Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool do u stamp on vacation?

I always want to bring my stamps, but never do! Do any of you bring your stuff? If so how do you decide what to bring?

I am finsihing my vacation this Friday, and really am eager to get home and stamp!

Don't get me wrong, I have had a wonderful time, who could pass up the beach daily??? However the sun doesn't always shine here!!

Just thought I'd find out what most of you do!

Thanks!
Tammy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

sometimes. Since we now live away from all our family and friends alot of the time I incorporate a stamping day with my friend while using some vacation time. I also hit up stamp stores wherever we go on vacation. My family always laughs at me because I search for the stamp stores as soon as we decide where we're going. If I have to be dragged to an amusement park they can spend an hour at a stamp store, or usually sitting in the car in the parking lot. Though the one in Branson has a nice big front porch where my son can sit in a rocker and play his game boy!

Toni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends-if I'm driving I fit some in, especially when I visit family or go to GS camp.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I've dragged my stamping and scrapbooking supplies with me on two separate vacations and in both cases I never touched anything! Next time I'll opt to leave them at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

For the past 3 years I have made my Christmas cards (all 100) on vacation in August. I have to plan out the cards in advance and bring all the appropriate supplies. I usually bring some other cards to work on too. We go to a lake house for a week and I usually stamp in the mornings while everybody is just lazing about and waiting for it to warm up and go boating.

We go again this year on the 19th and I will be bringing my stuff again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I usually bring some stuff with me on vacation (and do work on it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KreativeKristyView Post
For the past 3 years I have made my Christmas cards (all 100) on vacation in August. I have to plan out the cards in advance and bring all the appropriate supplies. I usually bring some other cards to work on too. We go to a lake house for a week and I usually stamp in the mornings while everybody is just lazing about and waiting for it to warm up and go boating.

What a cool idea!!

This year before our vacation I just stamoed a bunch of images in black on white cardstock to color in. I brought a bunch of markers and just colored them whenever I got a chance, in the car, in the hotel, on the beach, it worked great!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I like to bring stamped images, too. Once I bought a whole bunch (I had really stamped way too much!) and took them to a Family Camp that some 40to 50 people also attended. It turned out that adults and kids alike all wanted to color in some of my images, too! I got out kids' markers for the kids and let the adults share my markers, it was the hit of camp and now I am required to bring them every time! I find it the easiest projecct to bring on vacation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamdawn64View Post
Do any of you bring your stuff? If so how do you decide what to bring?
Do I? Every chance I get! It's like taking a book with you. I've even purchase a small stamping bag to pack a small but "intensive" project to take with me.

One benefit - Stampin' starts a lot of conversations in airports. LOL
My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd find it too frustrating. No matter how much I brought with me there would always be something else I needed in order to complete a card. I like having all my stuff around me when I stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I think I'd find it too frustrating. No matter how much I brought with me there would always be something else I needed in order to complete a card. I like having all my stuff around me when I stamp!
I agree with Happy Heart - I would find it too frustrating. So, no, I dont take my stamping supplies with me on vacation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do no tmy stamping stuff on vaction anymore-I did that once and never used it-there are to many other things to do. But i do take my stuff when we go up to the cabin for weekends. I basically can get alot of projects done with minimal interruptions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #13  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 629 Likes on 441 Posts

It depends where I am going. If I have a lot of downtime, I will bring a few things to work on. It is great to bring swap cards I am working on. Then I can just bring everything for one project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Uh no, I wouldn't be able to fit everything in my suitcase! I'm one of those people who never crops away from home because when I go somewhere, I bring it ALL! And it's quite annoying to people around me so I just don't go at all, lol! I'm going home next month to visit my family and I usually can scrap with my mom, she's getting started and has a stash I can dig into;)
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I did stamping on our vacation about 6 weeks ago. I think I made a card most days - we were just visiting family and spent a lot of time hanging around the house. But I was a brand-new stamper and now my cards are more involved, so I'm not sure what I will do next time. I would probably try to plan in advance what I wanted to do and only bring stuff for those projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I don't think I could do start-to-finish projects on vacation. I like to have my stuff all gathered around me as well. I'm on vacation this week, and I did bring swaps to finish with me. I had all of the stamping and cutting finished before I left home, though. All I did here was gluing and ribbon tying.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

We live in Canada for half the year and FL for the other half. So, of course, I bring my supplies with me. I use two large totes ~ one has smaller totes that fit inside it, which is where my stamping supplies go (my stamps are UM), along with my ScrapRack, and the other tote holds my Cricut supplies.

I have duplicates of a few things, and leave one in each place, but for the most part I pack everything up twice a year. DH says it's a good thing we have a van!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I have brought things for a specific planned out project. Once I sat by the pool and cut out and mounted stamps while kids swam in the pool. Also, I always bring stamping magazines to gather ideas.
Isaiah 40:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I did. When we went to Cancun in March I brought a stack of scored cards, a full set of the Michael's $1 stamps, the Wild About You SU set, a couple of blocks, my black Palette pad and a set of markers. It was a vacation for me, but my DH was in meetings for a few hours just about every day. So to fill some of the time while he was in his meetings, I stamped. I'm glad I brought it with me. I didn't necessarily have to have it, but I bet if I didn't bring them I would have wanted them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do!

There are some things my DH and kids like to do that I don't particularly care to do, so I stamp while they do those things. One summer, we went up north. I was getting over a ear infection, so I couldn't really do much swimming, so while they went to the pool, I stamped.

And when we go visit my in-laws, I almost always take something to do or I'd go crazy!

This is what works for me and keeps me from taking too many supplies:

1. Choose a color combination or two that you want to play with. Only take the full sized ink pads for those combinations or take your spots, plus a black and a white pad. Only pack those colors of cardstock with a couple of neutrals like Whisper White or Confetti White.

2. Decide on two or three sets of stamps you want to work with plus a good general greeting set and only take those.

3. Decide which embellishments you want to take. I usually take brads, because I use them a lot and I take ribbons that will match my color combination(s). I remind myself that if I don't bring something that would end up being the perfect embellishment for a card I make on vacation, that I can always add it after I get home.

4. Take a basic stamping kit: scrub and mist, scissors, crafter's tool kit, etc.

I find I can have a lot of fun by limiting what I take; I am less distracted by other possibilities since I have limited myself to just a few colors and stamp sets. I always enjoy stamping on vacation! And when I've gone to convention, this works beautifully, though I limited myself even more on stamp sets since we get some free at convention.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamdawn64View Post
I always want to bring my stamps, but never do! Do any of you bring your stuff? If so how do you decide what to bring?

I am finsihing my vacation this Friday, and really am eager to get home and stamp!

Don't get me wrong, I have had a wonderful time, who could pass up the beach daily??? However the sun doesn't always shine here!!

Just thought I'd find out what most of you do!

Thanks!
Tammy

Tammy,

Yes when dh and I go on vacation. I always take my stamping supplies with me.

We do a lot of camping vacations, I also bring Postage Stamps and Address book with Birthday information with us.
This way I can make cards and send them out on time!

Sometimes at night I don't care of sit outside when it's super hot, So sit inside in the cool AC camper and stamp.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I spend a lot of wkends and 3 wk holidays at our trailer during the summer so have a small tote and a few shoulder bags that I pack stuff into. I have a small plastic bin with all the basics that I leave packed for the summer that includes the essentials like scissors, ruler, pencil, adhesives, etc. One of the bags I pack an assortment of cardstock and DP that is ready to go whenever I need it. If I want to work on a project or layout then I put the paper and embellies into a 12x12 baggie and that goes into my other shoulder bag. I can have my stuff ready to go in about 10 minutes so I've really gotten the packing down to a science now.

I like to scrap late at night when hubby is watching tv and falling asleep on the couch so I sit at the kitchen table in our trailer and scrap til midnight or so. During the day I do outdoor activities, visit our friends and shop so really enjoy the peace and quiet of late night scrapping out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I definately do! I always camp on my vacations so it's real easy to bring. I have my niece, nephews and friends who also enjoy making cards when days get slow. I pack some stamp sets, idea sheets, word sets, ink spots, cs and some embellishments. One time we used wwc, another time we did faux postage and last time I brought background stamps. I usually bring 3-4 sheets of each color of SU cs (my good stuff) along with my folder of scraps. But for the kids, I bring my non-SU cs in various colors. We all have fun together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, I do. But, we go camping for our vacation and I like to be prepared for a rainy day! I usually have my XXL packed with some clear stamps, my Cat's eye inkpads and then usually a stack of patterned paper and cardstock. I don't take much for embellishments along, but I usually just make card fronts, so I can always add them when I get home before putting them on the actual cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jan,

I ended up printing your guidelines out for future use. I'm always stuck as to what to pack in my little mini tote and now, thanks to you, I've got direction!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
I do!

There are some things my DH and kids like to do that I don't particularly care to do, so I stamp while they do those things. One summer, we went up north. I was getting over a ear infection, so I couldn't really do much swimming, so while they went to the pool, I stamped.

And when we go visit my in-laws, I almost always take something to do or I'd go crazy!

This is what works for me and keeps me from taking too many supplies:

1. Choose a color combination or two that you want to play with. Only take the full sized ink pads for those combinations or take your spots, plus a black and a white pad. Only pack those colors of cardstock with a couple of neutrals like Whisper White or Confetti White.

2. Decide on two or three sets of stamps you want to work with plus a good general greeting set and only take those.

3. Decide which embellishments you want to take. I usually take brads, because I use them a lot and I take ribbons that will match my color combination(s). I remind myself that if I don't bring something that would end up being the perfect embellishment for a card I make on vacation, that I can always add it after I get home.

4. Take a basic stamping kit: scrub and mist, scissors, crafter's tool kit, etc.

I find I can have a lot of fun by limiting what I take; I am less distracted by other possibilities since I have limited myself to just a few colors and stamp sets. I always enjoy stamping on vacation! And when I've gone to convention, this works beautifully, though I limited myself even more on stamp sets since we get some free at convention.
My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

For anyone who camps and scraps/stamps, I know of a yahoo group you can join! If you're interested PM me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

i always bring a stamping project with me. have i ever used them? no.

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KreativeKristyView Post

I kinda do the same. I bring no actual rubber with me. I stamp all images before I leave. This really cuts down on what I have to bring with me. I have to carefull think through my project (this vacation I did Tinkerbella cards) and decide what I'll need to bring and be certain I'm not going to run out of adhesive or whatever-be sure to check and bring enough supplies!

I worked on a picnic table outside and had a surprise when I got home; one of my cards had a dead bug in it! YUK!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

I used to take the stamp, paper and all that but unless you ignore everyone, I found that I rarely touched the stuff.

BUT!!!!

I found that while driving in the car, I have tons of time to color. The coloring of an image is what takes a lot of time so I pre-stamp a ton of images to color in with my prismacolor pencils using the gamsol and stumps. I took a lap board and mounted heavy duty velcro on three spots on the top. One spot is for the dauber bottle that hold my gamsol. The middle spot is for the little juice size cup that holds my stumps. The last spot is for a plastic grape juice 'can' that holds the pencils for the current image. I carry all my pencils with me in a zippered leather case that I got from Dick Blick. You have to invert the dauber bottle to charge up the sponge with the gamsol so I take a ziplock sandwish bag and to it inside the bag. No mess, no fuss. My DH says that I never see the scenery but I sure end up with a ton of colored images to turn into cards.

I also can color whenever it is a slow time once we have gotten to our vacation spot. Some people take books.....I color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I don't stamp on vacation, but it's my time to stock up on just about every stamping/scrapbook magazine for that month from Barnes & Noble before I leave, bring the new SU catalog and check out the latest trends and page through other people's projects for inspiration while I'm away. Then when I come back I'm fresh with tons of ideas and ready to make my own cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is so goofy but when ever we go on even a day trip I have so have some sort of stamping stuff with me. I get anxious if I dont...boy do I have a problem. I may never use it or get it out but I have to know that I have some of my stuff with me.....strange or what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #32  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

That would mean I'd have to take a vacation ;) I think I'm one that would not bring my stuff with. Half he time when I'm stamping, I start out with one card in mind and wind up with soemthing completly different!! I'd never be able to bring enough stuff with me. I think this is the same reason I don't like to go to crops - I always forget something at home!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

When I go on vacation it's usually to Montana to visit my BFF and the trunk is generally half filled with Stampin' stuff...since we have to stamp together when we get the opportunity and since I have lots of stamp sets that she doesn't...I must take things for her to play with of mine...which means there's usually an excess of things that don't get used but I hate to be limited on what my options are...next time though I will plan better so that I leave enough room for our family items LOL...I always manage to leave just barely enough room for family things...LOL...I'm definately going to have to plan my projects better...means less packing before the trip and less reorganization when we return. Thanks for the tips...I'm certainly going to have to reconsider my need to have "stuff" when traveling. LOL

Stephanie Vittorio

Stuff I've Stamped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Last year we took a cruise in early December and I still had to finish my Christmas cards so I cut the card stock before the vacation and took just the supplies I needed to finish the cards (two colors of ink, three colors of CS, 1 stamp set + adhesive). I managed to get the cards plus envelopes stamped while my family was lounging by the pool (I have fair skin so I don't lay out a lot). I think I will do the same thing this year -- it's a nice way to fill in some down time. The only thing to remember is to design a project ahead of time so all the cutting is done at home and not to make it too elaborate so you don't need to take your entire craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

I also wanted to say that I use mostly unmounted stamps and store them a CD case. Which fit's a lot better in my Stamping Case that I take with me.

I can fit up to 12 stamp set's, Clam Shell cases with ribbons, Embellishement, Die cuts, Plastic Envelopes for placing Cut cardstock and Scrapbook papers.

I have 2 larger Clam shell case that I carry my ink spots, and a couple of full size ink pads.

Plus I can store my Acrylic Blocks that I will need inside those Clam shell cases.

Zip Lock baggies for other small items, or tools

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
This is so goofy but when ever we go on even a day trip I have so have some sort of stamping stuff with me. I get anxious if I dont...boy do I have a problem. I may never use it or get it out but I have to know that I have some of my stuff with me.....strange or what?

LOL! this is known as SEPARATION ANXIETY. ;-)
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Default I take stuff.

I have an L.L. Bean "adventure duffel" that is *perfect* for taking along my stamping supplies. (I *LOVE* my little duffel because it doesn't allow me to overpack supplies, it makes me think ahead about what I'd like to do, and it keeps everything together nicely.) I just throw in images that I stamped at home before our trip - all in little plastic baggies. Then I throw in whichever Copic markers, glitter pens, and Souffle pens I'd like to use. If I'm really good, I get *all* of my elements prepared before I leave and even throw in some Mini Glue Dots to start assembling. When I'm bored or done or there is campsite work to be done, everything goes back into its baggie and all of the baggies go back in to my little duffel. ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Vacation?? What's that? :rolleyes:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
Vacation?? What's that? :rolleyes:

It's where you go to have fun, and sleep late, eat when you want. ;) ;)

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
I did. When we went to Cancun in March I brought a stack of scored cards, a full set of the Michael's $1 stamps, the Wild About You SU set, a couple of blocks, my black Palette pad and a set of markers. It was a vacation for me, but my DH was in meetings for a few hours just about every day. So to fill some of the time while he was in his meetings, I stamped. I'm glad I brought it with me. I didn't necessarily have to have it, but I bet if I didn't bring them I would have wanted them.

DH will be in Las Vegas meetings next Feb. and I wanted to go with this time. So I'm planning on spending some of my alone daytime stamping while he's at the conference. I told him we need a nice big suite so I have lots of room!

Of course I'm looking up all the cool LV stamp stores so I can go on an excursion if I get brave enough... well the prospect of new stamping goodies will help me get going if I start chickening out!
Reply With Quote Likes