Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you think I am trying to start a war?
Yes 36 34.29%
No 69 65.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
........Thanks for the grammer lesson (just found the spellcheck button...);)
Holy Cow!! There IS a spellcheck! :rolleyes: Can't believe I've missed that for so long!

As far as I'm concerned, if anybody gets "yelled" at by a demo for using too much tape, they should consider finding another demo. That's just rude behavior. If I saw someone literally covering the entire back of a piece of cardstock, then I'd probably say something in a lighthearted way.

Having said that, though, I am one who DOES use mono on all four sides, and a dollop in the middle for good measure. Cards that I receive, if they're SU cards, that is, go up on a display board. I can't tell you how many have fallen apart sitting up on those boards, and it's almost always cards where just a dab in each corner was used.

I'm just flabbergasted thinking about the demo who yelled at a guest, a newbie stamper no less, for using too much adhesive. That's just icky.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

I provide the adhesive at my workshops. However, everyone must bring their own adhesive for my camps and classes unless the project requires a certain type of adhesive and then I provide it and it's included in the fee. I do put out some SU glue sticks and two way glue if someone should forget their adhesive but I'm not purchasing Snail anymore for projects because too much gets wasted and I can't afford to keep refilling it.

However, I could never even fathom yelling at someone for using too much. I would just write it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #123  
Crimping Master

Demo's, do you think your customers use too much adhesive (snail)??
Customer's, do you think it is kind of silly to be worried about this?

The questions are, IMO, kinda like saying "Do you walk to school or take your lunch?" It leaves me a little confused as to what you really want to know.

I think the questions could have been worded:
1. Demos, do you think your customers use too much adhesive at workshops?
2. Customers, do you think you use too much adhesive at workshops?

It came across - to me - like it didn't matter to you what the answer to the first question was because your second question implied that this was a silly issue to you that demos shouldn't worry about.

I also didn't vote in your poll because it requires me to make a personal judgment about what your motive is in your OP. I think the fact that it's a public poll where all the names are shown intimidates some people, so you aren't going to get a "true" picture of what people think (not that it's scientific in the first place).

Not trying to stir anything up, just trying to let you know how I interpreted what I read in the OP!! :-D It is a good to discuss these things so demos know what customers think and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #124  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Default sorry

Thank you for pointing out the snottiness of my question, you're right, it could have been worded differently without the word "silly". I take things very lightly and assume others do also.
It is easy to forget how sensitive people are (myself included).

Friends are lost very easily in emails and posts like these and I forgot that. It is so easy to post something here in cyberspace that we would normally never in a million years say to someone's face and it is also easy enough to forget that, I apologize.

I figured it to be 1.04 CENTS per inch for a Snail refill which to me doesnt seem like it is that expensive. I just figure the price of buying all my snail refills in my order every single time I order anything and so do all the people I know that stamp and solely use Snail from SU so I didn't realize the expense to some people, but I learned that from this thread! Cool, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker

The questions are, IMO, kinda like saying "Do you walk to school or take your lunch?" It leaves me a little confused as to what you really want to know.

It came across - to me - like it didn't matter to you what the answer to the first question was because your second question implied that this was a silly issue to you that demos shouldn't worry about.

I also didn't vote in your poll because it requires me to make a personal judgment about what your motive is in your OP. I think the fact that it's a public poll where all the names are shown intimidates some people, so you aren't going to get a "true" picture of what people think (not that it's scientific in the first place).

Not trying to stir anything up, just trying to let you know how I interpreted what I read in the OP!! :-D It is a good to discuss these things so demos know what customers think and vice versa.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #125  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker

I don't know you either, did not choose to leave a reply but for the same reasons quoted above, DID VOTE, yes.

Your choice of wording just prompted my honest response. my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #126  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Again, I am having to defend myself because people are so quick to make assumptions about people that they don't know.

Yes, most people have been positive. Let's hope it stays that way.

