Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever just "make" a card?

I guess I mean, do you send or give away all the cards you make? or since you have the supplies you make them in bulk for fun..like cause your in a rhythm and why stop making them. I would like to make cards and send them to someone, but it would be "just because." I am just curious and also, do you make your own envelopes? thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 04:34 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

i do make cards just b/c. i have a lot on hand to give away whenever. i buy my envelopes though......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Absolutely I "just make a card" I love playig with them and maybe I will find a "need" for them later! lol I also like to put them in my dad's gift shop so as not to have so many at my house....unfortunately this led me to sign with TAC as I can't demo SU and sell in a stationary place ie my dad's.....and after all that is just too handy and such a good reason to "just make a card" he "needs" them in the shop lol. I think making cards is one of the greatest things about stamping!!!

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 05:06 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I definitely make cards "just because". If I have an urge to stamp, then I stamp. It also makes it easier when people at work ask if I have made any new cards. I have sold many cards at work that I made "just because". It is also good to have a stock to pull from for birthdays and such. I find that when I try to make a card specifically for an occasion, I have a harder time coming up with something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default I realize

after posting this, it was silly, but I like to play and dabble in making cards. I know that making cards is mostly what stamping is about. I just wondered if you made them just to make them...thanks for not making it sound too silly..yet. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 05:33 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Hi Shelley,

You got me. I usually make cardfronts as samples or swap cards. I do make a lot of Thank you cards for my customers (They get one in every bag when they receive their order.)
But I am never ready for birthday or Thank you cards. Sad but true. Maybe that should be my New Years resolution for this year. Stamp some cards ahead of time for all kinds of occasions.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:19 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well...my goal for this year is to become much more organized.
I bought a birthday calendar. I have listed all the birthdays of friends and family on the calendar. I have broken the months into quarters. I have picked a day to sit and stamp card for all the birthdays/anniversaries/a few extras for that quarter. This quarter my day to stamp is January 22nd. I have 3 card designs already to stamp, 1 for a female, 1 for a younger adult/child, 1 for unisex.
Then next quarter(starting in April) I will pick another day and stamp those.
I will do about 12 extra to have on hand for BRAKs. I am also HOPING and PLANNING to get my Christmas cards done in the summer this year. I always hate having to scramble to find cards, and get them sent out. It stresses me. And it always tempts me to ...gasp...BUY cards...BUT I NEVER DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:20 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually sit down and crank out a few cards at a time because once I have all my stuff out, I might as well! We have a large family and I try to make as many bithday cards as I can because I will forget someone and need a card at a moments notice. I don't like making the same card twice for some reason, so I spend alot of time fooling around with design.I buy my envelopes, but stamp on them!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I stamp daily; but almost never "just make a card" except for holiday cards. I make 20-30 cards for any given holiday and loads of Thank you and Birthday cards.

I find it easier and more personal to stamp on demand ~ that is I am making a special card and I know the recipient and have tried to tailor the card to their tastes (for RAK I try to match what I beleive they'll enjoy most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 06:39 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love to just make cards! I need to be a bit more organized though! These ladies always have a good idea for that. I do buy envelopes and stamp on them. You made me stop and think about having cards on hand for spur of the moment things. Thanks you just gave me a reason to stamp more!! My DH will love it! I love any excuse to stamp!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #11  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default I...

I "just" make cards all the time. In fact, I have them KIND OF organized by occasion and I probably have at least 300 cards right now in my card arsenal. I enjoy just sitting and stamping "just because". I feel that's when my creativity is best... when I am not under pressure to make a certain thing. Even if you don't have anyone to send them to right away, you will! There are requests for RAKS, birthdays and anniversaries. Just stamp and eventually you will use use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh yes! Definitely! Lots of times! I just made 2 birthday cards for my FIL and BIL who are both celebrating their birthdays this week!

I give LOTS of them away all the time!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 08:06 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I tend more to stamp on demand! I too think it's a little more personal, I can use colors and accessories I know they would like!

Though lately I've been stamping things other than cards, (accordian books, fruit cans, etc) and have become addicted!!!! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 09:22 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Actually, I do a little of both. If I'm in a groove, I'll just make stuff till I'm done or it's time to go to bed. But I haven't yet gotten my supply up to the point where I'm prepared for the events that come along (b-days, thank yous, etc) so I'm still making cards on-demand as well. I, too, am hoping to be better prepared in this new year!! And also to actually keep up with the b-days as they come along. Keep your fingers crossed! hehehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

[quote="NiceRAK"]I bought a birthday calendar. I have listed all the birthdays of friends and family on the calendar. I have broken the months into quarters. I have picked a day to sit and stamp card for all the birthdays/anniversaries/a few extras for that quarter. This quarter my day to stamp is January 22nd. quote]

this is a super idea...I want to make cards for others instead of BUYING since I have supplies to use up. thanks for the suggestions about the day to set aside to do cards and stamp them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Now my method may not produce "personal" cards for every person on my list. But the people that are on my list when I create do get personal cards created just for them. For example, my mother, father, sisters, husband, children,...you get the idea. I create EXTRA cards female, child/teen, and unisex to have on hand for those people that pop up unexpectedly. I don't create well on demand. My work reflects hurried work or lack of just the right supplies. So for me this system works best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

I make cards all the time... I used to sell them at work. I am a teacher and used to just leave the box in the staff lounge. I have moved to a new school, so have not started this there. When I feel more comfortable with the new staff, I will start again. :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I tend to stamp when I have a new idea in my head. while I have the stuff out I make several variations, colors, etc. I keep some in a basket to send out as needed, and the rest I put in a box for my mom. She loves note cards, so I give her about 50 every christmas. It gives me a good excuse to stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 08:20 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I love to make cards just to make cards. I have a whole box of them sitting there. I send some out but then I just get caught up in the fun of using the SU supplies and go crazy making them. I buy my envelopes at Staples though. Unfortunatley I am not that crafty !! :(

[/i]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I do just make cards just because. When I make a card I usually make several at a time because I am on a row! I file them and then when something comes up I am ready to send a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Re: I realize

Quote:

Originally Posted by smerrscrap
I know that making cards is mostly what stamping is about. I just wondered if you made them just to make them...
I think that nowadays, making cards is how most new stampers are introduced to stamping, and that use is emphasized by all the magazines. I've been stamping for more than 15 years (longer than some, not as long as others), and I got into it for the quirkiness! I first saw envelope art, that is, stamped art on envelopes sent through the mail. That was and has always been my first stamping love.

So, just for the fun of it, I like to stamp envelopes I mail, whether they're just bills or personal correspondence. (I have a lot of fun stamping my tax return envelope!) Of course, I enjoy making cards too, but I usually make them only when I have a need (an upcoming birthday or other personal event, Christmas or other major calendar holiday), and mostly because I don't really have the time to just stamp (wish I did! maybe when the baby's a little older....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

In the last year I have gotten better at making cards "just beacuse". I make myself create 2 or more copies of the things I make so I can add it to my pile of cards ready to go! I actually have a box with them, seperated by catagory. It has been nice to go.. oh I need a card.. and actually not have to quick make anything. My dad has been shopping in my card box lately too!

Now, I do have to say.. I am not very good at remembering to mail on particular events.. I am usually late..lol. That's what I have to get better at. I strive to be like Lana the mailing queen!! I have made myself sit down and address and mail cards the last couple months.. and am trying to put aside time to do that more often.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My best cards are ones I "just made". I get better results when there's no pressure. I keep a file box of cards on hand, and try to keep the assortment as varied as possible so I'll have what I need at the last minute. Some of my non-stamping girlfriends really like getting an assortment of hand-made cards as a gift on their birthday. I make a folder to double as the birthday card and fill it with a dozen or so cards and envies - usually all different!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I make and send out about 110-150 cards a year, to friends, relatives, special occasions that come up... This is IN ADDITION to the 125-150 cards I make and send at Christmas. My husband used to buy a few each month and send them all, but when I retired early from teaching, I took over the 'list' as well as making all the cards instead of him having to buy them. I keep a file of cards on hand in a basket for the occasions we cover the most. When a section is getting low, I flag it with a sticky note to remind me to make more of that kind. I love doing it and people love getting them. When I make cards, I try to adapt the design to the occasion I need to make next. Then, when it comes time to select the cards to send, I can go through (like browsing at the store) and select the cards to match the individuals. I, too, have trouble coming up with specific cards 'on demand' and seem to get an almost mental creativity block at having to make a card this way. I always keep some blank in the middle, to adapt as needed, and also go back sometimes and add a few 'extras' to further personalize the cards. I keep the birthday file on my computer and print out the sheets for the year. When I've made the card, I check it on the list so I'll keep track and not skip someone. My system is quite similar, actually, to the one described in this forum. Great ideas! I love this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
StampinCrazyGirl (Lana - rhymes with Donna)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default i make way to many cards!

i like to make cards for the fun of it. But then when i need to give away a card, i have to make another personilized card for them. then i find that my collection keeps building, but oh well............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I love to make cards just for the fun of it -- after all, that's the fun of it. I keep them in plastic containers figuring I'll have them all ready to go when I need one, but then it seems like when I need one, the ones I've made just don't work and I end up custom-making a card for each recipient anyhow. But who cares? This just gives me another excuse to stamp, and that's the fun of it!
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes