Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2004, 06:40 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Stamps

Is there a "household" secret to cleaning stamps? I am waiting until Jan. to get my stampin scrub and cleaner in my demo kit.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 10:50 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I used wet paper towels for the first year, but I have a gal in my downline that uses baby wipes. I tried to talk her out of them because I have 3 little ones and know how expensive those can be! But she swears by them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to trburgi

I used baby wipes until I got my SU cleaner. I would only use them in a pinch now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After reading the tip about the Yo Yo Yellow Pad preventing Basic Black from staining stamps, I bought a spare one.

Now, when any new rubber is inked for 1st time with Basic Black, I clean it FIRST on my Yo Yo pad reserved for that, and then against the scrub + mist.

Works like a charm!

I will need to use solvent cleaner to remove BB stains from older stamps, and then will forever after use the Yo Yo first rule, when cleaning stamps after using BB.

As for cleaning CRAFT ink, I find it helpful to stamp off excess ink on my scrap paper, rub it against a baby wipe and then against my misted Scrub (craft ink is pretty thick and it can muddy up the cleaning ability of your scrub pretty quickly, I've found, so that extra step of baby wipe helps keep my scrubber cleaner longer for other clean-ups so I don't have to go rinse it out and interrupt my creative low . . . !)

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Julie,

Thanks for the tip about the YoYo Yellow ink pad. Let me get this straight - after you stamp in Basic Black then you ink with Yo Yo Yellow before cleaning??

Thanks for the tip!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I use a product called "AWESOME" which can be purchased at your local "Dollar Tree" store for only $1.00. I have used this for a couple of years now. I do condition my stamps with SU mist every couple of months. I have never had any problems with my stamps. It even cleans "Staz-On" ink. And it is safe enough to clean spots off your carpet and many other things. Try it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks, JulieHRR!

So to get it straight...after stamping with Basic Black you then clean the stamp with Yo-yo yellow? I will have to order another YYY to try that.

Natasha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoppingspark
Julie,

Thanks for the tip about the YoYo Yellow ink pad. Let me get this straight - after you stamp in Basic Black then you ink with Yo Yo Yellow before cleaning??

Thanks for the tip!!!
Yes. Kymbers shared this tip a while back!

I was doubtful, believe me. But, there's an ingredient in the chemical composition of Yellow dye (classic) ink that actually lifts the black ink that would normally create a stain on your stamp. (you could use Yo Yo, or Summer Sun)

Now, if your stamps are already stained, it will not REMOVE that old stain. You'll probably need a solvent based cleaner like Staz-On Cleaner, or my favorite, which is Judikins Solvent based cleaner for permanent and fabric inks (very stinky, must use in well-ventilated area).

If your stamps are NEW, works like a charm. Just stamp with Basic black, then rub against Yo Yo, then clean normally on misted Scrub.

Remember, you will want a spare Yo Yo pad for this, so don't contaminate your good STAMPING yo yo for this. I also bought an additional reinker; the pad will look stained/blackish very quickly. But, when it gets dry or no longer effectively cleans, it will probably simply need a reinking to rejuvenate the cleaning properties. I haven't reached that point yet, but my cleaning yo yo looks wretched; good think my nice one is still pristinely yellow for workshops! Hah!

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes