Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Demonstrators -Do you really make money???

OK, I am trying to make a decision about joining SU and need an honest answer.
I Know there are alot of hobby demonstrators out there but this question is for all you SU demonstrators that sell SU and have made a business out of it. Is selling SU a profitable business. I mean by the time you take your hours in to account and taxes out is selling SU profitable.
I work as an RN now and make good money per hour. I don't know if I could justify cutting my hours back at work there to do this. Convince me that I can

For those of you that are profitable - share with me how much time/hours a week go into your business.
Thank you in advance for your honesty
BMG
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

My sister shares her discount with me (and anyone else who buys from her). She's a hobby demo.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I think the OP wasn't interested in sharing her discount though, because that would cut into her profit.

I am a new demo, and I am hoping to make some money. I am figuring it may take a couple years as I have no SU product currently. (yup I fell hard) so after taking some time to acquire new SU stuff I hope to become profitable.

Good luck with your decision.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

As a former Pampered Chef, Creative Memories, and Discovery Toys demo, I can tell you I never had the momentum or cold call courage to really make a business out of any of those things. It depends on your personality as much as anything, I think. I would think long and hard about giving up nursing - find a demo who will share the real costs and income and do your research - for me it was never an income. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be interested to hear from any demonstrators that actually make a profit! I think it must be hard because of the low commission, and the fact that so much of your personal inventory has to be replaced whenever sets are retired. It never sounded like a good enough deal to entice me to become a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Nope, I don't...but I sell my CTMH at my discount. I'm just a hobby demo looking to stay active. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default It takes effort

I became a demo 5 years ago just for the discount and decided after some pretty good success that it could be a bit of a money-maker for me. I work full-time as well, with a good-paying job (no option for cutting back hours - one of those all or nothing kind of deals), but wanted to take some of my home time to devote to stamping. I'll have to tell you that after 5 years, it still takes great effort to control my purchasing to things I need and not everything I want in order to stay profitable. This last year was my best for profit, but still room for improvement. Having a downline has helped that quite a bit (4 1st level and 2 2nd level).

My advise is to be very mindful of what you buy and try to think of the business aspect - it's hard, but don't let your stamping emotions get away from you and order everything on your wish list.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I made a (small) profit last year. I usually put in 3-5 hours a week on contacting customers and working on my business in general.... I don't do too many workshops though.

There are demos out there who actually support their families on SU alone. My downline said when she was a demo before, she heard of one demo who was bringing in enough income that her DH could stay home.

It really depends on what you want from being a demo. Do you want it to support you and your family? Then work it strictly as a business. Do you want it to support your habit? Then work SOME business and use your profit to buy more stuff

As for havnig to replenish your personal inventory - you can use whatever you want for your personal use You just can't demo anything retired. If something retires and you don't use it that often, you CAN sell or trade it for something new....

The instant income isn't bad considering ALL that SU gives you. You don't have to pay for the hostess sets OR free merchandise. You get a magazine each month with ideas. Instead of listing ALL the advantages, let me share this link with you! It's from copsmonkey's blog - http://stamptimesomewhere.typepad.co...onstrator.html

If you have concerns, it's a GREAT opportunity to interview potential uplines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I think the amount of money that you can make in any direct-selling company depends on the amount of time you put into business. I do make money but it took me several years to build up a solid customer base and I feel workshops and clubs are the key to my success. My clubs assure me that I'll meet my quarterly requirement and my workshops (stamping parties) help me meet new customers. Your customers will come and go so you have to constantly be meeting new people. I don't put as much time into my business as I would like because I do work full-time during the week.

My honest advice would be go ahead and sign up as the $99 special is a great deal if you have a lot of Stampin' Up! product anyway. Then you could 'get your feet wet' and see if this is something that would fit you. DON'T quit your regular job but use it to help you get customers and contacts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Anything is possible, but for you to replace your RN salary would be quite difficult.

Are you willing to book events almost every Saturday and Sunday, and are you willing to go out and get all those bookings?

I dabbled in stamp clubs and events and couldn't make it worth my time financially. I'd spend the whole week designing projects, cutting paper, organizing everything for stamp club. The club itself would last several hours, then I'd have to clean up and enter all of the orders. I'd end up with maybe $100 for my efforts. After taking out the cost of supplies, I don't think I even made minimum wage.

There are demos out there who do it, but they work a lot of hours and hustle to get those bookings.

I'd advise you to sit down and figure out exactly how much you'd want to be making and how much you'd have to sell per month to acheive that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

There are so many factors to consider that it would impossible for any of us to give you a definitive answer. You must consider where you live, how many demonstrators are already working the area, what is the disposable income level of the majority of potential customers (as in my rural area, NONE!), whether you have the outgoing personality needed to find those customers, and whether you have the time and drive to devote to your business.

I began as a hobbiest and although I tried to start it up as a business several times over a five year period, I finally gave up my demoship. I'd reached the saturation point of product and the end of my desire to spend much time at all stamping.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I was a more active demo, but I'm hobby now. My best advice is... when you sign up, also register on the SU! board on this site. There are TONS of ideas on how to profitably run your business!!
My other pieces of advice:
1-you don't have to have every stamp and every color! Buy a few stamps and accessories, then EARN the rest. Build your stamps sets by getting them from different sections... like one Christmas set, one flower set, one background, etc.
2-plan to make the same Make and Takes for every workshop you hold that month. This way you only plan once, but you reap the benefits all month long.
3-make sure your make and takes, samples, etc. showcase the current specials SU! has going on... ie: use wheels if they are having a wheel promotion.
4-have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

When you mention trading retired stamps for new product, does that mean SU takes your retired stuff or you have someone order new product for you in exchange for your retired stuff?

( I tried to use the quote feature...couldn't get it to work..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope.....way in the hole because I love to BUY all the new stuff...
lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddietschView Post
There are so many factors to consider that it would impossible for any of us to give you a definitive answer. You must consider where you live, how many demonstrators are already working the area, what is the disposable income level of the majority of potential customers (as in my rural area, NONE!), whether you have the outgoing personality needed to find those customers, and whether you have the time and drive to devote to your business.
Absolutely.

I resigned after 10 years of attempting to make a serious income from it.

To the OP, as an RN, you would be hard pressed to even come close to replacing your income as a DSA consultant for a stamp company, IMHO, even devoting full-time hours to it, unless you had about 5,000 in your downline (not all Level 1, of course, but scattered among 5).

How quickly do you believe you could attain that many recruits, considering where you live? How assertive you are at pursuing recruits, in addition to your personal sales?

It is not impossible, but, to achieve that kind of income in something like this, you're looking at much more than a standard 40 hour work week, and a lot of time on the road, initially.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by BingalingView Post
When you mention trading retired stamps for new product, does that mean SU takes your retired stuff or you have someone order new product for you in exchange for your retired stuff?

SU! will not take back retired product.

You must replace out of your own pocket what has retired by purchasing new/current.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Anything is possible, but for you to replace your RN salary would be quite difficult.

Are you willing to book events almost every Saturday and Sunday, and are you willing to go out and get all those bookings?

I dabbled in stamp clubs and events and couldn't make it worth my time financially. I'd spend the whole week designing projects, cutting paper, organizing everything for stamp club. The club itself would last several hours, then I'd have to clean up and enter all of the orders. I'd end up with maybe $100 for my efforts. After taking out the cost of supplies, I don't think I even made minimum wage.

There are demos out there who do it, but they work a lot of hours and hustle to get those bookings.

I'd advise you to sit down and figure out exactly how much you'd want to be making and how much you'd have to sell per month to acheive that.
ITA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Keep in mind that your poll may not be "scientific" (I do surveys for a living ;) ) as the ones who DO make money at SU (and there are plenty) do not typically hang out on Splitcoast. I heard this was even discussed on the cruise that top demos earn. The vast majority of that group said they do not come to SCS and I would imagine those who do stick to the "demo side" of the board or the gallery for SU-specific ideas. SCS is a very social place and is truly a "stampers community" for those who love to stamp (with products from all companies). It's not really a business site. There are other Yahoo-based message groups for those who are really "working it".

That said, yes you can make money if you treat it like a business. Only buy the supplies/stamp sets you need, demo the ba-jeebers out of what you do have, replenish only as necessary. You also need to be very willing to put yourself "out there" and talk about SU at every opportunity, the same as anyone else who makes their living in sales.

I am a demo. Do I make money at it? No, but primarily because I'm a stamper first, demo second. If I had to only buy sets that I think I can sell and restrict what I buy, it would take all the dang fun out of it for me. So I buy what I love and if I make a little money (and get a discount) to help defray the costs, great. Another upside is that I can play with the stuff I sell. The people who sell baskets or candles can't play with their stuff.

I think it will be very hard to get a definitive answer to your question based on the group you are asking (broadly speaking). But it is a very legitimate question. Look at the numbers (your potential upline can provide these) and the number of workshops and classes you think you could schedule in a month and see how it comes out. It does take time to build but it can be done.

Good luck with your decision!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a hobby demo and essentially signed on to get the discount. I ran a massage business and did not like the tax hassle and the paperwork so I don't run my SU business to make money. I give away my discount and often share the hostess benefits with friends in card groups. My business has been growing however and my sales are excellent. I don't do parties nor do I actively recruit...but that could change too. ;)

Because you have to constantly invest in the latest offerings (in colors, non-retired sets & accessories) I would think that the profits might be somewhat limited unless you can keep your "investing" to the bare minimum but if you are like most of us...you are into stamping and LIKE to get new stuff. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

As others have mentioned, in order to make money in direct sales, you must recruit. The tiny profit margin you have on sales you make is quickly eaten up in supplies, booking incentives, business cards, advertising, credit card/Paypal fees...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am pretty much a hobby demo. I have a class at my house once a month and have customers who order regularly, but whatever I make, I use to buy stuff for ME! LOL!
I agree with the above posters. I am an RN (I only work a couple of shifts a month due to my children) but I think as a new demo, I would definitley not cut back your hours. I think it would take several years of marketing your SU business to get to the point that you could cut back hours and replace it with SU income. I personally, wouldn't even dream of giving up my RN job with good benefits for anything less than what I was currently making.

If you are a nurse, I would highly recomend that you promote SU to your coworkers. Some of my best customers are the gals that I have worked with through the years! You could start there, and see where it takes you without giving up any hours at your job just yet!
Good luck!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Demos...can you chime in and tell me if/where I'm wrong here? I'm working from memory on numbers and many assumptions, so feel free to correct me.

Top SU! performers are awarded with a cruise. I believe the sales minimum to acheive cruise, if you don't have a downline, is $40,000, right? So I wanted to figure out what it would take to acheive that and what a top performer like that might be earning.

If an average workshop has sales of $350, then you'd have to hold 9.5 workshops per month, or 2.4 workshops per week to meet a $40K sales goal. You'd clearly be working full time to book, prepare and hold all of those events.

With no dowline, just instant income and volume rebates, I think you'd make around 40% of that $40K, right? That's $16,000 per year gross profit, not taking into account the cost of your make & take supplies, gas, tax, business supplies, etc.

So if you were working 40 hours per week and grossing $16K per year, that's $7.69 per hour, before taxes and expenses.

Of course, if you have higher average workshop sales, and especially if you have a large downline, these numbers would be better. But I think it shows how hard you'd have to work to replace a full-time income, especially if you factor in other benefits like health insurance, sick leave, vacation, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a great way to lay it out there, Krystie! That sounds about right to me, and it helps put into perspective the amount of work you would have to put in, for not alot of money. If this is what could make you happy though, and money is not an option, then I say go for it!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Some very good answers here. I'd like to quote and respond to many, but I don't know how to do the multiple quote thing, lol.

I am a demo and I make money, but not nearly enough to support my family. However, I have almost everything I want from SU! and a good chunk of money in my SU! savings account, and I'm ready to start contributing regularly to my DDs' college savings, so I'm doing ok.

My 4th upline used to be an RN and she quit and now makes more than she did with that job. However, it took her a long time to reach that point. It's not something you can do overnight.

With regard to "are you willing to give up every Saturday and Sunday," that is not always true. My 3rd upline has 5 kids, is a stay-at-home mom and does NO workshops on weekends - that is family time. She is always in the top 10 this or the top 10 that and absolutely makes excellent money with her business (I've looked up the cash awards for her milestones - YOWZA!)

It can be done, but it isn't easy. I think one main thing is that you have got to love what you do. My 4th upline has a passion for training, and she is FANTASTIC at it. That's why she's so successful - she has built a downline and she trains them well.

You have to have a business plan and follow it. You have to separate "needs" from "wants." You can't spend more than you earn - that's the main thing (a huge problem in this entire country, nevermind the stamping world).

Here's what I do personally:
My 20% commission goes straight back into my business. I purchase either stampin' supplies or business supplies with that money, as well as pay for customer mailings, my blog fees, my newsletter service, etc. Anything over that 20% (you can earn up to 20% additional, for a total of 40%) goes straight into my savings account, along with any downline commissions I receive.

This way, if I want to spend more than I've made that month, I have to go in and move money from one account to another. It's harder to spend it that way, and it makes me really think before I do it: "Do I really need this?"

You have to be disciplined. You have to plan your work and work your plan. You have to set goals and then (this is the hard part) actually DO what it takes to reach those goals. You have to set up "office hours" just like a real business and stick to them. NOTE: I am NOT a very disciplined person (except for the money thing), which is why I have not climbed higher on the money-making ladder.

You need to ask yourself how badly you want it. Do you have more of a passion for stamping and direct sales than for nursing? Yes, you may have to work more hours as a demonstrator than you do a nurse, at least at first. Would it be worth it to you?

OK, I've rambled on too long. Don't know if this helped or hurt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Demos...can you chime in and tell me if/where I'm wrong here? I'm working from memory on numbers and many assumptions, so feel free to correct me.

Top SU! performers are awarded with a cruise. I believe the sales minimum to acheive cruise, if you don't have a downline, is $40,000, right? So I wanted to figure out what it would take to acheive that and what a top performer like that might be earning.

If an average workshop has sales of $350, then you'd have to hold 9.5 workshops per month, or 2.4 workshops per week to meet a $40K sales goal. You'd clearly be working full time to book, prepare and hold all of those events.

With no dowline, just instant income and volume rebates, I think you'd make around 40% of that $40K, right? That's $16,000 per year gross profit, not taking into account the cost of your make & take supplies, gas, tax, business supplies, etc.

So if you were working 40 hours per week and grossing $16K per year, that's $7.69 per hour, before taxes and expenses.

Of course, if you have higher average workshop sales, and especially if you have a large downline, these numbers would be better. But I think it shows how hard you'd have to work to replace a full-time income, especially if you factor in other benefits like health insurance, sick leave, vacation, etc.
You are right. Sales alone are not enough. You really must build a downline in order to make it in direct sales - any direct sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

I'm a hobby demo. I started off buying the kit because I thought it was a great deal for everything you got, figured I'd give it a try and even if it didn't work out, I got a lot of great goodies at a discount.

I learned the more I treated SU as a business, the less I enjoyed it. I met with a lot of complications. I am highly allergic to pets, limiting the places I could demo, and people didn't always want to come to my place... and my husband didn't like the idea of people I didn't know very well coming to the house for security reasons... sometimes they brought their young children who would go all over and get into my private/fragile things (or worse - my husband's!) and I couldn't keep my eyes on them and the guests... I had a blast during the actual workshops, indicating that I just loved stamping in general. My enthusiasm is infectious, so once people were over everyone hsd fun, but I would rather spend the time STAMPING rather than recruiting, prepping for workshops or other administrative things. I think I just don't have sales in my blood.

My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

As a former CM Consultant, I can tell you that pretty much all of the Direct Sales companies "require" you to recruit before you run into any serious money. And, what if you recruit only girls that want to get their own stuff at a discount, and don't *work* their own business? Plus, they tell you to book your own best customers...well, you WERE making 20% off of them, and now you'll only be making your recruit commission off of them. How much is that? In the single digits right?

