Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever get embarrassed....

I know, I've started two threads in one day. What is wrong with me???

This past weekend at church I had a husband of a friend come up to me and say how cool my blog was. I was speechless. I was so embarrassed that "he" was reading my blog. Is that so weird of me to feel this way? Later the same day my DH came home from church and told me how another man commented on my blog to him and how he thought it was fun. His wife also reads my blog. I just don't imagine couples reading stamping blogs together unless they also stamp & scrap. I do have guy friends who enjoy this hobby but those, including my DH, usually stay far away from this subject.

I don't have a problem with being in front of people or sharing my talent. I certainly didn't have any problem working with the Executive Team of Stampin' Up! when I was on the Advisory Board and half of those are men. I'm just embarrassed about it. Is that so weird??? Anyone feel the same way??

I just have to add that I love my friends on here that are men that blog & stamp.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I think it's just that you're used to thinking of your audience in one way and perhaps you're thinking of your writing as focused towards women, so you might say things that you would not say in a mixed audience, KWIM? And then, when a guy tells you that he's reading the blog, it kind of feels like they're overhearing a conversation that wasn't intended for their ears. SO it's natural to feel a little embarassed.

But now that you know that men are reading your blog (which, by the way, I think is totally awesome and very complimentary to you -- I wish I had guys reading mine!) you'll change your view of the audience and I bet in the future you won't be embarassed at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I can relate! When I found out some friends from church -- male and female -- were reading my blog (they'd gotten the link from my website, not from me directly) I was embarrassed as well. My first thought was "Oh, I hope I haven't said anything incriminating!" LOL But the response has all been positive, and it's a nice feeling when one of them comments to me in person about something they liked on my blog. The more the merrier, I guess, but it definitely makes me be careful about the things I blurt out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I think it probably just caught you off guard more than anything. I think more and more men have an appreciation for stamping/scrapping & blogs tend to show the amount of work, effort & thought that goes into a project. My DBF is just fascinated with stamping stuff. He even wants me to help him make holiday cards this year. Now he's a typical 'man's man' but has a big appreciation for crafty stuff. My Dad is the same way w/all my Mom's crafts too.

Just enjoy your fans Robyn, no matter what gender! :mrgreen:

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I think it's just that you're used to thinking of your audience in one way and perhaps you're thinking of your writing as focused towards women, so you might say things that you would not say in a mixed audience, KWIM? And then, when a guy tells you that he's reading the blog, it kind of feels like they're overhearing a conversation that wasn't intended for their ears. SO it's natural to feel a little embarassed.

But now that you know that men are reading your blog (which, by the way, I think is totally awesome and very complimentary to you -- I wish I had guys reading mine!) you'll change your view of the audience and I bet in the future you won't be embarassed at all!
Your totally right! I feel like I am talking to my girlfriends on my blog and that the boys will think I am dumb. Must come from my issues in highschool with boys.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamboView Post
I can relate! When I found out some friends from church -- male and female -- were reading my blog (they'd gotten the link from my website, not from me directly) I was embarrassed as well. My first thought was "Oh, I hope I haven't said anything incriminating!" LOL But the response has all been positive, and it's a nice feeling when one of them comments to me in person about something they liked on my blog. The more the merrier, I guess, but it definitely makes me be careful about the things I blurt out!
Yep! That ran through my mind. I even read my blog from their point of view and, believe it or not, deleted some posts.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

My husband's grandmother reads my blog and Lord knows who else, so I try to keep it for EVERYONE'S eyes...lol And with a mouth as big as mine...it's hard to do!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
My husband's grandmother reads my blog and Lord knows who else, so I try to keep it for EVERYONE'S eyes...lol And with a mouth as big as mine...it's hard to do!!!!
LOL! I cannot imagine my grandmother reading my blog. She thinks papercrafts are for young girls like me and my little sister. Little does she know that we are all ages!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

A really nicely written blog is wonderful reading material for everyone. You have a great blog and you are probably somewhat famous in your area (I know you are here). Try to not let it change your writing style or content because it is great the way it is!!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona

Last edited by wynona; 10-23-2007 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynonaView Post
A really nicely written blog is wonderful reading material for everyone. You have a great blog and you are probably somewhat famous in your area (I know you are here). Try to not let it change your writing style or content because it is great the way it is!!
I am SO not famous here and I don't think I really am anywhere.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean.... I just found out my Husbands co-workers read my blog! He was sort of embarrassed when one of his co-workers was like, "tell your wife I hope she's feeling better soon!"

Ever since I heard this I find myself censoring my words more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramazeView Post
I know what you mean.... I just found out my Husbands co-workers read my blog! He was sort of embarrassed when one of his co-workers was like, "tell your wife I hope she's feeling better soon!"

Ever since I heard this I find myself censoring my words more.
That's exactly how I feel!! One of the men told my DH that I have "some stamping room". My DH didn't even know I put a video on my blog of my craft room. Of course it is now deleted because I sound like a big geek on it!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I have people I know reading my blog, relatives and friends. So I often have to catch myself when I'm just blabbing away on a post. I read and re-read it. And still think to myself, "Did I say something that maybe I shouldn't have?"

But in the end, I realize that I love to share and blogging has been such a wonderful outlet for me.

Oh there was one kind of scary thing that happened once.

I got this email from a guy. Now I'm with you, I can't imagine most of the guys I know liking my blog. I don't usually open emails from strangers, but since it had no attachments and it was about my artwork I took a chance (This one time!) And he was saying about how he loved my blog and how we had a lot of things in common and how he wanted to have someone to chat with.....Oh YEA!!!! BIG RED Flags went up!!!! LOL

I never wrote back (obviously) and luckily, he never did either...big sigh of relief. (I was a bit freaked out, but decided that I loved blogging too much to let one creepy email stop me.);)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by aselahopView Post

I never wrote back (obviously) and luckily, he never did either...big sigh of relief. (I was a bit freaked out, but decided that I loved blogging too much to let one creepy email stop me.);)
Scary!!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by aselahopView Post
I totally understand where you are coming from.

I have people I know reading my blog, relatives and friends. So I often have to catch myself when I'm just blabbing away on a post. I read and re-read it. And still think to myself, "Did I say something that maybe I shouldn't have?"

But in the end, I realize that I love to share and blogging has been such a wonderful outlet for me.

Oh there was one kind of scary thing that happened once.

I got this email from a guy. Now I'm with you, I can't imagine most of the guys I know liking my blog. I don't usually open emails from strangers, but since it had no attachments and it was about my artwork I took a chance (This one time!) And he was saying about how he loved my blog and how we had a lot of things in common and how he wanted to have someone to chat with.....Oh YEA!!!! BIG RED Flags went up!!!! LOL

Guys emailing outta the blue wanting to'chat' IS freaky!!! lol
Shoulda emiled him back saying my HUSBAND and I would LOVE to chit chat with ya!! LOL

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why my email is not posted on my blog!

Though, the scary thing for me was finding out my MIL found my blog (she was using it for guilt value "Oh, the only way I can find out what is going on in your life is to read your blog!) :rolleyes: It really, really, creeped me out to think she was reading it. I hadn't said anything derogatory about her on it, but now I knew I would have to think carefully about what I said in future.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
That's why my email is not posted on my blog!

Though, the scary thing for me was finding out my MIL found my blog (she was using it for guilt value "Oh, the only way I can find out what is going on in your life is to read your blog!) :rolleyes: It really, really, creeped me out to think she was reading it. I hadn't said anything derogatory about her on it, but now I knew I would have to think carefully about what I said in future.

That is scary!! My mom reads my blog sometimes but never comments so I don't ever know what she reads. She just always seems to know what I am talking about.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I have a different take on this... I read tons of blogs... when I come across something funny or cool and my husband is in the room I read it to him or have him come over and read it. So my husband could potentially 'read' someone's blog from church... he doesn't actually follow it, just saw what I pointed out to him, but he might compliment them on it when he saw them at church.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #19  
Total Quack

LOL! I think this is funny. I am very careful of what I put in my blog - and should be a LOT more careful about what I put here on SCS. I have caught so many folks at church (leaders, too!) sharing things that they really should keep to themselves or should - at least - keep off of the internet. For some reason there are so many that think that what they put on MySpace or their blog is personal and private. Cracks me up. A gazillion people are out there ... and we think that our blogs are private! LOL!!!! It's funny, though, when I realize that someone *is* reading it..... :rolleyes:

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

I've been hesitant to use my blog lately because I want to write about my sons journey in public school and it's effects on the family. I'm just concerned about how people will take it. I had looked at many reasons why he just doesn't seem to fit in. He hasn't been diagnosed with anything, but I have a strong suspicion based on my research. I have been looking for parents with children like mine who post places and maybe chat with, but haven't been extremely successful. A lady at work has been a great resource - has a child with it and agrees with my assesment. It's just a lonely process. I'm also concerned that his friends will read it when they are older and it's his private stuff. I guess thats why I'm avoiding blogging about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellView Post
LOL! I think this is funny. I am very careful of what I put in my blog - and should be a LOT more careful about what I put here on SCS. I have caught so many folks at church (leaders, too!) sharing things that they really should keep to themselves or should - at least - keep off of the internet. For some reason there are so many that think that what they put on MySpace or their blog is personal and private. Cracks me up. A gazillion people are out there ... and we think that our blogs are private! LOL!!!! It's funny, though, when I realize that someone *is* reading it..... :rolleyes:
It's not necessarily that I think it is private, but that there are different versions of me that are out there: there is JanTink the knitter who knew a little bit of fame that way (not much, but a little) is a little different (though not much) than JanTink the stamper/scrapbooker. Then there is Family Jan and Jan the Mom. It's just like on Seinfeld when George kept saying, "Independent George is dying!!!" :mrgreen: When my MIL reads my blog, WORLDS COLLIDE!!! She doesn't know JanTink at all, you see...she only knows Family Jan. So I don't feel free to be JanTink in front of her...it's strange, I know....as long as I don't start talking to the other Jans and hearing voices, I guess I'll be fine! :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 02:33 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

JanTink
It's not necessarily that I think it is private, but that there are different versions of me that are out there:
That's how I feel also Jan. My MIL reads my blog. She's also an artist, so it's okay. I love her to death, but I have to still think about what I post at times.

Yea, I thought about not having my email on my blog, but I came to the realization that nothing is private anymore. If someone really wants my information all they have to do is know my name. And that's on my blog too!

Having my email addy on there has been more helpful than hurtful. So for me, even though I can absolutely see your point, it's better to leave it on my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
That's exactly how I feel!! One of the men told my DH that I have "some stamping room". My DH didn't even know I put a video on my blog of my craft room. Of course it is now deleted because I sound like a big geek on it!
I saw this video and you weren't geeky at all! You put that on there for your core audience, which is stamping women right? You should put it back. The men said they ENJOYED your blog... that means everything! They didn't say, "I like her blog and read it all the time, but I think she's geeky in that video!" They (and us) enjoy your blog because you are yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluvsj711View Post
I saw this video and you weren't geeky at all! You put that on there for your core audience, which is stamping women right? You should put it back. The men said they ENJOYED your blog... that means everything! They didn't say, "I like her blog and read it all the time, but I think she's geeky in that video!" They (and us) enjoy your blog because you are yourself!
Okay, I'll put the video back up. I will get over my fears......... eventually!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #25  
Total Quack

Quote:

It's not necessarily that I think it is private, but that there are different versions of me that are out there: there is JanTink the knitter who knew a little bit of fame that way (not much, but a little) is a little different (though not much) than JanTink the stamper/scrapbooker. Then there is Family Jan and Jan the Mom. It's just like on Seinfeld when George kept saying, "Independent George is dying!!!" :mrgreen: When my MIL reads my blog, WORLDS COLLIDE!!! She doesn't know JanTink at all, you see...she only knows Family Jan. So I don't feel free to be JanTink in front of her...it's strange, I know....as long as I don't start talking to the other Jans and hearing voices, I guess I'll be fine! :mrgreen:

ROTFL!!!!! I can SO relate to this. We are *suppose* to be different people, but we really have no choice. I don't think I can ever be the 'same' around all of them....

I'm just glad that my mil doesn't know what a blog is and that my mom calls it a 'blob.' LOL!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #26  
Total Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
Okay, I'll put the video back up. I will get over my fears......... eventually!

Your video was just fine!!!

Now, FACE your fears! LOL!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I'm way past embarrassment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

..it's strange, I know....as long as I don't start talking to the other Jans and hearing voices, I guess I'll be fine! :mrgreen:
LOL! I love it! I have a funny story to share about blogging. Recently we were in our old neighborhood because of a family wedding out that way. We haven't lived there for 7 1/2 years and haven't spoken to any of our old neighbors in probably 6 years. It was a nice day so a lot of our old neighbors were outside so we stopped to chat and catch up. When I walked up to one old neighbor(Hi Cindy!) she immediately asked us how our trip to California was. I was taken aback. I haven't spoken to her in 6 years. How did she know? It turns out she found my blog by cruising splitcoast. She saw my icon and recognized me. She's been reading my blog ever since. You just never know who you are reaching.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathleenhView Post
LOL! I love it! I have a funny story to share about blogging. Recently we were in our old neighborhood because of a family wedding out that way. We haven't lived there for 7 1/2 years and haven't spoken to any of our old neighbors in probably 6 years. It was a nice day so a lot of our old neighbors were outside so we stopped to chat and catch up. When I walked up to one old neighbor(Hi Cindy!) she immediately asked us how our trip to California was. I was taken aback. I haven't spoken to her in 6 years. How did she know? It turns out she found my blog by cruising splitcoast. She saw my icon and recognized me. She's been reading my blog ever since. You just never know who you are reaching.
That is a funny story!! I'm sure that will happen to me someday, too!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes