Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me pick out a printer?

I am getting ready to purchase a new printer. I was thinking an all-in-one to save space and be able to scan, print, and print photos, oh yeah, and copy too. I love scrapbooking and think this will work great. I am looking at getting the HPPSC2610. Does anyone have this printer? Any one know why this wouldn't be a good choice? Is there a better choice for scrapbookers?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

when I was buying my printer I was told that if you want a photo printer buy a photo printer. When you get an all in one printer, the photo quality isn't as good. Not sure what you are looking for but for me I was more concerned about the quality of the pictures I was printing.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I don't have the particular printer you asked about but I do have a HP all in one. I love it! We've had it for about 2 years now and it's still going strong. I don't print photos out on it all that often, but it seems to do a decent job when I need something in a hurry. I have pictures that I printed 2 years ago and they're still in good shape. Plus I love the copying and faxing functions of the printer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have a PSC from HP and I do like it. We do not print photos from it because it is cheaper to have them printed at the store. The only downside that I have found is that you cannot print on 1/2, 1/4 sheets of cs without temporarily adhering it to the copy paper first. It will print photos and envelopes, but you cannot adjust the setting on the printer screen to do custom printing on smaller sheets of paper. I made the adjustments necessary in Word and I would print it out, and it would be printed in the center of a copy sheet of paper. (I always print something on copy paper before I print on cs.) I called HP to ask them about this and none of their PSC's are capable of doing this. If I had known that before we had purchased the machine, and sent in the rebate, it would have probably kept me from purchasing it. However, I do have to say that I love having the copier and scanner. Sometimes the copier is down at school---active in PTO--and I can copy things from here.

You need to decide what features are important to you. I wanted to let you know about the paper size thing because you would not know that before you purchased the printer and tried it. I never knew to ask, since I assumed that I could print on any size paper on my VERY old one that I could certainly do it on any new one.

Hope this helps.
Smiles,
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Jen: Thanks for your info. I had never thought there would be a printer that could print on odd sized paper like a 1/4 sheet of card stock. I will look into that more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a Costco near you? I have seen a lot of PSCs there and for a great price. If you don't, you could check out the prices on Costco.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have the lexmark X6150 all in one from Sam's. It cost $99 & is great. It is a fax, printer, copier & scanner. Good deal
Jenna ;) #6202
I need inspiration!!!![/I][/FONT][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad someone asked this question. I was about to ask the same thing. My scanner is crappy, so I think it's time for a new one. So, the scanner/printer combo is the way to go?
My main reason for wanting a new scanner is that I can't upload cards to SCS, so I'm thinking the scanner isn't capable. Does it matter what kind you have? Does it need a special feature or program to do this? My problem is that it doesn't 'shrink' the info small enough for it to be sent.
(sorry to hijack your thread- I just thought that since we were on the subject, it would save people from double posting.)
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

my pictures open in paint, then I edit the size down small enough to email & post
Jenna ;) #6202
I need inspiration!!!![/I][/FONT][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronda Nix
I'm glad someone asked this question. I was about to ask the same thing. My scanner is crappy, so I think it's time for a new one. So, the scanner/printer combo is the way to go?
My main reason for wanting a new scanner is that I can't upload cards to SCS, so I'm thinking the scanner isn't capable. Does it matter what kind you have? Does it need a special feature or program to do this? My problem is that it doesn't 'shrink' the info small enough for it to be sent.
(sorry to hijack your thread- I just thought that since we were on the subject, it would save people from double posting.)
Ronda
I don't think it's a scanner issue (although if you can control the resolution you are scanning at, choose 72 pixels because that's the best that you'll see online--that will make your pictures come out with a smaller file size). When i scan pictures, I import them into a photo editing program (I have Photoshop, but I do a lot with pictures) and resize them there. They can't be more than 600 something pixels (I don't have the image size right off the top of my head) or a certain file size. And the 2 aren't the same...

PM me if you want more detailed info... :-)

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default printer

I bought a new scanner, faxer, printer, copier at Costco. An HP (the ONLY kind to buy) It is a 6440 all in one and I LOVE it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default printer/scanner

I have both an Epson printer and scanner. I had a HP 1220C printer before and had problems with it feeding paper heavier than 22 lb.
I have learned that a printer that feeds from the top does a better job with heavier paper. The Epson R300 has several settings for the type of printing you want to do, from every day printing to high quality photos.
I would buy an Epson printer again. The scanner does a good job also. I can scan a photo and have it copy perfectly.
For the best quality of photo printing I really like my Sony digital photo printer, but it is not a cheap print, but the quality is very good.
Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 PM   #13  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

My DH is against the all-in-one because he says you always compromise something. But I think they are getting better and better at it.

My scanner scans in Bitmap images that are huge. I'm hopeless with computers, and reading the book puts me right to sleep. Luckily, DS is currently a 13 year old computer nerd. He's a LOT of help. Now, after I save my cards in the Scanner's software, I know how to get them to open in another program (Paint) and save it so that it's an acceptable size.

It's so difficult to help online because everyones has different programs. I am reading the printer comments with interest, because I never print anything to do with cards - our printer is horrible. I'm just waiting for it to die.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

My brother repairs printers and the one piece of advice he always gives is check the websites of the different companies to make sure they have authorized repairs dealers in your area. He has customers that have to drive over an hour to get to him because there are no closer dealers if something is wrong with the machine.
Also, with the HP and Canon, if something goes wrong with the HP it is much more difficult to get parts and many times you'll have to send the machine back if you want it fixed. I forget why but Canon is easier to get parts from.
I'm not sure about Lexmark and Epson because he primarily fixes the Canons and HP's.

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default EpsonStylus

My family business invested in an Epson Stylus RX600.

It has 5 color cartridges and pretty decent photo editting software.

Also has a memory card slot and LCD screen display to preview your pix.

Photo quality and scan quality are very good. You need to buy either Epson paper or Kodak paper.

If you can afford to get a better quality machine DO IT.

The $100 machines will generally work for a year or less and then you'll have to buy a new one.

What often happens is the color jets get clogged and the cheaper machines don't really self-clean the jets... they are supposed to but don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm a computer "geek" at work and wouldn't buy anything but an HP printer. I've got the Office Jet 5510 at home. I run cardstock through it frequently with no problems. We've got some PSC's at work and have had no problems with them.

I have had other brands at work Epson, Brother, etc. and we always seem to have tons more problems with them and I am always replacing parts or fixing them. I hardly ever have any HP problems.
Reply With Quote Likes