Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face CONFESSION AND BOY AM I GUILTY!!!!

CONFESSED GUILTY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just posted this in a different section, as a response. I decided to put it here and see how others feel about it too. We are all stamper and lets face it...a little crazy about it too. All I ask is, if you do respond please be gentle with any harsh responses. I already feel guilty and at the same time Not feel guilty....Oh I hate it when I get this way! OK here goes nothing!

Thats great! I think I probably am helping out my Demo lady this month. I sold some "things" I had been "just keeping for no reason" and ordered everything I wanted out of the last catolog. My order came to over $600.00 all by itself. Which I had...because I sold this stuff, and it was my own stuff.

I wouldn't tell anyone else except ***stamp crazy people*** like us. They just wouldn't understand and really add on the guilt about not putting my $ to better use.

The way I see it is, I traded the *things* I was hanging onto (that I NEVER used) for things I really have wanted.

OK I guess I still have a little guilt over it, because I suppose it could have been used to help others. Well I did it anyway....its over....and I'm excited deep down about my up coming package.

Pattyjo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I just posted to you in the other thread that and didn't mean it to be snarky, but you can help others by sharing your stamping. Either by donating cards to good causes, (convert) i mean...help teach others how to stamp, etc......

Good for you!!! I am sure you will have fun with all your new toys!!

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I just placed a $114 order last night, ugh, and that was even after moving a lot of things over to my Wish List for my husband for Mother's Day.

But what's the difference - you pay that much once or that much over time? You'd eventually spend it anyway right? ;)

It *is* a lot but if you can afford it, you'll use what you ordered, and it'll make you and the people who recieve your cards happy, why not?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Patty,
Let me ask you this,

If I had a motorcycle, maybe a very nice motorcycle in perfect working condition. But, I am no longer interested in riding the motorcycle, I never use it. What I really want to have is a small ski boat. So I take some nice photos of my motorcycle advertize in the paper and someone buys my motorcycle for $10,000. Then I take MY $10,000 down to Boats-R-Us and buy that little ski boat I have been drooling over, for $10,000. Now I no longer have a motorcycle that I wasn't using. But, I have a boat that I am very excited about and will use much more.

Was I wrong to sell the motorcycle? Was I wrong to buy the boat with the motorcycle money? Would you feel that what I did was wrong? Should I feel guilty about enjoying my new boat?

NO! NO! NO! NO!

You shouldn't feel guilty either! You basically "traded" what you did not use for things you wanted to use. You should feel Good, Glad and Giddy, but not Guilty.

Enjoy you new "toys"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, I do feel that way...but...I was kind of excited and I did make the mistake of telling someone else (not a stamper) about *MY TRADE* and I got a really shocked look. I guess its because it was alot of money at one time.

If I would have spent $600. on stamping things (which I'm SURE I have already over the years) there wouldn't be this deep down guilt feeling.

Your right tho, I *traded* 3 old dolls I had bought years ago, for the stamps. The funny thing was, I never touched the dolls...they just sat in this one room. I would look and look at all the cool stamps in the catty's and I only had 6 ink pads to my name. I would think about those dolls and how it was a perfect solution. I even sold them for the exact amount I had paid for them.

I will get past this, its just that I did it all at once and the *LOOK* I got from this other person really started the feelings going. Thank You for your comment.
Pattyjo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Smile

Pattyjo,

I want to feel guilty too. Think I will start going through my closets and actic and the house and see what all I can find.

That is the kinda guilt I can live with. ENJOY!

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell stuff all the time to feed my habit. Give up the guilt. If you aren't in debt, have money for your retirement and give some to charity on occasion, let it go and have fun stamping!! If you are in debt, have nothing saved for retirement and never give to charity, well .... maybe some guilt is in order! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I spent $600 of my birthday money at a show in February and had no feelings of guilt, lol. My hubby plays golf and loves it, I stamp and love it, so he has no problem with my purchases. He probably would if he knew how much I spent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Ally - That's how I feel. This is the first hobby I've ever had (finally, at 32!). My husband brews his own beer and mountain bikes. I figured he can't get mad really ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have done the same thing. I just thing about all of those people that go and get expensive manicures and pedicures every week. They spend money on something that just gets wiped away and we use our money to make things to make others happy.

P.S. To all of you that get manicures and pedicures... this is just something I tell myself so I don't feel bad about spending that much money. I certainly have nothing against pampering yourself! Someone has to do it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #11  
The Digi-Freak

Dude, you rock! I think selling stuff is the way to go! I feel guilty ONLY if I take a ton of $ from the family budget for stamping. I try to make sure I do something to get $$ for stamps.... sell something, teach a class, do something so that it isn't coming out of my grocery budget!

So, when are we all comin' over to play with your $600 of stuff???

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

lol!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

So I just wonder what we are supposed to do with our "extra" money? Buy expensive cars? Get more toys that the kids won't play with cause they are busy stealing your stamps? Save it for a rainy day? I work hard for that money and I want to play hard when I get the chance. Phooey. I figure if I save my family money in one catagory (like finding a great TV on sale for 100 dollars rather than buying a new plasma TV) then I have a right/ obligation to put the saved money to good use!

Live it up! I'm sure the lady who gave you the "Odd" look has her own money pits like fancy new clothing or shoes or car payments. I don't have any of these things. I have stamps. And something to do on a lonely friday night other than watch stupid reruns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

don't feel guilty, you just traded in old stuff for new stuff. i quit smoking one year ago today to justify my stamp habit. i'm sure i haven't spent as much on my stampping habit as i did my smoking habit. but i traded good for bad. i guess that kind goes with the theory of pedicures. please enjoy all your new goodies!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you did a number of things that should be applauded.

1. You realized there were things in your home that you weren't connected to, so you sold them. I've been doing a ton of reading about clearing clutter and organizing, and believe me when I say many people never get to the point where they realize they can let things go.

2. When you let things go, you gave someone else the opportunity to have and appreciate them. Even though it's a sale, it's still letting go.

3. You bought things you love and will give you hours and hours of delight. And give *us* delight, too, because you ARE going to post your creations, right?

Six hundred dollars is a good chunk of money, but if you can afford it, why not buy stamps and supplies? It pains me when I see people throw money away gambling, drinking, drugging, etc. Choosing things that better your life is such a healthier choice.

So enjoy your new stuff without guilt!

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

THANK YOU ALL LADIES! Your all correct and I know it! So far not one person has been harsh. Thank you for that.

Like I said, If I would have spread it out over a longer period of time, I wouldn't have even noticed it. Its just because it was one big lump at one time.

The positive side...my Demo lady loves me!
Pattyjo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Will trade 3 kids, 15 year old girl, 13 year and 8 year old boy, for stamps!!

I will even throw in a husband for free...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPLN4
My husband brews his own beer and mountain bikes.
He brews his own mountain bikes?

I know what you meant, but when I read it, I had to smile. thanks for the smile.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

plus, you will be saving money when you start making all the cards you need throughout the year with all your new stuff ( me and my run on sentences) I never feel guilty, I get up and go to work everyday ( almost) and if want to spend some $$, well some $$$$$$ on stamps, I am worth it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPLN4
Ally - That's how I feel. This is the first hobby I've ever had (finally, at 32!). My husband brews his own beer and mountain bikes. I figured he can't get mad really ;)
Ditto for me as well! My husband was actually happy I found this hobby--I think he felt a bit bad about all the $ he has racked up on his.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this hobby....

Pattyjo:

Were the things you sold not being used? You said they were.

Were the things you sold collecting dust? I bet they were!

Were the things you sold getting older by the day? I bet they were!

Does this hobby make you happy? I bet it does!

Does this hobby make you want to make cards and send them to people? I bet it does!

Does this hobby make you want to gather your girlfriends together, eat chocolate, watch chick-flicks, rag on men, break from the kids, and just be gals together? I bet it does!

Then trust me! You *ARE* using the $$$ you made from selling *YOUR* things to make the world a better place! And if your friend gave you a shocked look...well, she probably just didn't realize that she has the same freedom to sell *her* unused goods lying around to make *that* much $$$!!! Don't feel guilty - feel empowered! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Patty Jo, my only question is where do you live, and can I come over and play with all your new stuff when it gets there! How fun! I think that is a great solution, getting rid of things and using that money for something you will use and enjoy even more. Yeah baby! Sounds wonderful. I just wish I had that much stuff worth $ to get rid of. I'd probably only get about $1.39 for everything I own, except of course my stamps! lol Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Talking Feeling Guilty.....

Hi Patty Jo,

I hope you realize by all these post replys to your threas that we'd ALL love to be in your shoes! You're right, 600.00 is a lot of money but chances are you won't be suying a lot of stuff the next 6 months like the rest of us. You basically "recycled" the things you sold AND the purpose in selling them WAS to get new things! I think you should be commended for being smart enough to get rid of what you were no longer using BEFORE getting the other things you really wanted.

I know "others" (non stampers) that I know can't believe the amount of things I have and probably think of it as a waste BUT they spend their $$ just as freely - just on other things......out with the girls, shopping, hair, nails, etc....it's all one in the same - whatever makes you happy. So, I am excited FOR YOU! I think I would be unable to sleep - awake with anticipation - awaiting for my box to arrive - ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Hey, I have a closet full of unopened Barbie dolls I have collected over years, maybe I should sell them to help my "habit". Think of it this way, you are helping your demo by taking the worry of meeting the minimum this quarter. I know how you feel, bet you are a mom. We moms always feel guily for spending money on ourselves (atleast I do) but we (i) need to keep my sanity and stamping helps. Have fun playing with all your new goodies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

THANK YOU EVERYONE...YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL!

Last edited by Pattyjo; 05-01-2005 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattyjo
CONFESSED GUILTY!

OK I guess I still have a little guilt over it, because I suppose it could have been used to help others.

Pattyjo

Think of it this way . . . everytime you stamp a card and give it away, you ARE helping people: giving them a little sunshine in what could be a pretty drab day! Don't forget all the stamped goodies you've given away that have put smiles on peoples' faces. $600 is a small price for the amount of joy you ink, resist, brayer, emboss, and glitter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

No guilt...lucky you!
My one suggestion is that you sign up to be a demo, if nothing else for the 20% discount!!! That's what I did. I have been a compulsive collector of scrapbooking and card-making supplies for over 4 years. "Hello...my name is Debbie...and I am a compulsive collector..." I went to a SU! party a year ago (my first exposure) and LOVED the catalog -- wanted EVERYTHING in it. I KNEW I was going to buy a lot and thought I needed to JUSTIFY it SOME HOW. So, I did the only thing I could do...
Since then I have amassed an AMAZING amount of stamps (as well as all that goes with it...cardstock, ink, embellishments, punches, tags, die cut boxes, etc...). Plus I have met so many great people that I never would have met. PLUS...got a nice little bonus at tax time to justify my expenses...
No guilt...been there...done that...got CREDIT for it...with ya
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcymcwhorter
Hey, I have a closet full of unopened Barbie dolls I have collected over years, maybe I should sell them to help my "habit". Think of it this way, you are helping your demo by taking the worry of meeting the minimum this quarter. I know how you feel, bet you are a mom. We moms always feel guily for spending money on ourselves (atleast I do) but we (i) need to keep my sanity and stamping helps. Have fun playing with all your new goodies!
You can't get rid of your Barbies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Listen, if you are wanting to get a kick in the rear for what you did, well FORGET IT!
lolololol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I sold all my Sizzix to buy stamps!! I made 500 plus got 500 in stamps!! I am not complaining!! and now I am overjoyed as I ordered a lot of stamps sets that are retiring and I would not have been able to to that otherwise

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

When you say it, it doesn't sound so bad. I didn't have a sixxit, but 3 old dolls. I really do appreciate all the responses and yours really made me feel great about it. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
He brews his own mountain bikes?

I know what you meant, but when I read it, I had to smile. thanks for the smile.

Lol, good catch! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

well, if it will help your guilt to give a little something to charity...i'd be happy to change my name to charity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I only wish I had $600 to spend on stamps! and I wouldn't feel guilty in the least if I had it to spend ans spent it. I sure hope that dosn't make me a bad person. I don't think you need to feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes