Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband's hobby is trying different (and expensive) beers. I told him at least I have something to show for the money I spend on stamps. As someone else said, his just goes down the toilet! Of course, he came back with, well people just throw your cards away! But he really doesn't mind and it keeps me very happy. Guilty - never!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

That's right - cheaper than therapy!! I used to feel guilty, esp. when I placed BIG orders for myself I couldn't demonstrate. But I got over it - I truly love ALL my stamps and supplies, and use them whenever I can. The creativity that comes from stamping and scrapping are the best therapy that I have ever had - no regrets!!
Gretchen in SC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, after reading everybodies posts, I realized I'm booked on a one way guilt trip. I always feel guilty about the $ I spend on stamps. Always. I joined a stamp club last year that was $15 a month and my hub would give me dirty looks for a couple of days after I placed my order because it was always like, $17 or $18 because of tax and ship. So that ended and I didn't stamp for 3 month and then joined another club, the demo is just down the street, and it's $25 a month. He had a cow!
So I put a bunch of my stuff on ebay and placed an ad here to try and earn enough to get through till the end of the club in May.
I do have 6 kids, I'm a SAHM, I've never had a job, I don't drive and my hub has 2 jobs. We have a 1000 sq. ft. house, and no "toys" I don't even have a dishwasher. A lot of people I know through church are always giving us clothes so I rarely have to buy any but I do spend $ on makeup once a year, that's really the only thing besides stamps that I spend $ on.
I was so happy I won a Petal Prints on ebay 2 nights ago and told my hub that it could be my Valentines Day Gift, (it was $30, but I have wanted it so bad) he was so pissy it took the wind right out of my sails.
But...I guess I'd be mad if I was the one working all the time to make $ and someone else was spending it on stuff just for them.
What a sob story! TMI I guess, sorry gals. I always enjoy reading everybodies posts, especially since I'm home all the time. Keep the interesting ideas and questions going!!

Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

P.S. There is one thing I feel a little guilty about - sometimes when I'm stamping I look up and see dust on the furniture, and I think, I should dust and do some cleaning. But then I look back down at the card I'm making and the thought goes right out of my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

No guilt here! Every payday my husband and I take equal shares of "allowance" if you will, and we can do whatever we like with it. I don't use money out of the family budget and neither does he. Plus, then we can't gripe to each other about our purchases.

Although, my husband does have some expensive hobbie too, come to think of it, and I'm sure his allowance doesn't cover all of it. Hey, I think I'm getting robbed here! I better go place another order! tee hee :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 AM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default stamps

I used to feel sorta guilty, but then I noticed my DH was almost taking the credit single handly for my cards! As if he made them, so I figure what I spend is ok. He once commented about the amount of stamps I had, and said I must have at least $1000.00 worth of stuff, so I quickly agreed and that was that! Today I bought a new pair of shoes(which I did really need) and now I feel guilty that I didn't spend the money on stamps!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Amen, Tammy!! Guilty about the money--whatever Guilty about the housework and lack of cooked meals--now that's my biggy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

I have a tendency toward guilt. Luckily DH does not contribute to that. I signed up as a demo so I would not ever place that guilt on myself as I'm a SAHM too. Mind you, he never said word one about the $$ I spent before that point, mostly because I self-policed it, he trusts my judgement, etc. We agree on a few things..I have stamping, scrapping. He has golf and hunting. Mostly golf. His semi-serious interest in hunting and a guilty moment got us a second dog, which I absolutely love but..., we could have done without.
I think money is the root of all evil in a marriage and we have always had a very lighthearted but smart attitude toward it.
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I do have 6 kids, I'm a SAHM, I've never had a job
Girl, trust me. YOU HAVE A JOB! A WHOPPING HARD ONE! You deserve anything and everything you get for yourself. I work part-time and I'm an SU demo, but I'm mostly home with just my TWO kids and I think it is incredibly hard work. I know a lot of other ladies here will second me on that. I want you to look in the mirror and say "Man, I am the bomb! I totally deserve something for ME!"

My husband is great about this stuff...as he says, "Good Lord, what would I do if you weren't here?" Once he said that, I thought, "you're right; you'd be up a creek!" :lol: He loves that I've become a demo, though...my first two workshops paid for me buying the rest of my wishlist. Even if I don't make any extra profit, that's a big help for the ol' budget.

And to add to the others above who mentioned their husbands' hobbies...mine doesn't often spend $$ on himself, but he just got a new iMac G5 with all the bells and whistles. That right there is about the equal of my WHOLE stamp collection!

So I used to feel guilty, but now? Heck no!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shel9999
I used to feel somewhat guilty until I became a demo. Now it supports itself. Besides, my dh spends M-A-N-Y $$$ on Lionel trains! I deserve an obsession too...and it IS an obsession!
That sounds exactly like my house! -- My husband says the trains are for our boys! Uh huh!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Default spending the dough

yes I do feel guilty since I have spent so much ,But I have slowed down a lot.Haven't bought anything since Oct of last year.

I don't work so It comes from the checking account if I do.I certainly have enough to make some really nice cards.Although I am getting very low on my SU cardstock and really need to stock up again.I also seen some nice techniques in the gallery and want to try making some of them So yah I do need to pick up some more items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

I only feel guilty if my DH sees the invoice slip when I get an order! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

I feel guilty, more so because of all the stamping/scrapping supplies I've bought and NEVER USED-it's hard to pass up a sale But I have to say, of all the "stuff" I have, I use the SU stuff the most. I really do love buying stamps in "sets" that go together-so easy to make great cards that way! Unfortunately my DH doesn't spend much $$ on anything so that's what makes me feel guilty at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Short answer: No...never have.

Longer answer: Before July of 2003, I had never even heard of 'stamping your own cards'. My mom made me go to this stamping party and it was so funny because I had told all the guys at work that I was being forced to go and even had my phone set up to ring at 7:30 that night so I could say I had to leave. I got there and 6 people had shown up. Well halfway through the party 4 of us had signed up to be Demno's and I have never looked back. There have been many times where my stamping obsession/business has indirectly 'saved my life' with all the great people I have met (mainly on here) through stamping...that is priceless, so now...I don't ever feel guilty about buying more stuff..It makes me feel great and it also helps the UPS guy keep his job!

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

no. no guilt whatsoever.

I feel guilty when I eat a whole package of Dove chocolate hearts, but never with stamping or craft related expenditures. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

GUILT? WHAT'S THAT??
I am a demo so I spend what I get on commisions and that works out great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Girls, I see checks for hundreds of dollars a month to pay for a hunting cabin and property. That doesn't include the ammo, gear, guns, etc. that he HAS to have just to make owning the property worthwhile. The way I see it... I'm behind! I've got a lot of stamp spending to catch up! :lol:

Just kidding... I'm not a shopper and I clip coupons, hold down a part-time job and I'm a full-time SAHM. So, if my habit costs me $20/week, thank goodness that's all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Especially after my party this mth - will I ever use all my new stamps?? Makes you think about the sets you haven't used it... But I'm not bankrupting us & it keeps me rejuvinated & excited about something I really enjoy - so no I don't feel guilty.

- Kelly A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #59  
Glitter Guru

I feel guilty at first, but I get over it....besides I have stay current for my customers.

Mindy
WPAFB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

I too have the temporary buyers remorse. I've only placed one order this year so far. (pretty good for me) Then last night I had a $300+ stamp camp. Plus I "needed" to buy the ink refills. So I bought all 4 sets. After it was all said and done I ended up spening $80 out of pocket. Or 80 something. When I hit $420 I said, "oh I just need 30 more to get another SAB set and $5 more hostess dollars." Then when i got to 450 I said "Man, I don't have ANY of the level 3 hostess sets. I should go ahead and get one so that I can demo it". By the end I had a $501.75 order that I turned in. I still had money in my account from last month so it worked out that I only spent 80 over and above my profit.

My husband bought a $10,000 motorcycle last year. Until I catch up to that... I won't feel guilty. I think I spent something like $2000 last year. Only $8000 more to go....better start making my wish list!!! LOL

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would feel guilty if the money was coming from bills or such that needed to be paid. My DH realizes I am not one who spends a lot on shoes, clothes, purses or any other girly thing. In fact I measure everything in stamps. Before I get my hair cut or highlighted I think how many stamps could that buy.

Just last week we were getting new cell phones. DH opted to add web coverage at $5 a month. I said did you realize that is $60 a year, that is 3 sets of stamps you could buy me!

He knows stamping makes me happy and I am in a good mood when I am happy so he goes along with it. Plus he has A LOT of toys that are much more expensive, even my room full of rubber and paper!
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #62  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do a lot of trading to get rid of sets I do not want, so things are fresh. I don;t feel guilty b/c I feel it is something I enjoy and it is constructive.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

[/quote]My husband bought a $10,000 motorcycle last year. Until I catch up to that... I won't feel guilty. I think I spent something like $2000 last year. Only $8000 more to go....better start making my wish list!!! LOL
Quote:

I love it!! I feel the same way. My husband is a computer junkie. This benefits me, but it means new computer upgrades AT LEAST every two years, and a $50 dollar game every couple of months, and a $16 dollar a month bill for his on line game, and that is just the base costs. There are hidden ones too, like routers, and new video cards, and lalalalalala.

Seriously, are your kids starving. Have you paid your mortgage/rent? Have you fulfilled your promises to yourself, like saving for the new car or whatever?

No guilt. None.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownee
Short answer: No...never have.

. I got there and 6 people had shown up. Well halfway through the party 4 of us had signed up to be Demno's and I have never looked back. There have been many times where my stamping obsession/business has indirectly 'saved my life' with all the great people I have met (mainly on here) through stamping...that is priceless, so now...I don't ever feel guilty about buying more stuff..It makes me feel great and it also helps the UPS guy keep his job!
Knowing your upline, that doesn't surprise me! Tell Erin hi for me!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #65  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
My DH's hobbies include vintage autos and vintage race cars. He encourages me to buy whatever I want. There's no way my stamp $$ will ever catch up to his car money!!
Tee hee. Just before Christmas, to make sure I got the kind of gift I really wanted, I took my husband to our local stamp store and walked round, saying loudly, "that's nice"... "hmmm... that's REALLY nice" etc. Then I discreetly melted away . As we left the shop, he muttered: "You have an expensive hobby..." and then stopped himself short as realisation dawned that HIS hobby is restoring classic cars!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

I NEVER feel guilty!!! I love this stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

KMCOLBY, thanks for these words:

"I'm not bankrupting us & it keeps me rejuvinated & excited about something I really enjoy"

You summed it up so aptly, I think I am going to print that sentence out & post it in my stampin' nook. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Of course I always feel a bit guilty but that doesn't usually stop me. If it were just my SU purchases it probably wouldn't be sooo bad. Once you add up all of the additional scrapping/stamping items you get at Michael's, Joann's, Ben Franklin, the local specialty stamp stores, the magazine subsriptions, blah blah blah I figure it only costs me about 45 dollars per card :lol:

I always sort of tiptoe around the house when my husband is reconciling the checkbook and getting a good look at the credit charges. I'm always waiting for a big reaction, but usually he is just shaking his head and mumbling something to himself. And when this happens I say to myself this month I'll cut back a bit.

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #69  
Mad Swapper

I forgot this funny

My hubby came home to find me opening the party I had (on my own!) to get the SAB sets. He sees all the stamps, bless his heart didn't say anything.

The next night he comes home with a bag from Gander Mountain (a hunting/fishing store) and says guess now we're even. I'm thinking great just how much did he spend... a whopping $40.00 I quickly said I guess we are!!!! Little does he know how much that "party" was!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I feel guilty... especially right now... which is why I checked out this thread. I have to go borrow money from my son for groceries!!! BAD me!!! I can rationalize it, though. As Deb said on page one, I do make these as gifts for others, not myself. Really. I am so bad at not making myself things, that when one of my kids' birthdays come up, I have to scramble and make something for them!!! I am going to go change my sig line now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

OK OK LOL, you are all making me feel alot better! My hubby likes beer too and that does go literally down the drain so my stamp sets that stay around forever are worth it.

:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxma
OK OK LOL, you are all making me feel alot better! My hubby likes beer too and that does go literally down the drain so my stamp sets that stay around forever are worth it.

:lol:
Not only that but if a situation did come up you could always recoup some of the money by selling the stamps. The beer $ is gone forever
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #73  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Guilty?!? All the time!

I am a demo and I feel guilty all the time! But this is my one hobby that I spend my money on. I don't spend money on clothes, shopping in general, etc! I LOVE the stuff and I do use it! I just try to remind myself that I am entitled to some enjoyment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss
When I really feel guilty though is when I get something & don't use it.
I agree! I HATE letting a stamp set sit around when I was so excited about it, I had to buy it.

I don't feel bad, however, about spending money on myself for stamping because I know how therapeutic it is! It's a work de-stresser and empty nest syndrome reliever. It also gives me something to do when my husband goes downhill skiing on weekends.

The only thing that confuses me is that if my spouse spends money on his hobbies, that just means I have less to spend on mine...I can't do the "You spent so I can spend" thing or we'd be broke... :?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #75  
Compulsive Stamper

Gosh, I guess we all have a concious... that's a good thing. I spend SO much on SU!, but being a demo has made a BIG difference. I love what I do and as I tell my DH, If I'm gonna have a hobby, it might as well be one that others can cherish when we are gone (scrappin)!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

No, I never feel guilty. Maybe because this is my business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #77  
Inking Addict

Default Feel Guilty

Yes, I do. That's why in the checkbook I put Food Lion (grocery store) in the subject line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: Guilty?!? All the time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon7575
I am a demo and I feel guilty all the time! But this is my one hobby that I spend my money on. I don't spend money on clothes, shopping in general, etc! I LOVE the stuff and I do use it! I just try to remind myself that I am entitled to some enjoyment!
My situation exactly. I feel guilty all the time about EVERYTHING! I sometimes wonder, though, if I over-compensate because I feel so deprived all the time. My hubby works 10-12 hours a day during the week and doesn't attend church with me. I feel like a single mom a lot of the time, and so, to fill the time I don't get to see my hubby, I got a hobby. I spend LOT$, but I've always made enough as a demo to cover my costs plus chip into the family budget. I love stamping so much that I'll never quit being a demo and I'll never quit buying them. I LOVE to stamp, and my customers love me so that erases some of the guilt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone mentioned how much cheaper this is than therapy (and I am only 1/2 kidding LOL)? I work hard in a very stressful job and this is my relaxation. My husbands hobbies are not cheap so I feel some play in my life is called for!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

It's my therapy and definately cheaper than a shrink twice a week or more :lol: Plus, it's a business too for the tax stuff :P

Never feel quilty, if it's for your well being.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes