Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just joined in Oct as purely a hobby demo. And found my upline here at SCS. She is a wonderful lady who answered so many of my questions when I was in your position of deciding to sign on. (PM me if you want her name)

As of right now, I can meet quarterly minimums myself. And if that should ever change, I'll just drop. There is no penalty to drop. And you can even sign up again later if you decide that you miss it too much.

However, just buy sitting at my son's soccer game with a SU catty in my lap, I got a customer LOL. Not a huge order by any means, but just a few "little" orders can add up to you minimum if you're not careful ;-)

If you can use and afford the starter kit, I say go for it. I use just about everything in the kit all the time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #42  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just have to add - in Canada, the quarterly minimum to be an SU demo is $450.00 .. according to my demo. I wonder why that is!! In Canada, most folks could not afford to be a hobby demo with those quarterly minimums!!

Last edited by debzi333; 12-01-2008 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #43  
Kookie Creator

I'm a demo, but not a Canadian demo so this is just a guess...

I believe the Canadian quarterly minimums are higher because their catalog prices are also higher. The value of the US dollar vs the Canadian dollar and the exchange rate causes the Canadian catalog prices to change periodically and generally run a bit higher than the catalog prices in the States.

If you factor in the 20% income/discount, the $450 Canadian minimum is really $360 merchandise total (pre-tax/shipping) per quarter.

Everyone's situation is different. Some people wouldn't think twice of spending $100/month on crafting supplies. Some of us spend $100 a year because that's what our budget is. Being a hobby demo is still accessible to most people, especially if you have even just 1-2 friends that would order occasionally through you to help with the minimums. No need to do the workshops or classes, but just collect a couple of outside orders when you're placing your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Let us know if you signed up!

Suerkm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

I am a hobby demo transitioning to business demo. Whether you take outside orders, do classes, workshops or buy it all yourself, it doesn't make a difference how you meet your quarterly minimums and that to me is the best part. You need to decide for yourself what you want out of it.

There are many wonderful resources for demos of all types here in the SCS demo forums and on the Stampin' Up! website. Ask questions, decide what you want, and then go for what is the best decision for you.

I actually found my upline from SCS. Sure she is clear across the country from me, but it works great for me! I am rather independent and she is there as a resource as I need. It is an opportunity as big or as small as you want it to be.

If you sign up now you get to take advantage of the preview pre-order for the spring/summer catalog items and then sale-a-bration. There are incentives to order at different times.

My suggestion, write out your questions, make your list of pros & cons, and then make your decision.

Good luck with your journey and let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

If you can meet your minimums, I would say go for it. I joined almost two years ago and do like it a lot. I have only done a handful of workshops but have two clubs that meet every other month so I have something going on every month to offset my minimums. Then there are classes too that help pay for my addiction! I have one downline and she's not local. We communicate via email and she is in my one club. It seems to work well for us. My upline is local and she's great. We get together every once in a while and brainstorm ideas and projects for classes, share stamp sets, etc. I agree with the other information I read here and go with what you are comfortable with. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
Just have to add - in Canada, the quarterly minimum to be an SU demo is $450.00 .. according to my demo. I wonder why that is!! In Canada, most folks could not afford to be a hobby demo with those quarterly minimums!!
I think in addition to the exchange rate (which is a moot point right now, since they are equal or Canadian is slightly higher) I read somewhere that the shipping to Canada is higher due to some sort of import tax or something like that....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to do stamp camps and workshops to help meet my minimums and built my downline to 5. My lovely upline started doing workshops for my best customers and pretty soon they were her customers so basically she ruined my business. Now I sell to anyone at my discount who wants it to stay active.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I used to do stamp camps and workshops to help meet my minimums and built my downline to 5. My lovely upline started doing workshops for my best customers and pretty soon they were her customers so basically she ruined my business. Now I sell to anyone at my discount who wants it to stay active.
I am sorry to hear that. I have a friend who used to be a demo and her upline did the same thing! I wonder if it was the same evil demo?? That is just unfortunate people act like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #50  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to share my personal story.

I bought the SU starter kit in April 2005 just because it was such a cool deal. I had no intentions of doing it as a business. I honestly never expected to make it past the first quarter as we were a one-income family and I could only afford about $20 a month for crafts. There just were zero drawbacks to signing up--there honestly was no "catch." So I did it.
Fast forward to today--I became completely, hopelessly addicted. I LOVE teaching people how to stamp. The ones who claim they're not creative are the best--watching them discover their crafty inner self is priceless. I am thrilled to be the upline to 12 wonderful downline members, all of whom just fell into my lap (I don't push recruiting). I regularly sell $2-3K a month and last year I earned a free trip to Hawaii for myself and my husband.
Four years ago, you could never have told me in a million years I would be a home-sales lady. I would have laughed in your face. Now I have an income and I still get to stay at home with my special needs baby. I get paid to do something I would cheerfully do 24/7 for free! I have met over 200 fantastically fun stamping friends, not to mention my cyber friends here. I am totally fulfilled creatively, and I get to use the very best products available on the market today, all for free.
It sounds too good to be true, but it isn't. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Default I say no

After being a demo for 9 years, leaving for two and returning a second time I say no dont do it. When I returned I was thinking it would be just as easy to find the customers to keep me going just so I could stay active and do it as a hobby. I quickly found it difficult to do,almost impossible. So many of my cutomers liked the clear stamps now. Sure anyone can spend $150.00 a month but who wants to do that? what happens to getting disount? not really a disount when you have to buy that much to get a hostess set, $15.00 and yes your $20.00 comission.

In July I left as a SU demonstrator and continued as an Uppercase Living consultant. After one year, I have a large downline and have now become a director. I can purchase my stamps at a reall discount and never have to worry about spending more than I really want to. The SU website keeps you posted on all the specials anyway and it is truly more fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
I am not sure if anyone else brought this up but one thing you want to think about is if you will have guilt, or trouble buying other products from other companies if you are an SU demo. I found that I was finding so many other things I wanted from other companies that I just didn't want to spend any more money with SU for I had a lot and it all started getting repetative to me. I really felt like I couldn't spend extra elsewhere for I had to make sure I got my minimum in with SU first. I also couldn't use those things in workshops or camps either. I finally dropped SU and actually have not regretted it. I am having a lot more fun with the endless options elsewhere.

That being said, they are a great company and I think they treat their demo's extremely well. At $300 a quarter, it became an issue with me to spend that much if none of my friends ordered. After many years, I needed my freedom! No regrets though for it helped me build my collection quickly!
My experience is similar to yours. I love SU but got tired of not having any money to spend with other companies and the new SU sets looked too much like the old ones to me. I have no regrets about not being a SU demo anymore either. It was a positive experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

I've been mulling over joining SU! too and am signing up on 1 Feb (for SAB free stuff)!

My question is about shipping and taxes... are these based upon the retail (catty) prices or your discount prices?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Taxes are on your catalog prices, and depending on your state, your shipping charges might actually be taxed also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subbing as I'm interested to know also but I'm in Canada. When is the next good time to sign up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

I've also toyed with the idea of becoming a hobby demo. I already sell successfully for another direct sales company, so I have no interest in doing SU parties and workshops. I decided the regular 20-percent discount just wasn't worth the hassle ... I also have many of the items from the demo kit.

When it comes to stamping, I prefer to keep my business life and personal life separate. I do admire all the great demos out there that are able to run a great business and still be so passionate for stamping! I think I'd just be tired and grumpy

Honestly, I probably save more money not becoming a hobby demo. Like I ::need:: a reason to spend $300 with SU every four months!

I'd suggest seeing if a few friends might be interested in sharing the discount with you, then your quota wouldn't all fall on you and you still wouldn't have to do parties or workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

This is a beautiful story. I love when the non-pushy ladies make it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
I haven't read all the replies, but wanted to share my personal story.

I bought the SU starter kit in April 2005 just because it was such a cool deal. I had no intentions of doing it as a business. I honestly never expected to make it past the first quarter as we were a one-income family and I could only afford about $20 a month for crafts. There just were zero drawbacks to signing up--there honestly was no "catch." So I did it.
Fast forward to today--I became completely, hopelessly addicted. I LOVE teaching people how to stamp. The ones who claim they're not creative are the best--watching them discover their crafty inner self is priceless. I am thrilled to be the upline to 12 wonderful downline members, all of whom just fell into my lap (I don't push recruiting). I regularly sell $2-3K a month and last year I earned a free trip to Hawaii for myself and my husband.
Four years ago, you could never have told me in a million years I would be a home-sales lady. I would have laughed in your face. Now I have an income and I still get to stay at home with my special needs baby. I get paid to do something I would cheerfully do 24/7 for free! I have met over 200 fantastically fun stamping friends, not to mention my cyber friends here. I am totally fulfilled creatively, and I get to use the very best products available on the market today, all for free.
It sounds too good to be true, but it isn't. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by suerkmView Post
Let us know if you signed up!

Suerkm
I can't believe how generous all of you were with your contributions! Thank you again for all the information.

I have decided that, for the moment anyway, I can't afford to be a hobby demonstrator and I don't have time to do parties, make n' takes, etc. I still LOVE the products though and if something changes, I'll certainly be signing up.

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Hi, thinking about becoming a demigoddess (i.e. demonstrator) and the only thing I haven't really heard about is that regardless if your a hobby or business demigoddess you still have to do yearly taxes and how that effects your income. Has anyone had experience with how you handle that extra income that actually isnt really income if your a hobby demo?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxontoyView Post
Hi, thinking about becoming a demigoddess (i.e. demonstrator) and the only thing I haven't really heard about is that regardless if your a hobby or business demigoddess you still have to do yearly taxes and how that effects your income. Has anyone had experience with how you handle that extra income that actually isnt really income if your a hobby demo?

Thanks
I just did that part of our taxes and it was easy peasy with turbo tax. There is a spot for "income from a hobby" and I put in all my volume rebates and such. Then there is space for hobby expenses (it says not to exceed hobby income) so I put the in the cost of the cattys and business forms from my starter kit. Made it $5 less than my income and thus had a net "hobby income" of $5. Made no difference in our taxes.

I guess I could have also added in the cost of a few punches and stamp sets that I "demo'd" to a few friends who then placed orders. But it seemed easier to just have a slight "income" and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks
I am going to be using Turbo Tax too! 2008 is my first year being a demo so I am probably going to have to claim a loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a quick ? If you do become a hobby demo and dont make it in the 1st quarter so you drop it, can you in the future say a year later become active again, would you have to start fresh and get a new demo kit etc or can you use the same one, well besides getting updated papers and embellies and such.
I am thinking of doing it but not sure if I can reach the minimum. My friends and I all have the same demo so I wouldnt get orders thru them. Thanks Stef
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefTXView Post
Just a quick ? If you do become a hobby demo and dont make it in the 1st quarter so you drop it, can you in the future say a year later become active again, would you have to start fresh and get a new demo kit etc or can you use the same one, well besides getting updated papers and embellies and such.
I am thinking of doing it but not sure if I can reach the minimum. My friends and I all have the same demo so I wouldnt get orders thru them. Thanks Stef
You can sign up and then drop and sign up again. Each time you have to purchase the starter kit again though.

I think you have to wait 6 months from the time you get dropped only if you are resigning up under a different demo than the first time, but I am not 100% about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #64  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
You can sign up and then drop and sign up again. Each time you have to purchase the starter kit again though.

I think you have to wait 6 months from the time you get dropped only if you are resigning up under a different demo than the first time, but I am not 100% about that.

Yes, the only way to sign up under a different demo in the 6 month window is if your original upline has dropped. If it's the same demo you can drop and then re-sign. You would lose any career to date sales, any downline, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

just wanted to add that in Canada, the quarter requirement is now $400 and with the Canadian dollar being worth 80cents USD, it is not that much difference. Shipping is 10% or $9.95 whichever is higher (pretty sure that is the same as US) and we have a 5% GST tax on everything, plus each province has their own sales takes of another 4-8% or so (luckily I live in Alberta so we only have to pay the 5% plus shipping).

With all that I thought about the demo thing tons, yes I could probably keep it going myself, but I am waiting till this October then maybe I will do it. Best month to join because you get a grace period first quarter, then SAB is next quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

I was a SU! demo for seven years. It's a great company. Go ahead and sign up, but just know that you won't be saving much money. Remember that shipping is 10%, and unless you are selling a lot, you won't be getting a big discount, 20% TOPS. So figure you'll be saving about 10% MAX on your purchases, and you will have to spend $600 a year. I think lots of people go in thinking they are going to save lots of money. NOT!!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I was a SU! demo for seven years. It's a great company. Go ahead and sign up, but just know that you won't be saving much money. Remember that shipping is 10%, and unless you are selling a lot, you won't be getting a big discount, 20% TOPS. So figure you'll be saving about 10% MAX on your purchases, and you will have to spend $600 a year. I think lots of people go in thinking they are going to save lots of money. NOT!!!
If the quota is $300 a quarter wouldn't that be $1200 a year...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

If the quota is $300 a quarter wouldn't that be $1200 a year...
Yes. And that is precisely why I am an English teacher and not a math teacher!;)
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

It is 1200 a year but you actually only pay 80% of that. The other 20% is your discount as a demo that you keep. Then there are other volume rebates you will get as your sales increase and you recruit. But you will always receive the 20% off no matter what you sell. Hope that helps to clarify things up.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope this isn't too "personal" a question, but for those of you who are hobby demos only, is there any problem with how the year end tax forms are handled? Is a 1099 issued for the 20%?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffercatView Post
I hope this isn't too "personal" a question, but for those of you who are hobby demos only, is there any problem with how the year end tax forms are handled? Is a 1099 issued for the 20%?
I used turbo tax. I put in "income from a hobby" as my volume rebates, and 2 customer orders that I had. I put in as expenses, the cost of catalogues and forms that I had bought and what I paid SU for my customer orders. Since I give my customers my discount, and my cattys and forms were more than my volume rebates, it was a total wash for me. But the proper forms were filed.

SU doesn't give 1099s for less than $600 in income and mine was WAY less. I just used the numbers off my reports that you can access from the Demo side of the website.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #72  
Kookie Creator

I am completely blown away by the sheer volume of information and helpful replies from everyone here at SCS.

I found this thread interesting for lots of reasons--one, obviously, because I am considering becoming a hobby demo myself--and my main question was about the taxes end of it. I'm sure I'll never sell enough to do more than break even, coz I won't even TRY to sell.

But I was actually searching for info on CTMH when I found this thread. So I find it especialy interesting that one lady decided on being a CTMH demo and to just continue buying from her SU demo. That may be a good choice for me....

Anyway--thanks everyone. I'm still learning lots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just one more point that I don't think anyone cleared up---the 20% extra off of preorders is NOT guaranteed at all anymore, I don't even know if it will extend to the next catalog. It was promoted as a special deal for the 20 yr. anniversary... since it started before the August catalog (which I believe is usually in July), I am not sure we will get it this summer. Just didn't want you to count on that extra preorder special...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to stampit74

can a demo buy any of the hostess sets at any time?
thx!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #75  

Demos have been able to buy one level 2 & 3 set as a preorder before the catalog starts. Otherwise we can earn them as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #76  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thinking About Becoming a SU Demonstrator

I've been reading different threads on the positives and potential negatives about becoming a SU demonstrator. I'm really excited about the possibility of being a demonstrator, but I'm wondering about start-up costs with respect to catalogues, etc. especially if you plan on meeting your quarterly quotas with parties in order to remain active. Are there initial start-up costs associated with becoming a demonstrator (other than purchasing the start-up kit)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #77  

You receive a box (8 ) of catalogs with your kit, plus order forms, etc. If you purchase the regular kit you receive everything you need to hold workshops and take orders.

If you choose the mini kit (beginning July 15) you receive all of the same business supplies, but just a few selected stamping supplies. This option is more for people signing up for the discount or if they already have a lot of supplies on hand to add to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

Default Question about monthly or quarterly stamp camps

If a SU demonstrator (I just am signing up) holds a stamp camp at their home and charges say $20 to make 20 cards or whatever, and no one at the party orders anything, but she has 10 people attending the party, how does she make her minimums? Does she use that money to make her minimums even if they didn't order anything, but they paid to make cards?

Thanks. There's so much to learn about what you can do. When everyone says they have "classes", what exactly does that mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #79  

Yes, you would use that money to order the supplies you need for the class. Usually you have people pay enough in advance so you know how many people to plan for, plus have the money ahead of time to buy the supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Default shipping to another state

I have another question. I have a friend who stamps and retired to another state. Could she order from me and would SU send the stamps directly to her? Or do I have to ship them from here to her?
Thanks for all the really helpful information. The demos I know have been really marketing becoming a demo - but no one had yet mentioned the minimums. Lots to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes