Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful how you use your USPS Priority mailers!

Today I got some swaps from a friend. She used a Priority Mailer turned inside out, sent first class. I got a postage due $2.62 with a note attached that said, "The Postal Bulletin clearly states matter mailed in USPS provided Express/Priority Mail packaging is subject to Express/Priority rates regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured or how markings may be obliterated." Wow! I wonder if this means that it actually got sent Priority then? I think it's actually a good idea to protect their mailers from being "abused," but it stinks that it's the receiver that has to pay!

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, I've not heard of that.

I've reused the boxes before. How do they know? I mean it's just a brown box in there. I don't get them just to use like that, but you know, second use of the box...

well I rekon i won't anymore. which means those boxes get just ONE life, which offends my sense of trying to get all the possible use out of things, but I see their point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I tried to do that once, I didn't know there was a "rule" against. But thankfully, my postmaster recognized the size and asked me if it was a priority box turned inside out. I'm like "yeah". He said sorry, you can't do that. I didn't want to mail it priority, I just needed a box. But anyway, I was glad he told me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Actually, if you look inside the Priority boxes it actually has 'USPS Priority' stamped on it just so people don't turn them inside out. Since they give them away free to people who actually send Priority, it is unethical to use them for non-priority rates.

It does stink that the receiver gets stuck with the additional postage, though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by spealeView Post
Actually, if you look inside the Priority boxes it actually has 'USPS Priority' stamped on it just so people don't turn them inside out. Since they give them away free to people who actually send Priority, it is unethical to use them for non-priority rates.
Yup.

Quote:

I'm surprised they didn't "return to sender" and refuse to process it . . . :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

The one I was going to use was a "recycled" one. It has already been sent through the mail as priority. And way back then, they must not have stamped the inside of them. I really don't remember though, it was so long ago. I know one thing - I haven't tried it since! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by spealeView Post

The older boxes don't have the printing inside. I know I have several of those around here (one has "January 2006" printed on the flap), and I'm sure there are lots more lurking across the country. I don't know about the mailers because I rarely use them. I agree that it isn't right to try to use this packaging for the less expensive non-Priority rate.

I always send stuff Priority anyway because I've found that it usually isn't much more expensive than First Class and it gets to its destination quicker. Plus, if you print the priority shipping labels online at the USPS website, you get free delivery confirmation. (And the Xyron 510 is perfect for adding adhesive to a label printed on regular plain white printer/copier paper.)

I often recycle boxes that have been sent to me, too. I just use a bold black Sharpie marker to cross out any prior labels I can't remove, and either put my own label on top of the old label or on the other side of the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Once when I was at the post office a lady got in trouble for using the lables that you could fill out for priority mail. She had simply cut off the priority part. The post office worker gave her a stern lecture and I leaned my lesson about using anything like that!

I don't think it is common knowledge though, and I see some people are just trying to recylce!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
The older boxes don't have the printing inside. I know I have several of those around here (one has "January 2006" printed on the flap), and I'm sure there are lots more lurking across the country. I don't know about the mailers because I rarely use them. I agree that it isn't right to try to use this packaging for the less expensive non-Priority rate.

I always send stuff Priority anyway because I've found that it usually isn't much more expensive than First Class and it gets to its destination quicker. Plus, if you print the priority shipping labels online at the USPS website, you get free delivery confirmation. (And the Xyron 510 is perfect for adding adhesive to a label printed on regular plain white printer/copier paper.)

I often recycle boxes that have been sent to me, too. I just use a bold black Sharpie marker to cross out any prior labels I can't remove, and either put my own label on top of the old label or on the other side of the box.
Why didn't I ever think of that ...I have been using shipping tape like crazy to cover the labels...that is so much easier!

I know our post office are real sticklers...there was a woman in front of me trying to use an envelope inside out and they were charging her Priority shipping and she was mad...a huge spectacle. However, the post office is far more lenient here with wrapping the box in a brown wrapper...With the $$ I spend on the brown wrap at Office Max I could have bought 5 small boxes the right size to mail items with. So much for recycling...:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post

you mentioned that you use your Xyron to put the adhesive on the back of the paper for the labels... did you know that there actually is a label you can buy at any office supply store (and at the post office too!) that will print the label right on it. It is self adhesive too. Your printer recognizes it as 8126. They are WONDERFUL!!!! Just thought you should know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Something else about priority that I didn't know:

If you use the flat rate envelope (and plan to send it priority), you can't use packing tape on it. If you do, they will charge you whatever the weight is for priority postage. I always put tape over the sticky part as extra "insurance"...I've been mailing them like that for years, and the postmaster at our local branch told me that! Am I the only one that was in the dark about this?

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

i never heard about taping the envelope. I do that all the time. I also have a ton of the flat rate boxes and ship everything in them. If I don't end up shipping it priority, then I used paper bags from the grocery store to wrap it up with and haven't had any problems.

I never even thought of turning it inside out (how clever!). Of course with the rates ever increasing, I am sending more and more out flat rate just because, for the 20-50 cents it may save, it is worth it to me for the conveinience since I don't have a postal scale and I have 2 small children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I like the pick up feature offered online!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post

If you use the flat rate envelope (and plan to send it priority), you can't use packing tape on it. If you do, they will charge you whatever the weight is for priority postage. I always put tape over the sticky part as extra "insurance"...I've been mailing them like that for years, and the postmaster at our local branch told me that! Am I the only one that was in the dark about this?

Nancy
I sent a flat rate pkg out not long ago and the gal at the PO put pkg tape on the flap because it looked like it would come loose. Never got charged any more for it. I don't think any of the PO workers do the same thing, each has there own way. One wiil charge more and the other one won't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post

Nancy
Go to the USPS website. It says that "you can" use tape as long as you don't alter the shape of the envelope. That's where it gets sticky. I've seen people mail them and they are actually almost round because of the contents and the postal worker didn't say a thing. One time they told me that I couldn't use tape around the edges only the top. I insisted and they took it saying it would be sent back. It wasn't. Now I print my postage online. I tape the edges because I've had too many ripped and I've never had one returned. When I mail outside of the country and have to take it to the post office I tape the inside and a piece across the flap.

I would ask online and then print out the answer you receive. It really sounds like your postmaster is off on this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I used the cardboard from a recycled flat rate envelope as padding on the inside of a plain envelope to mail some ATCs, the postal clerk could faintly see the printing from the flat rate cardboard through the outer envelope & said I couid be charged flat rate. I asked if they didn't believe in recycling? Another time I recycled a FedEx box to mail something at the Post Office & was told that was inappropriate too. I too have found that their policies seem to depend on the mood of the clerk & not some strict policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I wonder if you wrapped the used Priority box with brown kraft paper ('brown paper packages' type of paper that comes in rolls like wrapping paper) if you could still recycle it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
I wonder if you wrapped the used Priority box with brown kraft paper ('brown paper packages' type of paper that comes in rolls like wrapping paper) if you could still recycle it?
I've done that with no trouble. If it's wrapped in brown paper, they can't tell that it's a priority box. I mean, afterall, there ARE other boxes out there that are the same 'size'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
Yup, Carole, it would be just a brown wrapped box then, wouldn't it? Unless they have Superman vision, how would they know?

RE: buying the pre-printed labels? (I've no idea how to double quote, oh Julie??)
I always print mine and use my Xyron like the above poster, too. Just can't buy something when I know I can make it for pennies the same way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
You don't have to buy the preprinted priority mail labels-they are free. I think the PP was talking about buying plain white sticky-back labels, like you do from staples, office max, etc.

Some post offices don't allow pkgs that are wrapped like that. I don't know if ours does or not-I've never shipped anything that way. Either way I believe it is a law of some kind, like it's mail fraud to use a priority box in any way other than for priority mail. So I wouldn't risk it either way. I don't want be the person they make an example of. lol.
You're probably right now a days.....in the past, plain brown wrap was totally acceptable. Things have changed so much though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

That's what I was wondering.... how do they know this is a USPS Priority mailer? It didn't say that on "inside" which was now the outside. It was one of those "plastic-y paper" ones. I had to unwrap it all just to find out. Does the USPS have a patent on that sort of material so that they would know for sure? Come to think of it, not so sure I have seen those anywhere else.

Yeah, I'd have thought it would be a "return to sender" deal. Interesting.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristransueView Post
Once when I was at the post office a lady got in trouble for using the lables that you could fill out for priority mail. She had simply cut off the priority part. The post office worker gave her a stern lecture and I leaned my lesson about using anything like that!

I don't think it is common knowledge though, and I see some people are just trying to recylce!
The PO has started putting Priority Mail on those too on the white space - I'm sure for the reason you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Wow, eye opening thread. I've wondered about wrapping the priority boxes, but now I'm not sure I'll try it. I have a clerk at ours that DH & I refer to as the "postal nazi" (like the soup nazi on Seinfeld)-- she lectures people on everything from their handwriting to their method of wrapping. I wouldn't dare try to slide something by her if it might not be legal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #24  
lfw
Kookie Creator

Default USPS self-adhesive labels $$$

Quote:

You don't have to buy the preprinted priority mail labels-they are free. I think the PP was talking about buying plain white sticky-back labels, like you do from staples, office max, etc.

Some post offices don't allow pkgs that are wrapped like that. I don't know if ours does or not-I've never shipped anything that way. Either way I believe it is a law of some kind, like it's mail fraud to use a priority box in any way other than for priority mail. So I wouldn't risk it either way. I don't want be the person they make an example of. lol.
Here's a link saying 25 sheets for $9.00...looks like this is the only thing that's not free for processing Priority Mail.
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...8307&langId=-1

SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I think the postal office is getting SO FUSSY, if you add clear tape over your package/envelope end to ensure it is sealed, they will not send it if any of that clear tape is over the unstamped postage. If the postage stamps were not a cancelled postal stamp, why is it such an issue, it's getting annoying

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

if it has any postage on it then it is usually sent to the receiver postage due. the receiver can refuse it if they dont want to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Ha ha... we have a "postal nazi," too, Amy! I call her that in my head only of course. I will say this much, the USPS should be VERY proud of the work she does. She doesn't miss a thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
That's what I was wondering.... how do they know this is a USPS Priority mailer? It didn't say that on "inside" which was now the outside. It was one of those "plastic-y paper" ones. I had to unwrap it all just to find out. Does the USPS have a patent on that sort of material so that they would know for sure? Come to think of it, not so sure I have seen those anywhere else.

Yeah, I'd have thought it would be a "return to sender" deal. Interesting.

Cindy
That's rather surprising considering that they do sell "tyvek" envelopes that are plain white...How would they really know? I tend to pick up lots of boxes around christmas time. They make great (free) gift boxes. LOL.

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

I am not sure how they could have known for sure. I had to unwrap the whole thing and turn it inside out to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by missjenNHSView Post
That's rather surprising considering that they do sell "tyvek" envelopes that are plain white...How would they really know? I tend to pick up lots of boxes around christmas time. They make great (free) gift boxes. LOL.
When I posted before...I mentioned a woman in front of me who had turned her envelope inside out and the postal clerks knew immediately...when the envelope is turned inside ou the flap that closes the envelope has to go inside of the envelope to seal it...very different from a regular envelope.

Also, would diffrent post offices have different rules for things? I always reinforce the manilla enelopes (9x12) I use when I ship items...I am always really worried that I will send a package and it will explode upon arrival...I have never been charged additional postage, etc... I almost think that is wrong for one post office to do things one way and then another to do something completely different. I wouldn't mind changing the way I do things with regards to mailing, as long as it was the same across the board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsEView Post
you mentioned that you use your Xyron to put the adhesive on the back of the paper for the labels... did you know that there actually is a label you can buy at any office supply store (and at the post office too!) that will print the label right on it. It is self adhesive too. Your printer recognizes it as 8126. They are WONDERFUL!!!! Just thought you should know.
I've seen those and considered buying them a while ago, even though I usually don't send more than 1 package every few months. But then I thought about how when the label prints from the USPS website, about half the page is the actual label and the other half is more of a receipt. The store-bought labels looked to me as if they had adhesive over the entire size of the page. I don't need the receipt part to have adhesive, and that seemed like a waste to me.

To each his/her own. If you like them, by all means go ahead and use them. Thanks for sharing the info here in case other SCSers would be interested in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

At my PO, if I send a priority envelope, *they* provide the tape. If it's my own regular manilla envelope, they can't tape it for me. *I* have to tape it with my own tape. LOL I'm sure there's some really important reason--probably that the priority price includes the materials, and they can't give that benefit to non-priority pricing. But it's funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Default postal service quirks

Recently, I was mailing off a package and I asked them to send it parcel post. The clerk was new and he told me that if you mail a package parcel post and for some reason it can't be delivered, they will not send it back to you! Have you ever heard of this? I hadn't and I've been mailing packages PP for about, well, let's just say, horses were delivering the mail when I started!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
Yup, Carole, it would be just a brown wrapped box then, wouldn't it? Unless they have Superman vision, how would they know?
Because the flat, rectangular boxes are a very distinct shape that's not readily stocked on store shelves. Most postal clerks I've talked to can spot one immediately. It's become so common for folks to cheat and try to use the "free" boxes without paying the Priority postage that many post offices around here don't even put them out in the lobby anymore.

Here's a thought -- maybe the growing problem of people stealing these boxes and labels is part of the reason why postage prices have been rising so much these past few years. I know the cost of gas is a definite factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other influences.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #35  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

i had a postal clerk tell me I would have to pay extra if the envelope had a clasp. Even if I taped over it so it wouldn't get cought on anything. Since then I have had to cut the clasp off and put tape over the hole this created.
Went to another PO with an envelope that had a clasp, no one said a thing to me or charged me any more for it. I have received many envelopes with clasps. Who knows what side of the bed the workers get up on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Because the flat, rectangular boxes are a very distinct shape that's not readily stocked on store shelves. Most postal clerks I've talked to can spot one immediately. It's become so common for folks to cheat and try to use the "free" boxes without paying the Priority postage that many post offices around here don't even put them out in the lobby anymore.

Here's a thought -- maybe the growing problem of people stealing these boxes and labels is part of the reason why postage prices have been rising so much these past few years. I know the cost of gas is a definite factor, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other influences.
I was thinking that it was more along the lines of the fact that so many people do online bill pay now instead of mailing their bills. Who knows!!

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Today I got some swaps from a friend. She used a Priority Mailer turned inside out, sent first class. I got a postage due $2.62 with a note attached that said, "The Postal Bulletin clearly states matter mailed in USPS provided Express/Priority Mail packaging is subject to Express/Priority rates regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured or how markings may be obliterated." Wow! I wonder if this means that it actually got sent Priority then? I think it's actually a good idea to protect their mailers from being "abused," but it stinks that it's the receiver that has to pay!

Cindy

I've heard of this before.. And you're not suppose to use them for anything except what they are made for.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by parknslideView Post
I used the cardboard from a recycled flat rate envelope as padding on the inside of a plain envelope to mail some ATCs, the postal clerk could faintly see the printing from the flat rate cardboard through the outer envelope & said I couid be charged flat rate. I asked if they didn't believe in recycling? Another time I recycled a FedEx box to mail something at the Post Office & was told that was inappropriate too. I too have found that their policies seem to depend on the mood of the clerk & not some strict policy.
I think the reason that they are so strict is that too many people wouldn't just recycle the envelopes but get new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
Recently, I was mailing off a package and I asked them to send it parcel post. The clerk was new and he told me that if you mail a package parcel post and for some reason it can't be delivered, they will not send it back to you! Have you ever heard of this? I hadn't and I've been mailing packages PP for about, well, let's just say, horses were delivering the mail when I started!

Jutta
Parcel Post is "the worst". I have had problems with three packages that were mailed parcel post. One never showed up and was never returned to sender. They don't return them so if they can't deliver for whatever reason is lost.

Two other sat for almost a month before being processed. I would only use Parcel Post with insurance and only if it was substantially less. Usually, at that point its a better bet to use Fed Ex or UPS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The postmaster here says the same thing. Really annoying and she's great otherwise. If I ever had to tape one I'd probably just drop it in a mailbox somewhere or else print out the page that says it's ok to use some tape on it. I get them with TONS of tape AND altered sizes.
Here is the info from the USPS site. I would print it and keep it in your purse or just print out your postage online and mail it.

Envelopes
� Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes can be used for both domestic and international shipping:

� Available anywhere in the U.S. for $4.60

� One rate to Canada and Mexico for $9.00

� One rate to all other countries for $11.00

*4 pound maximum for international shipments
� The dimensions of the envelope are 12 1/2" X 9 1/2".
� The contents of the flat rate envelope must be confined within the envelope, using the flap adhesive as the primary means of closure.
The flap must close easily, adhere to the envelope and may be secured with tape if desired.� The design and shape of the envelope may not be altered or enlarged in any way to fit the contents.
Reply With Quote Likes