Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions…Help!

As a Christmas gift topper, my mom told me to pick out $30 of SU! merchandise, the only problem is that I have WAY too many things on my wish list. I spent the day coming up with combinations that equal the limit (and a few that went over, lol but I figured I would just cover the extra on the things that were higher). I tried to pick out things that I wanted but have put off getting or things that I would have waited for a special occasion to purchase. Here’s what I have it down to (each line is a combo):
    I keep asking myself how much use I would get out of each thing. Any help would be appreciated, is there anything on the list that you absolutely can’t live without? Or you bought it and it just sits there. I do have some of the tools already in the kit (anywhere punch/eyelet setter, hammer, setting mat, pliers I think) and wonder if I should skip the kit since I have those tools (though having a 2nd set of those tools might be nice at my stamp camps).

Thanks in advance,
    Stacy
    Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 03:13 AM   #2  
    Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have other brass templates? If not, then I would say go with that one. They're nice to use and you can also use it in your business. My second choice would be the punches. Have fun with whatever you get!

On a side note, I've been keeping a file on my computer called my wish list. Whenever I go through the catalog and see something I want, I put it on that on one side of the page. On the other side are things I need, like extra paper, inks refills, etc. I try to keep it in order of priority. When I put in my orders and find out what the commission is, or hostess benefits if I'm hostess, I just choose the items closest to the top of my list that fit that dollar amount. I've found that this is saving me time as I don't spend an hour each time deciding what to order.
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 04:37 AM   #3  
    Dirty Dozen Alumni

Since you state you hold stamp camps, I am giving you my 2 cents based on the fact you will use your SU gift purchase from your mom with your business in mind.

I'd recommend going with the punches. Anytime I demo SU punches I sell whatever I am demoing. I have the convex/concave but favor the circles & squares. If you don't have the larger circle punch (1-3/8") get that one instead of the convex one. The slit punch is versatile; not just for gift cards.

I have the crafters' tool kit, use it but refuse to demo it. I will show it when asked to visitors here at home, but until SU allows purchases or replacements of the individual components (e.g. the piercing template!) I will not demo or allow it to be used for a make & take.

There have been other posts of customers ruining the piercing template and SU's refusal to allow a purchase to replace that particular damaged component. And I am one that spent the $40 for the darn template!

I feel your value for your business would be the punches, based on my past success in sales of that product. HTH & happy shopping!!!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 04:44 AM   #4  
    Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE my Crafter's Tool Kit. The only parts I use for my classes are the Eyelet Setter and Hammer, but I always bring it to workshops so that people can see how compact everything is !!!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 05:36 AM   #5  
    SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the crafter's kit or teh punches-I LOVE the punches. Whenever I demo teh punches I demo 2 of the same (like 2 sizes of squares or circles) to show them how to layer.

You *may* want to ask her to wait until Jan 1st so you can get a free set for a few more $$, but that is just me b/c I can't wait to get the other sets.

Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 06:29 AM   #6  
    Pearl-ExPert

Go with the punches. They are so vesrsatile, and you will love them.

For demos, you can demo just about any stamp set, and people will buy which stamp set they like. But if you demo thep punches, they will buy what you demo!
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 07:39 AM   #7  
    Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all your quick responses! You have helped me narrow the list a bit. I think I'll pass on the tool kit at least until they offer replacement templates, that was the main draw since I had most of the tools. Anything I got I would use in the business, but that wouldn't be the main reason for anything I purchase with the gift money. Right now I'm pretty much just doing stamp camps and I have a few people who order when they need something or if there is a good deal from SU! (I'm a borderline hobby demo really), so I'm not really concerned about workshop-ability (lol if that's a word).

I don't have any other brass templates, this would be the first one if I go with it. I do have that stamp set, so I would be able to play with them together and by itself.

Here are the punches I already have (hehehe I do love punches!): both squares, the slit, 1/2 circle, snowflake, daisy, notched corner, small corner rounder, square steps, wrought iron, 1/16 & rectangle hand-held. I have a 1 inch circle (non-SU!) that's why I was going with just the smaller of the two circles to do layers (I can always pick up the larger circle later). I thought the convex would be good for letter backgrounds but that's about it, so I'll take that off the list. I have been looking at the paper piecing one since the catty came out, but just waiting for the right moment to get it.

So maybe I want to blend two previous choices: 1 1/4 inch Circle punch, the Paper Piecing punch & Love w/out End Brass Template. I do have enough stamps at the moment (*gasp* yes I said it) that getting the punches and brass temp would be ok and probably the best choice.

Thanks again Ladies! You have been a big help! I needed to hear a second (and third and fourth, hehehe) opinion to find the right choice.
    Stacy
    Reply With Quote Likes
    Old 12-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #8  
    Embossing Fanatic

OH NO! LOL I was looking at some other posts and found out the Aqua Painters are off the backorder list and arriving on time! How did I miss that?! Maybe I will drop the 1 1/4 circle punch (I have the Coluzzle starter kit and have been using that for circle layering) and get the Aqua Painter instead.

Stacy
    Reply With Quote Likes