Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed

I have to say that I am so disappointed with SU. The Winter mini & Sell-a-brations are both such let downs. I am going to really struggle to spend my $50 minimum at Stampers 10 this month. I always spend over $100. My dh is going to think I am ill!

Here's hoping that Spring catalog is better.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree. I didn't even bother to try to get a SAB set. There was one in the mini that I like, but since i already have lots of flower sets, I am not going to get it. I'm also looking forward to spring mini!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

There were sets in the winter mini I liked, but not enough to buy because of their limited use. The SAB sets, though, totally BOMBED (and I don't mean in a good way), in my opinion. I think it's the worst SAB I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am with you on this...not too impressed either. I am trying to decide when to place my next order from the catalog...don't want to have sets that I will never use and my stamping space is limited.

I think part of the problem is that I really am disappointed that these sets along with mini catalog sets will never be seen again in a catalog. It will limit the number of ideas we will receive from others, because the sets will not be current for a long period of time. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I feel the same way. Last year I wanted all the SAB sets and this year I'm just not excited. I like the flower one but that's about it. And I didn't really like anything in the last two minis either. In fact, I've been somewhat concerned because I feel that ever since SU discontinued the separate scrapbooking catalog they're getting farther and farther away from scrapbooking. And plenty of scrapbookers I know feel the same way. They just aren't coming out with the sets I like to buy for scrapbooking. I was looking at the big catalog the other night and the majority of sample pages they show are flowery, girlie pages. I have two boys and many of their sets just don't work for my scrapbooks. I need more outdoorsy, playful sets, not more flowers!
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm. Well, I can honestly say that on more than one occasion, samples in the galleries here have changed my mind on whether or not I liked a particular set.

Sometimes, just seeing the black & white images doesn't do anything for me and I think, "ho hum" . . . and, then . . . . someone does something that knocks my socks off and helps me see the images in a whole new way! ;)

Now, does it always happen? No. Frankly, there are some images that just NEVER will appeal to me, no matter who does what with them.

But, in the off chance, you might wander over to the SAB galleries here and see if someone else's designs, don't spark ya'?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I must be easy to please. I loved most of the sets in the SAB. I have only been stamping a year though. I like some sets in the winter catalog as well. I love looking at peoples ideas and knowing I can get inspired that way. Guess I am easily persuaded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #8  
mg
Kookie Creator

Default Sell-a-bration

Last year I got them all! This year it went into my round file! Disappointed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Julie- check out the gallery! There's some good stuff in both minis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 07:47 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Definitely cruise the galleries....I can't imagine you'll still feel the same way!

As to the mini sets, SU hasn't said that all of the sets in these will be limited editions. They said that "some" of the sets will still make it into the big catalog, just not as many as before. The SAB and Hostess sets, however, ARE limited.

And last, rumor has it that scrappers should find some lovely surprises in the spring mini.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Seeing the examples in the gallery helps me see the potential of the stamp sets. While I'm lukewarm on the winter mini, I received five Sell-a-bration stamps this week, have mounted them all, have made cards with two of them and love all five!

It doesn't bother me if an occasional mini doesn't inspire me to buy a number of sets. I always make up for it with another. While I am lukewarm on this winter mini, I was awed by the holiday mini and made purchases two diffferent times, with a total of 4 stamps sets, a jumbo wheel, and the Tag Punch set. It would be too expensive if I felt that way about every mini.

I'm not a demo, just a satisfied customer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

oh my gosh - how could you not get the SAB tag set??? It rocked and I adore alphabet soup. (I'm not great with names but I think that's the right ones)

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I like a bunch of the SAB sets. I could live without the Send a Celebration one, but I always save a chunk of my stamping $$$ to buy stuff at this time of year. I'm gonna end up with them all.

I agree about the gallery. I thought Floral background was useless until I saw it used in the gallery. Now I'm a proud owner of the Floral background. That's what this site does to you.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #14  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I only want two sets in the winter mini (already got the tag punch kit) and 2-3 in the SAB catalog.

But like someone else said, that's okay, some minis I want EVERYTHING! LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2006, 10:53 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

You must admit that the SAB sets are each pretty different - I'm sure SU! is trying to appeal to every stamper out there - and there are a lot of them to appeal to. With only 6 sets, it is hard to please everyone. So with that limited choice, I am sure there are a lot of people out there that don't like any of the sets. Last year I got all but one, this year only 3. We'll see about the 4th one. HA! Although I use them so much during SAB that I tend not to use those sets after SAB is over. I need to change that!

I like a few sets in the mini catalog, and in a normal mini catty period, I only like a few of the sets in there. Which is good, because then I don't feel I have to spend more money on sets that I really don't NEED.

As far as Scrapbooking, I never thought they had a huge assortment of stuff for JUST scrapbooking. The SB catty pretty much was filled with sets that were in the regular catty. If you want more SB stuff, I would say get a CTMH catalog because they are geared more towards Scrapbooking than card making and they have some pretty cute paper & whoever wanted more boy stuff - they have 2 totally adorable boy sets that just came out. One is a train set and the other is a construction set. Bold stamps - LOVE THEM! I'm sure whatever is in the catalog is based on trend and what will sell. Flower sets sell like hotcakes, so that's probably why there are so many in there. Perhaps boy and masculine sets don't sell as well, that's why there aren't as many. I wish there were more boy sets too. Toy Box is a great set, along with the ball sets. You can use any set in a scrapbook for an accent or a background. Wheels are great for making background paper.

It is sad when the free stuff offered isn't something you like. Here's to hoping you like whats in the spring mini!

Vicki Nelson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 AM   #16  
mothermcbride

Last year, I disliked almost all of the SAB sets. This year, I like almost all of them. I always find a set of two that I like in the minis, especially after they start being shown here. I do find that I generally buy ones that aren't very versatile. Oh well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Ditto what Julie said -- cruise the SAB gallery! I got all the SAB sets, although I only really liked the tag set. I have to say that after I've played with them all, I really do like them!

Fyi, the tags are faboo if you stamp 'em with craft, then hit 'em with the clear embossing powder...

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I agree that many people have produced beautiful items with the sets I still think that they are disappointing. Like I said I have a $50.00 minimum and this will be the 1st time in 2 years that I will actaully not double it and may even have a problem even reaching it. I am glad to hear that the Spring mini is something to look fwd to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Actually, I have been cruising the gallery a lot lately. I'm really trying to like the SAB sets but I just don't. Even seeing the gallery just isn't convincing me. While I really do like the tag sets, I already have 3 tag punches and have been making my own tags for quite a while now.

As far as my scrapbooking complaints are concerned, I understand that SU places more emphasis on cardmaking and that they are going to push whatever makes them more money, and that's okay. I know CTMH does sell for scrapbooking more, but I just prefer SU products. I hope the rumors about the spring mini are true, I actually thought that last year's spring and summer minis had a lot of good sets for scrapbooking, and I'm kicking myself for not getting more of them, especially the summer mini. But I've made my wishes known on the thread about what we'd like to see more of, so I'm not going to start repeating myself. And sometimes it's a matter of timing, I hated Shapes and Shadows when last year's catty came out, but when it was on sale in March I bought it, and discovered it's a great set for scrapbooking. So perhaps the problem right now is that the SAB sets aren't useful for me right now, but maybe they will be later. (I'll be qualifying for 4 of them, so you can understand my frustration at not liking them very much!)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I wasn't thrilled with the SAB sets but found a few that I grew to like more (if not love). I did get Too Terrific Tags - I don't have the punch but figure it's easy enough to cut straight lines after I stamp. I also picked up Noteworthy - I find it actually makes nice accents on my SB pages - around titles & journaling. And I picked up Best Blossoms for cards - but I'm not convinced I'm good at using it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieber
Actually, I have been cruising the gallery a lot lately. I'm really trying to like the SAB sets but I just don't. Even seeing the gallery just isn't convincing me.
I totally agree! I have been looking through the gallery as well (which usually does it for me), but even that doesn't get me excited about these sets either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm always happy when there aren't as many things in a mini for me to buy. There are still loads of things in the IB&C that I want and these mini purchases slow down that process. As for the SAB sets, I'm not wild about all of them, but I definitely can find some images that I will use. Hey, for free, I'll take it!

Ren�e

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Its funny that JulieHRR is the one who posted about looking in the gallery; Julie, usually, YOUR creations are the ones that convince me I MUST have a particular stamp set! LOL!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 06:12 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It sounds like you'll be earning at least one SAB set anyway. Perhaps choose the one that you dislike the least, see if it grows on you once you have it. After SAB is over, you could always sell it (or trade it). Especially if anything in the spring mini strikes your fancy, then you've got a little extra spending money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

My first impression was yuck when I saw the sell-a-bration sets.

THEN - after seeing what was being made with them in the daily gallery. I've grown to like a number of them enough to get!

Like Pinkhedgehog, I also saw no reason to get the floral background - - but the gallery convinced me that I had to have it (again!). ;)

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Martin Luther King, 1963
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I think one of the things that SU does best is

come up with a product line with items to appeal to a broad range of people. There wasn't much in the Holiday Mini or the Summer Mini that really thrilled me but I went nuts over the sets in the Winter Mini and Sell-a-bration catalogs. They just hit my hot buttons. I am a scrapbooker who is just starting to make cards but I saw a lot of uses for the sets in the current catalogs. The moral of this story is: don't give up on SU, instead, save up the money you would normally budget each month for stamping because your time will come when they come out with a catalog in which you will want almost EVERYTHING in it! It just happened to me, it will happen to you too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I too, find myself disappointed in the SAB catty this year.. Last year's wasn't all that great either imho. I got all of last years sets, and have 2 I hardly use-- this year I only really like one of them. I always have a party right before my bday (which falls in SAB time -- lol) and this time I've scaled my order back to under 100 so I only get the one I like. I did like most of the mini catalog this time tho.. I'm only getting one of the sets- I need to stock my marker collection more than I need stamps.. rofl Besides, I share stamps with my 3 closest friends- thank goodness for the usps- one lives outta state.

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I wasn't only disappointed in the mini catalogs, I was a little disappointed with the big catalog as well. There are quite a few sets I would like to get, but only 2 or 3 that I felt like I had to have. Last year, I wanted every other set in the catty. Last year was actually my first year stamping as well, so experience, and knowing more of what I use and what has multiple uses makes a difference as well. When I look at a set and only see one real use for it, it's hard to get overly excited about it, and especially hard to pry my wallet open to purchase it! I know I really liked the spring sets last year, and have high hopes for this years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all companies struggle to make stamps that appeal to a wide ranging audience. When the fall supplement for TAC came out this year I was incredibly disappointed. I thought a lot of the sets were downright ugly. It's bound to happen with so many different styles of stampers to please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Hmmmm. Well, I can honestly say that on more than one occasion, samples in the galleries here have changed my mind on whether or not I liked a particular set.

Sometimes, just seeing the black & white images doesn't do anything for me and I think, "ho hum" . . . and, then . . . . someone does something that knocks my socks off and helps me see the images in a whole new way! ;)

Now, does it always happen? No. Frankly, there are some images that just NEVER will appeal to me, no matter who does what with them.

But, in the off chance, you might wander over to the SAB galleries here and see if someone else's designs, don't spark ya'?
I agree! Definately check out the gallery. I have done the same thing so many times, but after more looks I see the potential!! I love each of the SAB's. The one I was especially liking was Noteworthy but I checked out the gallery and here my friend had posted the bestest card eva'!! So I can't wait to try it out now!
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebra
I think all companies struggle to make stamps that appeal to a wide ranging audience. When the fall supplement for TAC came out this year I was incredibly disappointed. I thought a lot of the sets were downright ugly. It's bound to happen with so many different styles of stampers to please.

I too was disappointed when the fall Supplement came out this past fall. But it's hard to please everyone.
I hope that TAC comes out with some really pretty stamps this spring......
More Florals and Less Cute and Whismy.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up SAB stamp sets

I like some of the stamp set that SU has for SAB.

Best Blossom and Noteworthy are my favorite...The other two I really don't like.
But the gallery is full of great ideas for all the stamps for SAB.

Sometime we just have to "Think" outside the box!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

i didnt get anything out of the winter mini either and didnt like really any of the SABs until browing the gallery-that thing will be the death of my pocketbook! =)
but i did just sign up to be a demo so i will be getting all the SABs anyway! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last year I found a lot I liked, but this year even looking at all the great cards in the gallery, there's nothing in the SAB stamps or mini catalog that I want.

SU should come out with some NEW sets for men. I've got enough flowers and tag stamps in my collection to last a life time.

As someone who has been stamping for a while, I see sets that are just reworks of ones I already have. I would really love to see some fresh new stuff with sophisticated art work instead of cartoon like images. Think Equestrian Dreams, Antique Auto, Ships Ahoy that sort of art work. I would buy lots of sets if the artist who did those came out with more stamps like those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hmmmm.... I also must be easy to please. There are only two SAB sets that I'm not totally in love with, but I just had to have the rest. I'll take free rubbah anytime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I am new to SU and think that the Winter Mini is not big thrill but I must say that I like the SAB sets. I have notworthy ordered and do intend to get at least two more of them. There are so many beautiful cards in the gallery that it changed my mind on which ones that I did like best.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 04:35 AM   #37  
mothermcbride

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1
Last year I found a lot I liked, but this year even looking at all the great cards in the gallery, there's nothing in the SAB stamps or mini catalog that I want.

SU should come out with some NEW sets for men. I've got enough flowers and tag stamps in my collection to last a life time.

As someone who has been stamping for a while, I see sets that are just reworks of ones I already have. I would really love to see some fresh new stuff with sophisticated art work instead of cartoon like images. Think Equestrian Dreams, Antique Auto, Ships Ahoy that sort of art work. I would buy lots of sets if the artist who did those came out with more stamps like those.
Just curious, but do you ever contact them through their website and make those suggestions? My friend did, different suggestion but..., and they said they like to hear that kind of stuff.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Buckle up ladies - that spring mini is gonna knock your socks off!!! I saw a sneak peak of some of the products at SU's Leadership conference and I want everything they showed! I think it will particularly appeal to scrapbookers. There is 2 sided designer paper that is soooo hot! Awesome stamps, and a new to-die-for punch. You are gonna LOVE it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

Oh now, don't tell me that! I figured they would come out with some more punches!!!