Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the dark...will an OTT light/lamp help?

So I'm sitting in my paneled living room; all 4 lamps on, bi-focals on my face, stamping supplies spread out and ready to go...but, I don't feel like I can see clear enough to do anything. My vision is okay, just got this prescription a month or so ago, but it's soooo dark to me-I'm not sure that I'm lit enough for close/detail work.

What is an OTT light, and will it help me? There really isn't room for another lamp, although I am considering having stadium lighting installed, if I don't stumble upon a solution soon, lol!!! OTT lights are on sale at J's and I'm ready to bust out and buy one as soon as someone gives me the word!

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

You should really consider getting an Ott light. These lamps are worth it, as far as I am concerned. I have used two for several years. One lamp on either side of the table so my hand won't get in the way. One is a table type an the other is a floor lamp. True colors is what they advertise and I really believe it. Hope you can get to "J"s and get one before they are gone. It can be your gift to yourself for Christmas. Happy stamping.......Phyllis
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

It will be the best gift you have ever given yourself.
I have had mine for years. I absolutely love it.
Best wishes
merrry christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Thanks Ladies, I'm calling to see what they have at our sad and tiny little J's.

I almost feel like I need a magnifier of some kind, but I'm pretty sure that's because it seems like I'm in the dark! I never realized how much blue lampshades (lamps and shades were a gift from my sister) can dull the light, lol!

Off to OTT shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a different brand name lamp (gives the same light as an OTT lite) for several years & bought a second one for my home office. I couldn't work without them. Next one will be a little fold-up portable one I can take with me to friends when we play or to workshops. You'll love it!
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

what's the difference between "true color" and "vision saver"? Is one better than the other for stamping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree that the Ott light will be a big help. Light is never a huge issue until you reach bifocal age. (Wonder how I know that.) Now, I have to have light in order to see well. I hate it when I go to someone else's house to stamp and I get stuck in an area with bad lighting. I just can't get anything done comfortably.
I also have an off brand of the Ott light. I have the floor model, which sits on the side of my stamping table. It is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Smile

I got my first Ott light a few weeks ago and all I can say is WOW I can now see. Mine is the fold down portable one it came free when I renewed my subscription to a card magazine ( sorry it is an Aussie one ).
Ott have a model which is a table lamp but it also has a magnifying glass on it, it is on a seperate arm so you can swing it out of the way when you don't require it. Ott have quite a few diffent models, table and floor so make sure you see the full range so you can select the one which suits you best.
Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

My DH gave me one of the folding table-top Ott's for Christmas 6 years ago, and it's the most wonderful light in the world! I want another, actually, for my second craft table.

You won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 03:10 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm with the others... buy an OTT and you'll never regret it. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about before I bought one - I kept reading posts from people raving about it but didn't think I'd need one. I finally got one free with a magazine subscription and now I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the OTT to all crafters.

Cheers,
Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Yes get the OTT best investment I have made. I also have 2, one floor and one table top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I just bought my third one. one for stamping, one for reading and one for my husband's woodworking. I agree, they are great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do the natural light bulbs work the same way? I have 3 spotlights on a track on the wall above my stamping area. I've got fluorescents in, but once it gets dark, ALL the colours seem so off that I wait until daylight again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pear52View Post
I just bought my third one. one for stamping, one for reading and one for my husband's woodworking. I agree, they are great!!!
Mind you, if my DH reads this he'll buy me one straight away, so that he can "test it". I'd never see it again. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishroseView Post
Do the natural light bulbs work the same way? I have 3 spotlights on a track on the wall above my stamping area. I've got fluorescents in, but once it gets dark, ALL the colours seem so off that I wait until daylight again.
Ahh that is the question. I have a fold up Ott and swear by it. Just got a 'natural light' bulb and it is close to the Ott. The natural light is a bulb that is a curly q light bulb that fits in a regular lamp.

I forgot how much I spent on the natural light bulb...but here are the advantages: 1. Little to no heat. That's important here in Florida where it's 70+ degrees right now. 2. Less electricity than an incandecant(sp) light bulb. Again, I save my $$ to put toward air conditioning. 3. Fits into a regular lamp. 4. Good (but not the best) for my ageing eyeballs. Ott is the best but if you can't afford the Ott, go for these. 5. It does look like natural, outside light. Soothing light, not yellow or glaring like incandescent(sp) or flourescent bulbs!

hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post
Ahh that is the question. I have a fold up Ott and swear by it. Just got a 'natural light' bulb and it is close to the Ott. The natural light is a bulb that is a curly q light bulb that fits in a regular lamp.

I forgot how much I spent on the natural light bulb...but here are the advantages: 1. Little to no heat. That's important here in Florida where it's 70+ degrees right now. 2. Less electricity than an incandecant(sp) light bulb. Again, I save my $$ to put toward air conditioning. 3. Fits into a regular lamp. 4. Good (but not the best) for my ageing eyeballs. Ott is the best but if you can't afford the Ott, go for these. 5. It does look like natural, outside light. Soothing light, not yellow or glaring like incandescent(sp) or flourescent bulbs!

hth
Thanks for the info. I'll try the lightbulbs first as the track is in the perfect place already. Heat is also an issue here in AZ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishroseView Post
Mind you, if my DH reads this he'll buy me one straight away, so that he can "test it". I'd never see it again. ;)
Make sure you get the pink folding one then. That's what I have and LOVE it.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post

I forgot how much I spent on the natural light bulb...but here are the advantages: 1. Little to no heat. That's important here in Florida where it's 70+ degrees right now.

hth

I have a natural light bulb in my swing arm lamp and the one I have gives off a LOT of heat. (Good for me right now since it's 11 degrees outside and our thermostat is set at 68.) I swear I am getting a tan from it - not really - but it sure is hot. I must have a different style or something. My Ott isn't hot though.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

I love mine, got 50% off a Michael's with a coupon. Yes, ladies you can use the coupons on the ott lights no restrictions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I own three and could not do my crafts without them. I have two that clamp on. One is on a little table by my chair in the livingroom and I use it for quilting and handwork/embroidery. I have another one clamped on my stamping table for close-up seeing what I'm doing. I also have one of the small flip-up ones and I use it on a little try in the livingroom because I do offloom beading and it really requires some serious light and close-up. I have never regretted buying any of them.
Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I originally bought mine for quilting and I love it. You can really see the correct colors with the ott light. I have a friend who has really bad lighting in her family room. Whenever I go there to stamp it just about drives me crazy. I can't be creative when I am there because I am so hampered by the poor lighting.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have two table tops...fold-downs, and I love them. I received the first one about 5 years ago, and the second one 2 years ago. I changed the lightbulb in the older one for the first time this fall. Yeah, the replacement bulbs are not cheap, but when you change it only once every 5 years, then it really is not a big deal.

I love how I can see the 'real' color of paper, ribbon, and ink. (Even these 30 y.o. eyes can appreciate these lamps!) I would like to add another one...maybe a floor lamp, but there are other priorities right now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Slight hijack (sorry): I recently bought a "Vision Saver" OTT, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that all I'm using is a flourescent bulb. It provides "cool" light. Am I defeating the purpose of this light if I want a "warm" lighting? Did I just make sense? I did in my head, but I'm not sure it translated well.

That being said, I'm glad I got the lamp.

This concludes the hijack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #24  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 634 Likes on 444 Posts

I am getting one for Christmas! I bought it at Joann's on black Friday, on sale and then an extra coupon! My parents are kindly giving it to me. I bought the floor model because the sale was so good. I bought an extra bulb too. My sister uses them for quilting and swears by them.
Reply With Quote Likes