The poll was started because of a few PM's I recieved with some 411, it is meant for fun, do they even allow laughter on this site?
I am going to respond, even though I really try to keep out of 'personal' issues because maybe my perspective might be of help. I do this knowing that because no one here truly 'knows' me, that there will be assumptions made because posters have to in order to understand. That is the nature of posting on boards such as this. For example, people here don't know that my sense of humor is laced with irony and that I love to laugh at myself and the silliness of being human, and that doesn't translate well into written form, so I don't use it. Without the hand gestures, the non-verbal cues, I am quickly misunderstood in written form. I know this and accept it. Some of us come across much better in real life.

I try very hard to follow post etiquette, responding to the question or idea, and not to the personality. It definatly doesn't make me the life of the party, but it does keep me out of hot water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #127  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I figured it to be 1.04 CENTS per inch for a Snail refill which to me doesnt seem like it is that expensive. I just figure the price of buying all my snail refills in my order every single time I order anything and so do all the people I know that stamp and solely use Snail from SU so I didn't realize the expense to some people, but I learned that from this thread! Cool, huh?
and I think that's a good lesson to learn. It may not seem like a huge expense to a single user, but multiply that $1/foot times the number of projects and the number of participants at camps, and it adds up quickly. I will continue to provide adhesive for my customers, but I cannot afford to take a loss like I did last time... I spent over $100 on adhesive alone...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #128  
Rubber Obsessor

I have heard of the Momo Multi glue and was wondering if you can buy it in the stores? We have a Michaels here and one or two scrapbook stores. Do you think I'd find it there? I'd like to try it first before I order a bunch of it online and have to pay for shipping too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #129  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
I am not a demo. I am a customer- but even if they are doing it for the love of stamping I can't imagine anyone demo being happy if workshops and such actually COST them money.

SU is a business. We as customers are very lucky that most of the demos are so giving to us.
It is nice to see customers that understand and appreciate that demos love stamping, but they don't love to see their stuff (that the demo has to buy and pay for) wasted or destroyed. You might be surprised to find out that not only do some demos not even break, many if not the majority at least initially, do take a loss each year. I know the first year I was close to $1500 in the hole with supplies (catalogs, mailing of flyers, cardstock, ink, stamp sets, embellishments, ADHESIVE...), food at events, gas with delivering orders, etc. I also had a loss (smaller, but still in the hole) the second and third years. At that point the IRS doesn't let you count it as a business, so you can't even deduct your losses beyond that time, but many demos continue anyway for the "love" of it. I know as customers you don't need or want to know all that, but it might give you a new perspective on why a demo might get a little protective of her adhesive. Just a thought on the matter...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #130  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Please tell me what is "baiting" about "Demos and Customers, too much adhesive" cause I don't see it, guess I don't have that kind of mentality.
How about this "Hey, all my great friends on SCS, are you an adhesive abuser, too??", i'll try that next time, thanks for the idea.

Again, I am having to defend myself because people are so quick to make assumptions about people that they don't know.

Yes, most people have been positive. Let's hope it stays that way.

The poll was started because of a few PM's I recieved with some 411, it is meant for fun, do they even allow laughter on this site?
I answered your question clearly and honestly so I am going ahead and putting myself in the "positive" group;) . Although as somebody pointed out earlier your original question's wording and the fact that you had it listed as from the SCS board *did* make it seem a bit like you were gearing up to make it a demo/non-demo issue. And since that is what another thread turned into I am thinking that perhaps this is why some were skeptical about your motives (I am not saying that is your motive, just pointing out why some may feel that way).

I went ahead and gave you an honest answer based on my experiences. But then you went back and added the poll to your question and have also said
Quote:

The poll was started because of a few PM's I recieved with some 411, it is meant for fun, do they even allow laughter on this site
I have no idea what PMs you did or did not recieve, and frankly it is not my concern. To my knowledge nobody from this site (meaning administrators, or moderators) has admonished you for your posts. I will take you on your word that you have a general curiosity for how demos feel about things since you also asked about demos feelings and what was allowed in regards to the Summer Mini (if I am recalling correctly):mrgreen: . So again I am taking you at your word that you are feeling things out, but then when you added in your poll it makes me go hmmmmm:confused: and feel that perhaps (at least a teeny weeny bit) you enjoy being the one in the thick of things.

Again my answer to your OP was honest and true, but I will tell you that if you had posted the poll initially worded in the way it is now, I probably would have skipped by your post as it seems less done out of an actual quest for info and more tongue in cheek. ;)

my two cents

Last edited by camsmom; 04-26-2006 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #131  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Yes, the poll is pretty "tongue in cheek" and please skip it. I assumed that everyone would skip it since they don't know enough about me, yet, to form an opinion on this.

The OP was serious. Please go back and refer to my previous posts since I explained myself several times and leave work in 15 minutes and have work to do that I have put off because I have been to busy SCS'ing...
Thanks for your honesty!

"Again my answer to your OP was honest and true, but I will tell you that if you had posted the poll initially worded in the way it is now, I probably would have skipped by your post as it seems less done out of an actual quest for info and more tongue in cheek."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #132  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
Yes, on the mono multi, it is white with green lids... the clear blue bottle called mono aqua is an entirely different product. It holds well, but buckles the cardstock, so I won't use it!

I like the mono aqua- but i have learned that a little goes a looooooong way. If I use too much, I get the buckling, but if I do a nice conservative thin line, it works AWESOME. And it is cheap! $2-3 maybe? I use the pen tip and it is quick,clean and easy! I may never use mono again!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
and I think that's a good lesson to learn. It may not seem like a huge expense to a single user, but multiply that $1/foot times the number of projects and the number of participants at camps, and it adds up quickly. I will continue to provide adhesive for my customers, but I cannot afford to take a loss like I did last time... I spent over $100 on adhesive alone...
Ok. I have been trying to stay out of this somewhat but I will have to say this: If you are a demo and you are demonstrating prodcuts to a customer then you are going to have to let them use it. From a CUSTOMER's standpoint (and this is NOT an attack on demos just an honest opinion from a customer who appreciates good service)-it is reasonable to charge a supply fee at a stamp camp- just have the fee include ALL supplies including adhesive. If you are going to do a demo in someone's home showcasing products to a group for potential sales then it would be absolutely rude to request people bring their own supplies including adhesive. If a demo did that to me I would absolutely NEVER order from her again. Fortunately I have a great demo who knows you have to spend money to make money and would never do such a thing. Also, I have owned a home-based business before and know that you can write your supplies off on your taxes. A lot of people miss deductions from home-based businesses just because they don't know any better. I would think your generosity would be greatly rewarded with your sales and on your tax return. If not, then you should evaluate your business practices and research all available deductions from your taxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #134  
Pearl-ExPert

I think what most people are saying that when they do in home demonstrations, they definately supply the adhesive. But when it comes to stamp camps, stamp a stack, etc, they request that people bring their own. The first stamp camp I went to my demo gave us extra tickets for the door prize if we brought our own, but also had it out for those who forgot. She also gave a very nice demonstration of how much you should use. I don't think she, or I!, would ever yell at a customer for using too much. A helpful hint maybe, but no further.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #135  
Die Cut Diva

I believe that the concensus is that demos do provide adhesives and their demonstrations/workshops. The issue at debate is for stamp camps where participants are doing multiple projects, and the cost associated with that.

As a demo, I look at my participants, are they regular stampers? If so, I ask them to bring their own adhesive, and either keep the price lower, or increase the number of embelishments to meet a certain break even point. Stampers all have their own preference of adhesive, and I never say a thing about what kind of adhesive they bring - it is their choice. If there are newcomers, I offer to bring adhesive for them to purchase, and take the time to discuss the merits of each kind of adhesive.

As far as tax deductions go, it is only a deduction if a demo is allowed to claim a loss (the 3 year rule in the US). A deduction only allows a percentage, based on the individual demo's tax position which will vary depending on the individual.

The bottom line is that each demo has a break even point, each as individual as the demos themselves. The customer has the right to chose their demo for the best fit, so it pays to shop around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #136  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Yes, the poll is pretty "tongue in cheek" and please skip it. I assumed that everyone would skip it since they don't know enough about me, yet, to form an opinion on this.

The OP was serious. Please go back and refer to my previous posts since I explained myself several times and leave work in 15 minutes and have work to do that I have put off because I have been to busy SCS'ing...
Thanks for your honesty!

"Again my answer to your OP was honest and true, but I will tell you that if you had posted the poll initially worded in the way it is now, I probably would have skipped by your post as it seems less done out of an actual quest for info and more tongue in cheek."
okay-just sharing my perspective with you
Have a good one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #137  
Polyshrink Goddess

Also keep in mind whether or not a demo supplies adhesive may depend on the size of the group - NOT just because of cost but also because of practical matters - ie. if a stamp camp has dozens of attendees it may be a bit cost prohibitive, and very impratical, for a demo to have 30+ monos or tape dispensers available and with several people sharing one mono or tape dispenser there can be a long wait so that all can share it. I've attended both stampin up events and non-su events where it was requested that people bring their own adhesive - it was never a bother in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #138  
Hardware Hotshot

another tricky thing I've done as a demo for classes is I use my new monos for personal stuff until they are about 1/2 way and only let students have the ones that are on their tail ends.
That way if it goes missing, (it happens!) I'm not out 10 bucks plus tax and shipping!
I state that there should be enough for everybody if they use common sense and then there is usually a moment when one will run out and I can change one over and re-iterate the price of refills and full ones.

as far as demonstrating and non su stuff...

I love fiskars and snail and coluzzle and versa and stazon, and if students/customers find it somewhere else then ... great !
at least they become dedicated to the quality.
it , to me, just shows that SU! is dedicated to sourcing the finest accesories to complement its exclusive products. and for me, the stamps colors cs and inks all sell themselves!
I find that customers will tack these non exclusive accesories onto their orders anyway, as most are mommies, it saves them a trip to micheals and that is worth the money to them too!
gas prices being what they are...and time management aside...I show them at least ten things they can do with each accessory so , again... worth it!

great thread... not nasty yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #139  
Watercolor Wizard

Thank you kiraj, laderme, and kimberup for answering that post for me. You all answered it better than I could, and I appreciate it! I think I need stitches in my tongue.....

ETA: at workshops I use gluesticks, ONLY SU gluesticks, I don't use mono on cards because I find it unreliable... When I can't use gluesticks, I use sticky strip... I let my customers glue til their hearts are content.... but the sticky a little goes a long way, and when someone is covering an entire surface with it, that's just wasteful....

Last edited by fool4scrapping; 04-26-2006 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #140  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to do with a stamp camp - but my SIL, niece & I were making birth announcements & I noticed my SIL using a TON of mono.....running it around each side & down the middle - but not applying any pressure at all to get it to stick. Guess she thought all the tape would do the job. So when I refilled the dispenser I asked her not to use soooo much & showed her how a little would work. Her son-in-law heard me & joked on his beer! her daughter cracked up (said she never had the nerve to tell mom) & my SILs been making fun of me ever since.....nicely & all in fun -- we are really the best of friends {:-)
In her defense - she hasn't stamped a lot BUT she also spends money on stuff w/o thinking about it. I use coupons - she won't even cut them out of the paper.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #141  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Girfriend, those girls got your back;)
I am not saying it isnt "wasteful" but it is just some people's neurotic ways that forces them to stick stuff to death and your post earlier about including the price of a snail in the fee for the class/camp is AWESOME! Then they would get to stamp and make stuff and bring a product home, I would love that (said that earlier, sorry)

Oh, check out my revised "up to SCS standards" OP! Y'all will be proud of me, I am getting nicer every minute

***JulieHRR - I did not get anything about this snail discussion from the SCS demo forum. I did however get a peek (not really a "peek" but a PM) at the ugly conversation they had about me earlier today, the mods took care of that one quick!***

Quote:

Thank you kiraj, laderme, and kimberup for answering that post for me. You all answered it better than I could, and I appreciate it! I think I need stitches in my tongue.....

ETA: at workshops I use gluesticks, ONLY SU gluesticks, I don't use mono on cards because I find it unreliable... When I can't use gluesticks, I use sticky strip... I let my customers glue til their hearts are content.... but the sticky a little goes a long way, and when someone is covering an entire surface with it, that's just wasteful....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #142  
Die Cut Diva

K, I went to www.franticstamper.com to take a look at the Trio, which looks super cool. 3 widths of double-sided adhesive in one dispenser. Wow!!

But....check out what they have right below the Trio on the adhesives page. I'm not too sure about $60 for the dispenser, but the refills are so long and not expensive. Does anyone have the ATG dispensers? What do you think of them?

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #143  
Crimping Master

For a workshop in someone elses home, I bring the adhesive..both snail and dotto, I like them to try them both.

For my club meetings in my home, the women bring their own adhesives and cutters of choice.....however, if they forget or run out they are free to use mine..and I don't charge them for it.

It works for us & no one has ever complained, as a matter of fact they LIKE to bring their own, because some of them HATE snail!! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #144  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05
Ok. I have been trying to stay out of this somewhat but I will have to say this: If you are a demo and you are demonstrating prodcuts to a customer then you are going to have to let them use it. From a CUSTOMER's standpoint (and this is NOT an attack on demos just an honest opinion from a customer who appreciates good service)-it is reasonable to charge a supply fee at a stamp camp- just have the fee include ALL supplies including adhesive. If you are going to do a demo in someone's home showcasing products to a group for potential sales then it would be absolutely rude to request people bring their own supplies including adhesive. If a demo did that to me I would absolutely NEVER order from her again. Fortunately I have a great demo who knows you have to spend money to make money and would never do such a thing. Also, I have owned a home-based business before and know that you can write your supplies off on your taxes. A lot of people miss deductions from home-based businesses just because they don't know any better. I would think your generosity would be greatly rewarded with your sales and on your tax return. If not, then you should evaluate your business practices and research all available deductions from your taxes.
Ok, now that I've had a cool down period I can post a response to this without the emotions your post inspired yesterday. I am a total SU snob, but I let my customers use everything.... I am the only demo in my group who actually lets my customers TOUCH and USE my crayons. All the others scribble some color on a window sheet and use that. I feel they need to play with them... I use strictly SU products for any stamping event I hold, workshop, camp, or class. I provide everything they need for a reasonable price. I do not want to have to raise my prices for my specialty classes/camps, but I cannot afford to NOT raise them if they are going to over use adhesive. I understand full well that I can claim it on my taxes... however spending $100 a camp on adhesive doesn't help my bottom line NOW. It's kinda like saying I should take a lower paying job so that I can get a bigger refund... I don't want to change my standard of living just so I can claim a larger deduction... and if it comes down to losing money on camps, I'll just not do them and go back to being a hobbyist...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #145  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Oh, I'm not a demo, just an adhesive addict
I do agree that people should bring their own adhesive, I guess, but what about the $20.00 that I paid to go to the stamp camp?
At a regular SU party you would want your future, potential customers to use your snail so they can get hooked on it like I have, right?
I have been stamping for about 5 months and I have used 3 snail refills and I have 6 more coming in my order on Thursday, just in case, I love the stuff! It is a great product and I ma a guaranteed return customer because of it
I understand the concern of mono adhesive abuse. It is very expensive and I am an adhesive abuser myself. The first year I did my own Christmas cards, my brother and sister-in-law open their card along with the presents and the front totally fell off. I had five photo squares holding it together. That is what they found. They put the card on their mantle with only the five adhesive squares on it. They didn't even tell me about it but I heard about it from my mother who called them up to see if they liked the cards I made. They never even found the front among the wrapping paper so never knew what it was supposed to look like. I couldn't believe they thought that was what I had sent, but they said that it was perfectly centered so they weren't sure. Ever since I lean to the abuser side.
Although I understand about the cost of mono, I would be quite put off if I was told not to use so much adhesive after paying the $20. Come to think of it, I just wouldn't pay $20 CAN to go to a stamp camp let alone American without justification of why the price is so high. I am the kind of person who wouldn't say anything but just wouldn't go to another one again.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #146  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
Although I understand about the cost of mono, I would be quite put off if I was told not to use so much adhesive after paying the $20. Come to think of it, I just wouldn't pay $20 CAN to go to a stamp camp let alone American without justification of why the price is so high. I am the kind of person who wouldn't say anything but just wouldn't go to another one again.
See this is exactly why I am hesitant to raise my prices. If I raised my prices enough to cover the costs, nobody would come anyway....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #147  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
I understand the concern of mono adhesive abuse. It is very expensive and I am an adhesive abuser myself. The first year I did my own Christmas cards, my brother and sister-in-law open their card along with the presents and the front totally fell off. I had five photo squares holding it together. That is what they found. They put the card on their mantle with only the five adhesive squares on it. They didn't even tell me about it but I heard about it from my mother who called them up to see if they liked the cards I made. They never even found the front among the wrapping paper so never knew what it was supposed to look like. I couldn't believe they thought that was what I had sent, but they said that it was perfectly centered so they weren't sure. Ever since I lean to the abuser side.
OK, this totally cracks me up! Another poster mentioned that her sister(?, a demo, I believe) also received a naked card and thought it was supposed to be like that! I am dying just thinking of the naked card sitting on the mantle with all of the nice Christmas cards! Makes me wonder how many of my relatives (all non-stampers) may have received a fallen-apart one from me and never mentioned it to me! Maybe I will be a little more heavy-handed w/ the mono from now on... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #148  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I understand full well that I can claim it on my taxes... however spending $100 a camp on adhesive doesn't help my bottom line NOW. It's kinda like saying I should take a lower paying job so that I can get a bigger refund... I don't want to change my standard of living just so I can claim a larger deduction... and if it comes down to losing money on camps, I'll just not do them and go back to being a hobbyist...
Plus writing off $100 in adhesive doesn't get you reimbursed for the adhesive, you just don't have to pay income tax on that money.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #149  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

See this is exactly why I am hesitant to raise my prices. If I raised my prices enough to cover the costs, nobody would come anyway....

Exactly. I'd say introduce the snail every once in a while (it is expensive) It only took once to hook me. I like to also see the gluesticks , brads, doto, etc. If the camps or classes have the same people. Use a different adhesive every time. If I had a choice of adhesives I would pick the snail every time. My demo uses the glue sticks. I don't think I ever saw the snail except for a party she did that I went to and that's what hooked me. It might not be a great idea but it's an idea.

Another thing I thought of was how the "abuser clause" is presented. If before the projects are started there is a demo on the snail. "Wow this is a really strong adhesive ... all you need is a square here, there, etc. It is more expensive than the glue pen, glue stick but a little goes a long way... Here's how you use it to make it stick best." I would know the expectation is so much snail per layer and would not abuse. It would be a little different if nothing was said until I used the mono as I do at home and then am chastized for being an abuser, or if while I'm trying to do my the the "abuser police" hovering over me.
I don't think it is so much what is said but how it is said.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #150  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I am not saying it isnt "wasteful" but it is just some people's neurotic ways that forces them to stick stuff to death and your post earlier about including the price of a snail in the fee for the class/camp is AWESOME! Then they would get to stamp and make stuff and bring a product home, I would love that (said that earlier, sorry)

Consider the earlier posts about the cost of snail being $10 in Canada, and the fact that some customer's wouldn't spend $20 for a camp......If we added the snail as a take home, the cost of the camp would be $30 which would knock out more customers attending.

But your comment about having product to take home is intriguing. What other products would be considered a bonus, but still affordable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #151  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Ok. I have been trying to stay out of this somewhat but I will have to say this: If you are a demo and you are demonstrating prodcuts to a customer then you are going to have to let them use it.
When I read fool4scrappin's original post, I didn't take it to mean that she didn't want her customers to use her adhesive. She had a project that required sticky strip for part of it, and the instructions for the project clearly stated where the sticky strip was to be used. Because some of her customers decided to use it on the whole project instead, she had other customers that were not able to finish the project - and as she has said, she then felt she needed to include a free roll of the sticky strip with their orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #152  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Oh, yes, I would LOVE to get to take home a product. One demo I have gives out cards that are already made for door prizes & though they are nice, they have her name on the back and I would never give them out to anyone so they sit in my little card box and I forget all about them. Another demo I know gives out a color family of paper or snail or some ribbon and it is AWESOME! Basically, just getting to take home something you can use for your own work is great!
I mean the only bad thing about SU is the waiting until the stuff gets here (have a BIG order coming today!!!)!
In a camp type setting, since you are making cards that you get to take home then something like the snail or some ribbon (not a whole roll) or some brads, something that was used on the cards you made and that you could use later (and order, most likely) would be a great idea!

Example:
My demo is having one of the Christmas in July party's so we can see the new catty & make some Christmas cards. We will pay $10 and get to make some Christmas cards and with any purchase of $50 or more we get the new catty for FREE, now that is what I am talking about! Oh, and any Christmas sets we buy will be 10% off. I would be buying anyway because right now I am spending about $100 per month on stuff but with the new catty offer, i'll DEFINITELY be buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laderme
But your comment about having product to take home is intriguing. What other products would be considered a bonus, but still affordable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #153  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Oh, yes, I would LOVE to get to take home a product. One demo I have gives out cards that are already made for door prizes & though they are nice, they have her name on the back and I would never give them out to anyone so they sit in my little card box and I forget all about them. Another demo I know gives out a color family of paper or snail or some ribbon and it is AWESOME! Basically, just getting to take home something you can use for your own work is great!
I mean the only bad thing about SU is the waiting until the stuff gets here (have a BIG order coming today!!!)!
In a camp type setting, since you are making cards that you get to take home then something like the snail or some ribbon (not a whole roll) or some brads, something that was used on the cards you made and that you could use later (and order, most likely) would be a great idea!

Example:
My demo is having one of the Christmas in July party's so we can see the new catty & make some Christmas cards. We will pay $10 and get to make some Christmas cards and with any purchase of $50 or more we get the new catty for FREE, now that is what I am talking about! Oh, and any Christmas sets we buy will be 10% off. I would be buying anyway because right now I am spending about $100 per month on stuff but with the new catty offer, i'll DEFINITELY be buying.
I usually give away a door prize every hour. I've given away glue sticks, embossing powders, Cardstock samples, ribbon samples, etc. I love giving out product for them to take home. I usually have one big prize and that can be anything from a 3D stamped object to a small stamp set or a gift certificate. I think my customers get quite a bit for their registration, and I agree that giving product is the way to go... gets people using something they might not normally try on their own.

(at my last camp I even let them use HODGE PODGE HARDWARE!! I know, I'm INSANE!);)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #154  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet
When I read fool4scrappin's original post, I didn't take it to mean that she didn't want her customers to use her adhesive. She had a project that required sticky strip for part of it, and the instructions for the project clearly stated where the sticky strip was to be used. Because some of her customers decided to use it on the whole project instead, she had other customers that were not able to finish the project - and as she has said, she then felt she needed to include a free roll of the sticky strip with their orders.
Thank you, that is exactly what happened...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #155  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've always provided the adhesive for my classes and I don't really care how much they put on. I tell them what people suggest, but I'm an adhesive hog and don't mind others being that way too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #156  
Embossing Fanatic

My demo uses double stick tape at all of her camps...and for whatever reason, every time, I take the last few pieces of the roll. I'm not abusing it, I swear...I just get the empties all the time! I'd have to say that if it's an issue, just bring your own.

As for where to put the tape, I've found that one in each corner works well on the first mount, but when you have multiple layers of cardstock, the last layer needs more to make it stick. I do one strip at the top and bottom and one down the center (like the captial letter I)

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #157  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=thuskins]I understand the concern of mono adhesive abuse. It is very expensive and I am an adhesive abuser myself. The first year I did my own Christmas cards, my brother and sister-in-law open their card along with the presents and the front totally fell off. I had five photo squares holding it together. That is what they found. They put the card on their mantle with only the five adhesive squares on it. They didn't even tell me about it but I heard about it from my mother who called them up to see if they liked the cards I made. They never even found the front among the wrapping paper so never knew what it was supposed to look like. I couldn't believe they thought that was what I had sent, but they said that it was perfectly centered so they weren't sure. Ever since I lean to the abuser side.
QUOTE]

I apologize for laughing, but I can't help it! I can't even imagine what they thought when they looked at your lovely creation! How sweet of them to put it on the mantle. I bet you were the topic of discussion for a day or two!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #158  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ok, now that I've had a cool down period I can post a response to this without the emotions your post inspired yesterday. I am a total SU snob, but I let my customers use everything.... I am the only demo in my group who actually lets my customers TOUCH and USE my crayons. All the others scribble some color on a window sheet and use that. I feel they need to play with them... I use strictly SU products for any stamping event I hold, workshop, camp, or class. I provide everything they need for a reasonable price. I do not want to have to raise my prices for my specialty classes/camps, but I cannot afford to NOT raise them if they are going to over use adhesive. I understand full well that I can claim it on my taxes... however spending $100 a camp on adhesive doesn't help my bottom line NOW. It's kinda like saying I should take a lower paying job so that I can get a bigger refund... I don't want to change my standard of living just so I can claim a larger deduction... and if it comes down to losing money on camps, I'll just not do them and go back to being a hobbyist...
Well, I am truly sorry if my post upset you so much that you couldn't even respond until this morning. I am very glad to hear that you let your customers try everything- that is wonderful! My demo is so awesome about that and I can honestly tell you that I have had to get a new job making more money to support my stamping habit because she is so good about it!! I absolutely want my demo to make money off of my orders and if you were my demo I would wish the same. However, from a customer's stand point I would be highly offended if she charged me a supply fee for a stamp camp AND ask me to bring my own supplies whether it be adhesive, ink or what have you. It has nothing to do with me wanting her to lose money, I would never want that. She is an absolute wonderful demo who is a stay-at-home mom and I don't want to take advantage of her generosity. I would however, appreciate that if I pay a "supply fee" then ALL of my supplies would be covered. Fortunately, the only stamp camp I went to did provide all the supplies. One demo did mention something about not using too much but since I am not an adhesive junkie- she didn't say it to me and she wasn't really "policing" how much everyone used- she just mentioned it. No one here including the poster wants demos to lose out on $$ but there is a certain way to treat your customers. Better customer service = more sales = more profits. I would rather pay a higher supply fee than have to worry with bringing my own supplies. As a customer, I am there to have fun and try the products so I can order them (and I always do....) from my demo- I shouldn't have to worry if I brought the right supplies with me.

I am just giving you a customer's perspective and I am really sorry it upset you so much. But if you don't really care what customer's think- maybe you shouldn't be a demo. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #159  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05
But if you don't really care what customer's think- maybe you shouldn't be a demo. JMHO.
Huh? She never said she didn't care what her customers think. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #160  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laderme
Consider the earlier posts about the cost of snail being $10 in Canada, and the fact that some customer's wouldn't spend $20 for a camp......If we added the snail as a take home, the cost of the camp would be $30 which would knock out more customers attending.

I do not know anyone who has used a whole thing of snail in a camp OR workshop!! (I go to a workshop about every 3-4 weeks....) But honestly- I would absolutely do a camp for $20!! I am a single Mom and I don't get to go out much so some time with other stampers making cards is great! (adult conversation with someone who isn't rolling their eyes at you.....Wow! What fun!!!) I would spend that much on dinner out so - why not go to a stamp camp instead and learn how to improve my skills in something I love to do!! I have only been to one stamp camp but I had a great time. We made awesome cards that I would have never thought I would be able to make- but I did!! I paid a fee and all my supplies were provided for me. I had a great time and learned a lot. It was definitely worth the $$.
Reply With Quote Likes