Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colouring stamps

Hi
thanks to everyone who has replied to my various messages! it is nice to be in a forum and feel so welcome.

I have another question I am a total beginner and I havent really been able to find any you tube videos or information about this so i thought i would ask it here.

Say you have a stamp but it would look better coloured in than just one colour is there a way to colour the actual stamp with something (perhaps copic markers or something else) and literally stamp it? so say for eg you have christmas holly and you want the leaves green and the berries red could you colour this in with something and then stamp it or do you have to stamp with black to create and outline and then colour it in?

I may be completely off asking this question but I am sure on one video or another i saw people doing just this and i cannot find it!

also can you heat emboss with more than one colour using the eg above emboss the leaves green and the berries red or is it only possible to emboss the outline and make it black and then colour in after it has dried

I am so excited about trying stamping and thanks to everyone who replied re the heat embossing since my situation is a bit different i havent actually been able to try it yet for one reason or another but i have to by next week because i have to finish my dads birthday card and all it needs is happy birthfday and although ive got stickers i would love to emboss it with a stamp!

Thanks for all your help.

I dont have copic markers yet however a store in the US (i am in Australia) was selling these brushables by Zig at a fraction of the cost i saw a video with them making a card and it was fantastic. The shop is called scrapbooking made simple and their You tube mini classes are fantastic and actually what got me hooked on the idea of stmaping.

i started out i was just going to use sentiment stamps instead of stickers but then i found cute picture stamps and decided to try embossing and it just went from there!

I have only ever done paper tole cards and i think it would be great to expand my range

from Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is often done by coloring the stamp with WATER-based markers (like Stampin' Up or Tombow). It's called 'direct to rubber'. Take your marker and color with the fat brush tip right on the rubber. Make the leaves green and berries red. You can add shading too, with a second darker color of green or red. Then "huff" on it with your breath to moisten it. Or give it a very light mist of water if you want a watercolory look. I really don't think this would work with Copics (alcohol based), but can't say for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, before you invest the significant money in Copics, my advice is to take a class and try it. With Copics you have to layer color. With me, I did not like them. My natural inclination is to blend (as in watercolor). It's personal preference as far as coloring technique, but I strongly recommend you try them before buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,135 Likes on 512 Posts

Erin, welcome to Splitcoast!! So glad you're here!

Here is a tutorial in our resource section that explains how to color different sections of your stamp image with markers.

Splitcoaststampers - Misting with Markers Technique Tutorial by Beate Johns

++++++++++++++++

This video tutorial has some fun techniques for using different colors of embossing powder on one stamped piece:

<iframe width="425" height="239" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q5-a5jXE5WU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

How cool is this?! I have often stamped and then coloured in my image using coloured pencils or blending markers - sort of like it was a colouring book. This will be such a neat thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #6  

Welcome, SoBelle0! Hope you'll share your results with us!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I find that from years of direct to rubber stamping, one of the best markers for this is Uchida Marvy BRUSH markers (not the Le Plume). The brush markers have an agent that helps them to react in water and stay moist longer. The also have a nice fat tip that is wonderful for coloring on stamps.

A good source for this kind of stamping is Art Impressions. The have perfected this kind of stamping IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Thank you so much for the video! It is even more than what i wanted to do! i had no idea you could emboss over the top of embossing thats super cool! I had some idea that the versa mark pen could be used in that way because of a scrapbooking made simple video where she showed u how to only colour the parts of the stamp you wanted to emboss with the versamark pen (which i have since purchased)

the best thing about the brushables I do believe that are still alcohol based at least i think they are so they are similar to copics with one major difference you do NOT have to do the blending its done for you.

I am probably not explaining this very well and I will provide the link at the end of this post u can see what i mean. They are double ended both with a brush tip you get 48 colours on 24 pens apparently the lighter colour is 50 pecent tint of the 1st colour but u dont have to use a blender pen or whatever its called to actually blend it. The video said even kids did it in their class!!! So i reckon i would be OK. also the entire set was on sale for $50 US dollars in australia the cheapest was $5.50 AU per pen (thats like $6 US per pen!!! So they were a lot lot cheaper than the copics i believe the sale has ended.

Basically u do have to do the colouring as in do the lightest colour first and experiment and make shadowing if u want to but it just seemed very very simple.

beause I am bedridden i am not able to attend any classes i would love to if i got well enough though!

I never knew that the stamps had to be directly applied with water based pens i will have to check about the brushables because I just cant remember if they are alcohol or water based.

In any case heres the video i watched it is quite long but very informative I will have a look at the tutorial link as well. I am amazed by all the stuff u can do with stamping/embossing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTeJUT4qyAE

It says on another website that the brushables are waterproof and i think that means they are alcohol based
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

can you do this to acrylic rubber stamps? or only ones out of actual rubber? the direct colouring i mean? I am so intrigued by the whole thing i just hope i get to try all this soon. The package with the markers is coming in the mail soon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hello Erin, and welcome to splitcoast stampers.

You're definitely in the right place to ask about all sorts of techniques for stamping. I don't know anything about the brushables you have mentioned so I can't help you with any advise there. But there are so many ways to add colour to your stamping projects. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I was wrong and found the following information about the zig brushables (they are water based and can be used on stamps apparently

ZIG Brushables
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #12  

Ohmygoodness, that video is adorable.

The Brushables are water-based pigment, so they will work on rubber or clear stamps. They're waterproof when dry.

Alcohol markers can be used directly on markers but they dry quickly and need to be misted with rubbing alcohol before stamping. The impression isn't always the greatest, and I'm not sure about the long-term effects of alcohol on rubber, so I'd recommend cleaning the stamps thoroughly afterwards.

Splitcoaststampers - Misting with Alcohol Markers Technique Tutorial by Gina Krupsky
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to say that if you already have multiple ink pads you may be able to move color from your ink pads to your stamp with Fantastix. I have seen the technique with distress inks and it would probably work better with them as they have a longer wet time than other inks but it is minimal cost to try this and a small tool that works and can be cut down.

I will try to find the video I saw this and link it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Something I have done in the past to be able to multiple colour and emboss is to ink up the stamp first with Versamark, then colour the various areas of the stamp with markers. It keeps the coloured ink wet, and allows you to add embosssing powder easily. Emck, one thing to remember is that really there are very few hard and fast rules! Its amazing how often something that shouldn't work actually works quite well, and vice versa. Best option usually is to give it a go! There are lots of things that come into the mix- type of markers/type of cardstock/paper/ humidity/luck- you can often find yourself a new technique, just by playing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Erin, welcome to SCS!

Thank you so much for sharing that video, I loved that glitter coloring technique.

I found a couple of videos that might help you. This first one is probably what you want to try with the zig markers straight on the stamp. The stamp is silicone type but they might work the same way with rubber stamps.
Scrap Time - Ep. 757 - Stamping with Markers featuring LaBlanche Stamps - YouTube

This second video shows how you can use the Cut-n-Dry brush pen nibs from Ranger to pick color from an ink pad and color your image. It works just like RiverIsis tip with the Fantastix. The cut n dry nibs are very cheap and they work great with distress inks. I have these and love them with this kind of stamp that already has shading lines.
http://youtu.be/zPWJqAt1Zsg

Your enthusiasm is contagious! Hope you find the technique that works best for you and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Welcome to SCS, ladies! This is a wonderful community with so much talent that is shared so freely, you're going to love it here!
Erin, I want you to be prepared for extremely long delays in shipping before purchasing from Scrapbooking Made Simple. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great company, and I am a subscriber to the YouTube channel, where I have learned some awesome techniques. But the last time I ordered from them, it was five weeks before I received my merchandise, and I only live half way across the country. The time prior it took two and a half months and I swore I would never order from them again! Admittedly that was from one of the big sales and they were totally overwhelmed with orders, but still! I'm not trying to discourage you from shopping with them - if I lived anywhere near them that would be my go-to store. I just want you to be an informed shopper!
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Copic markers can be used to colour in a stamp if you like a water colour look. Color your stamp, then spritz it with alcohol or blender solution in a fine mist bottle. Then stamp quickly. I've not gotten results I was happy with but I didn't practice much. Others have found it worked fine for them. Alternatively you could try spraying your paper instead.

I colour my stamps all the time with SU! markers and they work great. I most often spritz with water for the look described above but they can work with just huffing.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Alcohol on stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Ohmygoodness, that video is adorable.

The Brushables are water-based pigment, so they will work on rubber or clear stamps. They're waterproof when dry.

Alcohol markers can be used directly on markers but they dry quickly and need to be misted with rubbing alcohol before stamping. The impression isn't always the greatest, and I'm not sure about the long-term effects of alcohol on rubber, so I'd recommend cleaning the stamps thoroughly afterwards.

Splitcoaststampers - Misting with Alcohol Markers Technique Tutorial by Gina Krupsky
Alcohol on rubber stamps long term will cause them to dry out and crack! After using alcohol markers clean your stamps with a regular cleaner and allow it to air dry to help add moisture back into the rubber. Stamps that have been stored or unused for a long time can be rejuvenated with this method also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow thank you so much for all your replies. I totally agree this is one of the most informative craft forums i have ever joined.

I totally know about scrapbooking made simple they were completely honest with me and told me it would be like 2 months (a normal order overseas from US to australia with USPS is approx 2 weeks!) and they said if i did not wish to wait then i shouldnt order. the problem is that they had everything i wanted and there was stuff like the zig pens that i could not find anywhere else! or if i did they were twice the price. It is a bit annoying but in the meantime i have purchased stuff from etsy and ebay both in australia and overseas and i have heaps to be going on with. however thanks for telling me-! i bought it in one of their big big sales and saved a heap even with postage and the conversion it was still like half of what i would have paid in australia so i guess cos i didnt mind waiting i just did it. I also love their u tube channel. i find a lot of their products seem to be a bit unique to their store which makes it harder to find them somewhere else. the only thing i didnt like was their international postage rates cos they had a choice of $25 or $65 and to keep what i wanted in the $25 bag i couldnt really get everything i wanted but the 65 box well it would have been half the cost in postage! which kinda sucks. sometimes sellers on ebay have free postage and although their products maybe dearer at least its not 10 or 15 dollars in postage for sometimes only 30 dollars of stuff.

My fav local craft store is called blue edge crafts i think they do post internationally and their prices are very reasonable but they only have bits of everything which means if you need somethng specific they may not have it.

I am amazed that you can just try! i am too scared ill break the stamps or something!

it doesnt matter if the stamps are made of silicone for the colouring techniques because a lot of mine are that (at least if thats what clear acrylic stamps are made of) i have both rubber and acrylic clear ones i started off just getting clear but there were designs and things that i just could not obtain from the clear.

oh and some of them came from stuff for scrapbooking they actually have multiple shops in the one place like cross stitch crochet and other stuff its great store also in the US i thought the courier they used was a bit slower than USPS but it did get here and it wasnt as expensive.

i will definitely have a look at the videos! i love videos they have helped me heaps.

Oh and one final thing i finally got to try out heat embossing. I know we are going to use the primer then the paint and then stampa nd emboss all this will be tested and practiced first however my paintbrushes hadnt come yet and i was so excited so on some scrap wood MDF, pine and tasmanian Oak a type of hardwood we tried one stamp each and i also did a little gift card with a sheep on it as well and i have to say it was a bit easier and quicker on paper but all of them worked which is interesting i used versamark and black embossing powder.

I have multiple disabilities so im doing all this on my lap in bed! I got my husband to sit with me while i trialled it and he also helped get the powder back in the contained hes going to build me a little piece of wood with a circle cut of it the same size as the bottles of powder andf that way it shouldnt tip over and maybe something to hold the tray up with. I was so excited to actually see the versamark the ink pad memento luxe hasnt come in the post yet so i did it the other way around versamark and black powder instead of black ink and clear powder

In any case thank you so much for all your help and i cannot wait to try all this stuff. i just hope the zig pens come soon i reckon ive been waiting a least a month but im not sure if its even processed yet it was going to be part of my birthday present but my husband got me some other sutff as well.

how do i use the gallery to put up photos and i will post some pictures of it all?

it seems that the zig pens will do a lot of different things
Reply With Quote Likes