Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you keep all of your stamp sets?

I see many sets for sale or trade, on here and let's just say "other places". I keep mine. Although I realize some are not quite my style anymore. I just figure I may like it again sometime. Also if I'm making cards for someone I can use a set that I think that person may like. Okay, I'm trying to justify why I keep them, but the truth is... I want them all. Even if you move on from your sets, are there any sets that you would never get rid of? What are they? I'd like to hear your opinion on this issue. Thanks.

Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

I have not gotten rid of any of my stamp sets either. I have thought about it several times because there are sets that I hardly ever use. However...there are a couple of sets that I will probably keep forever because I absolutely LOVE THEM!!! I love the "All Natural" set and also the set called "Autumn" that has the skeleton leaves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have kept all of my sets. I can't imagine giving away or selling any of them even if I don't use them that often. I have a couple of stamp sets I use all the time that are discontinued. I can't remember the names offhand, but they are both two step stamping flowers (one is a rose set).

I see no reason to justify why I want to keep them. They make me happy! That's good enough for me. ;)

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I've been stamping just over 2 1/2 years and have not parted with any of my sets. I have a lot of sets! I use the same excuses as the other girls on here and I may 'need' it again...ya just never know!

edited to add: I would never get rid of Star Santa, Terrific Tulips or Watercolor Garden II
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Im curious too.......I couldnt imagine getting rid of them. Maybe because Im new and have very few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to keep everything, but even before I signed on as a demo in August I did sell or trade a few that I really wasn't using anymore -- or never had. After becoming a demo, I took a long, hard look at my retired stamps and cleared out probably a dozen sets to make room for current things that I could show to customers. It was really difficult, but the money I got from selling them pretty much paid for my starter kit!

After stamping for about four years, I had accumulated somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty stamp sets and backgrounds and they no longer fit on my little two-shelf bookcase. I decided I needed to purge some things, because space is limited and I couldn't just store them elsewhere. I still have several retired sets that I just couldn't bring myself to let go of, though, and plan to keep them for making special occasion cards for friends and relatives.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Nope. I view it as recycling. I sell/trade sets when I don't use them anymore. If it's retired, I generally get rid of it unless it is near and dear to my heart. I try to keep myself between 50-80 sets. Any more than that and I get overwhelmed. I don't use them then anyway, so why not trade out. I get bored with a lot of the sets anyway. So I use them, then recycle them for something new!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I don't have many sets yet, but I don't think I could ever get rid of one. I'd hate to find myself thinking about mixing sets in a card and not being able to because I just got rid of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I've been stamping for 7 years now and I started getting rid of some sets about a year ago. Mostly I wanted more room for newer stamps, plus my style has changed and some sets were just not "me" anymore. I sold about 10 sets at a garage sale and the women that bought them were so excited to get them. I don't regret selling any of them at all - I hadn't used them in several years, so why keep them? Then it was great to have that money to buy NEW stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

I haven't gotten rid of any. But then again I only have 4 sets. Well until next week when my su starter kit comes. But I don't think I could because I only buy the stamps I really love. Bt then again who knows, maybe my style will change one day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Stamping for nearly 10 years and I still have every set I ever bought. They were my investment and I love them all. I'm not a demo so I really don't care if they're discontinued.
I always figure that I might want a set for scrapbooking or some other random thing. For example, my friend was doing a wedding shower for her daughter so she borrowed my DDHydrangea to make wine glass candle votives. They matched the Hydrangea theme of the wedding and were absolutely stunning!

BUYERS KEEPERS in my house (+120 sets)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I am a demo, so I tend to mostly keep only current sets that I can show to customers. But there are several sets that I don't think I'll ever sell. Some of them are Americana Collection, Courage & Honor, Scouts at Play, Girl Power, Campout & Roughing It. Anything patriotic or scouting related, as we are Army & our kids (& us) are heavily involved in scouting. These are sets that I truly love.

I like to have at least one new Christmas set each year. I don't want to make Christmas cards with the same sets year after year. Same goes for birthday cards, Easter cards, Valentine cards, etc. I normally offer the sets up to my customers first, then post them on SU or here.

Because we are in the Army, we tend to move every 3 years or so. This is the third place I've lived since I started stamping. When I signed up, we lived in a 2000 sq.ft. home where I had a stamp room. We moved to another state, where I was only lucky enough to have a kitchen large enough to fit a shelf unit in for my stamps. I had to stamp at the bar in the kitchen & keep the rest of my supplies in my pantry. Now I don't even have that in our 1000 sq.ft. military quarters. Half my kitchen is taken up with 2 cabinets that my hubby mounted a section of countertop in between. So I couldn't possibly keep every set I ever bought. I just don't have the space.

If someone wants my old sets that haven't seen daylight in ages, and the stamps will get used, then I'm all for selling them.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #13  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I have over 300 sets since 1998, and have yet to get rid of any. I'm just a hobby demo, so retired sets don't matter. And I took over the dining room and keep it neat.

But - I keep thinking there are a few I rarely used, and when I look at them, wonder what on earth I was thinking. So I'm trying to talk myself into letting a few go. But it's so HARD!!!!

I will probably first stamp them on paper and send that to my sister and see if she wants them, she doesn't have much extra money and I'd love to give them to her rather than sell them. But I'm still trying to get up the nerve to do that.

Remember Funky Favorites? Honestly, why did I ever get that set???? LOL It's cute but so not me!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

i'm so glad i'm not the only one who likes to keep everything!! :p there are sets that i've bought months ago but never had a chance to use them yet...but i'd never even thought about getting rid of any. i'm afraid that once they're gone i'll regret & try to get them back again! that's just how i am. But my absolute favorites are Watercolor Garden II, Sincere Salutations & In Full Bloom!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I keep all of my stamp sets organized in a spreadsheet. I enter the set name, the description, number of stamps, etc. I was just entering a couple of new sets last night and not counting my huge Penny Black hedgehog collection and my Michael's $1 stamps and a couple of Hero Arts sets.......I have 402 sets of SU stamps! Still, I'm a little afraid to get rid of some of them.

Like the previous poster about the hydrangeas, I just know they'll come in handy sometime. I have the space to store them, so that's not an issue. I have realized, though since I've been overseas for a couple of years with limited sets that there are some I will probably never use again. I've sold a few sets in the past, before our move and I've regretted some of those sales. One I sold was Button Button and now I'm kind of regretting it since buttons and eyelet washers are pretty hopping right now. I guess I have too much of my Dad in me. I just keep thinking I'll want it someday.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 01:28 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I keep it all - I can not image parting with any of my stamp sets

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 02:42 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have every set I ever bought (I stopped counting when it got over 100!), but there are a few that I probably wouldn't mind parting with. Some were "freebies' that just aren't my style, and some were my daughter's that neither of us use any longer.
I do like having a lot of sets, though, because it allows me more creative leeway to combine sets for different looks. Since storage space isn't a problem (yet!), I'll hang on to them for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have this though as well,but I would never get rid of my natural beauty or ageless adornment I doubt I would ever get tired of them anyways. I've been thinking to sale or trade some of mine that I don't really use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:03 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Thank for such great responses. I'm so happy to hear I'm not alone in keeping every set. I just know if I do sell some, I'd regret it someday.

Cathy O. I also have funky favorites! What was I thinking! Ick! You're right it is cute, but it screams Mary Engelbreit (sp?) I think that's her name. But guess what I just went to look at the set to confirm that it was the one I'm thinking about, (it is) and it has a really cute chicken/ rooster in it. I think I'll be using this set the next time I stamp. Well now, I'm seeing the benefits of keeping ALL my sets. I love it!

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:44 AM   #20  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I don't keep anything that I HAVEN'T used in a year or more... I figure that there is someone out there that would use it then I will sell or trade it to them. There is no sense letting the rubber sit there when someone can use it. Besides not sure if the rubber would hold up not being used.. would it dry and crack after some time?? I always condition my stamps by using the SU mist.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I've been with SU since 1994, was a demo, dropped to a hobby demo and finally just a stamper. I haven't parted with any of may stamps either SU's or other companies. I decided a long time ago that having access to a lot of different images works for me, if I haven't used a stamp in a while, it's okay. Either my daughter, a friend or I will need the image "one of these days".

The biggest reason I haven't sold off any of the stamps is because I loved them when I bought them, still do, and I have that syndrome that if I get rid of the image I will regret it because I'll need it some day.

I have started the process unmounting all my stamps and I'm loving this system. I'm halfway through this process and I've saved a lot of room, can easily find my images and it's no trouble to grab and stamp. It's an extra step to add the image to the mount, but not a hassle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 05:56 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi...my name is Alison....and I'm a packrat.

LOL! Even though I'm brand new to stamping and only have about 10 sets (and have discovered that is not NEARLY enough, so I have a few more in the mail to me! LOL), I just can't see myself parting with them. I do have two sets that I'm not thrilled with and have considered selling, but that's about it. Mainly, it will give me more money to buy more stamps. It's a vicious cycle! But, I love it.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have sold a few sets on ebay but it really isn't worth the hassle of answering questions because people can't read and to make several trips to the post office based on when people pay.

Typically I go through my stamps once and year and bag up the ones I don't want and wonder why I ever bought them and I give them to people I know that are new to stamping and money is tight. This last time I gave them all to one person and it was easily over $500 in stamps. They are happy and it makes room for new ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 07:20 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I have all my sets, and individual stamps. How generous to give them to new stampers. I volunteer at our local senior center, and have donated some things to them. I much prefer to lend them to people. Especially in the beginning, it was such a delight to get a new set, and I had to get them one at a time. I like them all, and sometimes just go through the older sets, and especially with the samples on SCS, I find new ideas.

If I do decide I don't have room for all, I will follow your example, and give them to new stampers. As a matter of fact, my collection of all my stamping stuff has grown. I should put it in my will what to do with it all. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts
Red face Getting Rid of Stamps and Clothes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
I don't keep anything that I HAVEN'T used in a year or more... I figure that there is someone out there that would use it then I will sell or trade it to them. There is no sense letting the rubber sit there when someone can use it. Besides not sure if the rubber would hold up not being used.. would it dry and crack after some time?? I always condition my stamps by using the SU mist.

I'm afraid this is the difference of those of us who are packrats, and those of us who are not. I'm not a demo, and have never gotten rid of any stamps.

However, I watch those organization shows on HGTV, and they tell us that if we have clothes we haven't worn in a year, we should get rid of them. We think we may lose weight, or they may come back in style, in the same way we may start liking a set again. You're probably right that if we haven't used it for a year, we should get rid of it.

I'm really working on getting rid of some clothes, but I only do a couple of things each time Goodwill calls. I just don't think I could ever get rid of my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:24 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I have about 235 sets, and I have only ever parted with one set that wasn't a duplicate so far. and I'm GLAD I did. it was buds and blossoms, I won it at regionals one year. I tried to like it I really did! I tried for almost 2 years! but I just couldn't like it. so I traded it for wonderful words which I LOVE! but I think that's the only set I've ever really parted with. I have this fear that if I get rid of something then I'll need it! in fact every time I think of putting a set up for sale or trade I end up needing it less than a week later! lol!

so I'm another one who doesn't get rid of stamps. though maybe one day I will. I really should go through them closer. there may be a set or 2 that I don't like anymore?? (but probabaly not, afterall I bought it because I liked it).

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I'm afraid this is the difference of those of us who are packrats, and those of us who are not. I'm not a demo, and have never gotten rid of any stamps.

However, I watch those organization shows on HGTV, and they tell us that if we have clothes we haven't worn in a year, we should get rid of them. We think we may lose weight, or they may come back in style, in the same way we may start liking a set again. You're probably right that if we haven't used it for a year, we should get rid of it.
Yes, precisely! That "someday" syndrome is absolutely deadly if you're trying to keep clutter at bay, and let's be honest with ourselves and admit that someday usually never comes. I'm slowly working to break out of my packrat tendencies. I just look at it this way -- if I let go of underloved stamp sets, it makes room for the new must-haves on my wish list! ;)

Deborah, if you don't want to make a bunch of trips to the post office, you can simply designate one or two days a week when you ship your auction items. Many sellers do this (some state their regular "shipping day" in their payment instructions), and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been stamping 11 years and also own every set (and stamp) I've ever bought (500+ sets and 1,000's of individual stamps) There is a fair amount of clutter I suppose; but I just cannot part with them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to keep all of my sets, but I am running out of room! I will sell/trade anything that I haven't used in awhile or that I have gotten bored with. There are a few that don't get much use that I will probably always keep though... like Polar Bears, Santa's Helpers, and the little Pansy set that retired a few years back.

It's weird. I'll want a set like crazy, but then I'll get it and change my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I had to force myself to quit keeping things I couldnt demo. I have kept a select few retired sets (the camping one, BBQ fun and a couple others) I have over 100 current sets, and I was definitely running out of space. I have a ton of retired sets that are in the yard sale pile now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2
Hi!
I've been with SU since 1994, was a demo, dropped to a hobby demo and finally just a stamper. I haven't parted with any of may stamps either SU's or other companies. I decided a long time ago that having access to a lot of different images works for me, if I haven't used a stamp in a while, it's okay. Either my daughter, a friend or I will need the image "one of these days".

The biggest reason I haven't sold off any of the stamps is because I loved them when I bought them, still do, and I have that syndrome that if I get rid of the image I will regret it because I'll need it some day.

I have started the process unmounting all my stamps and I'm loving this system. I'm halfway through this process and I've saved a lot of room, can easily find my images and it's no trouble to grab and stamp. It's an extra step to add the image to the mount, but not a hassle.

*would LOVE to know how many stamp sets you have?*

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 01:40 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 433 Likes on 165 Posts

Just put me alongside all of you other PACK RATS! I can't part with any of my sets either. I've been a demo about 4 years and I don't even want to count how many sets I have. I keep the current ones on a shelf, the retired in drawers. I have a color code system I use to identify sets quickly. Green dots are current sets, red dots are retired sets, yellow dots are sets that were in mini catalogs, and orange dots are limited sets (like the ones earned as a demo or the ones earned in the mini catalogs). I did recently take a box of sets to my mom's for her to keep for me and let her use if she'd like. I can always go get one if I need it, I just needed a little extra room for NEW stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I have to confess I'm terribly addicted to stamping and the stuff that goes with it. And I've also started buying dies for my Sizzix so I keep track of them too. I'm not counting all the other accessories, paints, embossing powders or such.

So, this is what I have

Total Images 6,393 (SU and other companies)

SU's Stamp Sets - 415
SU's Individual Stamps - 114
SU Wheels - 47

Dies - 70
Punches - 99

Just don't let DH see this message, LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2
Hi!
I have to confess I'm terribly addicted to stamping and the stuff that goes with it. And I've also started buying dies for my Sizzix so I keep track of them too. I'm not counting all the other accessories, paints, embossing powders or such.

So, this is what I have

Total Images 6,393 (SU and other companies)

SU's Stamp Sets - 415
SU's Individual Stamps - 114
SU Wheels - 47

Dies - 70
Punches - 99

Just don't let DH see this message, LOL!!!
WOW!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I wanted to keep all my stamps but then when it came to ordering new stuff from the catty I had to say goodbye to some of my old ones.... so sad.. :(

Mom to Chris (6) & Debbie ( !
Wife to fantastic hubby Don !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #36  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Why oh why did I have to read this thread???

Just last night I was separating out my retired sets from my current ones. I have been buying stamp sets steadily since 2000, but didn't become a demo until August. I can't really demo the retired stuff, so I was thinking about getting rid of some of them.

I have so many UNMOUNTED sets it is not even funny! I was debating on keeping them or selling them. A lot of them I got because they were cute, but I never even used them. But I LOVE them!

Then I had to read about all you wonderful ladies that have even more than I do and have kept them all! What's a stamper (or packrat) to do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Funny I find this thread today. I was thinking earlier that maybe it is time to clear out the sets I don't use anymore. But it is just so hard. I know there are some I received as incentives, and I have nver used them, and never will, but I just have not been able to get rid of them. But I looked at my wish list the other night, it was over $700.00, so maybe that will motivate me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

It is true that I like stamping and I do have a lot of images. But I was always careful to buy on sale or with commissions back when I was a demo. There were also gifts from DH or my Mom for birthdays and holidays. I would take advantage of grab bags, 40% off coupons, I even worked for a time at a stamp store and I took my pay in product (at cost, of course). I also took advantage of buy 1 get 1 free specials, there were great sales when the local stamp store went out of business or $1 unmounted dies at non SU stamp conventions. Or hosting workshops myself from time to time to earn incentives. I'd also take advantage of some of the sales that SU offered.
Over these past 11 years I have had several friends get out of stamping and they would "loan" me their stamps. In case they ever wanted to stamp again, well after a year or so they never came back for their stamps so they're mine. They joke that I'm their Smithstonian, their stamps are on loan, they can visit whenever they want, they just don't. LOL!!!
So I can honestly say I didn't buy everything I own out of the family budget. But I did come to the realization I was buying more than I was using as I went from active demo to hobby demo to my only customer and that wasn't smart financially. I was also feeling the overwhelmed from too much stuff and I didn't want to waste more money on stuff I wasn't using.
After much prayer and a lot of growing up and really seeing what I was doing I made some major changes. They weren't easy and it took over a year to get to this point.
I stopped being a demo in July when the new book came out and you'd be proud of me, I haven't purchased any new stamps from the new catalog. Finances won't allow for a purchase like that right now. Then I thought about selling off some of my older sets (several of them go for a lot on "that place"), so I'd have some money for new sets, but the truth is I would not sell any stamps that I currently own for something in the current catalog. I thought and prayed about it long and hard, plus many heartfelt conversations with DH and together we decided to just keep what I have. DH figures it's too much of a hassle and a waste of money already spent to sell off what I have for less than I paid for it, and besides he knows how important my hobby is to me. It's my "me" time and I wouldn't trade him either.
By taking on the task of unmounting I am able to keep the images that I do have and not have to worry about space. That's just proof that I "have enough" for now, I'll see when the new catalog comes out next year. LOL!!!
I am actually really enjoying stamping so much more. I stamp what I want, with what I have, and I'm not restricted to what's current. I still give ideas and help to my friends when they have stamping questions. I stay current through this site, magazines, Carol Duvall and other e-groups. I still love stamping I just don't have the pressure of "keeping up" anymore and that has been a great relief.
Okay, enough confessions from the truly addicted. Thanks for reading and understanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep all of mine. Unfortunately I am always looking for retired sets. I really need to stop doing that as I spent way over budget last month and am considering becoming a demo and I can't even use those kits. I think my favorite kit is fall whimsey this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

I trade or sell the ones that I am bored with, or didn't like as much as I thought I would. I have a couple retired ones that I like, but since I am a demo, I have to keep current to make $, so I will continue to trade or sell to get new and current items.
Reply With Quote Likes