Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapskate or Stamping Lunatic? Is there a difference?

Okay, I know I'm not the only one that thinks this way, so it makes it easier to share! Today when I was detaching the perforated edge w/the holes in it that is on top of our order forms, I thought to myself--this would make a perfect template for eyelet setting! Obviously the paper w/holes wouldn't last forever, but it would be a cheap template anyway. Don't worry, I ordered the Crafter's Tool Kit last week and it's suppose to be here tomorrow!

Now here's the scary one--when someone was about to throw away a plastic cookie container last week, I decided it would make a fantastic ribbon organizer! It was from those yummy sugar cookies with oodles of frosting on top. (I think they are Loft House or some similar brand.) Anyway, the indentations in the plastic to hold the cookies upright would be perfect for about 10+ spools of 7/8" organdy ribbon or several more grosgrain ribbon spools.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default cheapskate who me??

Don't feel like you are the only one. Last night I was making dinner ( I hate to admit it was out of a box but I was a bad planner yesterday) and the box dinner had a white cardboard thing in it that held in the can of sauce. As I went to throw it away, I said to myself, "self this would make a great ornament holder and I can stamp on it". So there it sits on my table waiting for me to do something wonderful with it. I am always pulling cardboard and paper out of the mail to add to my stamped images. My sons like to color on "junk mail" too so now I know what the use of junk mail is.
So to answer your question, "Stamping lunatic" It is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

You are funny! I think it's a good thing when my dinners are out of a box because I haven't subjected anyone to my own pathetic attempt at cooking! Just kidding!

I like your idea about the ornament holder. That would even make it easy to hold an ornament to paint or draw on it. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lanie,
You are NOT a cheapskate. You are very conscientious. You are only thinking of your environment. Such a small action as being resourceful is saving a little of our planet. Hmm, sounds good to me. What do you think, Cheapie, er uh, Lanie.

Actually, I love finding double uses for something. Whenever I am shopping, I frequently pick up an item and put it back down and say, "I can make that with an old shoebox, film canister, etc." I would rather use my $ for stamps or ink. I just saw a ribbon holder at the store, and basically it was a shoe box with a few holes in one side and a dowel inside. I could definitely make that and I will. I'll just have to buy a container to put my shoes in, hahaha.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Cheapie! I like it! Maybe I should change my username!

I knew I wasn't crazy, just being a conscientious person trying to save our planet! Thanks for the reassurance! I'll go with that idea!

Do tell what you use film canisters for. When I taught Kindergarten, I used them to hold lost teeth and money that had to go back and forth with a child. Now what do I do with them in real life?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Using the order form holes to position eyelets was a tip they gave at regionals...my upline just told me about it this morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, this rumour about using those holes from the order forms has been making the rounds of other stamping boards I belong to for quite a while now. I haven't used it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 08:50 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I haven't been to Regionals and I don't know of any other stamping forums other than this and SU, but someone thinks like me! YIPPEE! My discoveries are always a day late and a dollar short as the saying goes.

What other things am I missing out on? I'm glued to SCS so much I don't 'get out' very often!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Okay, so I just couldn't justify buying the tool kit as I've just got too many eyelet things already but I really really wanted the hole placement thing...so I was looking at one and just had to trace onto a piece of paper...later on I punched it onto milar. Not to worry though because I just spent all the money on stamps instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,043 Likes on 478 Posts

I think that was actually a stamping tip to managers and above, because I got an email from my upline's upline over the summer about using the toppers from our order forms! We get weekly tips passed through her downline, and that was one of them!

I have to confess, as I type, I have a baggie of untouched IBC bottlecaps sitting close to me, just begging to be used. I heard that if you use a 1 inch circle punch, the punched shape will fit right inside that cap. Of course, I can't FIND a 1 inch circle punch anywhere, but when I do I'll have those cute bottlecaps all ready! The trend will probably be long gone, though. :lol:
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 02:20 AM   #11  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have been using the holes on those order forms for about a year now. It is the perfect spacing and is cheap!! Lol
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 03:17 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default How's this..

I was getting ready to throw away the fruit container from my baby daughter. You know the new Gerber plastic ones that have lids? My HUSBAND stopped me! He said "Isn't that something you can stamp on if you wash it?" I almost choked! I guess I've rubbed off on the family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't even believe that I am going to share what I have saved. But, if anyone will understand ~ you girls certainly will. I bought a crate of clementines last week and as I was cutting off the red plastic mesh off I thought "Hmmm, what can I use this for". So, it is sitting at my stamping space just waiting for the perfect project. Any ideas?? I just could not bring myself to throw it away. :? :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:41 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I bought a crate of clementines last week and as I was cutting off the red plastic mesh off I thought "Hmmm, what can I use this for". So, it is sitting at my stamping space just waiting for the perfect project. Any ideas?? I just could not bring myself to throw it away.
hmmmm brayer over it for a background??? or scrunch it up and dab it on your inkpad and then on the paper for another type of background?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:34 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

When my DD was in the hospital last weekend, the had a planned power outage while they hooked up the new build. For lunch that day they served on white styrofoam trays! I scooped up Jill's and her roomates! My DH of course thought I was crazy. I am not sure what I plan for them.

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 05:45 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm mostly a lurker, but reusing otherwise discarded items is my kind of crafting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy-o
I just saw a ribbon holder at the store, and basically it was a shoe box with a few holes in one side and a dowel inside. I could definitely make that and I will. I'll just have to buy a container to put my shoes in, hahaha.
After seeing Marty Stew's ribbon holders, I made my own ribbon holders from pencils and shoeboxes. Then I upgraded to a dowel sticks on hooks mounted to the $5 dresser I refinished into a craft supplies storage center.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2004, 06:08 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Oh how I love you, my cheapie, creative, recycling, reusing sista's!

As for the mesh...MESH? Could you run it through xyron and use it as a back round? It's a holiday color!

I take a weird kind of pride in scrounging things for my stampin area. Old dressers, desk, sewing organizers etc. I have an old bookshelf that brought my father up short when he ventured downstairs last time he was here. He said it was the first piece of furninture he and my mom bought when they were married in 1952!

I'd rather spend the money on stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the film canisters for anything small. My favorite use right now is for hemp and twine. I poke a hole in the cap with a stylus or piercing tool and pull one of the string end out while the rest of the mess is inside the canister. It's like a mini version of a ribbon holder.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2004, 11:59 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I have some mesh bags saved from plastic easter eggs. I'm going to use them for soccer nets on cards like the one they showed at regionals.

You wouldn't believe the stuff I've saved. I just finished switching my stamp and sewing rooms. It took 3 days, so far and I still have piles in my living room to finish sorting. I have more room to work now, tho.

I have 4 bags of those international coffee tins. I need to make cover wraps for them. Put candy in them gifts for office staff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:38 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I bought a crate of clementines last week and as I was cutting off the red plastic mesh off I thought "Hmmm, what can I use this for".
I have some of that mesh sitting on my stamping table as I write. I've had it since the last clementine season and haven't used it yet! There is a background effect done by placing the mesh on CS and brayering over it. I think there's a card in the gallery using sea shells.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 03:48 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks for the tip on using film canisters for hemp etc. I have lots of stuff like that messing up a drawer. I will have to try that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 05:00 AM   #22  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Default Re: How's this..

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiefred
I was getting ready to throw away the fruit container from my baby daughter. You know the new Gerber plastic ones that have lids? My HUSBAND stopped me! He said "Isn't that something you can stamp on if you wash it?" I almost choked! I guess I've rubbed off on the family!
My husband kept ALL of those for himself to use in his wood workshop! He uses them for glue projects and keeping track of little pieces of things. I think they'd be good if you were trying to keep track of eyelets, brads, etc. I got the recycled glass jars, though. Can I stamp on those??? Bwahahaha :lol:

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cheapskate or stamping lunatic?

Nothing wrong with saving $$ and the environment at the same time through "creative recycling" -- more to spend on stamps!

I know I posted this on a different thread last week, but I'll ask it again...Do any of you also find yourself seeing strange objects as "potential embellishments" for cardmaking? The other day I was replacing a shower curtain liner and one of the silver reinforcement rings came off and rolled onto the floor. I picked it up, tossed it in the waste basket and THEN RETRIEVED IT to examine it more closely. I started thinking... would this look cute as a hubcap on the Loads of Love truck????? (for any of you who might be pondering this very question, no, it's not the right size.) But I saved them all anyway -- hopefully I'll think of some way to use them!) LOL. And yes, I still have the mesh from orange bags AND onion bags (different style mesh) hoping to incorporate them into some background technique. My biggest problem is storing all this "stuff" and then remembering it's there. How do you guys organize your "potential embellishments?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 06:20 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Great ideas

I agree with you ladies "recycling" anything we can to use for our stamping works for me too. I'm still working on getting my "Crafter's tool kit" so the idea of using the perforated strip from our order forms is worth a try. I have collected the trays flat carboard trays where cans are packed in at the supermarket and also the flat arboard sheets that carstock comes in at the JoAnne Etc's stores. The ladies look at me strange and wonder what I need them for but they graciously smile and say "sure you can have them". I get them to make the flaps on "squash books". Thanks for sharing all of your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,043 Likes on 478 Posts

I have to confess, I have already saved enough Pringles containers to store my wheels in, but now I'm saving the lids from them to use with the Aqua Pens. They are almost exactly like the platic "dishes" that we used at Convention to put a drop of reinker in, to use the AquaPens. I have plenty, but I keep saving them for "just in case!" Maybe as a bonus to a customer who buys the pens and a reinker, for her to use
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I use the plastic container from my icetea mix for pencil pencil crayons, extra markers I have (although I keep these in a basket on it's side), and misc items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh Gosh! Lanie, you are NOT a cheapskate!
Ever since I started stamping I've been hording interesting scraps of ribbon from packages, old floppy disk containers (the kind with the plastic cover that flips up), wire from old notebooks, CD cases that come free in the mail with trial CD's (and I save the CDs in them too)

Never know what one can make with these items! Besides, its reusing! Good for the environment!
:P
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I hadn't thought to use the mesh from the clementine boxes, but the boxes themselves are great little wooden boxes in our area. I have those lining the shelves in my garage and have used them to organize garage stuff - like car cleaning products in one, golf balls in another, charcoal lighter stuff in another, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes