Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2005, 04:55 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creativity: Something I struggle with and

just wondering if you either have it or you do not....I'm kind of putting my heart on my sleeve so to speak. But I honestly do not feel I have a creative brain. When I sit down to scrapbook or stamp at a workshop my work looks sloppy, I cannot get things to look neat and polished.
At times I wonder if possibly it has something to do with my job, a very stressful and demanding accounting position. That maybe all my energy goes into my job and when it comes time to work on a scrapbook project my brain shuts down---or maybe I'm just trying to make up an excuse----not sure.
If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds like you are feeling kinda bad, I'm sorry.

To answer your question, I don't think you either have it or ya don't. I think you can make it grow. I used to say I wasn't creative. I used to sew, but I would tell everybody, that's only because there's a pattern to follow and I'm good at following patterns. But the more you do, the better you get. Now I absolutely love to do just about anything creative. And you better not give me a pattern. ;)

Study other people's work that you like. Study yours, notice the subtle differences that make yours look "messy." Also, do not be afraid to use somebody else's page or card as a pattern. This is how most of us start. There is nothing wrong with that. Before you know it, you will be changing little things here and there and then you'll be doing it all on your own.

Don't forget, this is for fun. It doesn't have to be perfect.

For me, if I've had a stressful day, it is so relaxing to just sit and stamp and see what I can create. And you better believe with a 3 yo and a 1 yo, I have a lot of stressful days!!

I hope this cheers you up! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I think we can all feel this way. a couple of things that have worked for me......

Less works better for me, simple clean lines, not alot of embellishments. I just can't seem to place them right, so when I stopped trying I liked my pages better.

Also you could try spending several days on a page. I just can't do it in one sitting, I need time to figure out how I want things to go. So I tend to work on 5-10 layouts at once. In one sitting I pick my pictures, and just temp tape them down to plain white card stock. Then I flip through magazines and do some sketches, and figure out if I need more or less photos for a particular layout to work with an idea. I might order a few enlargements. In another sitting I will crop all my photos and stick them back down, then mat, journal......you get the idea. Anyway breaking the work up over several days helps me to get a real feel for what I want and put together a more polished layout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with the other advice. I believe everyone is creative in their own way--you just need to find and nurture it. Stop comparing your work to others. But look at other work and determine what you like and admire about it. Then try doing it your self. I know for me, I can't always get it "perfect" the first time.

And finally. I don't know if you are religious but this is what I tell my scrapping kids. God CREATED you in HIS image. Therefore, YOU are CREATIVE. Don't be afraid to try. And don't be so hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun!

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 05:36 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above two posters...get to know you...get to know your style...then you will find it is easier to create...HOWEVER...copy others until you find you are no longer copying...you will be creating...

I am one who has too many ideas....I have to keep notebooks of ideas to that I can use them! LOL
When I try to copy something I always end up looking at it and it doesn't look like what I was copying! LOL BUT I have new customers who they look at things and copy them TO A "T"!!!! And then once they have a few copied things, they create on their own and they feel like the are gaining ability and confidence....so take some time to just play....copy what draws you in....pretty soon, you will be "creating free hand" so to speak...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thank you to all of you

for your kind words. I will follow your suggestions, very helpful.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me some encourgement.

Big smiles to all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

You've gotten some great advice, and I don't really think I'll be adding anything new here. I, too, always thought I wasn't creative. That's one reason I got into stamping - SU creates the art and puts the sets together and has all of those wonderful coordinating colors When I first got started I would CASE - I rarely did anything original or creative. But the longer I go on, the more my CASEing becomes my original, creative work. I still tend to start with some card or scrapbook page that I admire, but then I take a huge leap. I have also started keeping an ideas notebook (a lovely composition book I covered ) In my idea book I put the idea that I'm going to "copy", then over several days or weeks I make my changes - colors, stamp sets, embellishments, layout to fit what I have - and VIOLA I have an original creation.

Melanie in NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the same problem--I was surrounded by negativity and PO'd people all day and it just sapped the creative juices right out of me. It's important to find your own "style". Use other's ideas for inspiration and put your own signature on it. So it's not perfect--SO WHAT! This isn't my profession, it's a pastime that should be enjoyable. When it becomes a "job" or frustrating, it's time to move on to something else. I work more with photo editing software (PictureIt) instead of stamps where I'm not locked into certain sizes, themes, etc.. I enjoy doing humerous cards by incorporating pictures of the recipient in funny situations. Maybe "artistic" will come later, but for now, this works for me. This site is great for learning techniques such as backgrounds, color combiniations, etc., and especially the templates.

Hang in there and don't be discouraged!! The beautiful thing about this hobby is that the product created doesn't take up a lot of room. If I don't like what I come up with I can always go the the Hallmark Shoebox collection (Maxine is my inspiration).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I don't think that you are putting all your energy into your job, but rather you are bringing that *kind* of energy to stamping. It must be very hard to switch gears from something like accounting to stamping. Totally different parts of your brain!

Can I suggest a change in focus? This is supposed to be a hobby for fun, relaxation and even a little sanity. Is it possible for you to make a conscious effort to focus on the process, not the product? I have to force myself to do this at times.

As for innate creativity/talent? Yes, I do think there is some truth to that, but I also believe that practice can really improve upon whatever you have to start with. My first cards make me chuckle when I pull them out, but my current cards make me cringe when I see some other stuff here. That is when I remind myself how much I enjoy the actual stamping, playing with colors and layouts, cutting, gluing, punching, ect. Who cares what my cards look like?

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everybody starts somewhere. And, from there, the more you learn and do, the more your style develops, and it just blossoms from that, I think?

I look back at my very first stamping experience:

Stamping a very cutsey country angel with a rainbow inkpad onto glossy sticker paper and cutting it out. No coloring it in. That was the extent of my skill and knowledge.

But, the more I tried, and played, and read (and I READ A LOT), then applied what I'd read about, and read some more, and applied that, and so on, I began to feel more and more creative myself.

My mother is can sew, knit, crochet, does beautiful calligraphy, tole paints, and has the voice of an angel. My father is a wood craftsman, avid fly tyer (his work has been featured in angler museums).

But, me???? Can't hold a tune, tried sewing (augh), my knitting and crocheting are so tight the project curls up into a tight wad of yarn, I'm too impatient to tole paint (I also took china painting lessons, NEVER got the knack for it and it took too long anyway, to achieve results in between firings, etc.), and I'm scared of power tools and too clumsy for the delicate fly tying my father is incredibly skilled at.

I tried EVERYTHING--all kinds of crafts. When I stumbled onto stamping, I was so happy--FINALLY!!!! Something I can do!!! I can't draw, so these are perfect! I can color things in, just like I did as a child!

From those baby steps, came all sorts of adventures, all of which led me to finally feel creative in my own way--not anybody else's way.

What I think matters most, is that you permit yourself to journey down the creative path in your own way, time, speed, and enjoy the process. The results will eventually fall into place all on their own, I do believe.

Bear hugs, and whatever you do, STAMP HAPPY!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

For me creativity comes and goes. I am a Gemini (twin personalities) and this is apparent in this area. Some days it just flows, and others I'm completely blank. That's why I love this site as well as some of the great magazines out there. Another thing is I have a hard time being creative when other things need to get done. I feel guilty, like I shouldn't be playing when the bathrooms need to be cleaned! Does anyone else feel like that?

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by newstamperamy
I don't think that you are putting all your energy into your job, but rather you are bringing that *kind* of energy to stamping. It must be very hard to switch gears from something like accounting to stamping. Totally different parts of your brain!

Can I suggest a change in focus? This is supposed to be a hobby for fun, relaxation and even a little sanity. Is it possible for you to make a conscious effort to focus on the process, not the product? I have to force myself to do this at times.

As for innate creativity/talent? Yes, I do think there is some truth to that, but I also believe that practice can really improve upon whatever you have to start with. My first cards make me chuckle when I pull them out, but my current cards make me cringe when I see some other stuff here. That is when I remind myself how much I enjoy the actual stamping, playing with colors and layouts, cutting, gluing, punching, ect. Who cares what my cards look like?

I guess I did not realize that is a very big possiblity that I bring this kind of energy to scrapbooking/stamping. Thanks for that thought. I like your suggestion to change my focus----make this a hobby for fun, relaxation. In fact, I will try this tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I've felt the same way-always with a creative block and not liking the things I come up with. I copy different layouts, cards, etc, then change it up a bit. The funny thing is-we are our own worst critic!! I listen to the comments from my friends and family and they think I buy my cards in the store! Sheesh! Can you just feel the love here? This is the most inspiring group EVER. You'll find your style and become more comfortable with it. Good luck! <hugs>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
For me creativity comes and goes. I am a Gemini (twin personalities) and this is apparent in this area. Some days it just flows, and others I'm completely blank. That's why I love this site as well as some of the great magazines out there. Another thing is I have a hard time being creative when other things need to get done. I feel guilty, like I shouldn't be playing when the bathrooms need to be cleaned! Does anyone else feel like that?

Dina
Honey, thar be killah dust bunnies under my china hutch, and mountains of laundry callin' my name.

With children in the house, I've learned that "Cleaning house while your children are growing is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing."

I had to "let it go" . . . since I couldn't afford housekeeping services . . . sigh . . .

One thing that has worked, however, is to devote one day a week to housecleaning, with the idea that X day was my play day.

Another that worked, as my daughter became old enough: Hire her to do certain housekeeping chores (outside of her family duty chores). Jobs around here for teenagers are scarce, and this helps me keep up on the house, and, is a way she can earn a little money on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Y'know, I do a LOT of stamping, and I don't consider myself creative, but I LOVE getting ideas here on SCS and changing things around a bit. People see my binders full of cards (95% stamped by me - I don't care much for swaps) and they think I'm SO creative. Well, very few ideas were my own. <g> Having said that, most of my cards aren't direct copies. I change around stamp sets, colors, sentiments, etc. But my inspiration comes from the ladies here!

One thing I've been doing... When I get a new background stamp (and I've got quite a few!), I play with it and make a few different quarter-sheets to use later. I'll stamp it with different colors on white, vanilla, a pastel color, etc. I usually have a project in mind when I start, but then I'll use the one and I have the extras. Later, I go back to these backgrounds and I figure out what to do with them. It's my way of being creative! <g>

Relax and enjoy - and be inspired by all the creative genius here on SCS!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Great thread! Copying others' work is a great way to learn techniques and creativity. Kind of a paradox, huh? By copying and looking at lots and lots of samples, here and in magazines, your brain starts to subconsciously absorb ideas and techniques and eventually it will start coming out in your work. Remember, art students copy paintings by the masters', stroke for stroke, in order to learn and develop as artists.

Another tip is to get a great paper cutter. It will help your layers be perfectly squared and make your cards look neater. If you have the money, spend it on a more expensive cutter, like the Dahl, which graphic artists and engineers use. A cheaper alternative would be Provo Craft's Zision, sold at Joanns.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I am really not artistic but I have found that by trying the weekly challenges (color, sketch and/or technique), I am getting just enough of a boost to make me have a go but not enough that I feel that I got the idea from someone else. I think I am getting more creative in that I then think to incorporate a sketch, colors or techniques in other cards and so it grows. All thanks to SCS and you ladies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I am fairly new to SCS, and I continue to be astonished that all of you are out there, and most amazingly of all, you have the same problems, feelings, successes, etc. as I do. I belong to a small group of ladies who meet monthly to stamp, and have for the last 5 or 6 years. We never knew that there were others like us out there. And now I read, "I don't have a creative brain!" My gosh, how many times have I thought it and said it! And just like many of you, I discovered that I could "copy" creative things and I, too, could be creative through rubber stamping. Isn't it amazing???? And we can all learn from each other--which I do, right here, every single day. I am so glad I found y'all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

The only advice I will give is that you may just need to keep at it. I wasn't usually happy with my pages when I first started either, but over time it's become much easier to get the result I want. Just go to as many sources as you can to get ideas. Just remember, even if you do totally case a layout, the page will still be uniquely yours, because they're your pictures, your color choices, your embellishments, KWIM?
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I think you can measure your creativity by the feeling you get when you create your cards, scrapbook pages, etc. Stamping and Scrapbooking are skills which can improve over time and practice. Creativity you either have or you don't. My husband is very creative, but he can and never will make cards. If you're creative, you love to make cards to see what you can make out of the raw materials. You can not be creative and still appreciate a good hand-made card but you're more likely to buy it that make it. Make sense?

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
I think you can measure your creativity by the feeling you get when you create your cards, scrapbook pages, etc. Stamping and Scrapbooking are skills which can improve over time and practice. Creativity you either have or you don't. My husband is very creative, but he can and never will make cards. If you're creative, you love to make cards to see what you can make out of the raw materials. You can not be creative and still appreciate a good hand-made card but you're more likely to buy it that make it. Make sense?

So, in a sense my thoughts on creativity are correct---either you have it or you don't. Which I feel I do not have. However, with all the thoughts here over time, perhaps my skills will improve, but I may never become creative, just good at CASEING---(LOL)

Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty
So, in a sense my thoughts on creativity are correct---either you have it or you don't. Which I feel I do not have. However, with all the thoughts here over time, perhaps my skills will improve, but I may never become creative, just good at CASEING---(LOL)

Thanks again everyone.

Personally, I disagree strongly with Thuskins post--I think we all are born with it, but some never have an opportunity to "develop" it to its full potential. I believe it lies dormant in some folks simply because they resist allowing it to be awakened? Some because others (parents, etc.) may have unwitingly discouraged it . . .

I was frequently told to pursue a career in nursing or accounting, because those would be more "lucrative" careers. And, at the time I took it, the WA pre-college test indicated I'd make an excellent mechanic . . . , however, I have no interest or passion for the medical profession, numbers, or engines. Had I permitted those comments to box me in, I wouldn't have discovered the joy of teaching (I eventually became a high school Spanish teacher), and I certainly wouldn't have explored much in the arts/crafts realm . . .

To this day, my own GRANDMOTHER comments that my interest in art stamping is frivolous, and that it's a "fad" I will soon grow weary of, as it serves no useful purpose . . . Now, Gram can say that and I love the 'ol hag anyway--DEARLY!--but it's that kind of "discouragement" that can lead one to believe they have no creative spirit whatsoever . . .

I choose NOT to believe that. I also believe that creativity exists in many forms--not just within the arts.

JMHO. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Creativity does not have a thing to do with being sloppy or neat.. it is like voice from your soul that inspires you to create, experiment and live.

The fact that your scrapbook pages look "sloppy" is about technique, and the most creative people do not care about making thier creations look just like a carbon copy of someone elses work.

Just enjoy yourself, and make things your way, and in time the technique may improve, and in the mean time you are creating and enjoying the process of making your own artwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. My group meets once a month, and some of the cards they produce are wonderful! My poor offerings pale in comparison. BUT, I am learning. I do not yet have all the doodads other people have. We learn a new technique every month, but so far I haven't tried any of them on my own - not because of a lack of desire, but because I don't have the equipment. I tend to do the simpler layouts now, without a whole lot of embellishments, but I am experimenting with different things. I cannot for the life of me tie a bow, so my ribbon gets glued on in a line - no bow. I like the layered look, so my cards have a lot of layers. When I retire in the year 2060, I'll have more time to play. In the meantime, live and learn - and spend lots of $$$........sigh. The main thing, enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 02:38 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
To this day, my own GRANDMOTHER comments that my interest in art stamping is frivolous, and that it's a "fad" I will soon grow weary of, as it serves no useful purpose . . .
Don't you dare listen!!!! (Cue "You're the inspiration" by Chicago)

Just to add my .02 to this - I agree that the more you play, the more creative you become. This is just like learning to cook or any other skill...you need to become familiar with tools and basic concepts, and then you'll probably begin playing and making minor changes here and there. We all have "knacks" in different areas - some people learn how to use an oven, and then can whip up amazing concoctions. And some people press a stamp to an inkpad and suddenly they're playing with layouts, color schemes, embellishments... I think the biggest thing is to just jump in and have some fun! And please share your work - if you feel like something is missing on a particular project, post it to the gallery and ask for suggestions. This site is a fabulous resource, and we generally play nice!!

~Trish
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 04:34 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

To me creativity is the same as faith... It is a muscle waiting to be developed, you have to work at it, strengthen it, flex it, grow it and use it. It is also a matter of finding your niche.
My mom and brother are excellent at th piano and violin, but they didn't just have it to start with they had to develop the skills and start with the basics they didn't start off the first time they played and played a concerto, they learned and built each step. They found they enjoy the music.
My mom wanted my sister and I to play the piano, I hated it and I never really did find my niche or "my" passion, but I enjoy scrapbooking and rubberstamping I get told I am creative, but I don't think I am great or anything, but to someone else whose strengths are something else than I guess I would be. Just like I would love to be able to knit a mean scarf (I tried, couldn't get past the first 2 or three rows and I really tried) someone who can do that is creative in their way.
We all have it, it is just finding where it is and definitaly not allowing someone to put you (the general sense of you noone in particular) in a box that wasn't made for you.

I thank God we are all different it is neat to see bits and parts of His full creativity in all of us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Default My perspective, long, sorry, but a point is made.

What a wonderful thread. I believe creativity rests in all of us, our life course allows us to embrace what is within or sends us on a different path. Scientifically, our brain is capable of greater things than we ever know. Spiritually, creativity is another God given gift that lies within in some form...maybe not in art, but in music, theatre, etc..the ARTS as a whole.

I've always been somewhat creative or had a need for a creative outlet in order to achieve balance in my life. My mother tells me as a child I'd spend hours coloring in coloring books or drawing. I still love to do this with my dd even now. Don't be fooled. I can't draw a strait line with a ruler!! In adolescence and continuing today I have this obsession with paper, coloring tools, 'toys'. Is it any wonder I'm a stamper? I also write. I could be a writer if given the time and a house in New England, an adirondack chair, wool sweater, and an ocean to stair at.

My career choice? I went to college and started out as a business major in Marketing because I wanted to be an advertising executive. My other difficulty is that not only do I have a creative need, but I'm also pretty darn smart when it comes to math type stuff as well, hence business major. But, alas,...not enough creativity in that aspect so I ended up in the Journalism dept. focusing on advertising.

I took the classes, and got to my class in copy/design layout. I was so excited. Basically, you just designed ads all semester. My pompous S.O.B. professor was horrible. Instead of helping me develop what I had, he berrated me, discouraged me, and said to me.." I suggest you stick to media buying because you haven't a creative bone in your body". That was halfway through the semester. He gave up on me. I gave up on me.

I went into advertising as a media buyer. I lasted almost 2 years. I wasn't where I wanted to be. I wanted to be downstairs in the creative department, but I was put into a different track. I left the business. I was miserable.

I finally found my thing with stamping. However, I feel like there's this dormant creativity within that I've only shown glimpses of here and there. Its hard to put yourself out there. I feel like a piece of art is a piece of one's soul.

To the OP, keep working at it. There's some great suggestions on the thread. So many times I set out to do something, I've got in my head what I want it to be, and then I'm disappointed because it falls short, or I stop before I take that next step that might push it over the edge into something really great.
Focus, meditate if you need to. Become your own best stamper. Its easy to get caught up in the abilities of everyone else and beat ourselves down that we aren't as good as say, Her Royal Rubberness (JulieHRR...;) ), but as she said, even she started at the beginning.

Incidentally, I'm a stay at home mom now, and there's no more creative job than outsmarting a 5 year old! Best of luck...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

THis is a great thread! I agree with most of what's been said.

I feel the way you do Scatty, that deep down I am a creative person, but not sure if it shows in my artwork. I see the way my upline stamps (I would compare her work to Julie HRR- wish I could get her to upload to SCS but that's another thread). Anyway, she can quickly & effortlessly come up with a very cute card.
I do not do this. I have to look through the sketch challanges (thank you Andrea!) I use my color wheel, I have to think, plan, play, re-work, re-work again & then maybe I get a cute card. Honestly, my best cards are when I take a layout (from the sketch challenges for example) & start with it. I have to have a starting point like that. I agree with what everyone says about learning so much from caseing other's work. I love SCS, you can learn so much here!

I have been stamping for 2.5 years now & I have gotten lots better. I still am not a "natural" like my upline but I may never be. Either way, stamping brings me joy & when I send the cards they bring joy to the receiver. That is what it's all about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Quote:

Honey, thar be killah dust bunnies under my china hutch, and mountains of laundry callin' my name.

With children in the house, I've learned that "Cleaning house while your children are growing is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing."

I had to "let it go" . . . since I couldn't afford housekeeping services . . . sigh . . .

One thing that has worked, however, is to devote one day a week to housecleaning, with the idea that X day was my play day.

Another that worked, as my daughter became old enough: Hire her to do certain housekeeping chores (outside of her family duty chores). Jobs around here for teenagers are scarce, and this helps me keep up on the house, and, is a way she can earn a little money on a regular basis.

Thanks Julie, I often wondered how you do it?!? You have tons of stuff here on SCS, your a demo, and you're in a bunch of magazines. But somehow I pictured your house is perfectly clean! I"M HAPPY TO HEAR ABOUT THOSE DUST BUNNIES!!!!! I'm working on my "issues"... clean a little, stamp a lot, clean a little! Thanks for the advice.

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Personally, I disagree strongly with Thuskins post--I think we all are born with it, but some never have an opportunity to "develop" it to its full potential. I believe it lies dormant in some folks simply because they resist allowing it to be awakened? Some because others (parents, etc.) may have unwitingly discouraged it . . .

I was frequently told to pursue a career in nursing or accounting, because those would be more "lucrative" careers. And, at the time I took it, the WA pre-college test indicated I'd make an excellent mechanic . . . , however, I have no interest or passion for the medical profession, numbers, or engines. Had I permitted those comments to box me in, I wouldn't have discovered the joy of teaching (I eventually became a high school Spanish teacher), and I certainly wouldn't have explored much in the arts/crafts realm . . .

To this day, my own GRANDMOTHER comments that my interest in art stamping is frivolous, and that it's a "fad" I will soon grow weary of, as it serves no useful purpose . . . Now, Gram can say that and I love the 'ol hag anyway--DEARLY!--but it's that kind of "discouragement" that can lead one to believe they have no creative spirit whatsoever . . .

I choose NOT to believe that. I also believe that creativity exists in many forms--not just within the arts.

JMHO. ;)
I TOTALLY agree!!!

My mom does the same thing to me that your grandma does to you. She'll look at my scrapbook and say, "shees, don't you have anything else to do?" I know it's just because she's jealous and feels guilty that she didn't even put our childhood pictures into albums. But, like you said, I love the old hag anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes