Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupla questions.

1. has anyone gotten the Papercrafts book 40 Techniques for cardmaking,
and would recommend it?

2.need tecnical advice.. I made a card last night with a divided upper half/lower half(2 different papers)on the second layer. I wanted to use a ribbon to cover the seam but had a really hard time getting the ribbon on and under the cardstock , before glueing everything down, so how's it done?

On a side note, broke in my cropodile last night, what an eyelet dream come true. No noise at 10 P.m.Thanks for great recs about getting one!

CKMom
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

What kind of ribbon are you using? If I use ribbon on a card like this, I just cut it very precisely so the ends of the ribbon hit where the ends of the patterned paper are... That way you don't have to worry about winding ribbon all the way around the card, or cutting through the card. Clear as mud?

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

When I use two papers on the card like you're describing, I usually overlap one over the other just a bit and attach them together with a bit of double stick tape. That makes the paper easier to handle for your next step. Then I would cut my ribbon about an inch longer than the width of the seam, so I have 1/2 inch to wrap around and tape down in the back. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:42 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have that book - I would recommend it if you are newer to stamping. there were only a couple of things in there i had not done before. It has good instructions although I can't really figure out how to stand it up on my desk. I am a bit challanged that way.

For your card, I agree with the above glue your layers down first and glue a strip of ribbon over the top and cut it off. You can run a strip of mono tape if the ribbon is the right width. Also, if the ribbon is thinner you can paint a line of crystal effects on the ribbon and glue it down that way - it works really well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I was using red grosgrain, and am afraid it would fray if I just cut it off at the edge. It looks nice wrapped, but I really struggled to keep everything in line and straight til it was glued down to the base. I will try to overlap a bit next time so it's not seam to seam. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKMom
I was using red grosgrain, and am afraid it would fray if I just cut it off at the edge. It looks nice wrapped, but I really struggled to keep everything in line and straight til it was glued down to the base. I will try to overlap a bit next time so it's not seam to seam. Thanks!
If the papers are quite thin I would glue the whole lot to a thicker piece of cardstock. So glue the two papers to the piece of cardstock and then wrap the ribbon around the whole lot and attach the ribbon at the back to the cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKMom
1. has anyone gotten the Papercrafts book 40 Techniques for cardmaking,
and would recommend it?
It has some lovely projects in it, and Paper Crafts is renowned for their great photography, and I thought the concept of an easel was really a fabulous idea, . . . but . . . I personally found it too large and clunky and I could tell right away, that in my stamping space, it just wouldn't work to stand it up, etc. Of course, if I completely cleaned off my counter top I might change my mind . . .

:rolleyes: yeah, like that counter's ever gonna be cleaned off . . . snort!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Julie,
lol,well mine has been clean before, but darn it , it doesn't stay that way. My DS gave me a hand 2 weeks ago to reorganize and haul out the junk, the counter looked great. well I did some crafting this week, and only a little bit of the counter is visable, oh well....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I think the Papercrafts 40 Techniques for Cardmaking is great for beginning cardmakers -- lots of step by step instructions for learning. If you've been making cards for a while though, it's probably a little basic for you. It does have some lovely pictures in it and nice ideas -- not a bad coupon purchase if you really want it.
Reply With Quote Likes