Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Copics-are any of you not thrilled with them?

I have so hesitated to say anything.. but I got a bunch of copics within the last year. I don't know if I am artistically inept? Probably am! But I have much more success with the pencils and gamsol... other techniques. They seem expensive and I just don't get the draw.

There are other markers that do the job... as far as I am concerned. But please know, I am not an artist.. I am a basic stamper.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Firstly my main marker is Copic (don't hold that against me!) but I totally get it if people aren't in love with them. I LOVE the brush nib, to me it is like having a paint brush in my hand as it glides so easily. That said, I love my pencils too. I think if they don't speak to you that is fine (you aren't alone, I have seen other threads) and use what works for you.

If you want to use them just keep looking at tutorials and practicing to see what works for you. Some use dark to light, others light to dark, others throw the rules out.

I know I am currently getting frustrated with my pencils (have used them on some large art projects) and not getting the finish I wanted...there is always next time. Just enjoy what you are using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I use Promarkers (have just about the whole set) and love them but I have tried copics and find them much harder to get a good finish, always come out blotchy, probably user error!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I honestly have to say that I love my Copics, but they DO take a little while to learn to blend and shade properly. There are some really great classes on Youtube that help! In the end, if you don't like them, they are very easy to sell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #5  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I know people love their Copics but honestly I couldn't afford them. Not saying that negatively towards anyone...just stating a fact that I don't have the money to invest in them (if I did, I probably would). So I went the less expensive route and bought Spectrum Noir markers. I do like them but I don't do a lot of the shading and things like that. I'm more the "basic gal" too and I'm happy with the results I get. I also love my pencils...and believe it or not - even though I have a set of Prismacolor pencils - my go-to's are still my old set of Crayola's. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my Copics, but I also love my Bic Markers. My Prismacolor pencils are ok, but I normally grab the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the way Copics blend. No obvious places where you "colored" in a different direction. For me, that's a definite plus. Also, it's takes so little effort to stroke; don't push down hard or the nib is ruined. Keep using a light touch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I also am not an artist. I found that the style of marker made a difference. I prefer the brush nib and the oval or round barrel. There is definitely a learning curve. I have watched You Tube tuts, blog videos and am taking a few classes. As with anything, practice is very important. Also have bought and am reading some instructional manuals.

Maybe try an oversized image to start. I know we all see the fabulous colored images that other produce but some people have the 'knack' - not me. Please, try again. I am just getting where I like my end product but this is after many false starts.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

OP:

I love my Copics for both coloring and airbrushing.

VERY much a personal preference, so I say to you, "Go forth and conquer" with all of the products and techniques that give YOU the results that make YOU happy and that YOU have fun doing.

It's all about YOU

It's not much fun using products that don't give you results that make you happy.

COLOR ON !!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought some Copics a few years ago but could never get the hang of them. So I sold them all.

I get much better results with my SU! markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

I hear you all. I think if you have a knack, they are wonderful. But if you are a basic coloring person (Me).. there is a definite learning curve. I have tried to blend, watch videos, etc... just can't get the look I like.

Spectrum Noir? How do those compare to copics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Spectrum Noir are alcohol markers (Copic, Bic, Sharpies, etc.)... so some of the issues are going to be the same because alcohol dries quickly.

Are you putting down enough color to saturate the area and give yourself a longer (but not a huge amount) working time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I played with them at my now-closed local craft shop. I couldn't get them to do much of anything, although that may have been due to the cheap bit of paper provided to use them with. But I have a set of Prismacolor markers I got for painting needlepoint canvas years ago and I've been experimenting with them. They color pearls and rhinestones beautifully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Wanted to add another 2 cents. (Sound like Lucy from the Peanuts cartoon, sorry!)

The ink used to stamp your image makes a deference. I use Memento Tuxedo Black or Tim Holtz Black Soot but want to try My Favorite Things Black Licorice.(sold out at the online stores I've checked) if you don't use one that does not bleed when you use an alcohol based marker, you will get a mess.

The paper you are coloring on also makes a huge difference. I am using Neenah Solar White Smooth but will be changing to X-press-It soon. Used this on a class taught by Irina Blount (La La Land) - she recommends it. It has a nice smooth 'feel' and the ink does not bleed into the paper as much so blending is much easier.

My recommendation to anyone is try different coloring mediums until you find one that you feel comfortable using and gives you the results you like. I know I make papercrafts for fun so don't force yourself to use ink/markers/tools etc. that changes this hobby for from fun to drudgery just because 'someone else says buy it, use it, you'll like it!'

Find a coloring medium that is fun for you to use - good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm with you. I love my Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol, but seeing so many cards done with Copics, thought I would give them a try. I have 120 or so in blending families, so to speak, and I just hate them. I just think, for me, that they're a pain to use well, where my Prismas are like an old friend. I also have Prismacolor watercolor pencils that I also love. Copics seem like a chore to me, which isn't what I'm looking for when I sit down to make a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love love love my Copics. Life changing really. Wouldn't use anything else now that I know how to use them. I won't lie- they are tricky at first but once you have a couple fundamentals down, anyone can use them. I'm sure you can too.

If you're having trouble using them, it could be that you're not using colors that are in the same color family. (example R24, R27, R29 all work and shade together). Or maybe you're not working with a wet edge to blend the colors. Maybe you're using too much of the darker colors.

I hate that you've purchased them and feel like you can't use them. If you want to email me a picture of an image you've colored, I can take a look and maybe help you.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Spectrum Noir are alcohol markers (Copic, Bic, Sharpies, etc.)... so some of the issues are going to be the same because alcohol dries quickly.

Are you putting down enough color to saturate the area and give yourself a longer (but not a huge amount) working time?
I don't know, I watch the videos and see they do work quickly. I may be too slow? By the time I attempt to blend, it looks muddy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I also am not an artist. I found that the style of marker made a difference. I prefer the brush nib and the oval or round barrel. There is definitely a learning curve. I have watched You Tube tuts, blog videos and am taking a few classes. As with anything, practice is very important. Also have bought and am reading some instructional manuals.

Maybe try an oversized image to start. I know we all see the fabulous colored images that other produce but some people have the 'knack' - not me. Please, try again. I am just getting where I like my end product but this is after many false starts.

Good luck!
I do think I need to find an oversized image...such as coloring book size...!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH I have trouble with Copics and other alcohol markers blending if I am working a large area.

A tip to remember is many marker artists are often mixed media artists. They will airbrush a background or water color it, and use pencils for fine detail after markers etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love Copics for the most part. But I get irritated with the glossy film on them sometimes, when I have to use the blender pen to take it off. I used to use X-press It paper, but it was so glossy that the glossy-film problem got worse. I switched back to non-glossy cardstock and that reduced the problem. But I wish this problem didn't exist in the first place. I've also complained on one of the Copic forums and there were suggestions, but none of them helped. I do also have problems with large areas, like colouring a sky. Maybe I ought to get an airbrusher (?).

I have found that using the Copics so extensively has helped me with colouring with markers in general, even when I am using washable Crayola markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first learned about Copics I didn't get it and thought I'd never spend that kind of money. Well, never say never (LOL). I have about 150 and use them a lot. I was never much of a marker person except for some techniques because I never like the streaks and you couldn't blend like can you could with pencils or watercolors.

I'm not a master colorist by no means, but I do ok and the draw for me is:

Blending - it takes practice, reading, the right ink & paper, and you need to understand what colors will blend. Copics won't necessarily make you better with colors but it gives you a decent chance to be really good.

Financial - I like being able to refill and buy new nibs so in the long run, they are cheaper. It took me a couple of years to get a good selection and I don't feel that I need many more. I've tried a couple of the other alcohol markers and I felt I did better with less work with the Copics.

When not to buy - this may make some people say hmm... but if you just want to be able to color without streaks there other markers that can do it cheaper and if you are happy as a clam with what you have, then don't buy them. Also, don't buy them if you're not the sort who is willing to practice, a lot. Really.

If you want to test them, you need to buy 3 markers (light, medium, & dark), get the right ink pad and the right paper. Then watch a couple of videos, go the Copic Intl'l site for a ton of tips, and then play. You'll either love them or hate them. If you don't like them then you spent under $20 so you didn't waste a ton of money. You can always use the ink pad and paper for other things.

I love Copics, but I would never try to convince someone they need them or life in the craft room will cease to exist if you don't have Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I love Copics for the most part. But I get irritated with the glossy film on them sometimes, when I have to use the blender pen to take it off. I used to use X-press It paper, but it was so glossy that the glossy-film problem got worse. I switched back to non-glossy cardstock and that reduced the problem. But I wish this problem didn't exist in the first place. I've also complained on one of the Copic forums and there were suggestions, but none of them helped. I do also have problems with large areas, like colouring a sky. Maybe I ought to get an airbrusher (?).

I have found that using the Copics so extensively has helped me with colouring with markers in general, even when I am using washable Crayola markers!
I use a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush. Probably has paid for itself just because I get the blend and use less ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
Copics are designed for use by skilled artists. They're not intended to perform like craft materials.

If you want trouble-free, artist grade alcohol markers, slightly cheaper ShinHan Touch Twins are highly recommended. They blend perfectly with Copics. I only buy Copics on rare occasions when ShinHan doesn't have a color I want.
Artist grade is the highest grade/finest grade and thus infinitely more blendable in any medium. The grade refers to the product components, not the end user.

Crafter grade is more equivalent to student grade and is more prone to issues though in today's market the differences are slight.

FWIW the student grade Copic is the Ciao - no difference in ink - just the difference in volume, the nibs from the original and the cap is a kid marker cap.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 06-05-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

My problem with Copics is that I think you have to work pretty hard to learn how to use them where you get good results. The type of paper and ink used with them appears to make a huge difference in what your end result looks like too. I do have a ton of Copics and I pretty much regret buying them. I admit that I'm lazy and just haven't been willing to put the work into them. I've no one to blame but myself. I keep telling myself that I'll find and watch some good you tube videos and learn how to really use them...lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I use a cheap Harbor Freight airbrush. Probably has paid for itself just because I get the blend and use less ink.
DH and I were at Harbor Freight recently and I wondered about that. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Great advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
If you want to test them, you need to buy 3 markers (light, medium, & dark), get the right ink pad and the right paper. Then watch a couple of videos, go the Copic Intl'l site for a ton of tips, and then play. You'll either love them or hate them. If you don't like them then you spent under $20 so you didn't waste a ton of money. You can always use the ink pad and paper for other things.
This is the best advice I've read anywhere for those wanting to try Copics before before investing in a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter GypsyView Post
DH and I were at Harbor Freight recently and I wondered about that. TFS!
I use the Copic adapter at the end of it - works like a dream. I just put a bit of dimensional tape in to pad it out for Ciaos and masking tape it into the holder.

Make sure to get a Harbor Freight coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 433 Likes on 165 Posts

It has taken me over 5 years to coloect all the copic markers I have now, but it only took practice for me to find them to be the best markers I have ever used. Any stamp that already has some stipple shading does a lot of the work for you on determining where to use the darker shade. The blender pen does wonders lightening up any area that got too dark. I have been slowly purchasing the reinkers of the colors that I have been my favorites to use. I guess like many things you either love them or not but I have to admit I have found them to be most successful. I especially love using them for skin tones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

TBH I have trouble with Copics and other alcohol markers blending if I am working a large area.

A tip to remember is many marker artists are often mixed media artists. They will airbrush a background or water color it, and use pencils for fine detail after markers etc.
I so agree with you. What I would recommend is a simple image such as a snowman where only minimal shading is needed on the body and try shading a hat. I still have to go over mine with pencil since I do struggle with copics but it does make it go quicker by having a base coat of color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my Copics !

My only regret is before I understood the coloring system I bought some colors that are very close to others that I have . I don't need both of them. Some day I may get around to sorting the colors and selling the ones that are nearly duplicates .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 04:23 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I do like my Copics and even though my images don't look like the experts I'm ok with that.

But before you get rid of your markers let me make a suggestion for you to try first. I will also add that I am definitely not an artist just a simple crafter.

I do mine backwards from what all the experts & videos suggest. Try this and see if you are happier with them:

I have 3 of each color so 1 dark, 1 med, and 1 light shade. First I put on the dark color around the edge (just a small amount) then I add the medium color then I put the light color (putting it first in the white space and then going back over the dark & medium color if needed to blend). Hopefully this makes sense.

Here are some of my earlier images with them I was able to do using my way instead of trying to do it the way all of the videos said to:
Blue Dragon Birthday by Suzanne - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Pink Cupcake by Suzanne - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps you some.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I would rather watercolor an image any day......my friends love their copics, but I just can't justify the cost of collecting a huge color palette when I can get a good result with 48 water color crayons......I think it's a matter of preference because both take practice and both require "special" paper......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I love my Copics now, but I didn't at first!!! They sat around unused because I was intimidated by them and other peoples work with them!!! It took a lot of videos on YouTube, classes, (on line and from my LSS) and practice to get me feeling comfortable with them. I now have them all, and they are my marker of choice!!! BUT, that is not to say I don't enjoy still using my pencils with Gamsol, and most of all.......watercoloring with not only paints, and Twinkling H2O's, but with my distressed pads, dye markers, you name it!!! I still even use chalks!! I just love to color!!!

So whatever floats your boat, I say go for it, try it, get creative!!! You never know what you may enjoy. No one was perfect the first time they did it, and I'm still not, yet I enjoy what I create, and that's what matters!!! It's YOUR art!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no Copics, instead I went for Promarkers. The thing I would say is that learning to shade etc is just like anything else- practice. After all, we are not born knowing how to walk- its something we have to learn and keep practising until we get it right. I'm only just starting to like my own colouring and shading, I still struggle sometimes. But every person who's work you admire started out just the same as you. It does come down to how much time you can put into the practice, and I find it hard to find as much time as I ought- life and work goes on, all the same.
A friend whos work I admire(she is really good) still feels she needs to learn more, and signed up to this free online school- Kit & Clowder. I signed up too, but haven't been able to find time to actually do any of the lessons yet. They have loads for shading, blending etc.
I would say that I think part of my colouring problem comes from how I approach it- because I am never happy with what I produce, I start from the disadvantage of expecting to be disappointed with the end result.I also tend to put it off- like the classes- because I don't 'feel the love' for it. When I have been able to relax into it, and just see what happens, I've had better results. But then, we tend to be our own worst critics, I think, seeing glaring faults that no one else even notices.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 06-09-2014 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes