Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you help plan a charity card and crop?

I am running a project at my church to raise enough funds to put clean water wells and a water distribution system in a village in Tanzania, Africa. We started out really strong but are kind of stuck at about half of the $15,000 we need.

We are doing several different fundraisers, but I�ve been thinking about having a charity �card and crop� in August. I was wondering if anyone who has done (or even attended!) anything like this could help with planning.

I would hold it from like 9:00 to 4:00. I can fit about 40 people if I have 4 per table (tables are 10 feet long, 4 wide � 4 people gives enough space right?). It�s a nice, bright air conditioned (for August) space.

I would have a tool table with punches, a cropidile, paper trimmers, heat guns, maybe a cuttlebug. That people could use.

I�m planning some make and takes and demonstrations � simple ones would be free, more complex ones would be priced to cover supplies only - probably several cards, a scrapbook page, maybe a simple altered item. Maybe a few technique demos where you try something but don�t make a complete project. These would be available, but people would be encouraged to bring their own things to work on as well.

I hope to have a goodie bag � but cost may be an issue. I will have door prizes to raffle.

I also plan to set up my store (I take a �store� with me whenever I do classes.) and donate a percentage of the proceeds. I think a Creative Memories consultant might join in and do the same.

So, one question is have I missed anything that I should include?

The other question is what would you be willing to pay if you knew 100% of your fee went to the charity? Would you pay $20? What if it included lunch? Would you pay $25 then?

I think I can get snacks (and possibly lunch donated). But I don�t have an eating space � so people would have to clear their work space to eat.

Last question, any tips to get the word out? I have some ideas, and I think most of my customers would be interested. But many of our fundraisers seem to be tapping into the church members over and over. I would really like to involve people outside the church.

What do you think????? Does this have a chance or raising some money for the cause?

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

$25 is very reasonable, especially if lunch is included.

People love loot bags, but since it's for charity, I don't know if it's necessary. If you decide to do loot bags, you can go inexpensively, but still have nice things in it. People always can use mini-brads, ribbon, jewels, buttons, pen, adhesives, coasters, etc. Stick 'em all in small baggies and then into a plain paper bag.

However, if you don't do that, prizes are good. Everyone loves to be a winner!

Publicity? Put up flyers in the supermarket, book store, craft stores, and churches. If you have a date/time before the end of school, maybe you can get a mention in your PTA's newsletter. Your local paper might give you a free ad or write up, especially if you give them sufficient lead time. Put up a notice here and at other stamping and scrapping message boards.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thanks Kathi,

I think I'm going to try to do goodie bags. If I get some things in bulk and split it up, it won't be too expensive.

And maybe the goodie bad doesn't have to be all stamping stuff. I might be able to get something like a coupon for Starbucks, maybe a little bit of candy or something.... Just a fun little pack.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to one at the end of May that I've done for the last 5 years. She charges $40. She can fit 60 people and usually fills it up. It goes for 12 hours and includes snacks, drinks and lunch. Supper is on your own. She writes to all the scrapbook/stamping companies and gets donations for our goody bags and also for some silent auctions. She also has a few reps come in and set up their stores for any supplies we might need. There are make and takes but I don't generally do them. I'd rather have the time to scrapbook. The profits from her event go to our local Relay For Life.
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Thanks Munhavn. I guess its proof these things can work.

I did a cardmaking class in December and made $600. But I donated all the supplies and my prep time. I don't know if I can donate ALL the supplies again, but certainly some or even most of them.

So if I can get people to come, I think we can make some money for the project.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Wink

Catherine, please keep us up to date on what's going on with this. Depending on where you are in PA, I would consider coming to this kind of event.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

My husband and I have a non-profit organization. When we do fundraising activities, often local tv & radio stations will advertise for us. I would contact them several weeks in advance. You will want to ask to speak to who ever is in charge of non-profit advertising. Local Christian radio stations are great too. Since you are raising money for charity, you should qualify. Sometimes we give a couple of tickets to the radio stations to give away.

As for goody bags -- I think I would skip it -- people understand this is charity. You could do 'door prizes' -- have local restaurants donate gift certificates, have friends put together baskets (different themes -- family movie night, family game night, summer picnic, kids fun, card making, scrapbooking, etc), etc... then when people arrive they get 5 tickets at the door to put into for any of the door prizes they want. OR -- if you can get a lot of really nice baskets - you could have a silent auction.

One other thing we do at some of our events -- we go to local companies and ask them to 'sponsor' our event - they pay a fee (we have done as little as $50 up to $400 per company depending on the event) - we send home a packet of information with every person that attends with advertisements from the sponsors -- sometimes coupons, etc. It is a great deal for local companies -- as advertising is expensive. AND - a great way to boost your $. Always include a great 'thank you' speech at the event (and letter in each packet) - thank your sponsors & ask people to use them. For your event, I would approach local craft stores, bakeries, shoe stores, hair salons, nail places, etc (things women like). sorry this is so long!! feel free to PM if you have questions or want additional info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
Catherine, please keep us up to date on what's going on with this. Depending on where you are in PA, I would consider coming to this kind of event.
Thanks Mary Ann!

I will keep people updated. Right now we are targeting the first half of August for timing. It would be in Wallingford PA (just SE of Philahelphia). The site has easy access from I-476.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
Thanks Mary Ann!

I will keep people updated. Right now we are targeting the first half of August for timing. It would be in Wallingford PA (just SE of Philahelphia). The site has easy access from I-476.
I used to live in Wallingford in Putnam Village. I spent lots of time on the train truckin' into Philly to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've attended something similar and it was great! I, also, would skip the goodie bags. I wouldn't expect them. And I think $25 is very reasonable. Blessings to you- I pray it will be a success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW what a cool mission!!! Do they need an engineer for the project? ;) This is what I do on a daily basis as my job.

I don't have any new ideas I just wanted to say how cool!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

What, what a great project. I've done a lot of school fundraisers and have found many local merchants who are willing to make donations. Local food stores, restaurants etc often donate gift cards.

Also, for advertising, a great place to put up ads is coffee shops, kid's class centers (gymnastics, ballet studios). Also, I know our local elementary school does something called "tuesday packets" -- very often the school will decide sponsor a local event and will send a flyer home with every student in tha package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

There have been a couple of these locally. I have never gone, but they sound like fun and are usually twelve hours, if you want to stay that long... For twenty to thirty dollars. You get table space and one meal and maybe snacks. I think they usually get donated sandwiches and then chip in for pizza, and some of the sponsoring organization members bake brownies and stuff.

One thing I have seen on the fliers is all crafters must be over thirteen or fifteen or whatever seems reasonable to you. There is usually a table of SU, Creative Memories, maybe TAC or CTMHm and sometimes the Tastefully Simple girl sponsors a tray of breads and dips. A percentage of those sales goes to the sponsor. Our local stamp store has also been offered a table, but I am not sure how much stuff she takes or whether she just offers a make and take and some business cards..

With the cuttlebug, I would make sure somebody is supervising it to make sure all the dies stay with it, and the plates don't get cracked .
I seem to remember that SU can't do cash and carry but maybe somebody could have paper pre cut for bugging.. for a donation? Not sure how that works out. Would everybody have brought extra paper??

Anyway, good luck! Have fun!

Another cool fundraiser,and it would be even more timely now, is a NO BAKE sale. You make up a clever poem and invite (still going back to the church members but they could offer it to their friends) everyone to come (or not) to your NO bAKE sale.

Do you like cookies, cakes and pies?
Do those caloric goodies go straight to your thighs?
Well we have the answer,
we have the Plan,
You don't have to fuss
nor wash the pan.

On may number six at half past four
we will ship those calories out the door
KIck up your heels or have a rest
You will know what you need best
But baking is not what we ask you to do
Who needs another chore? not you!

Into this envelope, please add money
We ask for this sweetener, not sugar or honey.
Dig deep in your pocket for water so clean
For a No Bake sale is what we mean

Forget the Brownies and Cookies and cakes!
Sit back and relax for goodness sakes!
We are digging a well , and we need to rest.
Cash sent to Africa will help dig it best!

Thank you most kindly for not baking for us.
We surely appreciate your time and your fuss.
If you run into a neighbor or two.
Please ask them to purchase a "brownie" from you.

Well anyway. That is a jumping off point at four in the morning..

Betsy
(and now I am hungry for brownies!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you have things covered. As many suggested...ask for donations! Many places are willing to do it...you just have to ask. If you are a non-profit and have a copy of your tax-status (401c or whatever it's called) you can take that to a few places and get donations. Usually Fry's (or Krogers) will do $25. Just ask to talk to the manager. Usually Walmart will do the same. Some places only have x-amount for the month and if you come in too late in the month you have to wait till the following month. So you might want to do that early in the month. Those sorts of donations could help with snacks. Also talk to local bakeries, Entemann's outlets, etc.

If you decide to do goodie bags...once again, go for donations. Grab a magazine and start sending off emails or making phone calls to all the major companies. I did a project for Make A Difference Day where we made albums to donate to the local NICU. Even without being a non-profit...many companies made small donations - enough all together for me to do the project with no $ out of my pocket.

Good luck!

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I can donate! LMK. Email me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
WOW what a cool mission!!! Do they need an engineer for the project? ;) This is what I do on a daily basis as my job.

I don't have any new ideas I just wanted to say how cool!
LOL! I'm an engineer too (or I was before all these kids :rolleyes: ), but Chemical - so I wouldn't be much help.

They are doing some really cool, innovative things over there though.

With some of the projects, they install a Merry-go-round near the school. Its connected to the well pumping system. As the kids play on it, the rotational energy pumps the water up into a holding tank - so then gravity from the tank can distribute the water to different spigot locations.

The kids get a playground toy, and the well water gets distributed to multiple locations. All without fuel. A real win-win.

I had a u-tube video showing it - but cant find it now.

This is a nice video on water in Africa though - for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ciYnlvNaEc

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndeelouView Post
NO bAKE sale.

Do you like cookies, cakes and pies?
Do those caloric goodies go straight to your thighs?
Well we have the answer,
we have the Plan,
You don't have to fuss
nor wash the pan.

On may number six at half past four
we will ship those calories out the door
KIck up your heels or have a rest
You will know what you need best
But baking is not what we ask you to do
Who needs another chore? not you!

Into this envelope, please add money
We ask for this sweetener, not sugar or honey.
Dig deep in your pocket for water so clean
For a No Bake sale is what we mean

Forget the Brownies and Cookies and cakes!
Sit back and relax for goodness sakes!
We are digging a well , and we need to rest.
Cash sent to Africa will help dig it best!

Thank you most kindly for not baking for us.
We surely appreciate your time and your fuss.
If you run into a neighbor or two.
Please ask them to purchase a "brownie" from you.

Well anyway. That is a jumping off point at four in the morning..

Betsy
(and now I am hungry for brownies!!)
WOW! you came up with that at 4am? I'm very impressed. I can think of a lot of elementry school Moms who would love this!

This Saturday I have a booth set up at the Church's tailgate sale - it will probably be more information then money generating, but that is OK too. We have some kids activities.

One thing I did at the Elementary School is have a "water carry". I had them carry 2 two and a half gallon containers of water around some cones. Just so they could get an idea of what its like.

We take it so for granted - but water is heavy. Those woman carry 40 pounds of water for sometimes more than a mile 4 or 5 times a day. Its backbreaking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitystampcoView Post
I can donate! LMK. Email me!
You bet! I'll be in touch. Thanks so much! :-D

Thanks everyone for all the ideas an encouragement!! You ladies are great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Default Update....

I just wanted to post an update here...........

Its pretty amazing, since I posted this, we have received so many private donations that we are at $13,000 with another ~$1,000 on the way from a Lutheran grant program!! All of these donations came from private individuals except $600 that came from a local school.

That means we are within $1,000 of our goal!! Isn't that astounding? I'm thrilled with the response of people - especially now when people are feeling stressed and squeezed financially.

It also means I no longer have to do the card and crop event to support the charity. I'm so glad for the project, but part of me was really looking forward to the event too. :rolleyes:

So I'm wondering if any of you Philadelphia area stampers are still interested in doing something for a different charity.

You know..... several orphanages in China were completely destroyed by the earthquakes there...............

Reply With Quote Likes