Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Will do a free sm. incentive stamp wrapped in a little cello bag tied w/cute ribbon (1 for every $25 spent) just small CUTE things just to let guests know their purchase is appreciated.)

This is such a productive, proactive and postive thread! I keep coming back, though, to this line on the first page. What I'm familiar with, there is no charge for a workshop, hostesses receive two free catalogs (the current one and, at hostess appreciation in July, the next catalog), and the hostess that referred her receives a free stamp pad. There are two make-n-takes (usually cards with envelopes), and with a door prize, and business supplies (fliers, minis, order forms, etc.) the cost for an average party is (hopefully) no more than 10% of the sales total. The cost of putting together a cute little incentive stamp (with cello bag and ribbon) is about .85. A $300 party (with 12 $25 orders) would net, after expenses, about $20 (for 8-12 hours including prep, working with the hostess, the workshop itself, etc.). This so does not sound like a business to me! Maybe my math is flawed, and maybe I'm overthinking it.

[/quote]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

I appreciate everyone's input, I just signed up and this thread has some really great ideas.
Laura
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Default demo advice

I love my demo, she is very creative and great about sharing all the new ideas she gets from her conventions etc. The one suggestion I would make is to write instructions (measurements, etc.) for the projects that you demo that can be taken home. I am a visual person and 'get it' when she shows me something. But once I get home and want to make another card or whatever we have done, I need to go back and read the directions again (and again and again) I frequently take classes at a local stamp store and LOVE that they have everything written out. I keep all of the instructions along with my 'sample' in a binder and refer to it often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I have to say I think I have the GREATEST demo. She is probably blushing if she is reading this because she is more the quiet type. She is very informative and helpful. I love that she lets us decide what we want to learn at a show. She is very generous of her time and products. One of my favorite "perks" is basically at no cost to her. Her regular customers can "borrow" her stamps! (And she can borrow ours as well :lol: ) She also has a basket at her shows of small goodie bags. Sometimes incentive stamps, a sample of eyelets, pearl-ex, ribbon, glossy (cut) cardstock, etc... Everyone gets their names in a drawing. The number drawn depends on the number of guests. Sometimes the items are items that she has made that we love to get for ideas or to use ourselves. My demo also uses a punch card system. For every $120 spent we get $10 off our "next" purchase. Cards expire in 1 year. We also get a little extra hostess gift in the month of our birthday if we host a party. My demo is very helpful and still works a full-time job. Couldn't be happier. Now to call her with my March order!

Tonya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HisPrincess915
Thanks for your input, Kathy O! I was under the impression that the QQs were much higher than $100. You're right - meeting that amount will probably not be very difficult!

kim
The SU! quarterly quota is $300, which ends up being $100/month, if you choose to break it down that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

I was reading your response, rubadubdub, and I have always had questions on this one also. (I am not a demo) I guess that's why I've always felt like I've had to have sales of atleast $700 or I feel guilty that the party probably isn't worth the time, effort or money that my sweet demo puts into it. She really goes ALL OUT! (I think "I" have the best Demo!! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the suggestions, it always helps to get someone's opinion on what we can do differently to help our business!

"Would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with
your legs hanging free" -Dave Matthews Band
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by srogers5
Oh great...another thread that'll end up in demo bashing.

I understand your point, but not everyone feels the way you do. I never give a discount because SU gives plenty of incentives for an already great product. I work HARD to design workshops that impress my customers. I work harder than my commission dictates, that's for sure. My customers are loyal to me (and have stated that they choose me over several other demos because they like my workshops best) because I work hard and deliver...not discounts but service and creativity.

Our commssion is not such that we can afford to do a lot of specials. Those demos that do probably aren't making much in the end. For instance, some demos do something like "Buy 4 packs of single-color CS and get a 5th for free." Do you know how much is made off that "sale"? That one sale eats up the instant income on every package of CS sold. The only amount a demo would make would be the "override" commission, which ranges based on sales. For an "average" demo, this is probably 7 or 8%...to make more than that a demo needs to sell over $3000 a month. Demos that are trying to add to their family income simply can't afford that. By the way, the cost of supplies to do the workshop has to come out of this amount as well, as does the cost of mailings, websites, etc.

I'm hoping that my response just gives you a bit of an idea where a demo is coming from when she doesn't offer sales or discounts. Our company offers them (which is what happens at Michael's, by the way) and so we shouldn't have to. I want my customers to be loyal based on my presentation, not on how much I'm willing to let them keep in their pockets.
I haven't read this whole thread but I am sure that the idea wasn't to bash Demo's. I am considering being a demo someday and thought this would be a good thread to read to find some good ideas to grow my business if I decide to try it. The occassional discount may be a nice reward for repeat customers or somthing small free, maybe some glue sticks, I don't know obviously one would have to consider the cost.

You said you are a good Demo and use your workshops to wow and impress your customers. I think this is also a good way to build customer basis. I know I appreciate my Demo's workshops and Stamp Camps that she does. So no Demo bashing here, your thoughts on your quality of workshops is actually an answer to the posed question I think.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

I am still not done reading this thread but Stampin' Spots as basket giveway is a great idea. If you split them up one pad is like 1.80, that doesn't sound like too much for a give away especially if the people are spending.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 03:45 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Can I just say quickly that making the quarterly minimums is almost nothing for a busy hobby stamper? That's just $100 a month, girls. I can't see anyone having to do big sales to their customers just to make that, unless they don't want to buy ANYTHING for themselves.

I think the only demos that can afford big giveaways are ones who have been doing it for awhile, have downlines, etc.
I spend no where near $100 a month which is one of the reasons I joined TAC. No one that I know that buys SU spends that much a month on a consistant basis so for any of us to join as a Hobby Demo we'd either need to have small group of customers or sell at the discount.

I think "big" in terms of giveaways is a matter of opinion. Giving 20% off one item can be a big deal to someone and a little deal to someone else.

One thing my original Demo did was have a stamp camp (and she still does this) at her house and there is no charge. She usually has a make and take and her supplies are open to everyone to use. You bring your own projects to work on which I really like
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 04:08 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I realize selling SU is a business, but I've dealt with a few demos. One would throw a few orders my workshop way to bump me if she could. A nice little incentive for having a party is nice (hostess gift). If I refer some new customers or orders her way, a nice little payback every once in a while would be nice (free shipping or something) I've given out more of my demo's cards to ladies I've met in the craft stores who might be interested in coming to a camp or having a workshop. But letting us know you appreciate us helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 04:43 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

My demo sometimes does the doorprize drawing and sometimes doesn't. It is usually a pick from her basket of a wrapped incentive stamp. precut scrapbook paper, sponge and inkpot, once there was a discontinued punch. Usually the hostess gets one, the drawn winner gets one and any bookings depending on the size of the party. We didn't have a drawing at my party which was a very small and regular group but there was homemade chocolate cake *see a VERY familiar group!*

Her best incentive is to offer her house as party central. She doesn't have to travel or tote supplies and hostesses don't have to clean house or interrupt their families. We like being away from home to get that relaxing stamping time.

One thing kind of unrelated . Nearly twenty years ago I sold a different party plan and my upline won a trip to Hawaii (due to OUR superior sales!) I am STILL waiting for my postcard saying thanks for sending me to Hawaii and helping to make my dream come true! She would hold sales meetings and I had to carry around a date book with a picture of my goal prize on it so "customers would ask and be invested in helping you" but she never followed through when we helped her readh her goal.

So back on track. At my party two guests were running late so we started their cards.. One finally appeared and three hours later one called to apologize for not making it at all. By now the demo has a full set of cards for her to pass along when the guests hundred dollar order is delivered!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 05:10 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

I will expound on my DEMOS - yep that's right Demos....My main demo had 2 good friends sign up under her to be demos - so now I have 3 to choose from...I just did a catalog show for one of new ones and I will probably have a show or at least a catalog show for the other new one after the new catalog comes out...

My "main" demo is awesome (Hi Patty)....she has an open stamping night at her house the first Friday of every month....no charge to attend....she has a little sheet so if you need to use something of hers - a sheet of paper, some EP, some ribbon there is a small charge to cover the cost of that particular item. She also has extra sets from her make and takes from Parties that she has packaged up so if you are sort of new or don't stamp alot (just want to get away from the kiddies for a night) you can buy the kits from her for $1 and stamp up some cards....I go most months and there are always a variety if people there from newbies to veterns - every few months she does 2 sessions - one in the afternoon and then the evening one. She will usually show off a technique or two.

And catalogs - I have never paid for one as my demo has always given me one for free - because I was a hostess...but seriously selling them at cost would probably be beneficial - I know you wouldn't be making $$ off of them but having a reduced price you might get a few extra people to buy one and let me tell you once you have one and have time to really sit down and go over it - chances are that person is going to buy more and more stuff than if they never had the catalog.

Another thing my demo has done in the past is give me little things here and there as a thank you - I have brought her many customers and it is nice to be thanked...last year she gave me my choice of a Sell-A-Bration set and this year I helped her with a class and in leiu of splitting the class fee I asked for product (because if she gave the money I would have just handed it back to her with an order form) and she threw in the Paint Prints Sell-a-bration set too with my stuff...she is simply awesome...

I just had a catalog party using one of her downline as my demo for it and she threw in a few outside orders she had recieved to bump my party up past $350 so I could get more free stuff...

It's nice to have 3 good friends be demos - chances are if I need to borrow a stamp set one of them has it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:00 AM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost forgot - I love when my demo emails me when I can expect my big brown truck to come

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm halfway around the world from my Demo (only lived near her for a few months when she got me addicted) but she does some great things. Here are a few:
She cuts stamps for 1st time customers. Since my very first Demo didn't bother to explain that I even needed to cut them this meant a LOT to me. It also served as an example how they should be cut (squared off corners, no angled cuts, etc).
She had a techniques class that was $5.00 or free if you spent $30. I would spend the $30 everytime!
When I gave her my husband's e-mail addy and asked her to e-mail him telling him what I wanted for Valentine's day, she did and I got what I wanted!!!
She gives free catalogs to hostesses. I will spend $150 just so I don't have to pay for the catalog!
She e-mails me the specials, links to see the specials, etc. If I see a technique on her site that I don't understand she explains it to me until I understand and she makes even more money off of me this way.
I don't think she has ever offered a special like "buy 4 packs of paper, get one free" but her customer service more than makes up for it.
What could she do? MAYBE she could send me some cards demonstrating new techniques, embellishments, etc. That would probably get more sales for her, but She's a great demo and I wouldn't trade her. On average I order enough for her to make her minimums 3 times a year so she's not a bad demo.

www.rachelhamilton.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes