accountant to help you come up with a business plan. Often times they will know of expenses you will incur that you haven't thought of and can calculate your gross profit margin (income after paying for inventory, before paying for rent, utilities, office costs etc.) you should target. Then you can know whether you can make a go of it based on your competative price point
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #20  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great thread Sarah.

As a consumer, I definitely appreciate being able to walk in to a LSS and see what's new, ask questions, take classes, and just chat stamping. The stamp stores we did have are long gone (no LSS in 30 mile radius, no Mikes, no HL, no Jo's etc.) We have an extremely limited supply of stamps available in my area- which did push me to be a Hobby Demo for SU just to get my fix. The closest LSS is 30 miles away, has very few classes, and doesn't really seem interested in selling stamps. Huh? I dunno.

Many folks here have already hit on facts I would point out:

Classes, lots of classes
Open hours mean OPEN hours.
Friendly stamp savvy staff.
Displays galore with products available.
Fair stock turn over, keep new stuff coming in.
Cleanliness.

DH and I would love to open a LSS, and perhaps will some day. We often think of starting out on-line and moving to a retail location when able.

Good luck to you in your venture. If your heart is there I believe you can make a LSS work.
Karan

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you should post this. I just got an email form my LSS. It's a great store which has expanded considerably in the past year. They have about every major product line of stickers, albums, papers and stamps - pretty much everything. They offer tons of classes that always seem to sell out. It's family run and they do a very good business in general. They are the only true specialty store in the area. We have a Target, Michaels, JoAnns, etc. that carry supplies, but you can't get some of the real specialty items or stamps at those places. Their prices really aren't outrageous either - just not as cheap as Michaels on the same or similar items.

The email stated that they are going to have to up the price of some of their cardstock since they haven't raised the prices in years. With their rent, fuel prices, etc. their prices have skyrocketed, plus customers aren't coming as much since the customers' budgets have been impacted by the same increases. I plan on spending more at that store since they usually have more of what I want (more of the specialty items), but it really made me wonder how long they'll be able to continue in business. It's definitely a business for them, but they're small and can't easily compete with the volume guys like Michaels.

The situation reminds me of the Alan Jackson song "Little Man" about how the little man gets run out of business because someone can buy elsewhere and save just pennies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by seewah
My husband and I live in a location where there is only one *true* (meaning they focus really on stamping and not scrapping) stamping store in our city. The next stamp store is about 10 miles north of our city. (We live in a city of about 150,000 with many more surrounding communities that we could serve.) There are 2 scrapbooking stores in my city. One is fairly decent and the other just opened (was not too impressed with the new one). The one stamp store in our town has been there for years, but has a lot of outdated merchandise. The only sections of the store that truly change from month to month are two tables of merchandise (which are the two tables I frequent

Sarah,

I live in your area and agree. I don't frequent the "one stamp store" because it's so crowded. It's hard to walk through without knocking something over -- unless it's improved in the last year. Sure they've got alot of great stuff but we all want NEW stuff all the time!

I'm actually south of you in Oregon and we recently had a small scrapbooking store and a second slightly larger stamping and scrapbooking store open in our town of 4000. Both stores are nice and doing very well even in our small town. The larger store is just starting to teach classes so we'll see how it goes.

I've always been amazed that there weren't more stamping stores in the area. My personal opinion is that it could be well supported. Especially with NEW products and innovative classes. I know my friends and I would come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindonna
Sarah,

I live in your area and agree. I don't frequent the "one stamp store" because it's so crowded. It's hard to walk through without knocking something over -- unless it's improved in the last year. Sure they've got alot of great stuff but we all want NEW stuff all the time!

I'm actually south of you in Oregon and we recently had a small scrapbooking store and a second slightly larger stamping and scrapbooking store open in our town of 4000. Both stores are nice and doing very well even in our small town. The larger store is just starting to teach classes so we'll see how it goes.

I've always been amazed that there weren't more stamping stores in the area. My personal opinion is that it could be well supported. Especially with NEW products and innovative classes. I know my friends and I would come!
Hi, neighbor!

Yes, the stamp store we are speaking of is VERY crowded ... there is no way that you can bring kids (I have three ... no way a stroller can be up there!) ... and I feel really bad that someone who is in a wheelchair could NEVER go to that store! :(

I feel bad that so much merchandise is just sitting there ... year after year ... it wasn't until I requested some A Muse stamps that she started getting those in the store ... and now they are flyin' off the shelves. Go figure! ;)

The owner is a wonderfully nice lady ... but I just know that so many things could be improved upon. Classes ... the only ones I have ever heard of her offering are altered art type classes ... and while I do know that many stampers are into altered art, there are many who aren't ... so where are the classes for us?

That is excellent to hear that the stores down in your area are doing well. Might have to take a drive down there this weekend and check them out. If you could PM me with some more info on the stores (name, phone number, location and hours) ... I would SO appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

there are getting to be fewer and fewer. We have 2 stamp stores and I think 3 or 4 scrapbooking stores for a town of 400,000. not very good and their selection is yuck offer little to no classes so I go to stamp parties instead and find stuff on the internet and go to conventions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I have a great local stamp store and one not-so great. The great one offers classes all of the time, sends out e-mail and paper newsletters with specials and coupons, has great hours, and is frequently very busy. It's really the only truly "stamping" store I have found in the area (population about 500,000). Lots of scrapbooking stores, only a couple of stamping stores.

I don't go to the not-so-great one very often; it just doesn't have the same atmosphere but they do have a lot of stuff. They are moving to a different location soon, though, so I will probably never go there now.

I think there's been a decline in the number of stores, but people will always want the instant gratification of immediate purchase, rather than having to wait a week to get something from SU or CTMH, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouse
there are getting to be fewer and fewer. We have 2 stamp stores and I think 3 or 4 scrapbooking stores for a town of 400,000. not very good and their selection is yuck offer little to no classes so I go to stamp parties instead and find stuff on the internet and go to conventions.
If you had a stamp store in your town that stayed on top of the trends, had a great selection and offered classes ... would you be less inclined to shop on the internet and conventions?
Thanks for your input!

Last edited by seewah; 04-20-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I've talked with store owners many times in my area. And I've seen lots of scrapbooking stores come and go in recent years. Customer service is definatly a must I know I don't frequent stores that have poor service. When I was talking to an owner recently she said that you basically have to be prepared to be working seven days a week.

As for not carrying the stamps that you want right away I know that many companies have ordering minimums. So you have to remember that while someone would love to carry all of the lines and get what you want right away that it might not be possible. I've seen store owners in my area combining sticker orders in order to meet minimums. I also think that there is often more paperwork involved than it initially seems.

In addition when I was talking with the one owner she said that you have to be prepared to lose money for quite some time before you make money. This part of the year is the worst for her because it starts off with Christmas and then people get their bills from Christmas and then it's tax time and then there is a convention. I doubt people will stop purchasing online and at conventions just because there is a store in their area.

With all that said if you are really serious and do your homework I'm sure it's possible to open a store. It sure is a big undertaking. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What an exciting idea. I'm sure if you interviewed some other store owners you could get some idea of what you are getting yourself into, and develop a business plan. Owning a small business is incredibly time consuming, which is why a very successful scrapbooking store went out of business in this area last year. Another one folded due to the owner's illness -- hint -- get disability insurance!!

I love being able see gadgets in action before buying them. There's a thread on a cricut machine elsewhere. I want to see it and try it out before spending $$. I wish you much success.

by the way -- you must have a great DH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 01:39 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been a very interesting read.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I love my lss although it is an hour drive for me. If it were closer I would be there every week. There is always something new in this store, not the same 'ol, same 'ol stamps that I continue to see at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. IMO samples, lots of samples help sell the stamps whether the samples are provided by the stamp company or done by the store staff. A discounted stamp of the month also helps get me in the door more frequently.

Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 04:15 AM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

The only stamp store close to me is 2 hours away! There were 2 or 3 great stores in our area and they have all closed. The best we can do now is Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin or Michaels. Even Ben Franklin has dropped their inventory of stamps (what used to be rows and rows is now a small section)! Very frustrating for a stamper that likes to feel the rubber in their hands before purchasing! Now the store 2 hours away is a great store, but is in a small artist community that thrive on their tourist trade! Love going there - they offer clubs, classes and a wide variety of stamps! Plus they send an online newsletter monthly to keep their customers up-to-date on anything new in the store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
by the way -- you must have a great DH.
Yes, he is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevstamps
I love my lss although it is an hour drive for me. If it were closer I would be there every week. There is always something new in this store, not the same 'ol, same 'ol stamps that I continue to see at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. IMO samples, lots of samples help sell the stamps whether the samples are provided by the stamp company or done by the store staff. A discounted stamp of the month also helps get me in the door more frequently.

Beverly
Yes, the big box stores always have the SAME OLD STUFF! And no one there ever knows anything about product (at least at our local stores).
Yes, samples are what sell ... and a knowledgeable, friendly staff.
Yes, a stamp of the month! Already on my list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Ladies, this thread is so great!

While I know that if we even attempt to do this, it will be a L O N G process ... it is great to get the ideas flowing. Believe me, I am taking notes!

Ok, so in the same vein of thinking ... here are a few more questions:

What do you LOVE about your LSS?

What don't you like about your LSS?

If you had a LSS that had up-to-date merchandise, great customer service, a friendly, knowledgeable staff, great classes and a decent location ... would you be more apt to shop there, online or at big box stores (like Michael's, Joann's or HL)?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by seewah
If you had a stamp store in your town that stayed on top of the trends, had a great selection and offered classes ... would you be less inclined to shop on the internet and conventions?
Thanks for your input!
Yes ......and NO! There are some things that your local store can get just as easily as online and you don't have to pay as much because of shipping. I often call the local store first to see if they carry a product before I'll purchase online. I did this just recently and they were excited to hear about the new product and have ordered it in. Then I do shop online for items they don't carry. My LSS doesn't do too much with unmounteds (although they are getting more all the time) and I have a few favorite haunts online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

My LSS also has a frequent buyer program. They stamp a little card that you have and after so much in purchases you get a $15 credit on your next purchase. I believe the amount you purchase to receive the credit is something like $300. Another LSS had a $300 club. When you spent that much you either got a 10% discount or a free class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
My LSS also has a frequent buyer program. They stamp a little card that you have and after so much in purchases you get a $15 credit on your next purchase. I believe the amount you purchase to receive the credit is something like $300. Another LSS had a $300 club. When you spent that much you either got a 10% discount or a free class.
Yes, our LSS has something similar. I do most of my shopping on DDD and I always use that 40% coupon!
This is taken from the LSS newsletter (name of store omitted):
Double Dollar Day is part of our rubber stamp incentive program here at XYZ. As you know, we keep track of all your purchases on your "500 Club" card and once you reach that dollar amount, you are granted a lifetime 10% off anytime you purchase from XYZ. To get there faster, we introduced Double Dollar Days which are every other Wednesday. We double the amount purchased (before tax) and that helps you get to $500 faster and spend less..... Once you have reached your $500 and have your lifetime10% off, on DDD we double your discount and your receive 20%. It's a great way to save and a good reason to shop at XYZ! We know that many of you work on DDD and we don't want you to miss it, so if there is something that you know you want or need or just can't live without, you can email or call that day and we can do a credit card sale over the phone and hold your items until you are able to come in or ship them to you. Remember, we have extended hours on DDD and are open until 7:00 pm.
40% OFF COUPONS -On Double Dollar Day we begin stamping 40% off coupons on your receipts if you have made a purchase of $10 or more after discounts and before tax. That coupon is valid from the day after DDD thru the day before the next DDD. So, the sooner you are in, on or near DDD, you have longer to use the coupon. We don't want you to miss a 40% off opportunity, so if you want to use it and are unable to get into XYZ, just email or call with your shopping request, we will do a credit card sale and either mail or hold your items until you are able to stop in. That way you won't miss using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a small but wonderful store in Chicago called Stampology. They offer many classes weekly with new products and techniques. They have a frequent buyer program. The entire staff is very friendly and will help with techniques if you are unable to attend a class. I rarely see anyone leave a class without making purchases. While I do enjoy my SU products, I also love Stampology as well as the shows thoughout the year. I would miss Stampology very much if it were to close. While the tutorials here are informative, nothing beats hands on experience. There is the social aspect to consider with the classes as well as just stopping in for a few minutes to chat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing that always irritates me at my LSS is customer relations. They just don't make you feel welcomed! I also dislike how quiet it always is. No excitement or reason to just stopping by. They have a nice selection of current stamps and papers though. Prices are OK but I rarely go. Why? SU and CTMH meets most of my needs and it is more fun to stamp with people I know. I do like their monthly specials of buying 1 of several stamps and recieve a "bigger" stamp at 1/2 off. Another one just opened up about 5 miles away and I was under impressed as well. Maybe I'm hard to please?
Reply With Quote Likes