You just simply are not going to replace a full time salary making 20-30% on sales alone. You HAVE to have downlines that are recruiting and selling like crazy.

I've been running my own scrapbook/stamp company now for over 5 years and have been able to replace *most* of my income as a full-time accountant. However, I'm working my online store every minute possible. I truly enjoy it, so it's not like "work" to me, but still...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

One thing not mentioned is the tax benefits, as a business you can write off most of your costs against your taxes. It has helped my husband and I pay less taxes......

Tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

What a great thread. I've been on the fence about being a demo and you guys have answered many questions. I'm also an RN and work every weekend. Would that put a damper on business? Since I already have a ton of SU stuff, my motivation is just to convert people and get them hooked on a craft that I love so much.
What is the difference between the instant income and volume rebate? I know it said one is a check that SU sends you. But is the instant income just a discount on future SU supplies? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 602 Likes on 246 Posts

Stampin' Up! is no different than any other direct sales business in that you get out of it what you put into it. And I mean time, money and effort combined. Do I have a great business? No, and I don't work at it at all, my choice. In a few years my answer may be different which is the beauty of having a home business. Do I make enough in sales to keep myself in stamps? Sometimes.
Do I love it anyway? Heck yeah.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingoladyView Post
What a great thread. I've been on the fence about being a demo and you guys have answered many questions. I'm also an RN and work every weekend. Would that put a damper on business? Since I already have a ton of SU stuff, my motivation is just to convert people and get them hooked on a craft that I love so much.
What is the difference between the instant income and volume rebate? I know it said one is a check that SU sends you. But is the instant income just a discount on future SU supplies? TIA
I made the comment about having events every weekend because it was my experience that most people wanted to book workshops on the weekends. I personally, think it would be more difficult to have a successful party-based business if you couldn't book weekends.

Instant income is the money you keep when someone pays you for product. They pay you $20 for a stamp set, you keep 20%, or $4.00 immediately.

Volume rebate is a monthly incentive that you receive when your sales hit certain levels. It's given to you via direct deposit into your bank account. There are different levels based on sales, a demo can let you know what those are.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can make money with SU *if* you live in the right area and are dedicated to WORKING at it! Having a great (and I mean truly GREAT) upline is a huge asset as well. PM me and I'll put you in touch with an upline who is beyond awesome!

Personally, I came to realize quickly that I don't live in the right area to really 'make it' as a serious business demo. I'm far too rural. My closest big city is 3 hours away. It's not that people around me don't do papercrafts, they do! But there just aren't enough people to buy enough product or attend enough classes to keep me making serious money.

Another bad area is one that is already flooded with established demos. Not that you can't break into a market like that, but it's going to be a lot harder to do and take even more work on your part.

But if you have some city base to work with and are in a low to mid saturation point with local demos AND you want to work your tail off... you CAN do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinwillowsfarmView Post
You can make money with SU *if* you live in the right area and are dedicated to WORKING at it! Having a great (and I mean truly GREAT) upline is a huge asset as well. PM me and I'll put you in touch with an upline who is beyond awesome!

Personally, I came to realize quickly that I don't live in the right area to really 'make it' as a serious business demo. I'm far too rural. My closest big city is 3 hours away. It's not that people around me don't do papercrafts, they do! But there just aren't enough people to buy enough product or attend enough classes to keep me making serious money.

Another bad area is one that is already flooded with established demos. Not that you can't break into a market like that, but it's going to be a lot harder to do and take even more work on your part.

But if you have some city base to work with and are in a low to mid saturation point with local demos AND you want to work your tail off... you CAN do it!
Good points, too!

I think all too often people forget to assess their location, and the demographics of their location, cost of living, and a whole host of other factors that are just as important as personal drive/motivation, work ethic, and sales ability or genuine love of a sales type career.

No matter what it is, or how great or high quality a product is, it doesn't just "sell itself", contrary to the old saying . . . ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan StamperView Post
You are right. Sales alone are not enough. You really must build a downline in order to make it in direct sales - any direct sales.
I agree that is the biggest thing that determines most of the people that are the big time demos. They have HUGE trees of downline. A lot of them started way back when and just have built and built and built. I remember at RI regionals being in such awe of all these people that did their demos and then later reading about them in the Stampin Success -- I was just so amazed.

You really have to work hard at it and figure out what is worth it to you -- I know a few SU demos that it caused MAJOR strife in their family and marriages and SU became the "other woman" in a way that it took up so much time -- so you realy have to have a great support system that is supportive of what you do as well and not one that fights you on it.

I miss being a demo but would have to go back to being a hobby demo and doing occasional classes -- really miss the teaching aspect of it, not the going to someone's house and doing workshops aspect at all --

I would not quit my day job in this economy for SU unless you had customers lined up with deep pockets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BingalingView Post

Sorry! I should have clarified! By trading I mean, here on SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

So demos don't want to sign up people under them that only want to be hobby demos?

Bummer! I only want to be a hobby demo. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
So demos don't want to sign up people under them that only want to be hobby demos?

Bummer! I only want to be a hobby demo. :(
Not true. Many demos, myself included, would gladly welcome a hobby demo. It's all about the love of stamping!

I think the confusion came when someone said if their "best customers" signed up to be demos they (the original demo) would lose a source of their sales. But if someone is spending a fair amount on SU regularly, they should definitely sign up, especially when there are recruiting specials going on, like right now.

Go on and sign up and enjoy being a hobby demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

It's not that they don't *want* to sign hobby demos. Sometimes they get bonuses, or qualify for certain levels just by the sheer numbers of demos under them.

But, if it were you and you were wanting to make money, and the fastest, easiest way to make money was off your downline sales, would you want to take the time to train a new demo, put time and effort into helping them, only to have them do the minimum?

The more productive their downlines are, the more money they make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaVBView Post
It's not that they don't *want* to sign hobby demos. Sometimes they get bonuses, or qualify for certain levels just by the sheer numbers of demos under them.

But, if it were you and you were wanting to make money, and the fastest, easiest way to make money was off your downline sales, would you want to take the time to train a new demo, put time and effort into helping them, only to have them do the minimum?

The more productive their downlines are, the more money they make.
I would have thought that SU would have structured it so that even at the minimum levels, it was worth your while to sign up anyone. Guess not.

And what training or support does a hobby demo really need? I only plan to order for myself and no one else. So I only need a short tutorial on how to place online orders. I can't imagine that would take all that much time as anyone here on SCS is already pretty internet savvy, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

On the Cons Side, ask yourself these questions:

Can you handle the temptation of buying new stamps at every release? Can you find a hard-core group of people that are seriously devoted to YOU? Can you meet that hard-core groups demands? (And they WILL demand!) Can you handle the fact that if you do hands-on demonstrations your stuff WILL get messed up? (Ask me about my SU! markers and ink pads!). Can you handle the fact that you are demonstrating to a group of 10 year old girls whose mother only did a party for you to baby-sit 15 other 10 year old girls while their mothers sit in the kitchen and get drunk? (Yes- it's happened to me!) Can you handle the fact that you have to spend a certain dollar amount to make your minimum? And if you can make that minimum right now, will you be able to make it tomorrow?...a week from now....6 months from now....1 year from now??

On the Pros side, ask yourself these questions:

SU! has some fabulous stamps! There is always the SCS Demos Forum which gives you lots of inspiration to meet those demanding customers' needs. You get a discount for all that you buy - or you can choose to up the antie and run your own promotionals and give your discount to your customer's. You can choose how you want to do a party - you don't have to do hands-on, but only truly demonstrate. It is really very flexible. There is always the fun of going to convention.

Sit down and have a long talk with yourself and a pen and paper and decide why do I want to do this? What do I expect to achieve? Am I willing to give up time for people to DO this job?

Then research the facts. How many demos are in my area? Is my Upline going to be committed to ME growing my business or only out to make more money for themselves? Am I committed to growing my business and helping any downlines? What are YOU trying to achieve?

All that being said, it's all about stamping and creating! Just do what YOU want to do!

I hoped my ramblings helped! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes