Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge for just stamping?

For all you non demos, I have several good customers who would probaly love regular evenings to come to my home, use my stamp sets and ink pads, punches, etc (non-consumable items) for several hours.

As a customer what would you be willing to pay for say 5 hours of stamping time and what would you want for that money? Thanks for helping me service my customers!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My demo has a stamping class and charges 6.00 for 4 cards, but also has stamp camp where you can use all her stuff like stamps punches inkpads and you bring your own cardstock. There is actually no charge for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 11:19 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

To be honest if it was just stamping I wouldn't come if I had to pay something. But maybe that's just me being cheap! However maybe for your customers they would see it as worthwhile, but personally I wouldn't pay someone just to use their stamps and ink, I would rather save that money and buy it myself then. just my 2 cents!
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I once paid $10 to use someone else's stamps/inks but not paper and such. She did provide snacks (cheap ones). And I really thought that was too much. I only did because I thought more would be involved for $10. But I would pay something, maybe $5 for an afternoon of using someone else's ink and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onita76
To be honest if it was just stamping I wouldn't come if I had to pay something. But maybe that's just me being cheap! However maybe for your customers they would see it as worthwhile, but personally I wouldn't pay someone just to use their stamps and ink, I would rather save that money and buy it myself then. just my 2 cents!
What if the fees covered refreshments or pizza or something long that line? Or a few sheets of cardstock?

I'm glad you asked this question because I've been thinking of starting something similiar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

One of the CM consultants I used to do business with would have monthly crop nights along the same basis as what you're proposing. The customers could use her trimmers, punches, and other non-consumable items, and she had stickers, paper, adhesives, etc. available for purchase and she'd take orders for things she didn't have in stock. She also did a short presentation to show the newest products and demonstrate some simple technique, like border ideas or some other small embellishments. She provided lemonade and light refreshments (cookies, popcorn, etc.). She never charged a fee for her crop nights, but she had a cup out to accept donations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

my CM lady in San Diego did this, but charged $10. I only went a few times. I held monthly "stamp with me" nights where clients could come and use inkpads, stamps, tools--no paper or adhesive. No fee, just stamp with me, and I make it clear I will be working on my projects, not teaching you how to do anything new. Very rarely did anyone come!! Now they are asking for it again, but I just think it will be like before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

People, mostly CM consultants, hold open crops all the time. And they charge a fee for you to come and crop -- $5.00 an hour, $10.00 a night. The fee includes the use of all the tools -- cutters, etc. -- as well as advice . So I don't think it's out of line at all to charge people to come and stamp if you let them use your stamps, inks and other non-consumables. I would be looking for a time to stamp away from my kid, personally, so this sounds really good to me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Our lss has crops. I don't go, but my daughter has gone to the teen crop a few times. The fee was about $18.00, but she really wanted to go with a friend, so I let her. The second time, I had the audacity to ask what the fee went for. I knew that had pizza - 1 slice per girl, if I understand correctly. They also had soda, but my DD doesn't even drink soda, so I always sent her with a drink.
Anyway, I was curtly told that the fee paid for the use of the diecut machine, which was very expensive (with several different alphabets). I still feel like that is a lot of money. She had to bring the paper to put in the machine. She could buy stuff on a tab the whole time she was there.
Now, I encourage DD and her friend to scrapbook at my house. We have tons of stuff, and even if her friend uses a bunch of my paper and stickers, it is still probably cheaper than the $18.
Sorry if this got sidetracked a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is such a good thread. I am going to be a demo - have the forms, but haven't turned them in yet - and I'm thinking about my first Stamp Camp. My adult daughter commented that she would be offended if she were invited to a demo party and asked to pay. I don't know how to explain it to the people I invite - the Make and Take is a good "selling point" I guess, but now I just feel funny about charging for it. I'd appreciate hearing about your personal experiences.

Sorry, is it rude to jump in on someone's thread with a question of my own. Ack, so much to learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

If I was paying, I wouldn' t attend unless there was at least one make n take type item. This being said-- adhesive is expensive! I would make everyone bring their own adhesive if I was a demo.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

My demo opens her house every Tuesday night. (If she's around and free - which she usually is!) She just plans to stamp - even if no one shows up. She lets me use any stamps, paper, supplies, etc. she has and charges me $3 for about 2 hours of stamping. After working all day, 2 hours is plenty for me. She has lots of sample cards she's made so I can get ideas. I know which sets she has and plan ahead by cruising cards from this site before I head over to her place.

There are usually only 3 of us and it's a fun way to spend the evening. The 3 of us are now really good friends and have a great evening. It's a great way to try some colors I don't have or different techniques I've never tried on my own.

With my busy schedule, I usually only make it once a month but it's a night out that I really look forward to. I consider it wonderful fringe benefit from my demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dpn't really believe in paying for a stamp night where you are using the host's stamps and inks. If you are bringing the consumables, then you should not charge. As far as refreshments, you can do it as a pot luck or "bring your own snack to share" type deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

My first Stampin' Up experience was a "make-and-take" night - there were about 8 of us and we each paid $5.00 for three cards that we made (they all had a bit of extra stuff involved - embossing, beads, eyelets, etc.). From that we ordered our first order and now there are about four that are hooked. Now as a group we just get together once a month - once a week closer to the holiday craft fair season - and swap back and forth. But it was that first $5 "make-and-take" that got us hooked!!

Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

As an ex-cmc, I would say that if you are devoting yourself to your customers (that is if they are getting your attention and help, instead of you doing your own stuff) then charging a small fee to cover snacks, wear/tear on your supplies and your time is very reasonable. If you're doing your own stamping, then maybe make it pot-luck (you provide the sodas, they bring the food is always easy).
For crops, I used to do light snacks and a small "goodie" for everyone. I charged $10 for 5 hours, and had all my tools out for general use. An inspiration sheet would be comparable, and maybe a quick technique demo. (This is the moment for those who bought embossing powder and don't know what to do with it to ask without embarrassment.)

HTH!
Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I guess those of us from CM have a different take on this. If you plan on being there as a demo, your time must be worth something. If you are going to be stamping with everyone, that's different. When I was a CM consultant, I didn't charge a fee for my first workshop, and I regretted it. I worked my butt off. I didn't sit down for a mintue, everyone had so many questions. When you do home parties, the idea is you make money off the orders that come in. If noone is ordering, I think a small fee is very reasonable. Wear and tear, your time, and your ink (which is a consumable, unless you have magic ink pads, lol) should be worth something. After my first workshop, I charged $2 per hour, or $5 for a 3-hour workshop. I had light snacks, beverages (tea, coffee, water), and a 15 minute demonstration with handout, like an inspiration sheet. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a larger stamping space and more supplies / stamps than my demo. While I do always attend open houses and love to learn new techniques from her; I would not go to her house to just stamp - even for free!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I definately agree about having everyone bring their own adhesive. I swear it feels like that where most of my money goes lately. I wouldn't have a problem with paying $5 or so for a couple of hours of using someone else's stamps and inks. It would be worth it to me to mess around with new stamps even if I had to bring my own card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

in addition to the other suggestions, maybe you could charge a fee like "5 dollars for 3 cards, 10 dollars for 8 cards" so that they could make and pay whatever they wanted to get out of the night.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I would pay for a make and take, but not for a stamp get-together, whether I was using your ink & stamps or not.

My demo and I get together and I bring a snack to share and we stamp. She generously lets me use her ink and use any of her stamp sets. She has offered her papers and other things as well, but I won't take advantage, I bring my own. We have a great time and I feel besides her being my friend in the first place, it creates a bond and a loyalty to her. I make all of my major purchases through her.

I think loyalty should be what you're after and if you are generous, then your customers will come back to you and think of YOU before someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

My demo has a Stamp-a-stack and usually we make ten cards with all of her stamps, ink & paper for $15 for each person. However, she does have a set design for each card we make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I regulary go to stamp camp, it is $10 for 8 cards all supplies are included and the smacks are divine! There is no pressure to buy but I usually have something I need. It is a great source of ideas and the price is right, beats purchased cards any day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unless you have experienced stampers coming... you'll probably end up giving lots of advise and help. In other words... you may not get much stamping done yourself.

That said... your time is worth something and so is the wear and tear on your cutters, punches, ink pads, etc. Since demonstrators don't usually get many orders from these types of get-togethers... I think charging a small fee is a good idea. You might even charge a $5 fee that's refundable if they place an order of a certain amount.

Just don't ever think your time isn't worth something! Don't work for free!

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

One thing to consider - I had thought about doing classes or technique nights and charge but my husband absolutely won't let me do it at our house. If you are charing someone for a service in your home and someone gets hurt, your homeowners insurance may not cover it. Odds are nothing would ever happen to someone, which I tried to reason with dh, but while he'll let me get away with a lot, he is completely set against that. I know its a longshot but you never know.

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

My demo has had a few "open stamp nights" complete unrestricted use of everything for 4 hours for 15 dollars. Worth it for me, just to get out of the house for a bit and we have a blast!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:53 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sencie
Unless you have experienced stampers coming... you'll probably end up giving lots of advise and help. In other words... you may not get much stamping done yourself.

That said... your time is worth something and so is the wear and tear on your cutters, punches, ink pads, etc. Since demonstrators don't usually get many orders from these types of get-togethers... I think charging a small fee is a good idea. You might even charge a $5 fee that's refundable if they place an order of a certain amount.

Just don't ever think your time isn't worth something! Don't work for free!

Sencie
That's right...And don't forget clean up! My house is always a wreck after events.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

My former demo would have "Stamp til you Cramp" nights where we could use her stamps and ink, but brought everything else of our own. I believe she charged $10, OR you could give her an order--which is what I happily did each time. For me it was part of the draw of the event (10% S&H with even a small order, like at a workshop), and something I looked forward to. My demo gave lots of help and advice, but usually was working on something of her own as well, which I appreciated, because it made me nervous to think she was just spending all her time watching what I was doing! There were usually 6-9 of us there, so it appealed to more people than just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:15 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa
I would pay for a make and take, but not for a stamp get-together, whether I was using your ink & stamps or not.

My demo and I get together and I bring a snack to share and we stamp. She generously lets me use her ink and use any of her stamp sets. She has offered her papers and other things as well, but I won't take advantage, I bring my own. We have a great time and I feel besides her being my friend in the first place, it creates a bond and a loyalty to her. I make all of my major purchases through her.

I think loyalty should be what you're after and if you are generous, then your customers will come back to you and think of YOU before someone else.
I agree. My demo has a stamp camp every other month. She charges $10 for 8-10 cards that you make but if you order, then that $10 goes towards your order. She would rather have people happy. She sees it as attracting customers long-term rather than just getting their money up front now. A certain amount of your profit goes back into your business and that's just a business rule no matter what type of business you have. My father owns his own restaurant and I have known that rule for years. You have to invest some of your overall profit back into your customers...whether its giving away ink or cardstock at a stamp get together, or buying more product...in order that the customers stay with you long term.

You need to know your customers and what they will and won't do. My demo has a lot of customers who really can't afford much more than $10. She would rather them purchase products and be long term customers, and help them learn to use what they buy. She remembers not having the money to do both. But if you were in an area where the average income was over half a million a year, then those ladies will be able to afford more (theoretically). Know your customers and what they can do, what they feel is fair, and then you'll have customers for life. Just be willing to make you own rules. There is no hard and fast set rule for how you want to conduct your own business. Make it agreeable to those you sell to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I would pay between $5 and $10 for a get together, depending on how long it is. It would be great to get to use some stamp sets I don't have and get advice from my demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #32  
Hot Wheels

I don't think that i would pay anything for just to sit and stamp. if it was to learn a new tech or something like that i would pay.

My LSS has crop nights and we all come, bring our own stuff and use the stores stuff, and we have to pay a little fee, 3 dollars pr hour to use the sizzix machine. I don't think i would go to that if i had to pay.
Cards made in 2010:60
I'm going to PORCHA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

My former demo had Stampers-10. We each paid $10.00 per year and it was for 10 months. There were 10 stampers and we all got together 1 time per month at our demo's home. She had 3-4 cards for us to make and had all the cardstock cut. We stamped and assembled, we also had embellishments to add. They were awesome cards!!! The requirement was to purchase $15.00 in product each time and we each had the opportunity to be a hostess 1 time.(the reason we had 10 of us and did this for 10 months). When it was your hostess month we could also do another workshop at our home to earn more money. It was AWESOME and we all enjoyed it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dxychick
I agree. My demo has a stamp camp every other month. She charges $10 for 8-10 cards that you make but if you order, then that $10 goes towards your order. She would rather have people happy. She sees it as attracting customers long-term rather than just getting their money up front now. A certain amount of your profit goes back into your business and that's just a business rule no matter what type of business you have.

That is incredibly, incredibly generous of your demo! I am not a demo, but if I am walking away with 8 to 10 cards, I think I owe my demo some money for supplies. I know that we get to make several things when my demo does a workshop at my house, but I always place a huge order, and my friends place orders as well. Sometimes, she gets a brand new customer from me. But, 8 to 10 is a huge amount! I have never asked about the profit margin. I guess that would be an interesting conversation to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

for just the use of your inks and stamps, I would pay no more then $5...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree. My demo has a stamp camp every other month. She charges $10 for 8-10 cards that you make but if you order, then that $10 goes towards your order. She would rather have people happy. She sees it as attracting customers long-term rather than just getting their money up front now. A certain amount of your profit goes back into your business and that's just a business rule no matter what type of business you have. My father owns his own restaurant and I have known that rule for years. You have to invest some of your overall profit back into your customers...whether its giving away ink or cardstock at a stamp get together, or buying more product...in order that the customers stay with you long term.
First of all... if your demo is letting you make 10 cards for $10 she's not making a profit on that. If you don't place an order she's only breaking even.

If you place an order (say a $50 order) and she lets the $10 go towards the order she isn't making any money on your order either (because remember that $10 really paid for the supplies you needed to make the 10 cards). If you order less than $50 she'd actually be losing money.

If your demo is only a hobby demo and only wants to meet her sells requirements then maybe this can work for her, but she won't be making any money. In other words... she's doing a lot of work for free!

I don't blame you for loving the fact that your demo offers this. It's a great deal. But don't think it makes good business sense. Offering specials are great... but it sounds like your demo is giving away the store.

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consuelo
That's right...And don't forget clean up! My house is always a wreck after events.
No kidding!! I think clean up after a stamp camp can be crazy... but I can't imagine cleaning up after everyone had access to all 200 of my stamp sets (not to mention ink pads, punches, etc. etc. etc.). I don't even want to think about it!!!:shock:

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I look at it this way. I wouldn't go to a restaurant, bring my own food, and expect to use their facilities(including employees to setup and cleanup) and not pay a fee. I don't know of any restaurants that let you use their facilities without ordering any food or paying some type of fee.

On a side note, my demo will lend out her stamp sets to people to use. I feel really bad doing this. If I like a set enough to make my Christmas cards with it, I think I should buy it. Keep in mind that many demos do this as a business, to make money. If you place a $50 order, that demo is only making $10. If that demo gives away 8-10 cards per person, and they place a $50 order, she isn't making any money. Remember, any money a demo does bring in is income, and is taxed as such. So, a $10 profit is really only about $7 after taxes. I pay my babysitter more than that. I certainly think my demo deserves more than that.

Sorry to rant. My former CM upline once told me that people would only value me as much as I valued myself. I don't know very many people that work for free. I certainly wouldn't want to. Only you know your customers and what they would be willing to pay, or not pay. Every area is different. I live in the Seattle area, and everything is expensive here. I don't think my demo would have a hard time getting people to pay for a night like you describe. Just my $.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #39  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I know 2 CTMH demos who ONLY do this and they are very successful demos. Theo both have studios which hold 8 guests. Both charge $8 or $2 off for each guest you bring. They insist on RSVP's and always fill up. They give workshops for customers in the studios before the scheduled "open workshop" time so Open workshop is say 6 PM every thrus and 3-8 on Saturdays. You want a workshop for your friends, so your workshop will be from 1-3 on Saturday before open workshop time. These ladies are always full and have tons of regulars working on projects and swaps. They take turns bringing something to eat for the "kitchen" And understand that the $ is to replentish the supplies. The Demos, (especially one of them) has thousand upon thousands of stamps from tons of companies including about everything in the CTMH catty both old and new. There are prize drawings and a very quick demo during the "open" time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

My SU demp charges $20 and we make 4 projects (she provides everything we need) and serves a SMALL snack and water. I always go, I'm a sucker for that stuff

I'm a CM consultant and I have monthly crops, I charge $5 for 5 hours, serve GOOD snacks, dessert and have Water, Tea and coffee. I show the new product and give a mini 10 minute lesson, we call them Crop Talks. They can use all my non conusmables and purchase whatever they'd like. I usually have 3-8 people every month.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes