Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a demo help answer some workshop questions?

I've never ordered anything from SU! I just discovered it when I started reading SCS last November. I've contacted a demo in my area who is so nice and helpful and always has a super fast response.

I thought it would be a good idea to hold a workshop at my house as a way to a) introduce my crafty friends to stamping so I have someone to play with and b) introduce myself to SU! products without having to spend a lot (or any) money.

I just started discussing this with my "future demo" and she said she'd be in contact with me to set up a date, I guess. We've already decided that we'd do a scrap page and a card so my scrapping friends can see how they can use stamping in their layouts and also open up their world to cards. (So they can stop asking me how I do it. lol)

I have a few questions, though; and I'm afraid to ask this new demo lady because I don't want to come off as "naive" or even cheap. (Even though I AM naive and cheap.)

1. I'm more than glad to host a workshop in my house and I assume I'll serve snacks, drinks, etc. What else do I need to provide? Decorations?
2. I DO NOT want this workshop to cost my guests anything (other than what they buy). In other words, while I'm glad they're going to do a project or two, I don't want to tell them they have to pay $5 or $10 to come buy stuff at my stamping party. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone would come because they're so unfamilar with stamping. I would be more than willing to provide or put in from my own supplies for the workshop to cut down / eliminate costs.
3. Generally speaking, aside from a profit projection (which I know no one can provide me with), what can I expect to expierience as a hostess? What tips can you give me to make this a great night?
4. Lastly, what time / day have you found to have the best attendance? Most of the women attending are mothers so I'm not sure if I should do it during the week because babysitters are hard to come by on weekends and they want to spend time with their kids or do I do it on a weekend because week nights are so busy schlepping kids everywhere?

So many questions, I know! I'd really appreciate any input I could get! TY ladies, as always!!!:-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
I've never ordered anything from SU! I just discovered it when I started reading SCS last November. I've contacted a demo in my area who is so nice and helpful and always has a super fast response.

I thought it would be a good idea to hold a workshop at my house as a way to a) introduce my crafty friends to stamping so I have someone to play with and b) introduce myself to SU! products without having to spend a lot (or any) money. Sounds like the perfect plan, lol!

I just started discussing this with my "future demo" and she said she'd be in contact with me to set up a date, I guess. We've already decided that we'd do a scrap page and a card so my scrapping friends can see how they can use stamping in their layouts and also open up their world to cards. (So they can stop asking me how I do it. lol)

I have a few questions, though; and I'm afraid to ask this new demo lady because I don't want to come off as "naive" or even cheap. (Even though I AM naive and cheap.)

1. I'm more than glad to host a workshop in my house and I assume I'll serve snacks, drinks, etc. What else do I need to provide? Decorations? Simple, clean finger food at most...certainly not anything like a brunch. Can't go wrong with M&Ms, lol! Don't worry about decorations; hopefully your demo will bring some sample projects for guests to look at.
2. I DO NOT want this workshop to cost my guests anything (other than what they buy). In other words, while I'm glad they're going to do a project or two, I don't want to tell them they have to pay $5 or $10 to come buy stuff at my stamping party. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone would come because they're so unfamilar with stamping. I would be more than willing to provide or put in from my own supplies for the workshop to cut down / eliminate costs. Has your demo said anything about needing money? If she hasn't mentioned anything, then I'd assume she's not expecting anything. I know I don't charge anything for doing a simple make and take or two...I don't think I would pay if I were a guest, either!
3. Generally speaking, aside from a profit projection (which I know no one can provide me with), what can I expect to expierience as a hostess? What tips can you give me to make this a great night? Just be prepared to have fun, lol! Help the demo out with some enthusiasm. Try to avoid flat out telling your guests "oh, you don't have to buy anything!" I'm sure they know that! But I imagine they'd also like to help you get some hostess benefits out of this, too...
4. Lastly, what time / day have you found to have the best attendance? Most of the women attending are mothers so I'm not sure if I should do it during the week because babysitters are hard to come by on weekends and they want to spend time with their kids or do I do it on a weekend because week nights are so busy schlepping kids everywhere? That kind of depends on your area, really, so I don't have a suggestion about that...I'd just offer the thought that it's really helpful if you try to keep it for just adults, without the kids. It's so nice for moms to have a night out on their own...

So many questions, I know! I'd really appreciate any input I could get! TY ladies, as always!!!:-D
I hope you have a great party! I'm sure your demo is quite eager to answer any of your questions...she wants your party to be a success, too, remember, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

My demo has workshops in her home all the time (usually Friday nites), and I've hosted a few myself. Pretzels and M&Ms, and something to drink, that's all you need. Like Betsy said, clean finger food, because your guests will be busy with pretty papers and after that, SU Catalogs. Nobody ever eats very much at these things (besides chocolate, that is!)

I would be clear with her about the cost ahead of time....you don't want an uncomfortable situation if your demo expects something for the materials. My demo typically charges $10 for a workshop, but we make 5 or 6 cards with all the embellishments, and she does all the pre-cutting and scoring ahead of time. The participants are usually the same gang, and she lets us know by e-mail what it costs to get in on the fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have been to several on Friday night that are "happy hour" where the hostess has a couple bottles of wine. Also, for your stamping friends talk up the fact that Stampin' Up has awesome designer papers so if they aren't interested at the end of the night in stamping they can still find something they would like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Most demos don't charge for their workshops (this is where her profit is based on the sales of your guests). Classes are usually where demos charge (this is where her profit is based on the extensive projects she teaches and where people aren't expected to shop). Just be up front with your demo and ask to make sure that she doesn't charge for her demo and a few make & takes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I hope you have a great party! I'm sure your demo is quite eager to answer any of your questions...she wants your party to be a success, too, remember, lol!
You all are so helpful! I did tell the demo in my last email that I'd prefer not to have to charge for anything so I'm glad to hear that's do - able.

I would definately do it WITHOUT kids! lol I'm a mom, too and the last thing I want is to worry about sticky fingers and nosy daughters. lol I do love the idea of a Friday Night with some chocolate & wine. I'll tell that to the demo and maybe she can plan the make & takes around that "theme". That would be cute. Also, I have some martini and chocolate themed stamps so that would be cute on the invitations.

Thanks again for all the ideas - I knew you ladies would be able to help me out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I tell my hostesses that IF they want to serve refreshments to keep it light and to serve it AFTER my demonstrations. My guests will make 3 make & takes so there is not much time for snacking.

I don't charge for my stamping parties. Instead I get my guests excited about everything they are making and they just naturally want to purchase the product they are using which makes for great sales for my hostess so that she will earn lots of free merchandise.

I would encourage you to take your catalog and show it to your friends, especially if they cannot attend, and see if you can get some outside orders. This will help boost your sales so that you'll get lots of free hostess goodies. You will want to schedule a stamping party between Feb 1st and March 31st so that you will get extra goodies as this is Sale-a-bration. And, your guests will have a chance to receive free limited edition stamp sets during this period.

Good luck and have fun at your stamping party!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Every demo does things differently so I won't chime in on that part but I just wanted to say the more excited you are about the workshop, the more excited your guests will be. Have fun and others will have fun too. And remember you get FREE STUFF!!!!! I love demoing at a workshop where the hostess is excited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say make sure your guests know that it's a home party, direct sales type of event, but one where there is no obligation to buy, and one where everyone gets to do something hands-on. Leave it to your guests to decide whether or not they want to come. If they do want to come, and they do want to buy something, there are some great ideas at the back of the catalogue for beginners (single stamps, very simple kits, etc.). Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not a demo but I would like to add my 2 cents. Don't go overboard on food or snacks. As was mentioned by someone else - stick with items that won't create messy fingers and keep it simple. Example if you have a evening or afternoon party you could have coffee, tea and cocoa and a plate of cookies or a pie - eaten with a fork, no messy fingers.

Your demo should supply all the need supplies. Remember your demo will be making money on your show/party. Just a thought on charging for your show/party. Several of the ladies that use the same demo I use have parties and do charge for them. Actually the demo charges but the hostess asks for it to be that way. All that come pay $5 and they get to make 4 cards. The $5helps cover the cost to the demo for her supplies. This is very successful and the reasoning is - you pay to make the cards, not come to the party. It is made clear on the invite the charge is for making the cards and that no one is obligated to buy anything. By paying to come the attendees feel that they are off the hook and don't need to buy anything. This has worked well many times.

Just some things to consider
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You all are so helpful! I did tell the demo in my last email that I'd prefer not to have to charge for anything so I'm glad to hear that's do - able.

I would definately do it WITHOUT kids! lol I'm a mom, too and the last thing I want is to worry about sticky fingers and nosy daughters. lol I do love the idea of a Friday Night with some chocolate & wine. I'll tell that to the demo and maybe she can plan the make & takes around that "theme". That would be cute. Also, I have some martini and chocolate themed stamps so that would be cute on the invitations.

Thanks again for all the ideas - I knew you ladies would be able to help me out!!
I'm not a fan of serving alcohol at stamping events. I'm sure you'd want to offer it at the beginning, so that people can "get it out of their systems" before heading home, and at the one workshop where my hostess served wine people were more interested in drinking than stamping or placing orders. :???: I've also heard other horror stories on demo chat threads. My advice? Keep it dry! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyG3View Post
I'm not a demo but I would like to add my 2 cents. Don't go overboard on food or snacks. As was mentioned by someone else - stick with items that won't create messy fingers and keep it simple. Example if you have a evening or afternoon party you could have coffee, tea and cocoa and a plate of cookies or a pie - eaten with a fork, no messy fingers.

Your demo should supply all the need supplies. Remember your demo will be making money on your show/party. Just a thought on charging for your show/party. Several of the ladies that use the same demo I use have parties and do charge for them. Actually the demo charges but the hostess asks for it to be that way. All that come pay $5 and they get to make 4 cards. The $5helps cover the cost to the demo for her supplies. This is very successful and the reasoning is - you pay to make the cards, not come to the party. It is made clear on the invite the charge is for making the cards and that no one is obligated to buy anything. By paying to come the attendees feel that they are off the hook and don't need to buy anything. This has worked well many times.

Just some things to consider
TY for the tips! I really want my guests to buy things because it's the only way I'll be able to earn hostess benefits and own SU! products! lol So I'd rather have a simpler make & take to keep it down to $0.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I didn't read all of the responses, but I'd keep refreshments very light, maybe just dessert, and serve after stamping.

Friday nights have always been best for any events I've done with Moms.

Have a great night, I hope you get lots of hostess goodies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Be enthusiastic about SU! products, don't encourage talk of other vendors or retail chains. Assist your demo with newbies if the need help with their projects--don't stress about not getting your's done. Very light refreshments. Friday evenings are best for my groups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a Demo and these are questions I would be happy to answer from any of my Customers. If you really want to know the answers pick up the phone call your demo. She won't think you naive, in fact she will appreciate it. Some Demos do charge for a workshop if they make a lot of make and takes. I do two kinds of paties. One I demo 3 projects and one small make and take no charge, but I'm there to sell, I will push for sales. Second is a party where we do make and takes and learn some new techniques. I have the catalogs out and explain to them but not really selling mainly having fun (this is for the hostess that says you really don't have to buy anything just come and have fun) I charge $5 - $10 a person depends upon the projects.

As for snacks I notice if you have a lot they don't get a lot of orders, if they have pretzels, chocolate and maybe water or soda pop more orders.

Talk it up before your party, show them cards or pages you have made. Send out hand made invitations. See if you Demo will lend you a catalog to pass around or use yours.

Best advice is call your demo and ask her the same questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

One thing I would advise is please do not say "just come, you don't have to buy anything" to your potential guests. I know it's hard not to say that, but both you and the demo do want attendees to make purchases. It's how you earn benefits and how the demo gets compensated for her time (both at the event and preparing projects and working with the hostess, etc.)

I haven't tried this myself, but I have heard about people who charge a fee for making the cards if no order is placed, but the fee is waved with a minimal order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a demo that only does 1 large monthly camp at my home. Since these are your friends you'll know if they are pickers or eaters and serve accordingly.

Here are some of the finger foods I serve at my camps..pretzels, brie w/sliced Baguette, flavorful crackers, veggies and either dip or hummus is always easy and appreciated..and of course dessert..I try to keep to mini cupcake or cookies.. a fruit plate is good too (especially strawberries,grapes,cut mellon) I'd just have some toothpicks nearby for mess free fingers

I do elaborate on my foods (not listed above) but I have a group of foodies who love to eat.

Decorations are not necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuhddadView Post
I'm a Demo and these are questions I would be happy to answer from any of my Customers. If you really want to know the answers pick up the phone call your demo. She won't think you naive, in fact she will appreciate it. Some Demos do charge for a workshop if they make a lot of make and takes. I do two kinds of paties. One I demo 3 projects and one small make and take no charge, but I'm there to sell, I will push for sales. Second is a party where we do make and takes and learn some new techniques. I have the catalogs out and explain to them but not really selling mainly having fun (this is for the hostess that says you really don't have to buy anything just come and have fun) I charge $5 - $10 a person depends upon the projects.

As for snacks I notice if you have a lot they don't get a lot of orders, if they have pretzels, chocolate and maybe water or soda pop more orders.

Talk it up before your party, show them cards or pages you have made. Send out hand made invitations. See if you Demo will lend you a catalog to pass around or use yours.

Best advice is call your demo and ask her the same questions.
That is a very interesting (yet strange) observation! lol I'll plan on keeping the food small like crackers, chocolates, etc.

Again - TY for all your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

maybe they are looking busier by eating and they have an excuse to not flip through the catalog? great observation though...

My ladies like to eat...happy,satified and they do order.. having said that, these are the same ladies every month..and it's a camp not a home demo..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

mama2, one thing you stated and nobody addressed it, is that you wanted to use your martini/chocolate stamps on your invites. Are they Stampin Up? Just wanted to point out that you wouldn't want to use non SU stamps and then your demo has to tell them that she can't supply the cute stamps they saw on your invites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

nancystamps - No, I don't have any SU! stamps but that's a good point. Unfortunately - I don't have any way to showcase SU! products beforehand so I guess I'll have to make due.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #22  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

nancystamps - No, I don't have any SU! stamps but that's a good point. Unfortunately - I don't have any way to showcase SU! products beforehand so I guess I'll have to make due.
Your demo might have some postcards she can give you to send out for the invitations.
Reply With Quote Likes