Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #41  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 625 Likes on 438 Posts
Default We did it-sort of

We did this a few years ago. I decided the kids had too much! We went one whole month without buying anything that we didn't need. We did not stop eating out, etc., just buying stuff. It was a good exercise. Since then, we have cut way back on the eating out, etc. I cook ahead and that helps. I have also cut back on the amount of Christmas gifts. It gets easier at the kids get older.
I have also continued to use what is in my craft stash. I also sold some stuff at 2 yard sales at my lss. I buy new stuff, but not as much. I can resist many of the stamp sets. I did spend $100 during SAB and will order 3 sets during the ctmh sale. I will not go to Michaels or ACMoore only to use a coupon. This has been hard, but I have been good! I have to need something to go there!
I know there are places I can cut back and I do the best I can. I can't stress myself out about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a GREAT idea and am going to try it!

My creative therapy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Just thought I would hijack this! I hope you don't mind!! I have given up buying craft supplies for Lent. I will admit the first week was really tough...I use shopping as a stress reliever. However, I have really gotten into the swing of this! I am using my supplies and finishing half-finished projects. I no longer feel deprived or left-out or anything. I really think this has given me a certain amount of freedom! I encourage you to give it a try, just a month at a time. I think we all have too much and don't always realize it. I say, GO FOR IT, LADIES!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

My hands actually got sweaty reading this thread...NO spending!!! ACK!!!! It would be nice to just work with what I have though! Now is a good time too, being as DH has his annual 'spring break-up' (which means the oil rigs shut down during the spring thaw). However, I have to spend a little bit as I am in a Stamp Club! Maybe I just won't allow myself anything but my club stuff!!! I can handle that, right??!!! OK then, it's settled, nothing but my monthly orders until May!!
...oooh, my hands are sweaty again and my stomach has butterflies...

This really is a great idea! I know I can...I know I can....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Joycelyn, YOU CAN DO IT! Make any exceptions you want...just commit to cutting down a little tiny bit!! Join me, come to the dark side, use what you have...:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

I actually did this, for one January, after spending way too much on Christmas. We do a lot of involuntary saving (money that comes out off the top and goes into accounts) and so I don't feel totally guilty spending money. But I decided that I wanted to get more control of what I spend. And it was a nice feeling, actually, to have a lot of money sitting in our account for a change instead of flying out the window!

For me, spending money on the Internet is a problem. I am now in the mode where I'm trying not to spend as much but that just doesn't work for me. It bothers me that if you look in my 'orders' folder in my email, you can literally see orders done EVERY day for long periods of time. Do I really need to be buying something every single day? And that's why I did decide to go on the no-spend thing for a month.

I'd like to try it again myself. I really need to 'shop' in my own house -- I have so much stuff, I should be using it instead of always looking for something new!

What I'm really striving for now is more control. For instance, since spending money on the Internet is a problem for me, I'll allow myself to shop by putting stuff into the basket, but then I have to walk away and come back to it in a while to decide if I really *need* it or even if I really *want* it. Many, many times of late I've been able to not finish the purchase or reduce the amount of money spend. I consider that a success!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

My month will be from March 27th to April 27th. I know I can't go just the month of April because of DD birthday party on the 28th. I really hope I make it. Good luck girls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

I'm doing it right now. This month is a no spending month for me. I haven't spent a single cent except for paying the bills and grocery shopping. We're trying to save for a down payment on a house and talking about starting a family. So I think there will be plenty of no spending months in my future.

I'm used to it though. When I graduated from college I held two jobs to pay my living expenses and had month after month of no extra spending. I guess I'm used to an ascetic lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Sure - I can quit any time I want to. RIGHT!! Seriously, I am in the same boat as a lot of the rest of you. I have plenty of stamps and enough dp to tide me over until the next century. I spend more time surfing here looking for ideas than I do in my craft room. By the time the day at work is over I'm too tired to do much creating but I enjoy looking and occasionally buying over the internet.

I think I'm going to get to try this challenge anyway sometime in the next several months. We're adopting a baby and my DH is going to be a stay at home Dad so we're going to lose an income. We'll consolidate our checking accounts *gasp*!! We've had separate accounts since we've been together (with a joint savings) so I never have to justify any of my spending and he really has no idea what I spend on stamping. He wouldn't ever give me hassle about it but still it's nice to know I can "sneak" to JoAnns or pick up the new Basic Grey paper and not feel guilty! But we're going to combine accounts so I'll not only have to be more thrifty but I'll also have to fess up on what I'm spending on stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #50  
Glitter Queen

No!

And that's all I have to say about that :rolleyes:

AV made by Clara Wallace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had success not purchasing stamping stuff for one month last July. Of course I needed to go on a vacation the whole month without caties and a PC!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

I cannot stop spending for a month - I admit that freely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started in Feb. allowing myself to only spend $25 a month on stamping supplies and things I didn't need- like DVD's, movies, clothes. I will admit, that I haven't stuck to it, but I've def. stopped spending as much as i did, lol. Preparing for a wedding helps too though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with you Frenchy! I too am a single parent and spend way too much on crafting supplies! I guess I can give it a try for one month..but I don't know how easy this is going to be since going to J and M is like a weekly trip for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

The coupon at AC Moore and Mike's just kills me. I mean...ya hate to make a 40% off coupon go to waste! But when I find myself wandering all over the store just LOOKING for something to buy (that I don't need or really want), it's time to stop cutting them out of the circulars and save the gas by staying home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

My hubby let me quit my job last summer before finding a new one, so for the months of Aug. and Sept. I didn't spend anything except my minimum for the stamp club I was in. I was extra thrifty at the grocery store and clipped coupons. It was so hard. I couldn't leave the house because if I did I knew I would end up spending money. I also had very detailed grocery lists and only bought the food that was needed for the meals I was going to make for the week. No ice cream, no snack food, etc. Unfortunately I am now a SU! demo who has had to help make my minimums, so I'll have to spend some money there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

I sound like most of you. I love to buy the supplies. I have hundreds of stamps I haven't used. Not to mention tons of ribbon and other accessories. I just can't stop. I see a card and have to buy an entire set. Then usually don't even use the set once I get it since I've forgotten why I wanted it in the first place.

I think I need an intervention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR
I did spend $100 during SAB and will order 3 sets during the ctmh sale.
Sale? CTMH has a sale??? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

I think hubby and I are going to give it a try. Tonight I told hom about "an interesting article I read on SCS" once I started telling him about it, he told me he read the same article and had been thinking about asking me if we should give it a try. I think we'll start in a week or so, giving us time to define our "needs".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I tried this for lent. I have only fallen off the wagon once. I still got my monthly kits and a pre-order. I'm going to try to add an additional two weeks on at the end to see if I can do it. I only said I wouldn't order any craft stuff. But amazingly, I haven't ordered anything else either.

I am definitely going to carve out a 'craft budget' and stick to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Frenchy -

I thought your post was very motivating.
I decided that I am going to do it!
A month seems so long to go without shopping for supplies but I know deep down that I have enough to get me through.
I am going from today until April 18th. I know it's going to be difficult! I just discovered a great new non-chain craft store but I will not cave!!! hehe.
Hopefully, my stash won't look like it's owned by a hoarder when the month is done

Thanks for the motivation,
Lauren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My DH and family have no clue how much I spend on my "HABBIT",I figure I don't smoke we go out to eat seldome,I'm not a fashion plate,...and who would stimulate the economy if we all quit those fab buys? How sad is that thought we could send the economy into a major tail spin.
I do think I could seroiusly look into April as "hold off for garage sale season month" and save up. I've gotten some of the coolest embelishments at sales. Stamps too often when the discontinued set list comes out,...wow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Smile I'll give it a Shot!!!

I read the article and all the replies and I'll join in. I usually do pretty good, I'm really not a clothes horse, but I am a binge spender! I'll buddy up with someone also, I'll need one when the urge is there.
Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

I don't think I could stop spending for a month! LOL!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #64  
Inking Addict

DH and I have been doing this for the most part since December. We have seen our checkbook grow each month. It really shows us what we can do without and lets us splurge on a few items each month, like coffee. I have not bought any supplies for stamping or scrapbooking since October and I have gotten by with what I have...way to much!

Our main reason for doing this was to put whatever money we could towards our debt. We just splurged on our daughter's 6th birthday with a party at home and there was plenty of money for it. I have not been worried about what is "left" in the account at the end of the month for a while now.

I think it is a really good experience and I would be happy to join in, we can always use the inspiration to keep going with what we have started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

No, no, no, no! And I fool myself by allowing myself to only buy things on sale or maybe just at the dollar or discount store. But it always ends up adding up in the long run. I do have a great outlet, however, for using up stuff when it get to be too much (church card ministry), so that makes me feel less guilty!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Default Stop spending for a month???

On stamping stuff? No... enough said!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #67  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleen
The coupon at AC Moore and Mike's just kills me. I mean...ya hate to make a 40% off coupon go to waste! But when I find myself wandering all over the store just LOOKING for something to buy (that I don't need or really want), it's time to stop cutting them out of the circulars and save the gas by staying home!
You know what saved me with respect to these coupons? I signed up to get the AC Moore and Joann coupons online. Michael's won't take online coupons so I stopped shopping there. Instead, any time I want a coupon I can go to my weekly email from AC Moore or Joann and print off as many as I need. It broke the cycle of feeling like I had to go and find something to buy because there was only one coupon a week. Now I make myself wait for the 50% off coupons to go buy something and since AC Moore and Joann will take each others coupons, there are usually one or two opportunities a month for me to use a 50% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

As I look at my spending (especially on craft items), I realize that I spend way "too much" for my own good. As I am generally a very frugal person, my "too much" may seem inconsequential to other people...but for my family I feel that it is too much. I've tried to cut back and was pretty successful with that but do I really need any more ribbon, paper, or stamps at the moment? NO!

So...I'm going to do this. We are taking vacation next week so I will start when we get back. Hopefully we can all support each other through this difficult time.

Ackk! I will give it the ole college try.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I start on Tuesday and after totaling what was spent so far this month I really need to. I somehow spent just under a $1000 more than I have made this month. Out of that almost $600 of it was craft stuff and the rest birthday for my DD. This is why no savings exists long in my home. Much strength will be needed to stay away from the magazines especially.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #70  
Gallery Gazer

I'm going to do this starting today...so March 25 through April 25th. I have spent way too much lately and it's got to stop. I have plently to play with...I don't "need" anything right now!! The ONLY exception is my Stamp Club which I'm required to make a purchase...other than that...no stamping stuff, no buying anything I don't need and no going out to eat!!! This is a weakness....pray for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

ummmm no I think it would cause me great distress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

OMGosh, there is no stinkin' way I'd be able to do this. I'm a spendaholic and I'm proud of it. LOL

Now, I could do without buying groceries!!

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStamp
I have given up buying stamping/crafting stuff for awhile. I have way too much stuff and I am not doing anything with it. I'm not addicted to stamping, I am addicted to buying stuff for stamping! I am going to stay out of the stores and away from all those nasty enabler threads. I have more than enough stamps, paper, ink, punches, etc to keep myself busy for a long time. The reason for doing it, although my DH will be pleased that I'm not buying, was I realized how many stamp sets I had that had never seen ink. It was either start using the stuff or sell it. So, now I keep myself busy creating!
Funny, I don't remember writing this!! Seriously, I could have written this word for word! But DANG that new Spring mini is da bomb!!! Trying steadfastly to hold out on not buying anything from it!

Behind every successful person is a substantial amount of
Coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

I could very easily not spend...it's actually more of a challenge for me to purchase things, as I much prefer money in our acct. than 'stuff' in our home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator

I haven't read all the responses yet, but I DID give up spending for a month. Actually 40 days. Actually all of Lent. lol. At first I was counting down the days, but now I have become accustomed to it. I may even continue after easter is over. Although my 45 days after becoming an SU! consultant is on April 13th, so I do have to put my big 30% off order in by then! Anyway, I have learned how much stuff I have, and how I totally do not NEED all the things I used to "need". Good luck to all who are going to attempt this! It will be liberating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #76  
Mad Swapper

This is a tough one. For me it will require some definite boundaries. What is allowed, what isn't. I'll definitely give it a go though, as I KNOW I can cut back. I may just have to give up my time here on SCS though...there are way too many enabling threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheeless
Been there done that! My husband was out of work for seven months! We have four kids who eat their weight in cereal and milk! I went months without spending a dime on anything. Stopped getting my nails done, my hair dyed, my clothes cleaned at the dry cleaner, fired my housekeeper, shoveled the snow myself, never ate out! I stopped taking all prescription meds and nobody went to the doctor or the dentist.

I didn't even spend (my money) on stamps. Thank goodness for overrides and commission otherwise, I would have missed out on so much stuff and been out of all my stamping supplies.

He's working now, but things are still tight. So I am still living like I can't spend a dime.

Cheryl
GOOD FOR YOU, Cheryl!!! Someone who is in MY boat!!!

DH works VERY hard for a non-profit business so that I can stay home w/ our 3 little kids. I am an RN and could make ALOT of money working full time and then be able to buy anything my heart desires.......however, we have made the choice for me to raise our children and only work 2 days/month and give up all of the things you mentioned above!!

Yeah, there are times I am envious of all the "new" stuff but when I snuggle the kids after thier naps, when I set a homemade hot meal on the table, when my DD comes home from Catholic School having just learned something about our faith, I DON'T MISS ANY NEW STAMPS/TOYS/PAPERS or anthing else!!

I am blessed w/ many new friends here on SCS who have sent me paper, images, ink, embellishments and the like!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!! (Please don't think this is a request for more :rolleyes: .......I am just thanking those who have!!) My demo only lives 2 houses away and ALWAYS shares her supplies!!

Could I stop spending for a month???? YES!!

For those who are "using what you have", if you make a card or anything......maybe you could LINK IT TO THIS THREAD and show us what you made WITHOUT spending!! We would love to cheer you on!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

I didn't read the article.... so I'm going to have to say 'no' I can't stop!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

I love to shop. I love to spend. It's my drug of choice.

I would like to spend less, but I work a LOT of hours in an incredibly stressful job. Spending money on clothes, shoes, jewelry, and stamping are my rewards.

I think if I tried this, I would have to do it in chunks - maybe I could go without buying for one week. Then the next time I tried I'd shoot for two weeks. That's the only way I could do it, and I would almost certainly have to allow myself one mulligan somewhere in there.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok I blew it, umm big time. Bought Easter stuff and justified that as a had to but picked up rub ons & flowers while I was there. Placed a $50 SU order that I so didnt need to place. Bought b-day presents for my best friends kid. Had to go to the Dollar Tree for kids girly items and oopps found more rub ons. Then found a yard sale full of old oriental stuff. Oh My Goodness... Starting over Monday with Easter out of the way and planning the 28th off for DD birthday party. Crossing Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes