Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #41  
Failed Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma Overboard
One time a had a card up for a week and got no comments, thot it must be so ugly, so I took it down.
I do think that most comments are left within the first day or so of uploading because people check that day's uploads. After that, it's just down to chance - if someone's browsing that stamp set gallery, or just happens to look at your stuff... or you post a link to it in a thread. But don't take them down!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Another thing, it's not that the cards "suck", but that we've seen them a many times, made by someone else, maybe same color, maybe little bit different. And we've got to get thru these cards today, because tomorrow here comes the next 200 cards!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:13 AM   #43  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma Overboard
Another thing, it's not that the cards "suck", but that we've seen them a many times, made by someone else, maybe same color, maybe little bit different. And we've got to get thru these cards today, because tomorrow here comes the next 200 cards!!
Good point. I do tend to look for something a bit different when I'm browsing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Well I just took a look at your gallery to see how "sucky" it was! Anyway, your cards are fab - you do really gorgeous work. One reason your comment count may be low is because you use TAC stamps - not that there's anything wrong with that, but this site is heavily weighted in favour of Stampin' Up!, so TAC images may not catch the eye of as many people... or people may be browsing particular SU stamp set galleries and miss yours entirely. I'm going to look at some more of yours now...
Well, thank you!! And thank you to the few others that went over there and left comments.
I am a TAC demo, is why I have more TAC stamps than SU. I know that they wont get the attention as much, but I always ask myself then why do other companies like Hero Arts, etc get attention too? :confused:
I apologize if my post came off harsh, that was not my intent. :-D I do believe that just because a card or cards have 0 or a couple of comments does not make it a bad or "sucky" card. Just could mean that it didnt get noticed for what ever reason.
I also do not think there is a "bad card" on this site. They are all great, and every stamper/creator on their own skill level took time for create their card. I do not think that they would post it here if they think it was a bad card. Now, my first cards when I first started stamping, I look back and go "UGH!" lol But back then, I thought they were great!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

keep in mind that when you delete a photo (for whatever reason), that you are also deleting it from someones favorites! You may not have rec'd any or many comments and that is why you deleted it, but what if the person who put it into their fave's didnt have time to comment, or got distracted or had a slow computer and had to choose one thing to do...just something to keep in mind...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #46  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 380 Likes on 325 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
I agree with the OP. When I post a card I am looking for feedback otherwise I wouldn't bother posting in the first place. However, you don't need to leave negative comments in order to provide valuable information to the card poster.

For example, the only comments people seem to leave are "cute card". Very rarely does anyone say WHY they like a card. To me this is probably the most valuable thing about leaving a comment. I'd like to know what things worked about a card (as well as what didn't).

Next time you leave a comment try stating something like:
- I liked your card because...
- I liked the way you...

And, if you are like me and want critical comments too, try adding "Critical comments welcome!" in your description.
I try to be specific about what I like about cards in my comments because I like specific feedback. Sometimes I can't figure out what it is that speaks to me or I am in a rush so I just say "Love it" or something like that so they still know it is appreciated.

I don't have a gallery partly because everything I do is last minute and partly because it isn't always perfectly straight or stamped. I'd still like to post something just to do it. Even if it doesn't get any comments, I will have done it once and will be over that whole "first time uploading nervousness." I will be sure to request constructive feedback if and when I upload to the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

This question seems to come up every few months or so. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if I want criticism I'll ask my mother. She seems to be pretty good at that.

I think if you want constructive criticism then you should ask for it in the description when you upload your picture, otherwise if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

ETA: When I re-read this it sounded kinda snarky. I didn't mean it that way, just stating my opinion rather bluntly I guess. Please, no offense meant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babzstampz
I would guess that silence = criticism, ......
Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
Yup. No comments generally means: your card sucks.
I have to disagree with both of these statements. There have been *so* many threads in GST regarding why cards do not get comments. Just a few reasons:
... I don't have time to comment on all the cards I look at.
... I only look at cards from the *stars'* galleries.
... I always click on the bright colored thumbnails.

On the threads where we have been asked to link a card that received no comments, the cards were always just fine. A more accurate statement might be "No comments = overlooked."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Most of us take a closer look at a card because something about it grabs us immediately as we breeze through the gallery. Lots of valid points have been made about the jinormous number of cards and projects posted every day. So unless we have unlimited online time, we have to pick and choose. Even then, I don't, and wouldn't, offer criticism unless asked. I say what it was that drew me to the card in the first place - what wowed me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is the 'brutal honesty' thread we had awhile back, that some of you were talking about. It was tons of fun!!! I learned a lot from the comments on my card.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

I didn't get a chance to read all the comments but I agree with the ones I got to see........only give critism when asked. Maybe we should have a challenge for this type of thing. I was thinking about this the other day in a little different light. What about a "Bump it up" challenge where we post a fairly simple card and hear people suggestions or actually see what they would do different with the same type of image and layout. What embelishments would they add, etc. Anyone interested in a challenge like that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #52  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
Yup. No comments generally means: your card sucks.
It is hard not to feel disapointed when you get very few comments. There are many cards I've done that get very few comments in relation to others, yet I know they are good. I think it has less to do with how good a job I did then whatever is tending to be popular lately, whether its linked somewhere else, how many other uploads there were that day, and whether things were moving slow on the site that day. I try not to compare anymore, as I find the number of comments is not a reliable indicator of how "good" a card is. Besides ... if I like it and my DH likes it and my cat likes it ... who cares?! Its about having fun doing it (repeat as necessary!).

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper-c
I'm not sure how much fanfare this thread is going to get but I figured I would throw it out there as I am curious as to how everyone feels. We all love comments, especially the good ones!!! But, do you ever wish that you could receive constructive criticism as well? We all want to improve and no one likes to hear that "um, yeah, I would have done this differently", but in the end, if it is going to improve the final outcome of future projects, would you or would you not want that help? We all get the hint when something we post gets no comments, but wouldn't you like to know why it didnt get any?
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before...and maybe it was a practice that got out of hand...and changes had to be made...again, I'm just curious...I know that personally, I sometimes wish someone would tell me what they REALLY think about a card and/or my gallery and whether or not I should continue my hobby or put up a sale sign!!!!! ;) I guess we all have days like that!!
Looking forward to hearing what you think....
Cathy
I haven't read through all the replies, but . . .

I think most anybody would have a difficult time offering constructive feed-back to anyone, unless the person specifically asked for it, UKWIM?

Perhaps if folks who really wanted such feedback, were to note in the description box:

Honest, constructive feedback truly welcomed and invited; no offense taken!

Then, maybe folks would comfortable enough to venture to offer some?

I dunno! But, that might be an idea? :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

when I get home i will try doig a search in the gallery for cards that have 'constructive criticism" and variations thereof. i think i might be surprised at how many will come up!

and i really love the concept of the 'bump it up' challenge! it would be quite different fro the sketch challenges because stuff like distressing, sponging, etc are't included in sketches. i'd love to see a challenge where we start off with a perfectly beautiful and serviceable simple card, and see what folks do with that card that is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #55  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
Well, thank you!! And thank you to the few others that went over there and left comments.
I am a TAC demo, is why I have more TAC stamps than SU. I know that they wont get the attention as much, but I always ask myself then why do other companies like Hero Arts, etc get attention too? :confused:
I apologize if my post came off harsh, that was not my intent. :-D I do believe that just because a card or cards have 0 or a couple of comments does not make it a bad or "sucky" card. Just could mean that it didnt get noticed for what ever reason.
I also do not think there is a "bad card" on this site. They are all great, and every stamper/creator on their own skill level took time for create their card. I do not think that they would post it here if they think it was a bad card. Now, my first cards when I first started stamping, I look back and go "UGH!" lol But back then, I thought they were great!!! :mrgreen:
I too own more TAC Stamps than SU stamps.
Jen you have wonderful cards!!!!!!!
I know that I am not DD quality either.

But I see that some cards just go unnoticed for a few reasons.
Like some of the other's have stated.
poor Scan or Photo.

To much other stuff going on SCS.

Not taking the time to leave feedback.

Right now I have only 1 card that doesn't have any comments on. But so what!

It doesn't suck. well I don't think so.

But It's because many people are here to see SU stamples NOT TAC's.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Nancy!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If I want to get responses on something ina constructive way I post and ask for it. Everyone is usually helpful. Would I want those kinds of opinions on EVERYTHING I post H*$L NO! I would feel like nothing was ever good enough.
Once I posted a 6x6 card-using the monogram B, it was on designer paper nad I was using layer ease to make a mat for it-long story short my B was upside down cause how I had to work my sizzix dinosaur into the card design-anyway someone here PM'd me to tell me "Hey did you know your B is upsidedown" So in other words the large bubble of the B at the top, small bubble at the bottom (clear as mudd) ANYWAY... I did not ASK for her opinion, and explained WHY I PURPOSELY made it that way-she responded she still didn;'t get why and that I should change it! EXCUSE ME? That just ticked me off cause It seriously was pretty cool! IMO-
So I don't think brutal honesty is the way to go.
As far as no comments or low commetns meaning your stuff sucks-I don't think so. Some days are busier than others. The more people upload the further back your card gets pushed. Who looks on page 42! Not me! LOL!
I posted once after VSN, and another day when the new catty stuff was going on. My cards got little to no comments- were they crap, not neccessarily.
I look at my early work and cringe & laugh. I'm glad no one was harsh cause I would have most likely given up.
Keep posting, and try to maybe post on a day-like saturday when there is then no upload sunday-so people are more likely to view it.
If you want comments ASK. I try to post on all of what I like but its near impossible.
Just keep posting!
Reply With Quote Likes